PDA

View Full Version : Does this mean an end to threads downgrading Masha as a tier III Queen?

Junex
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:18 AM
what a great year to "STFU" the haters!

and now the so called fluke WImby champ, money hungry tier III queen from Siberia becomes the Year End Champion of 2004!

I like Myskina but i so wanted to hear her comment about this win.

Whatever!!! :p

Masha, you just made my WTA season.
In the absence of Justine you have given me inspiration to spend my usual 16 hours on internet. You have given me reason to look forward to and get excited everytime you present yourself on court.
You are a great player and you have shown us all the mentality of a great champion.

Dan23
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Well said..
..but the hate will continue..:)

Gowza
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:21 AM
sorry but i think with the serena injury the threads will continue, but every player has those sort of threads.

Jeleno Benesovo
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:24 AM
always will be some Sour Grapes, although from now on will be harder for them to downgrade Maria ;)

Junex
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:25 AM
they can hate all they want but still 2004 is Masha's Year!

faboozadoo15
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:27 AM
let us be serious ....... any other year, 3/4 wins in this tournament would've been considered average. Myskina, Vera and Kuznet despite having good years this year arn't FANTASTIC FANTASTIC players. They are good yes, but if this was a normal year they would still be ranked around 10 and not 5.
And then the final ... well ..... we all know what happened there.
are you ALREADY blocking it out that she defeated serena? just thought it was funny you didn't mention her...

ys
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:28 AM
let us be serious ....... any other year, 3/4 wins in this tournament would've been considered average. Myskina, Vera and Kuznet despite having good years this year arn't FANTASTIC FANTASTIC players.

Myskina and Kouznetsova? In 10 years those names will still be remembered.. Clijsters or Mauresmo? probably not.. Talking about who is fantastic and who is not.. And you defeinitely classify Clijsters and Mauresmo, don't you?

franny
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Who cares. Maria has won Wimbledon and the YEC. She's the number 4 player in the world. It doesnt' matter what people think, it only matters what goes down in history and in the books. Don't let people bring you down, and don't let people bring maria's achievements down. If you don't like those threads, do what I do, don't read them and don't acknowledge them. Occasionally when you are bored and in the typing mood, you can respond, but otherwise, just take it as whatever. There are hate threads for every player, especially when one gains notoriety that soon and that fast.

Dan23
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:29 AM
let us be serious ....... any other year, 3/4 wins in this tournament would've been considered average. Myskina, Vera and Kuznet despite having good years this year arn't FANTASTIC FANTASTIC players. They are good yes, but if this was a normal year they would still be ranked around 10 and not 5.
And then the final ... well ..... we all know what happened there.
Theres only 2 players missing from the "usual" top 10 :shrug:
Myskina is number 3 and deserves to be..who are FANTASTIC FANTASTIC players then?

Jeleno Benesovo
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:30 AM
they can hate all they want but still 2004 is Masha's Year! I second that :yeah:

mrush2004
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Who cares. Maria has won Wimbledon and the YEC. She's the number 4 player in the world. It doesnt' matter what people think, it only matters what goes down in history and in the books. Don't let people bring you down, and don't let people bring maria's achievements down. If you don't like those threads, do what I do, don't read them and don't acknowledge them. Occasionally when you are bored and in the typing mood, you can respond, but otherwise, just take it as whatever. There are hate threads for every player, especially when one gains notoriety that soon and that fast.

couldnt have said it any better.

Junex
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:31 AM

hmmm...franny you are being a granny... :devil:
preach girl! :wavey:

alexusjonesfan
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:32 AM
2 years ago, I remember Nastya being called Queen of the Tier III's. Look how far she's come since then :p

AjdeNate!
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:33 AM
The hate brigade (for any player) will always find a way to spew their garbage and pathetically attempt to promote their favorite as the best thing ever.

moby
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Theres only 2 players missing from the "usual" top 10 :shrug:
Myskina is number 3 and deserves to be..who are FANTASTIC FANTASTIC players then?
the fantastic fantastic players are venus and serena
because they've won 2 titles each this year, and reached 1 grand slam final between them

myskina is lousy because she only won the french open
and svetlana is worse because she only won the us open
maria is the worst of the lot because she not only won wimbledon, but also the YEC
i hope that clears any doubts you have

AlexB
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:35 AM
The hate brigade (for any player) will always find a way to spew their garbage and pathetically attempt to promote their favorite as the best thing ever.

my favorite is not the best thing ever (not yet) but is the Number One ranked Russian right now..

tennischick
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:36 AM
because they've won 2 titles each this year, and reached 1 grand slam final between them

maria is the worst of the lot because she not only won wimbledon, but also the YEC
i hope that clears any doubts you have:lol: :lol: sarcasm is often lost on this board but not this time! :lol: :lol:

Atrixo
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:36 AM
are you ALREADY blocking it out that she defeated serena? just thought it was funny you didn't mention her...

