PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova may ALREADY be ITF World Champion

Volcana
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Looking at it, I think ITF world champion is going to come down to Henin-Hardenne vs Sharapova.

Henin-Hardenne didn't play much this year. But she won OZ and the Olympics, a Tier I, and five tournaments overall. (The Olympics was a strong field this year.)

Sharapova won Wimbledon and nothing else significant. But if she wins the YEC, she has second-best result as significant as Henin-Hardenne's second-best result, plus 'What-have-you-done-for-me-lately'.

Now, if you discount Henin-Hardenne becasue she didn't play enough, Sharapova may ALREADY be ITF world champion.

None of the other GS finalist even made the finals of any of the 'more-prestigious-than-a-Tier-I eventss.

You could choose to stack it up thusly, even if Serena wins the YEC. (Remember the ITF is a different organization than the WTA. They run the slams, so Lindsay's #1 status may or may not mean anything to them.)

Henin-Hardenne - 1 GS, Olympics
Sharapova - 1 GS, YEC finalist
Myskina - 1 GS
Kuznetsova - 1 GS
Williams, YEC, GS finalist
Davenport - Ranked #1

Take Henin-Hardenne out of the equation and ....

A lot depends on how much weight the ITF gives the YEC, which is something I don't know. I'm sure they don't count it as a GS, but probably they give it more weight than a Tier I (as the WTA does). Also, how much weight does the ITF give the Olympics? But if the YEC was a slam, Sharapova would ALREADY hav emade more slam finals than any of the other GS winners.

NOTES:

Henin-Hardenne - won five tournaments, 1 GS, one T1, 1 GS final appearances, Olympic Gold
Davenport - Won Seven tournaments, two Tiers I's, Year-End #1, No GS final appearances
Myskina - Won Three tournaments, 1 GS, 1 T1 , 1 GS final appearances
Kuznetsova - Won three tournaments, 1 GS, no T1, 1 GS final appearances
Willaims, S (If she wins YEC) - Won three tournaments, no GS, one T1, YEC
Sharapova (If she win YEC) - Won five tournaments, 1 GS, no T1, 1 GS final appearances. YEC
Sharapova (If she loses YEC) - Won four tournaments, 1 GS, no T1, 1 GS final appearance, YEC Finalist

Buitenzorg
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Justine is still The Champion :)

Gowza
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:42 PM
dementieva reached 2 slam finals, both significant events

Volcana
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:46 PM
dementieva reached 2 slam finals, both significant eventsI agree as to the significance. But since she didn't win a GS, or the Olympics, or the YEC, or end the year #1, there's no chance of her being ITF champion.

Gowza
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:25 PM
And?
2 slam finals are nothing to sneeze at, something that no other player achieved this year.

the cat
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Maria Sharapova amazingly enough had the best record in the 4 ITF grand slams this year while playing under the WTA AER! :D And I think the ITF voters for player of the year will realize that's a tremedous feat for a 17 year old girl. But to be fair I will say that if Justine Henin was healthy all year she would be the leading candidate for ITF and WTA Tour POY. And Anastasia Myskina is also is the running for POY honors.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:16 AM
If it's close, Sharapova will win because she's Sharapova. :yawn:

harloo
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:53 AM
If it's close, Sharapova will win because she's Sharapova. :yawn:
Yep.;)

selking
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:53 AM
wow

Volcana
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Maria Sharapova amazingly enough had the best record in the 4 ITF grand slams this year while playing under the WTA AER!She played 19 tournaments while 'under' the AER.

moby
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:43 AM
2 slam finals are nothing to sneeze at, something that no other player achieved this year.
it's great, but i look at her incredible 1st round losses at the other 2 grand slams, and :confused:
she's still too inconsistent for this

Gowza
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:04 AM
No doubt about it.

But this thread is about the ITF World Champion of the year.she also reached the final in miami, she didnt win a slam and wasnt ranked number but she has had some great performances the top tournaments more than a lot of other top players in terms of the tournaments considered the most important so i think she deserves a mention, yes she has had some bad first round losses as well but she's still performed well.

Gowza
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:08 AM
if serena can get a mention then surely dementieva can.

Jeleno Benesovo
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:08 AM
no doubt about it: This was Sharapova's year :yeah:

Crazy Canuck
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:10 AM
no doubt about it: This was Sharapova's year :yeah:
I don't mean to snark, but she had three very good weeks... and while she may win ITF champ and I won't debate that, she surely will be the weakest *ever*, no? Yes, the same could have been said for Myskina or whoever else.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:12 AM
This wasn't Sharapova's year.

It was alot of player's years, about 4 or 5.
;)

Lemonskin.
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:18 AM
What about now? She's won YEC!

mn73
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:41 AM
I think the sensible thing to do would be to award it jointly to Justine Henin-Hardenne and Maria Sharapova.

But I think that the fact that Justine missed half of the year will count against her, despite what she achieved when she played. I think she is a wonderful player and achieved a lot this year before injury (and at the Olympics), but it would seem strange to me her winning player of the year, since her continued absence has been one of the stories of the year.

But awarding it to Sharapova seems a bit odd compared to other years and I don't think it has ever gone to a #4 in the world.

When Davenport previously finished as #1 without a Slam the award went to the #2 player Jennifer Capriati who had won two Slams.

First player down the list with a Slam this year is Anastasia Myskina. So in theory she should get it, though it is hard to punish Davenport and Mauresmo for not winning a Slam when they, particularly Davenport, have been so consistent in other events.