PDA

View Full Version : Justine was fined by WTA for not playing in LA

Lady
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:02 AM
The fine was 125 000 dollars. Not bad, ha! If you think that Justine actually was sick all year, but they still fined her! ;)

Carlos said in on Belgian news!

Venus+Serena#1fan
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:03 AM
thats pathetic, the wta needs to chill.

Je_ne_sais_quoi
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:05 AM
wow. though her sickness was questionable (she cld still play for olympics)
but 125000 is too much a fine!

kiwifan
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:10 AM
I thought the rule was that if you qualified and physically couldn't play, you still had to show up for promotional stuff.

So the fine is reasonable; if she's healthy enough to stand around and lie about whether or not her watch was provided by a sponsor. :devil:

beauty_is_pink
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:14 AM
thats not fair.
she's injured. there isnt anything she can do about that :rolleyes:

the cat
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:14 AM
This is hard to believe. It doesn't make any sense. Everyone knows Justine Henin needs time to rest and recover from her illness. And going to Athens probably set her back physically even though she won the singles gold medal.

Martian KC
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:24 AM
WTF $125,000?!?! That's a serious amount!

venusfan
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:32 AM
125K is nothing to justine so big freaking deal.

DEETHELICK
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Crazy that she was fined full stop. Yeah she took the risk of playing. It didn't work out, she felt ill and took the rest of the season off.

125K is a hefty amount, Justine or no Justine. And here I was wanting Elena D to skip this tournament in the future.

Ooops.

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Seems a bit too harsh imo..it is KNOWN that the girl has a virus....

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:37 AM
WTA probably would have fined someone in a coma as well :o

:rolleyes: @ the WTA

fammmmedspin
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:38 AM
The rule looked odd. You have to turn up even if injured or that was the fine. But obviously it would depend on how injured you were? You couldn't have players on life-support turning up or ones with infectious diseases so you would think they would have a get out medical clause - but it seems not. Bizarre.

Martian Willow
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:40 AM
US$125,000? That's about £75 at the moment, isn't it?

vettipooh
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Seems a bit too harsh imo..it is KNOWN that the girl has a virus....You can't figure the wta.Guess they said if she can do t.v. and party with the king and queen, then she could have shown up in L.A.They fine everyone if they think it is justified.Serena paid her share, and so did a host of others. Thank God that amount is just a drop in the bucket for Justine.

Fingon
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:48 AM
rules or not rules, the wta forgets it depends on the players, without the players they are nothing, who is Larry Scott?

The WTA doesn't hesitate to break its own rules when it suits them.

Problem is, they are pissing off too many players, they pissed Serena off, they pissed Capriati off, they pissed Justine off.

the WTA tour has been goind downhill for a while, and the fall is even faster since the idiot of Larry Scott is in charge (I would put him in charge of a hotdog stand). It's a matter of time before the players get really sick of it and kick the entire wta structure, and I won't drop a tear.

The WTA as it is now has to be replaced, none of the current directives should stay and the rules should be carefully re-examined. Larry Scott has to go, the people that make the schedule have to go, the people that make the rankings have to go, they can't do anything right.

Even for their marquee tournament, the wtachamps site is simply pathetic, they can't even get that right, what can you expect?

btw? can a player refuse to be in the gold exemption list?

SelesFan70
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:50 AM
:eek: Geez! Is Billie Jean King running the show here?!?! (Fed Cup: Remember her not letting Lindsay show up a day late so Lindsay could be with her mom during her mom's SURGERY???? And let's not forget when she booted Capriati for hitting with a coach...)

Should they fine Maria Sharapova for treating her match against Mauresmo as a practice match where she was "trying out new things", according to La Pamela Shriver, and not really caring if she won it or not since her place in the semifinals was secure? :confused:

JennyS
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Man, the folks running the WTA remind me of my high school drama teacher.

The WTA probably spent more money fining Justine than they did promoting the tournament!

tennischick
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:33 AM
This is hard to believe. It doesn't make any sense. Everyone knows Justine Henin needs time to rest and recover from her illness. And going to Athens probably set her back physically even though she won the singles gold medal.her going to Athens and winning is part of what got her in trouble IMO.

maybe she should call up Lleyton's lawyer ;)

JennyS
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:47 AM
I think the WTA should run the tour like a school. When a player withdraws, they have to get a parent or legal guardian, or a doctor to sign a note and if the player doesn't do it, they get sent to detention.

Andy.
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:49 AM
That is a huge fine to have to pay. But seriously is her illness for real she has been out for a long time how can she still be ill it doesnt take that long for a very healthy to recover. Whats going on Justine?. But still a fine of that magnitude is a bit rough.

Princess Sarah.
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:52 AM
That's stupid

SzavayFi
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:55 AM
hmm, thats is RETARTED....she has millions, it wouldnt hurt her too much, someone else on the other hand, take me perhaps, i would be in SERIOUS debt.

fammmmedspin
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:58 AM
I think the WTA should run the tour like a school. When a player withdraws, they have to get a parent or legal guardian, or a doctor to sign a note and if the player doesn't do it, they get sent to detention.
Calling the lines as the others play? Answering the phone for us at tournaments where the WTA hasn't bothered to insist on a realtime scoreboard ?

bovina_forever
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:00 AM
If she was sick they should not have fined her and if she was not well that is a lot of money to be fined

JLDementieva
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:43 AM
wow, that fine is a bit harsh!

lizchris
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:48 AM
I am not being funny with this, but what would they have fined her if she died?