"DeNile" isn't just a river in Egypt.... (cheesy, I know) :tape:

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Faboo: O.k....Serena got beaten fair and square.....so then it can be said that Nadia wasnīt lucky when she beat Monica at RG either then...O.k., can live with that.

Because I vaguely remember that people said it was because Monica had a foot injury, but if this Maria wins counts as if it was a healthy Serena, then....

starr
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:44 AM
what a great year to "STFU" the haters!

and now the so called fluke WImby champ, money hungry tier III queen from Siberia becomes the Year End Champion of 2004!

I like Myskina but i so wanted to hear her comment about this win.

Whatever!!! :p

Masha, you just made my WTA season.
In the absence of Justine you have given me inspiration to spend my usual 16 hours on internet. You have given me reason to look forward to and get excited everytime you present yourself on court.
You are a great player and you have shown us all the mentality of a great champion.

:haha: at this thread title..... adn yeah... the hate continues. How many threads are there now proclaiming that Maria didn't really win, Maria has no class.... etc... :rolleyes:

But :yippee: Maria has the trophy and the title and I'm so thrilled for her.

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Maria is good....she hit a spell after Wimbledon, but I think sheīs over that now. Girlīs good.

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Anybody with any common sense that watched the game would know that Maria had A LOT of help from Serena because of her serve. Come on now....4-0 in the 3rd set?...the way Serena was blazing those ground strokes across Maria's head!!! Maria aint know what the hell to do....YOU KNOW and MARIA KNOWS that if it hadn't been for Serena's Serve....Serena probaly would have won that 3rd set 6-0 or 6-1. Beware..the Serena Slam game is slowly but surely coming back...Maria caught a glimpse of it those first 4 games in the 3rd set. ;)

tennischick
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:46 AM
:haha: at this thread title..... adn yeah... the hate continues. How many threads are there now proclaiming that Maria didn't really win, Maria has no class.... etc... :rolleyes:

But :yippee: Maria has the trophy and the title and I'm so thrilled for her.and a million dollars. don't forget the million dollars :eek:

Gowza
those 1st 4 games of the 3rd set were far from low itf quality play, they were more like top wta tour play, after that maria took 6 straight games.

starr

i hope that clears any doubts you have
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:worship:

AjdeNate!
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Well Monica couldn't run to even get the groundstrokes, SW was on fire to get to hers. If Maria could have served every game, SW woulda won this match. :)

AjdeNate!
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:48 AM
and a million dollars. don't forget the million dollars :eek:
and the Porsche Cayanne. Don't forget the wheels.

starr
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:49 AM
eh! A million here and a million there....... :lol:

How much did she donate to the victims of the school attack? Just the car?

Gowza
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:49 AM
serena wouldnt have been playing like that if it wasnt for her serve, if she had her serve i doubt she would have been going for those shots as much.

Junex
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Anybody with any common sense that watched the game would know that Maria had A LOT of help from Serena because of her serve. Come on now....4-0 in the 3rd set?...the way Serena was blazing those ground strokes across Maria's head!!! Maria aint know what the hell to do....YOU KNOW and MARIA KNOWS that if it hadn't been for Serena's Serve....Serena probaly would have won that 3rd set 6-0 or 6-1. Beware..the Serena Slam game is slowly but surely coming back...Maria caught a glimpse of it those first 4 games in the 3rd set. ;)

Yes! "De Nile" is just a river in Egypt!!!

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:53 AM

Ya'll Maria fans act like she's the woman to beat...man please Maria barely escaped getting streamrolled by a injured player with an abonimal strain, 67 mph serves. Yeah she has a million but Serena has more than 70 million plus she's won 1 grand slam....Serena has won all grand slams in the singles and doubles, highest paid female athlete, olympic gold metal and the year ending championship. How's that for a rub in the face? :lol:

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:54 AM
If Iīm richard Iīm just showing Serena the tape of the 1st 4 games of the third-set. THAT is how Serena has to play...ALWAYS.

