PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Darko

Halardfan
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Finally saw this moive last night...a year or three late I know...

It was such a truly weird film, one that was hear to grasp, but haunting somehow...it stays with you.

It felt like the kinda film that could change your life, if you only knew what it all meant...

Anyone else have an opinion on what this weird but rather wonderful movie was about and what they made of it?

Halardfan
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:27 AM
I love the bit where they play "Head Over Heels" by Tears for Fears over a scene of the kids arrving at school, so cool...

Plus the closing "Mad World" sequence...

And most of the weird and wonderful stuff in-between...

The rabbit really scares me though. :eek:

smarties
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:33 AM
I've never been able to see the whole film, I kept on falling asleep, this movie is way overrated.

SilK
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Def. Not Overrated! Brilliant Movie...

Mullholland Drive, now there we have an overrated movie!

Dava
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:47 AM
I hate it...I have to say I much prefer Mulholland Dr...maybe its cos i didnt get Mulholland Drive straight away...

beauty_is_pink
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:05 AM
i love the movie. so deep dark and creepy!
jake is oh so hot :drool:

jenny161185
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:10 AM
got the dvd a while ago i thought it was interesting im still a bit baffled because ive heard many different perspectives on it

smarties
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:04 AM
I agree with Dava, Mulholland Drive was a masterpiece, verry deep and profound.

Berlin_Calling
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:07 AM
best movie...ever.

Experimentee
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:00 PM
I thought it was crap. I get what it was supposed to be about, but i still didnt like it. The rabbit was scary.

CondiLicious
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:41 PM
I hate it...I have to say I much prefer Mulholland Dr...maybe its cos i didnt get Mulholland Drive straight away...
Well, I liked Donnie Darko... It's one of my favourite movies... I like the look of the film but it's weirdness is very superficial, it's really not as profound as it's made out to be so like you I prefer Mulholland Drive. That was a movie that I had to watch a couple of times to understand and it made me feel really uncomfortable when I was watching. It's weirdness disturbed me.

Donnie Darko is a really good movie for somebody to watch who perhaps isn't used to watching movies that make you "work" before you can unravel its basic narrative... A good movie to prepare you for being able to appreciate more "harder going" movies. I still really like it though and never tire of watching it. It looks so good.

Monica_Rules
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:58 PM
I didn't really see what all the fuss was about.I watched it bout 3 weeks ago.Thought it was a decent film but not 'life changing'.I can understand why people don't really understand the ending but i have a scientfic mind and have to have a distinct explanation for things.If your more phylosophical then you could go on for ages about it.

rightous
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:33 PM
It has to be one of the best movies ever, like Jen i got the dvd and its so good hearing the directors/actors viewpoint on it. It challenges you to think which in todays market is amazing.

Mulholland Drive, like what the heck is that about????

ys
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:16 PM
This thread made me wonder.. where is decemberlove these days? I haven't seen her posting lately..

raquel
Aug 6th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Finally saw this moive last night...a year or three late I know...

It was such a truly weird film, one that was hear to grasp, but haunting somehow...it stays with you.

It felt like the kinda film that could change your life, if you only knew what it all meant...

Anyone else have an opinion on what this weird but rather wonderful movie was about and what they made of it?
*bump*

I just watched this movie tonight and I agree Chris - it was haunting, it does stay with you, it is weird and wonderful and it did feel like one of those life-changing movie's if only you knew exactly what was going on. And Jake was cute.

Seriously I'm still kind of numb. I may need to watch it again soon to try and understand it a bit better.

~Rachel~
Aug 7th, 2005, 12:23 AM
I've just been talking about this on another forum! I saw it tonight for the first time and really didn't understand it to start with! But I think now I grasp the whole idea about time travel and parallel universes!

So cute that Jake's real life sister, Maggie, plays his sister on screen!

And I loved Drew Barrymore's scenes, gotta love that girl :D

Mateo Mathieu
Aug 7th, 2005, 05:04 AM
WORST MOVIE EVER I'VE SEEN! :mad: TOO WAY OVERHYPED! :o

Donnie Darko absolutely has NO plot! Tell me what is this movie all about, anyway? :retard: I don't have a fuckin' clue what was it all about... I don't care if you 'you got it' because it's absolutely rubbish! :lol:

At least Mulholland Drive is way too better and has a plot! What a masterpiece film!

canuckfan
Aug 7th, 2005, 05:37 AM
I really liked Donnie Darko and I agree that it's quite hunting. The surprising thing about it is that all along you think it's just a weird movie about a schyzofrenic kid but it ends up being a sci fi with a somewhat logical plot. And I really like the song at end (Mad World).

But I agree with Alex that Mulholand Drive is way better (by the way I love your avatar and location). I don't get tired of watching it because each times I discover new things, wich is very rare with movies these days.

Benny
Aug 7th, 2005, 05:38 AM
I watched it early this year but I didn't understand it - it was a good film though, reading up on it I have a bit more of an idea on what really happened.

