PDA

View Full Version : Injured Serena just loses YEC. 3 set win for Sharapova 4-6,6-2,6-4.

PointBlank
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:56 AM
What a great way to close the way Masha :kiss:

:sad: :sad: Serena :sad: :sad: ..but a awesome way to close a not so great year :kiss:

Please recover from injury before AO Rena :sad:

PointBlank
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Sweet hand shake :)

UDiTY
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:57 AM
OMG her Dad is soo fucking annoying.

Serena what the heck happened!??!

Maria is freaking annoying:fiery:

Billabong
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Maria!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for her!!! Congrats!

Too bad for Serena, let's hope she'll be okay for next year!

Jeleno Benesovo
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Maria!!!! :banana: :bounce: :woohoo:

PointBlank
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Her dad was just..Yuri scares me.

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Too bad Serena....was doing really well and then fate struck. Seems like you girls can´t catch a break.

grmbl
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Serena :sad:

Maria :yeah:

Yuri FUCK OFF! :rolleyes:

SelesFan70
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Serena! The guts of a champion. :worship:

Nice win, Maria. Way to hang in there! :)

franny
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Maria: Congratulations. If anyone doubts your victory, just tell them that you beat Myskina, Kuznetsova, and Zvonereva. You were winning in the second set against Serena before she got injured, then she got injured and was still playing like a dream. It's amazing that you were able to recover after being down 4-0 in that third set.

Serena: You've had a great great great tournamnet. You showed that world that you are back. This injury is a tough one to take, but if anyone tells you that you were faking, slap them, just slap them. You fought, played well even when injured, and I know that next year, you will win a slam. There is no doubt about that. rest well.

Yuri: you are fast becoming one of hte most annoying tennis fathers alive. Oh my gosh the court is Maria's, not yours. Be happy for her, but no need to run down to the court. Geesh.

Great match both girls. Great tournament all around.

ys
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:03 AM
I think that Serena lost not just YEC.. I think she lost her AO as well.. Serious abdominal strain injury? Out for 4 months at least. See Venus. See Kournikova.

Dan23
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Well done Maria, a great effort all week :worship: :bowdown:
Great finish to the year, up to number 4 :D

..and the effort from Serena waas nothing short of amazing :yeah:

ys
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Too bad Serena....was doing really well and then fate struck. Seems like you girls can´t catch a break.
Break? She did not deserve one. When she rededicates herself to the game, then we'll talk.. And for as long as she prefers to show her naked breasts on public to practicing .. some will enjoy seeing those breasts.. and others will be winning big in tennis..

bandabou
Ys......stop saying those words!! Please, don´t let it be true!! :hysteric: :bigcry:

PointBlank
Mr. Dokic and Mr. Sharapov should be friends.

Chunchun
:mad: :mad:

mrush2004
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:06 AM
congrats masha from coming back a set down and than 4-0 in the 3rd set. way to fight

serena, get well, i was kind of angry at first with the injury timeout because it took masha off her game, and you won like 12 out of 13points in the first 4games and i was like how could that be, but obviously you were hurt so i take that shiet back,

one quick question, why does serena get injured all the time? does she try way too hard while playing? nothing seemed wrong with her in the first set, but did she try way too hard in the 2nd an dpulled soemthing?

anyone know.

tterb
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Some of my thoughts on YEC:

I thought Serena was constructing points quite well towards the end of the first set and beginning of the second. She really does use angles and changes of pace effectively when she needs to. And that stretch in the third set when she couldn't get anything on her serve but still went up 4-0... amazing. What incredible fight. I hope she also continues the net rushing she's shown in some matches at the YEC.

Get better ASAP for next season, Serena. :)

As for Maria... wow, has her movement improved from earlier this year. She's doing much better at not going for every single shot, too. Still takes a lot of risks, but to me it seemed like she's becoming more patient with her shot selection. That said, all the C'mon's were irritating towards the end of the match. I love seeing fire and emotion from players, but at about the eigth utterance in a row, it was getting ridiculous. You should be able to slam an injured opponent's 75 mph serves without blinking an eye...

When all's said and done, though... congratulations, Maria. :)

2005 is looking to be an amazingly competitive season! :D

PointBlank
Break? She did not deserve one. When she rededicates herself to the game, then we'll talk.. And for as long as she prefers to show her naked breasts on public to practicing .. some will enjoy seeing those breasts.. and others will be winning big in tennis..
Her outfits have got better and this week when she said she was gonna be 100% focused on tennis and block out Hollywood and even made the final..I think her dedication is there :rolleyes:

bandabou

As you wish...but still say it was pretty unlucky for Serena to get this injury...she was playing pretty well. You think this injury was due to lack of practice?

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:09 AM
That spell in the 3th set.....AMAZING!! Showed that when Serena is REALLY hitting NOBODY can hit with her.

MinnyGophers
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:11 AM
maybe Serena was still tired from her tough three setter against Momo like in Wimby, and that could have led to an injury build up.

ps: just wondering... are there going to be any troll posts that will claim that the Gladiator "faked an ijury" during the game? like it was said against Momo in Wimby? :rolleyes:

ys
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:11 AM
That spell in the 3th set.....AMAZING!! Showed that when Serena is REALLY hitting NOBODY can hit with her.
Showed nothing.. She faced a frozen opponent in those 4 games.. Where were she before and after?

Lemonskin.
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Awesome stuff Masha!!!

To think she was down 0-4 in the 3rd set. Amazing to win the next 6 games.

And an awesome effort from Serena too.

Yuri should keep his mouth closed though.

Why are all the threads "Serena loses to Sharapova" and not "Sharapova beats Serena"? Do people feel that Serena choked it? :(

Shoulderpova
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:13 AM
I just can't believe can;t believe .Masha ya tak tebya obozhayu :hug::hearts:

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Showed nothing.. She faced a frozen opponent in those 4 games.. Where were she before and after?

Ys, ys...I know you love your russians. Great year for them, but dim it.....how do you mean where Serena was?! You act like Serena was crushed today or barely in the match....

PointBlank
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:17 AM
I just can't believe can;t believe .Masha ya tak tebya obozhayu :hug::hearts:
Вы говорите русского?

alias
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:18 AM
I didn't see the match, so can someone tell me what was the crowd like? Was there a lot of fans there and what did they do after Yuri jumped on court?

PointBlank
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Why are all the threads "Serena loses to Sharapova" and not "Sharapova beats Serena"? Do people feel that Serena choked it? :(
I just put something that came to mind..sorry :p

ys
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Ys, ys...I know you love your russians. Great year for them, but dim it.....how do you mean where Serena was?! You act like Serena was crushed today or barely in the match....
She was not.. But if you haven't seen today how much is Sharapova better than Serena, you haven't seen the match.. Sharapova played very mediocre match comparing to how she played against Sveta or two last sets against Nastya.. She missed tons on that forehand, was experimenting with s&v and didn't move anywhere as well as in those matches.. Serena didn't miss a thing and played her best of the season.. Yet, Serena was outplayed in first two sets..

Sharapova's potential is really scary.. She has a combination of excellent mobility, Seles-like striking consistency and power and Serena-like serve.. And trust me, her serve will eventually be better then what it is right now just as much as the serve of 20yo Serena was infinitely better than her serve of 17yo.. Next year, apart from footspeed, Sharapova will be better than Serena in every single department. And by quite a bit. Because already now her basics - technique that is - are miles better.

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:24 AM
So Masha beat Serena (who beat Momo who beat Masha) and also Nastya who beat Lindsay who beat Serena (who as stated beat beat Momo who beat Masha) ..... Okay. Got it. :scared:

F-R-E-A-K
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Udachi Maria :kiss: :hearts: :drool: :lick: :bounce:

Rena :sad: Very Close ;)

Masha :worship: :D ;) :p :eek: :cool: :kiss: :hearts: :drool: :lick: :lol: :bounce: Congrats!! :angel:

Knizzle
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:26 AM
She was not.. But if you haven't seen today how much is Sharapova better than Serena, you haven't seen the match.. Sharapova played very mediocre match comparing to how she played against Sveta or two last sets against Nastya.. She missed tons on that forehand, was experimenting with s&v and didn't move anywhere as well as in those matches.. Serena didn't miss a thing and played her best of the season.. Yet, Serena was outplayed in first two sets..

Sharapova's potential is really scary.. She has a combination of excellent mobility, Seles-like striking consistency and power and Serena-like serve.. And trust me, her serve will eventually be better then what it is right now just as much as the serve of 20yo Serena was infinitely better than her serve of 17yo.. Next year, apart from footspeed, Sharapova will be better than Serena in every single department. And by quite a bit. Because already now her basics - technique that is - are miles better.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just laugh at this fool.

DeDe4925
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Awesome stuff Masha!!!

To think she was down 0-4 in the 3rd set. Amazing to win the next 6 games.

The pain got worse for Serena, she wasn't even getting serves in. What the hell did Maria do so amazing. Come on now.

Because Maria wasn't going to beat a healthy Serena. Now...I said it. You can all attack me now, but that's what I believe. How can you beat an injured opponent in so much pain in the end, when serving double fault after double fault, they are losing and beating themselves. Hell, Serena's injury and all the points as a result thereof, was a gift to Maria. :rolleyes:

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:31 AM

I think you´re holding Maria´s game to a much higher standard than it actually is imo....I admit, the girl is good, she is solid....but how can you say she outplayed Serena when it was Serena who was the one always ahead? Their stats were pretty much indentical.

We´ll see what the future holds......but I´m not as high on Sharapova as you. I guess in your eyes it´s gonna be a completely russian top 10 too, huh?

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:33 AM
One more thing Ys: Who´s the best russian in your eyes?! Seems like whomever is winning you become a fan of....but tell us really: which is the best one?

DeDe4925
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Yet, Serena was outplayed in first two sets..

Newsflash, Serena won the first set. :rolleyes:

Venus+Serena#1fan
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Maria is ungracious and she needs to show a little more respect to Serena after the match, not because she's Serena Williams, but because she's a f*cking person too, and one who is very injured, therefore its only polite to at least wish them a recovery.

Obviously Srena would have won had she not been injured. Maria Classlessova will fall to Rena eventually.

ys
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:40 AM
I think you´re holding Maria´s game to a much higher standard than it actually is imo....I admit, the girl is good, she is solid....but how can you say she outplayed Serena when it was Serena who was the one always ahead? Their stats were pretty much indentical.
Masha had about 50% chance to win the first set.. She used 0 of her 2 breakpoints. Serena used 1. In the second set Serena was blown off the court..

We´ll see what the future holds......but I´m not as high on Sharapova as you.

Not right now.. Not yet.. Her game is not yet built for all surfaces.. She will have certain problems finishing points in slow stuff and I think it won't change that quickly. Her net game is still very rudimentary.. I don't see her winning AO.. But she will be a threat in two out of other three Slams. I expect her to win one of them. If the next year she improves as much as she improved this year, she'll have a shot at Grand Slam in 2006.

I guess in your eyes it´s gonna be a completely russian top 10 too, huh?
No. But unlike most of other top players all Top 10 Russians improved this year. And so did Zvonareva. Put Bovina and Safina into the mix.. I expect Russians finish next year with more Top 10 players than this year. I realistically expect at least 5 next year.

ys
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:44 AM
One more thing Ys: Who´s the best russian in your eyes?! Seems like whomever is winning you become a fan of....but tell us really: which is the best one?
I am not a big fan of Sharapova, never pretended to be.