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Whereīs faboo?! I need to ask him/her a question...

mrush2004
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:56 AM
i still dont understand, what is maria suppose to do if serena ( and she did) get an injury during the match, turn over and die, and be like oh serena you can have the title cause your injured and if i win, it'll be like i didnt earn it so take it,

all maria can do night in and night out is to play whoever she is facing and get the Win and whatever the score will be, she got the win and thats what matters most.

AjdeNate!
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:57 AM
i still dont understand, what is maria suppose to do if serena ( and she did) get an injury during the match, turn over and die, and be like oh serena you can have the title cause your injured and if i win, it'll be like i didnt earn it so take it,

all maria can do night in and night out is to play whoever she is facing and get the Win and whatever the score will be, she got the win and thats what matters most.
She's supposed to do exactly what she didn't do. Unless "they" say she should have done something else, then she'd just be screwed. But really, once she learns to please the people on wtaworld.com that aren't her fans, only then can she be considered worthy. Doesn't she know this?

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Of course mrush...winning is winning.

Gowza
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:01 AM
if it wasnt for the injury serena wouldnt have played so well (groundies) in those 1st 4 games of the set, and serena was also moving extremely, the serve barely had an effect in those first 4 games and as soon as serena got a couple of games from the title maria started winning, 6 games straight in fact.

i dont think anyone is talking as if maria is the woman to beat, certainly im not but its stupid to say things like maria barely beat a player playing at low itf level because when she was playing at that low level maria was beating her easily ie the 6 games straight. those 1st 4 games were top level play at wta level, the movement the groundies, not the serve but the serve barely played a part because serena was playing so well. and serena was playing so well because of the injury, she thought she had no chance so she let loose. being 4-0 im surprised no one has said serena choked it away because even with the inury up to the 4-0 serena was playing amazing tennis and then suddenly stopped playing so well.

this match can be looked at in many ways. serena was injured but maria still had to win it so give credit where it is due.

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:02 AM
If Iīm richard Iīm just showing Serena the tape of the 1st 4 games of the third-set. THAT is how Serena has to play...ALWAYS.

THANK YOU!!!! No..THAT'S the way Serena USE to play when she and Venus was streamrolling the WTA tour back in 2002. The way Serena was blazing those balls across the court!!! :eek: Good gawd of might...poor Maria was SO confused....look like she was hit with a stupid stick. Thats the Serena I want to see in 05!!!!! :worship:

Hachiko
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Nicely put Junex.
I certainly hope so!

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:13 AM
if it wasnt for the injury serena wouldnt have played so well (groundies) in those 1st 4 games of the set, and serena was also moving extremely, the serve barely had an effect in those first 4 games and as soon as serena got a couple of games from the title maria started winning, 6 games straight in fact.

i dont think anyone is talking as if maria is the woman to beat, certainly im not but its stupid to say things like maria barely beat a player playing at low itf level because when she was playing at that low level maria was beating her easily ie the 6 games straight. those 1st 4 games were top level play at wta level, the movement the groundies, not the serve but the serve barely played a part because serena was playing so well. and serena was playing so well because of the injury, she thought she had no chance so she let loose. being 4-0 im surprised no one has said serena choked it away because even with the inury up to the 4-0 serena was playing amazing tennis and then suddenly stopped playing so well.

this match can be looked at in many ways. serena was injured but maria still had to win it so give credit where it is due.

As far as Iīm concerned..all credit to Maria. Did what she has to do.

Iīm not even dissapointed that Serena lost...already glad that she made the finals after not playing for so long. ALL her matches have been filled with drama and entertainment.

I just hope that she can remember what got into her in those 4 games in the third..THAT is the key thing she has to take from this match.

I donīt see how can you say that the injury didnīt affect her serving....she was barely jumping, only using hand-motion to serve..

starr
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:15 AM
I wish for once and for all people on this board would understand that Serena never actually loses a match. :rolleyes:

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:17 AM
Serena lost...everybodyīs saying that. She got beaten fair and square, starr...

If that holds true: Monica got beaten in her last match as well.....that foot injury?! No influence on the match at all.

AjdeNate!
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:17 AM
Serena lost...everybodyīs saying that. She got beaten fair and square, starr...

If that holds true: Monica got beaten in her last match as well.....that foot injury?! No influence on the match at all.
You missed my post on this.

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:21 AM
You missed my post on this.

what was the point?

Gowza
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:21 AM
As far as Iīm concerned..all credit to Maria. Did what she has to do.

Iīm not even dissapointed that Serena lost...already glad that she made the finals after not playing for so long. ALL her matches have been filled with drama and entertainment.

I just hope that she can remember what got into her in those 4 games in the third..THAT is the key thing she has to take from this match.

I donīt see how can you say that the injury didnīt affect her serving....she was barely jumping, only using hand-motion to serve..
im not saying the injury barely effected her serve, im saying her not being able to serve properly barely effected the outcome of those few games. i mean it did but it didnt, mentally it did because it made serena hit out but in-terms of the poor serving giving serena a disadvantage well it didnt make much of a difference in how those 4 games panned out because she was moving so well and hitting her groundies so well.

AjdeNate!
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:23 AM
what was the point?
It's not quite fair to compare the 2 injuries. In Monica's she couldn't even move to get to the groundstrokes. Whereas, after Serena spun in a Dementieva serve, she has the wheels and the ability to hit the ground winners. Getting there is 1/2 the battle.

But sadly still the bottom line is they both lost their respective matches.

Jeleno Benesovo
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:24 AM
I wish for once and for all people on this board would understand that Serena never actually loses a match. :rolleyes: :devil:

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:28 AM
It's not quite fair to compare the 2 injuries. In Monica's she couldn't even move to get to the groundstrokes. Whereas, after Serena spun in a Dementieva serve, she has the wheels and the ability to hit the ground winners. Getting there is 1/2 the battle.

But sadly still the bottom line is they both lost their respective matches.

Sadly.....but it was a Monica-fan who said that injuries donīt have bearance to match outcomes, soooo....

AjdeNate!
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Sadly.....but it was a Monica-fan who said that injuries donīt have bearance to match outcomes, soooo....
But by that logic, one could apply a plethora of falsities to your fave(s), as well. ;)

chris whiteside
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Ban round robins. It is not Miss Sharapova's fault the way the tournament was set up (and the same would have been said about Serena) but the winner was beaten by Amelie Mauresmo on her way to the title.

To me this is not the spirit of tennis. The winner should be the only unbeaten player.

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:35 AM
But by that logic, one could apply a plethora of falsities to your fave(s), as well. ;)

Even more?! :eek: ;)

Dave B
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Not really. Serena would've not played like that had she not been injured. The third set would've been completly different. And Maria got up in the second before Serena was injured. We don't know who would've won if serena remained healthy.

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Not really. Serena would've not played like that had she not been injured. The third set would've been completly different. And Maria got up in the second before Serena was injured. We don't know who would've won if serena remained healthy.

Might well have a point...I think the pain just made Serena go for risk or miss.

AlexB
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:53 AM
she should stop playing those tier VIII tournaments though where she is the only player in the top 30 to play, because at that point why not just count her exos and training sessions and give her points for those two as well

jacobruiz
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Maria played a very skillfull match. Don't know the exact stats, but she hit quite a few aces in the first set and was only broken once. Strange that Serena started to play her best after the injury timeout but Maria had the maturity and composure to win the next 6 games and the match.

Serena played very well, especially against Mauresmo, to get to the finals. But what a year for a 17-year-old - Wimbledon, The YEC champion, beating the three Russians she had struggled with earlier, and now finishing the year at 4th in the world. And Maria still has the Australian Open plus 3 1/2 more months before she turns 18!

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Yep...impressive for sure by Maria....but thatīs the trick. Next year sheīs gonna be the hunted instead of the hunter. Now everybody will like to beat Maria....interesting to see how she handles that.

Kesalauantait
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that BOTH Maria's fans and haters are being pathetic?

The lot of you, pathetic!

Why don't you all just enjoy the tennis instead of picking fights with each other?

Lemonskin.
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:28 AM
It won't mean that unfortunately.

Maria could win 10 grand slams and people would find a way to cheapen her somehow.

...But what can you do? :shrug:

Spunky83
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:05 AM
I hope she stops playing those little mini tourneys from now on...it was already embaressing to see her play a Tier IV-tourney (I donīt care how much money she got by doing this) after she won a Slam. Donīt tell me that a year-end champion and a slam winner will play further Tier IV-tourneys...

Spunky83
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:06 AM
she should stop playing those tier VIII tournaments though where she is the only player in the top 30 to play, because at that point why not just count her exos and training sessions and give her points for those two as well

Hey, youīre finally green :worship: :lol:

Dan23
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:10 AM
I hope she stops playing those little mini tourneys from now on...it was already embaressing to see her play a Tier IV-tourney (I donīt care how much money she got by doing this) after she won a Slam. Donīt tell me that a year-end champion and a slam winner will play further Tier IV-tourneys...
I very much doubt there'll be many Tier IV's on Maria's schedule next year..:)