PDA

View Full Version : Did Mauresmo Choke?

tennisIlove09
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:12 AM
again against Serena? second time this year she was up a set and a break against Serena.

AjdeNate!
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Serena really stepped up, but Momax did help out with UE after UE and a complete inability to win 1 of her 5684974 break chances.

katrientje
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:57 AM
No I saw the match. Just when everyone thought Serena would lose, she lifted her game to an amazing level. Amélie played very well, but Serena was just a little better

Navratilove
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:59 AM
I have a feelin that Mauremo will never ever beat Serena again.
I don't know if she choked but I'm sure she thought about it.
I'm happy she didn't get to the no.1 and she wouldn't have deserved it anyways.
Of course I'm not too happy about this result cuz Serena is totally not my favorite and I wished both would lose. But she will be out shined by Maria Sharapova.

All4Williams
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Serena won 38 / 54 at the the net. She took the net away from Maurosemo. Serena served and Volleyed like a regular. Serena simply outplayed Mauresmo. I remember Mauresmo laughing at Serena at Wimby when Serena hit a Volley long. Yesterday Serena was magnificent at the net. She has cracked Mauresmo's game. Mauresmo will have to come up with another game to beat Serena or rely on Serena's bad days!

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:20 PM
I think it's a bit of choking and a lot of Serena playing better. I remember ONE point where Mauresmo really choked. On one break point in the marathon game, she hit an easy forehand (maybe backhand) wide. This would've changed the match and she knows it. When she saw the opportunity to finish the point and the game right there, she completely missed her shot... On other opportunities, Serena may have lifted her game, but Mauresmo choked on many easy points... So, a bit of both.

You may be right about the fact that she'll never beat Williams again, but then again, what do we know about the future, right ? One thing's for sure, Amélie can't start thinking this. If she still has pride, desire to win, she won't have trouble finding the motivation. She may be crushed for a few days, but after that, it's back to work.

MinnyGophers
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:24 PM
i don't think that Mauresmo choked, just that Serena played better and improved her game to match Momo's at the net. Don't take credit off Serena! She won the game beautifully, and I'm sure that these two will give us magnificent display of tennis again.

mboyle
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Yes and no. There were some breakpoints where Momo just completely went away (remember the slice thingie when Pam said, "It is as if she was thinking of coming in, then changed her mind at the last moment." ) But Serena was so determined that she would have won regardless.

Infiniti2001
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:55 PM
No, of course she played some suspect points-- but Serena became possessed :devil: from about 4-4 in the 2nd set. :lol: I had a feeling she would do her darndest to win this match :p

Sharapower
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Mauresmo choked, definitely.

victory1
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:11 PM
A lot of people are saying Mauresmo choked, but Serena was also nervous, that marathon game Mauresmo only had 4 breakpoint chances while Serena had 12 game chances before converting. Yes Mauresmo had 14 chances to break in the 3rd, but they came in 3 games (1 game was when she started at 0-40 on Serena serve, she had 7 chances in that game). Serena also had a 0-40 lead in the 3rd set on Mauresmo serve, Mauresmo also managed to hold.

JCF
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:11 PM
As usual, why are we even surprised. This is why I'm so relieved she is not no1!

Congrats Lindsay :hearts: :worship:

MinnyGophers
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:41 PM

before being a smartass, check out the word "choke" in a dictionnary ( and no i am not talking about your "Meaning of Words Twisted Around Dictionnary by Yu Gutabekiddinme")
Nastya vs Justine in Olympics was a choke.
Here, the Serena won because she played better. OR is it to you that if someone loses a game they automatically choke?
You going around hating on her makes you only look like an idiot, nothing else.
I actually respect those who dislike her but don't bash, which does not include you.
oh and by the way, if you can't find a dictionnary, there was a nice interesting article in tennis magazine that talked about the misconceptions of the word "choke". I thought I saw your picture there.

DEETHELICK
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:47 PM
On BP, Serena hit a lot of great shots, however some of those great shots were a result of Momo putting in a shot that was attackable or the wrong shot, period.

I'd say Amelie's choking was pretty key. She had so many 2nd serves on BP in THAT game. Most players would have crushed the ball, Amelie just did the wrong thing a few times.

Serena definitely raised her level, she was playing as well as she could IMO to fend Amelie off.

Stamp Paid
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:03 PM
On BP, Serena hit a lot of great shots, however some of those great shots were a result of Momo putting in a shot that was attackable or the wrong shot, period.

I'd say Amelie's choking was pretty key. She had so many 2nd serves on BP in THAT game. Most players would have crushed the ball, Amelie just did the wrong thing a few times.

Serena definitely raised her level, she was playing as well as she could IMO to fend Amelie off. Oh please, you act as Serena was trying to serve to stay in the match on that long game. Serena had already broken Momo, and Momo was desperately tryig to break Serena back and get level at 4-all in the third. She tried her damndest, but even with nothing but second serves, Serena placed them well and fought her off.

It was no choke. Serena vs. Clijsters, 2003 AO SF or Myskina v. Henin-Hardenne at the Olympics this year, those are chokes. It was a hard fought battle that Serena gutted out, plain and simple. Give the woman her credit, please! :rolleyes:

Up a set and a break against Serena Williams is NOTHING! :hearts:

GoDominique
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Yes.

alfajeffster
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Serena really stepped up, but Momax did help out with UE after UE and a complete inability to win 1 of her 5684974 break chances.
Most of those break chances came in the third set, when Serena was serving way too many second serves- what was it, 12 deuces in that game? All Serena had to do to keep that game going is kick the second serve into the body (slightly backhand side) on the ad court, and the game went back to deuce. I don't think that's choking- just smart serving even when you're not getting the first serve in. Plus, we finally saw shades of that old backhand down the line from Serena- not that loopy thing we saw for the past few months- the screamer that leaves them standing there watching- you know, like the one at the U.S. Open against Capriati that got called out- when it was struck very hard and deep, and landed just a ball width inside the sideline, with Capriati (who covers court better than Sharapova I might add) nowhere near the ball?

Mase
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Yes.
:haha: Thats all I was gonna say too.

jamba2
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:17 PM
no she played really well yesterday , but if serena going to play good nobody can beat her

Jakeev
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Amelie lost a key service game when she was up in the second set. (I mean it was an awful service game) and than in the third set, she was the old Amelie again and played wayyyyyyyy to passively on several break points on Serena's serve.

Did she choke? I don't know I find that word overrated but she definitely let Serena off the hook.

TimBo
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Serena will wipe the earth up with Maria tonight

Diesel
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Nope, Serena beat Amelie. Simple as that.

franny
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:31 PM
How can you choke when you are losing? At that crucial game that EVERYONE seems to be talking about, