PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thought about Maria's ranking...

Lemonskin.
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:22 AM
The way I see it, she has a LOT less points to drop at the beginning of next year than most of the other top players. If she has a pretty good opening to 2005, she'd quite possibly overtake Myskina to be #1 Russian :D.

AnaIvanovicFan
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:25 AM
she'll win the OZ open and get to #1 by the end of the year

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:26 AM
But myskina didn´t burn during the first few months of 2004 either...

Greatest
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:28 AM
she'll win the OZ open and get to #1 by the end of the year

What's more amazing about this YEC crown ( aside from beating Serena) was that Maria BEAT the current French and US Open titleholders enroute to the crown.

Freewoman33
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:46 AM
I think she will probably become #1 even if she doesn't win any GS titles before wimbledon. She might just have to make the quarters or semis. The real question would be, how she will handle the pressure of defending her Wimby title and maintaining a high ranking.

xan
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:10 PM
So Myskina has two Tier 1 titles worth of points to defend before RG!

She has been playing well towards the end of this year, but it would be tough for her to hold off a good run by Maria.

tennisjunky
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Serena's Miami points wont be a factor until late March. By then she will be a lock for top 5, maybe even top 3. Sharapova and Dementieva both don't have a lot to defend the first couple of months in the season and Sharapova will contend for number one sooner than anyone would have guessed.

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Serena can earn plenty of points early on...she should be able to rise...

jacobruiz
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Serena's Miami points wont be a factor until late March. By then she will be a lock for top 5, maybe even top 3. Sharapova and Dementieva both don't have a lot to defend the first couple of months in the season and Sharapova will contend for number one sooner than anyone would have guessed.
A few months ago I never would have believed Maria would have a chance to become number 1 so soon! I hope she (and all the girls) has a good rest and gets away from tennis a little. Maria will be able to play all the tournements she (and her agents) want after her birthday in April; I hope she follows Serena and Venus's example and doesn't overdo it.