Berlin_Calling
Aug 7th, 2005, 06:23 AM
WORST MOVIE EVER I'VE SEEN! :mad: TOO WAY OVERHYPED! :o

Donnie Darko absolutely has NO plot! Tell me what is this movie all about, anyway? :retard: I don't have a fuckin' clue what was it all about... I don't care if you 'you got it' because it's absolutely rubbish! :lol:

At least Mulholland Drive is way too better and has a plot! What a masterpiece film!

are you kidding? i said it before in this thread in 2004 and ill say it again; Donnie Darko is genious.

PamShriverRockz
Aug 7th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Donnie Darko is good. I love Mulholland Drive more, but then I'm a huge David Lynch fan...FilmsThatMessWithYourHeadRockz ;)

Scotso
Aug 7th, 2005, 07:46 AM
One of the best movies ever made.

Princess Sarah.
Aug 7th, 2005, 08:03 AM
i loved it
CHUT UP!

controlfreak
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM
It wasn't that good, if you take off the supposedly thought-provoking faux-intellectual ending you basically have 90 minutes of drivel that doesn't stand up as a film at all.

If Donnie Darko was a three-course meal it would be a little salmon carpaccio for the starter, a huge dish of dirty lettuce leaves and cardboard for the main course, and one ugly-looking week-old profiterole for dessert. Mulholland Drive would be baked lobster with seafood paella, a huge tasty succulent steak and chips, and a gigantic mousse au chocolat, plus a free espresso with little biscuits and a doggy bag to take home whatever you couldn't eat.

wipeout
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Well, the movie Donnie Darko is supposed to be that the universe splits into a tangent universe and everyone in it is doomed unless superhero Donnie can fix it. Donnie is being guided to fix it by an external force acting through people he knows. No, really. I read the stuff on the DVD. ;)

An error in the film background I noticed is that there's a mistake in the Philosophy of Timetravel book on the DVD in that it mentions black holes but was supposed to be written long before the term was actually coined by physicist John Wheeler. :)

kabuki
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:35 PM
i loved it
CHUT UP!

Chut Up!!

:haha:

Maryamator
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:39 PM
:haha: chut up :haha

V-MAC
Aug 7th, 2005, 02:09 PM
hmm, I've only watched bits of it before.I should have watched it last night when it was on tv :o instead of watching some weird disturbing french film on BBC2:o:o I must sit down though and watch it all through eventually some time.

Mercury Rising
Aug 7th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I love it. Great movie, great music (I have the double CD OST + score).

Mulholland Drive is also great but I wouldn't compare them.

UDiTY
Aug 7th, 2005, 05:35 PM
The second time I saw it I liked it alot. After the first time I had nightmares about his bunny friend hahaha.

But yeah after I watch it I can't stop thinking about it, and that's what it's for.

best best better
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Donnie Darko: 2
Mullholland Drive: 4

rand
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:59 AM
it's ok, but not nearly as good as Mulholland Dr....or lost highway for that matter...or many other much more intelligent and better made movies...
it's ok but certainly not brilliant, and CERTAINLY not one of the best movies ever....

~Cherry*Blossom~
Aug 8th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I taped it on Saturday and finally got round to watching it, although I didn't understand the ending!

I'm gonna have to watch it again tonight!

Martian KC
Aug 8th, 2005, 07:03 PM
One of my favorite films of all time.

Jakeev
Aug 8th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I've never been able to see the whole film, I kept on falling asleep, this movie is way overrated.

It was way overrated for you cause you didn't get it. I had to see it a few times to appreciate it and find it to be a brilliant film.

People want scifi to be about special effects and non-stop action nowadays. But this movie was a throw back to the days when scifi films made your think and not just sit at the edge of your seat.

Brilliant film.......

controlfreak
Aug 8th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I had to see it a few times to appreciate it and find it to be a brilliant film.

What's the point of a film you have to see multiple times to appreciate? 99% of people would see it once and forget about it, because nobody wants to waste 4 hours of their life on something they didn't appreciate. What I want is a movie I can appreciate by seeing once, and still appreciate, or appreciate even more, on seeing it again.

Jakeev
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:54 PM
What's the point of a film you have to see multiple times to appreciate? 99% of people would see it once and forget about it, because nobody wants to waste 4 hours of their life on something they didn't appreciate. What I want is a movie I can appreciate by seeing once, and still appreciate, or appreciate even more, on seeing it again.

Again, people don't appreciate movies like this because they don't get it in the first sitting. Most people, including myself, often don't pay immediate attention alot of heavy or intricate details.

Donnie Darko was definitely one of those films. And well worth the extended viewing that I gave it.

Mercury Rising
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:37 PM
it's ok, but not nearly as good as Mulholland Dr....or lost highway for that matter...or many other much more intelligent and better made movies...
it's ok but certainly not brilliant, and CERTAINLY not one of the best movies ever....
And what's so special about Lost Highway? Also don't forget it was the directors first ever movie, not a bad way to begin, I'd say.