Knizzle
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:57 AM
If you're supposed to show up and you don't you just have to eat your fines. The sisters had to show up last year.

bigshow21
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:20 AM
That's ridiculous!!! She has been sick all year. Even if she is supposed to show up for promotional stuff...that sure as hell isn't helping get better. The WTA just gets on my nerves sometimes (well most of the time).

PatM04
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Thats a lot of money...WTA is stupid!

Fingon
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:37 AM
her going to Athens and winning is part of what got her in trouble IMO.

maybe she should call up Lleyton's lawyer ;)
maybe that's not a bad idea, I wonder if this fines are legal (and I don't mean by wta's rules). I would be so nice if a player could take a big bit out of the wta cake, and maybe as an extra get that moron of Larry Scott fired.

MinnyGophers
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:39 AM
holy crap!
THAT much? I know that that is pocket change for Juju but still!
Me thinks the WTA is trying to extort money out of their players heh.
She has a freaking virus, it's not like she did it on purpose. Wonder how many millions they would have made her pay if she did it on purpose to boycott LA :rolleyes:

vogus
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:12 AM
actually i think the WTA didnt take 125000 USD out of Justine's pocket. Since Justine is high on the Gold Exempt list she probly is due to get a couple hundred thousand from the GE Bonus Pool at the end of the year, and the WTA decided to with-hold that money from her on the grounds that, in their view, she didnt meet her obligations for receiving it.

Chunchun
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:17 AM
:eek: :devil: Too bad Justine!

Jelena Moon
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:02 AM
WTA is so fucking retarded. I don't care who you are. $125,000 is a lot of money. I mean $125,000 is Meilin Tu and Lindsay Lee Waters' combined career earnings and WTA is taking that away from JHH? So sad.

clonesheep
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Last year WTA treated Justine well because it was a miserable year and they needed Justine and her Belgium sister to provide some excitment. Now that they have Princess Maria, Justine is downgraded to disposable second tier. Life is not fair.

Allez-H
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Well the WTA has to earn money on some way so they go on and fine they're players like crazy for the stupidest things.Since Justine is planning the reduce her schedule again next year,I'm sure Larry Scott will fine her over and over again.Carlos already some very hostile words about the WTA this year so you never what next year will give...

kiekeboe
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:56 PM
I found very degusting to fine a player, any player if they are ingured and said it weeks before the start of a tournament.

Hell yeah! why not!

The europian tournaments directors asked resently ATP to fine players. WHY??
Because they didn't have Federer (withdraw due to a injury).
Are they crazy, I guess waybe :shrug:

SJW
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:57 PM
US$125,000? That's about £75 at the moment, isn't it?

ha. i was about to say.

Fingon
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Well the WTA has to earn money on some way so they go on and fine they're players like crazy for the stupidest things.Since Justine is planning the reduce her schedule again next year,I'm sure Larry Scott will fine her over and over again.Carlos already some very hostile words about the WTA this year so you never what next year will give...
as I said, to the players, get rid of the wta, they don't need it and certainly, they don't need an underachiever aspirant to CEO to tell them what to do.

In a real company Larry Scott would have trouble finding a job to clean the washrooms.

Fantastic
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:21 PM
To all those people saying that $125,000 is nothing to Justine, have a think about what you are saying. 125K is quite a sizeable amount for something as silly as missing a tournament. She may have a few million in her bank account but that doesn't mean she deserves to be fined or that it doesn't matter. The principle matters. Did the championships really suffer that much loss of income because she didn't attend? If you are caught speeding, you are fined anywhere between $50 to $500. The fine is important because it reminds people that speeding on the roads can kill people, but it's only $500 compared to the $125,000 being asked here. Would Justine missing a tournament BECAUSE OF INJURY really be a threat to anyone else's life? 125K is like the amount set for bail. You pay bail to get out of prison as you're awaiting trial. You are held in prison because you may have committed a crime. What crime has been committed by Justine? Where does the fine money go? It had better be to a good cause.

cynicole
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Where does the fine money go? It had better be to a good cause.
Probably to the tournament directors who didn't get all the Gold/Silver Exempts that they were promised.

The WTA decided to get tougher on fines last year at the USO. There were a bunch of articles stating it at the time (though as an afterthought in most, if not all, of those).

Since when does the WTA really care about their players?..though I'm sure they will rain buckets if Sharapova goes down unless there's another little starlet who pops up.

Given what happened to Serena's ab, I'm beginning to wish she ponied up 125K and skipped the event too.

Then again, is it really so hard to just show up and do a couple of promos?...especially if you've been skydiving and doing meet and greets at the palace?

pigam
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Then again, is it really so hard to just show up and do a couple of promos?...especially if you've been skydiving and doing meet and greets at the palace?
Those things she likes, those things where done in Belgium :wavey:

cynicole
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Those things she likes, those things where done in Belgium :wavey:
She also went on vacation in Canada, right? If she can fly all the way there, she can pop in and do an appearance in LA, right?

Follow-up question: what do you do for vacation in Canada aside from hunt and fish, ride the railway and annoy Mounties? :shrug:

pigam
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:40 PM
She also went on vacation in Canada, right? If she can fly all the way there, she can pop in and do an appearance in LA, right?

Follow-up question: what do you do for vacation in Canada aside from hunt and fish, ride the railway and annoy Mounties? :shrug:
a lot of things are happening in her private life.
She's in (close) contact with her dad and other family in Canada again.
Move to J-time, Nicky ;) :p

Besides, you reallythink she should give the WTA the pleasure to do an appearence after how they threated her (and other players).
Carlos mentioned they squeeze the players like lemons. I don't think she will be doing them much favours in the future, and she's right, IMO!