PDA

View Full Version : Please do not post or attach Getty images

griffin
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Our friends at Getty Images are very protective of their copyrighted property and have insisted that we not allow people to post OR ATTACH Getty Images, or images containing the Getty watermark.

All Getty images posted or attached on this board will be deleted, and repeated offenses may result in your suspension.

Sorry, it's not our rule, but we do have to enforce it.

the cat
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Okay.

spindoctor
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Ooh my friend is going to be so happy about this. She's been so pissed off when ppl post copyrighted photos of hers and many other photographers here and other boards without even mentioning the source and/or photographers name.

Yasmine
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Our friends at Getty Images are very protective of their copyrighted property and have insisted that we not allow people to post OR ATTACH Getty Images, or images containing the Getty watermark.

All Getty images posted or attached on this board will be deleted, and repeated offenses may result in your suspension.

Sorry, it's not our rule, but we do have to enforce it.
No problem ;) , but does that mean this rule is valid for all the threads and forums here? I bet it is, just wanted to check :p

spindoctor
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:22 PM
No problem ;) , but does that mean this rule is valid for all the threads and forums here? I bet it is, just wanted to check :p

This is what I wrote in another thread.
It would have been nice and correct to mention the names of photographers/sources for pictures posted here and elsewhere on this board even if they're not Getty Images' pics. It's matter of common courtesy and respect for the photographers, their agencies and publishers who actually pay to have a copyright for them.

Basically if you post pics here or anywhere else on this board, please mention the source and/or photographer. The same thing goes for articles.

Yasmine
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:34 PM
It would have been nice and correct to mention the names of photographers/sources for pictures posted here and elsewhere on this board even if they're not Getty Images' pics. It's matter of common courtesy and respect for the photographers, their agencies and publishers who actually pay to have a copyright for them.

Basically if you post pics here or anywhere else on this board, please mention the source and/or photographer. The same thing goes for articles.
I don't post in GM too much but in the forum I go that's what we tend to do :angel: . Thanks for the reminder tho ;)

griffin
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:35 PM

yasmine - yes, this rule applied to ALL forums on WTAworld.com

I agree with spindoctor. I can't say it's something as an admin I want to enforce because we have enough to deal with (Getty's made an issue of it, or this thread wouldn't be here), but I think people should credit the source of images/quotes/articles as a matter of courtesy if nothing else.

lindsayno1
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:53 PM
so can we use them if we quote them?! its good publicity for them dammit!

spindoctor
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:30 PM
so can we use them if we quote them?! its good publicity for them dammit!

It's good publicity if ppl remember to credit photographer/journalists etc.
Then I'd say it's relatively ok to post pictures/articles etc as long as you credit them and tell your source. The best way would be that you would link to these websites instead of posting here. Anyone who's interested in saving articles and picture to their personal use could simply copy them directly from these websites.

turt
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:32 PM

Sorry, it's not our rule, but we do have to enforce it.I don't get it... Why would it be forbidden to post pics with the Getty watermark? The other ones I would understand, but these are not used for commercial purpose so I don't really see what's wrong... :confused:

spindoctor
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:38 PM
I don't get it... Why would it be forbidden to post pics with the Getty watermark? The other ones I would understand, but these are not used for commercial purpose so I don't really see what's wrong... :confused:

Regardless of watermark or not it's against copyright laws to publish these pictures without prior consent from photographers or their agencies who represent their work.

Lemonskin.
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Questions:

Can we post them if we credit the photographer and Getty Images?

Also, what's to stop people saving the pictures to their own websites/photobucket etc and posting the same pictures from a different link?

griffin
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Just to clarify:

You SHOULD credit your source when posting quotes, images, etc. in general.

HOWEVER, you CANNOT post Getty images AT ALL whether or not you credit them - and that's not up for discussion.