Who is the best one? On surface balance, right now I think it is Sveta. Sveta is no good on the least significant surface - indoors.. But she is the only Russian player who is already in position to be a threat in all four Slams. I don't see Myskina being a threat on two fast-surface Slams. Dementieva will never be a threat at W. Zvonareva will never be a threat at W either.

fammmmedspin
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:47 AM
So Masha beat Serena (who beat Momo who beat Masha) and also Nastya who beat Lindsay who beat Serena (who as stated beat beat Momo who beat Masha) ..... Okay. Got it. :scared:
Its worse than that. Both Serena and Maria were there because Nastya stopped playing them when she had built a good lead:confused: . Lindsay failed because she played badly for a set against Serena whom she beat.:confused: Nastya beat the world number 1 who always used to beat her before Moscow and almost beat Serena but was beaten by Maria whom she owned before.:confused: Serena got better as the tournament went on and got much of her missing form back but then injured herself and didn't win.:sad: Maria won and showed growing strength:bounce: but Serena showed how to beat her with just ball speed for 4 games in a row and Nastya showed how to beat her with speed and positional play for a whole set - which should send messages to the tour how to beat Maria:( .. Momo rose to the event, and beat the winner but failed at the key hurdle. :eek: Sveta had the longest break before turning up but looked the most tired.:confused: Vera and Elena played the longest points trying their hardest but won nothing.:confused:

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Masha had about 50% chance to win the first set.. She used 0 of her 2 breakpoints. Serena used 1. In the second set Serena was blown off the court..

Not right now.. Not yet.. Her game is not yet built for all surfaces.. She will have certain problems finishing points in slow stuff and I think it won't change that quickly. Her net game is still very rudimentary.. I don't see her winning AO.. But she will be a threat in two out of other three Slams. I expect her to win one of them. If the next year she improves as much as she improved this year, she'll have a shot at Grand Slam in 2006.

No. But unlike most of other top players all Top 10 Russians improved this year. And so did Zvonareva. Put Bovina and Safina into the mix.. I expect Russians finish next year with more Top 10 players than this year. I realistically expect at least 5 next year.

50 % chance? those 2 bp´s were all in the same service game....so at best it would have been a tied game.

Grand SLam in 2006....we´ll see.

But one thing I know: It´s easier to perform when you are the underdog....next year she´ll have the target on her....interesting to see how she handles it.

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:51 AM
If you´re so big on Sveta Ys.....how come you see Maria winning at least two majors next year and then the grand slam in 2006?! Where does that leave Sveta?!"

Dan23
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:53 AM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/LAS101111600_1024x768.jpg

ys
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:55 AM
If you´re so big on Sveta Ys
BTW, she is not my favourite Russian by far either..

.....how come you see Maria winning at least two majors next year
Did I really say that?

and then the grand slam in 2006?!

Did you interpret "having a shot" as "winning"?

Where does that leave Sveta?!"
Perhaps where Chrissy was left when Martina peaked. Being a contender and sometimes winning..

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:56 AM
So Maria IS the best Russian in your eyes then?

ys
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:59 AM
So Maria IS the best Russian in your eyes then?
Potentially? Yes. Right now? No. I expect her not be the best Russian player of next two Slams.

Sonja
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Congratulations Maria; I'd have liked to see both opponents healthy but it wasn't to be. Maria did what she needed to and came out with the win.

Great job Serena on the week. Some fantastic shot making through a lot of tough three set matches, graciousness in defeat, a smile and joke for the crowd, guts and determination; she does have it all.

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Potentially? Yes. Right now? No. I expect her not be the best Russian player of next two Slams.

I see.....so right now it is Sveta but Maria has more potential.

ys
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:02 AM
I see.....so right now it is Sveta but Maria has more potential.
Correct.

Daniel
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:03 AM
well done Maria :D