PDA

View Full Version : A healthy Serena should have won the match

Jakeev
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Well putting all the Serena and Maria haters and idiots aside, I think it's time for a rational post about the match's outcome.

First of all, congrats to Maria for winning the final and for Serena who fought hard all week and had so many flashes of her old self.

But to be frank, this really should have been Serena's title. Maria definitely was not the same player we saw at Wimbledon this evening.

She missed many key returns at critical moments and was virtually shell shocked when Serena came back from the injury timeout and just ripped her to shreads with furious winners.

If anything, this match truly showed how much more improvement Maria still needs to become a much more accomplished tennis player.

Sharapova was still very intense on court and often served well, but against Serena who is only going to get better in 2005, you cannot afford to be missing the way she did today.

So yeah I think Maria got a little bit lucky today and bad luck for Serena, but just looking forward to 2005 and seeing what the year brings for both of them.

Have a nice break you two!

deckham
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:00 AM
i disagree... masha deserved this match. she played just as well as serena along with serena's timely timeout.....

Jakeev
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:04 AM
i disagree... masha deserved this match. she played just as well as serena along with serena's timely timeout.....
Then we must have watched two different matches.....

Dan23
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Well putting all the Serena and Maria haters and idiots aside, I think it's time for a rational post about the match's outcome.You can be assured that being in this forum at the moment this thread wont be rational for very long..:)

I think by the end of the 2nd set things were level..the tide waas swinging a little Maria's way..
Had Serena been 100% fit in the 3rd set the first 4 games would have been played much differently..
So its hard to say what the outcome would have been in that case..

franny
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:32 AM
I was very impressed by the way Serena played in the first two sets. SHe was playing within herself and allowing Maria to make the errors. That really says a lot about her maturity. I think though that by the end of the second set, Maria had gotten back into it. Honestly, if Serena didn't get injured, I wouldn't have known who would have won that third set. I really wouldn't, because they seemed pretty even to me.

Gowza
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:38 AM
if serena was healthy and not injured i think it could have gone either way, we dont really know how it would have gone had serena not got injured. personally i believe that the injury was cause for serena playing so well that 3rd set, she just decided to let loose and i think if she hadnt got injured she would not have been thinking that way so wouldnt have played quite so well. im not saying serena would have lost, im not saying sharapova would have lost, the first 2 sets were split and its tough to say who would have won it had both been fully healthy.

Sharapower
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:43 AM
What did Maria say a few weeks ago ?
"Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but didn't".
Serena played a hell of a tennis at the end of the first set and the beginning of the second, Masha was totally outplayed, but then I started to think it was not possible that Serena held this level up to the end. IMHO she was overplaying and her body didn't handle it.

GoDominique
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Should have - maybe. Would have - who knows? :)

Paneru
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Yes, i feel Serena would've won it as well!

She handled herself very well and
did all that she could and should be proud!

This definitely shows she'll be right back up top
next year so long as she stays healthy! :)

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I think this thesis has some merit.....Serena was serving really really well for a set and a third and she was holding herself pretty well in the rallies....but we will never know.

But this match should give Serena a boost....her form was aproaching 2003 level at times again....hopefully she´s gonna work hard in the off-season and then I think we could see some great things from her next year.

Darling Nikki
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Well putting all the Serena and Maria haters and idiots aside, I think it's time for a rational post about the match's outcome.

First of all, congrats to Maria for winning the final and for Serena who fought hard all week and had so many flashes of her old self.

But to be frank, this really should have been Serena's title. Maria definitely was not the same player we saw at Wimbledon this evening.

She missed many key returns at critical moments and was virtually shell shocked when Serena came back from the injury timeout and just ripped her to shreads with furious winners.

If anything, this match truly showed how much more improvement Maria still needs to become a much more accomplished tennis player.

Sharapova was still very intense on court and often served well, but against Serena who is only going to get better in 2005, you cannot afford to be missing the way she did today.

So yeah I think Maria got a little bit lucky today and bad luck for Serena, but just looking forward to 2005 and seeing what the year brings for both of them.

Have a nice break you two!

This is only your opinion.

Jaime Bahena
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Yes, i feel Serena would've won it as well!

She handled herself very well and
did all that she could and should be proud!

This definitely shows she'll be right back up top
next year so long as she stays healthy! :)

Truer words were never spoken:"she'll be right back up top next year SO LONG AS SHE STAYS HEALTHY."

rue
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:16 PM
I think that the match would have been close and probably Serena would have won cos she did play really well in the first set.