PDA

View Full Version : Prediction #2- Serena Williams def. Maria Sharapova 6-4,7-5

alfajeffster
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:50 PM
I'm gone for the day, but will be up for the match tonight, so thought I'd get this last little prediction in there.

bandabou
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Seeing how you ALMOST nailed it with the unbeaten thing......hopefully Serena will make us proud!

Rollo
Nov 15th, 2004, 09:48 PM
If both are playing well (a big if-either one can start spraying balls LOL) It comes down to Serena's serve IMO.

Here's to a good 3 set match-may the best gal win!

alfajeffster
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Well, I was on track until Serena over-extended herself at the beginning of the second set, and hit a 129mph first service attempt that missed, but you could see it all going downhill from there, unfortunately. C'est la Vie!

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Cīest la vie.....but Iīm still happy. Serena looked good till the injury and that gives hope for the future.

alfajeffster
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Cīest la vie.....but Iīm still happy. Serena looked good till the injury and that gives hope for the future.
I almost turned the TV off when I saw her come back and have to start pushing those serves, but then, the child on the other side of the net just started pouting, and suddenly, Serena was up 4-0 in the third, and I thought- she can't actually win a big match like that- CAN SHE?!? Oh, well, I guess I have to be satisfied that Serena didn't default, and did stay out there and fight to the bitter end. All in all- good to see flashes of the old player coming through this week, and hopefully with some rest, by the time the Australian season kicks into full gear, she'll be back.

FrauleinSteffi
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Oh well straight sets for Serena it was not..............

Andre_Co_Uk
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Oh well straight sets for Serena it was not..............

He needs to give his crystal ball a good dusting.

alfajeffster
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:42 PM
He needs to give his crystal ball a good dusting.
I was right on target with my vision through the first set, and then the belly of the whale went TWANG!, and suddenly, there appeared the littlest fissure inside the bubble muscle in the middle of the crystal ball, and it just kept getting bigger and bigger, and before I knew it, I wasn't in Kansas (or LA for that matter) any more, and the wicked witch of the North flew in and snatched the vision away.

Dust had nothing to do with it...

Andre_Co_Uk
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:44 PM
I was right on target with my vision through the first set, and then the belly of the whale went TWANG!, and suddenly, there appeared the littlest fissure inside the bubble muscle in the middle of the crystal ball, and it just kept getting bigger and bigger, and before I knew it, I wasn't in Kansas (or LA for that matter) any more, and the wicked witch of the North flew in and snatched the vision away.

Dust had nothing to do with it...
So Mystic Meg. Does this mean I can go down to my bookmaker, and collect my winnings?
See I bet this horse, and it fell at the last hurdle, but it was like 50 yards clear, and would have won.

bandabou
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:11 PM
what you care? Obviously you didnīt bet on Serena, sooooo.....

Andre_Co_Uk
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:19 PM
what you care? Obviously you didnīt bet on Serena, sooooo.....

How old are you?

Frank
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Cīest la vie.....but Iīm still happy. Serena looked good till the injury and that gives hope for the future. Correct. She showed this tournament she's far from being done for.

alfajeffster
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:24 PM
So Mystic Meg. Does this mean I can go down to my bookmaker, and collect my winnings?
See I bet this horse, and it fell at the last hurdle, but it was like 50 yards clear, and would have won.
You would have collected had you played win, place, or show at the beginning of the tournament, when pundits were all saying there was no way Serena was going to be in the final, let alone THAT close to winning it, but for a stomach muscle that refused to cooperate.

alfajeffster
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:28 PM
You know, that third set reminded me a little bit of the 1970 Wimbledon Final between Billie Jean King and Margaret Court. Billie Jean was hobbling around on bad knees, and toward the beginning of the second set, she realized she just couldn't move any more, so she started hitting dropshot after dropshot, and they began working for her, and the novocaine in Court's ankle started wearing off, and she nearly got away with winning that second set, but Margaret showed her mettle and dug in through the pain and just started charging harder, and finally she broke through and won the title. I had the same feeling when Serena was throwing the kitchen sink at Maria for the first 4 games of that third set.

bandabou
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:28 PM
I almost turned the TV off when I saw her come back and have to start pushing those serves, but then, the child on the other side of the net just started pouting, and suddenly, Serena was up 4-0 in the third, and I thought- she can't actually win a big match like that- CAN SHE?!? Oh, well, I guess I have to be satisfied that Serena didn't default, and did stay out there and fight to the bitter end. All in all- good to see flashes of the old player coming through this week, and hopefully with some rest, by the time the Australian season kicks into full gear, she'll be back.

I was thinking: TWO more, two more...but then she was just grimacing just to throw the ball up and couldnīt serve anymore and I was..o.k., you tried your best.

If she recovers from the injuries well and works-out full during the off-season, I think we can expect good things next season.

bandabou
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Correct. She showed this tournament she's far from being done for.

Thx...:yeah:

bandabou
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:32 PM
You know, that third set reminded me a little bit of the 1970 Wimbledon Final between Billie Jean King and Margaret Court. Billie Jean was hobbling around on bad knees, and toward the beginning of the second set, she realized she just couldn't move any more, so she started hitting dropshot after dropshot, and they began working for her, and the novocaine in Court's ankle started wearing off, and she nearly got away with winning that second set, but Margaret showed her mettle and dug in through the pain and just started charging harder, and finally she broke through and won the title. I had the same feeling when Serena was throwing the kitchen sink at Maria for the first 4 games of that third set.

I canīt think of anybody who didnīt see that performance by Serena in that 3rd set and didnīt come away having at least plenty of respect for her.

NOBODY gave Serena any chance to even reach the SF....and here she was: battling a pulled stomach muscle and coming two games from winning the YEC.

People might not love her game, but the girl sure has a championīs heart.

Andre_Co_Uk
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:50 PM
You would have collected had you played win, place, or show at the beginning of the tournament, when pundits were all saying there was no way Serena was going to be in the final, let alone THAT close to winning it, but for a stomach muscle that refused to cooperate.

My bookmaker only pays first-past-the-post.

Pundits, I never knew you took any notice of what pundits said. There's me presuming you were a free thinker.

!<blocparty>!
Nov 17th, 2004, 10:00 PM
:tape: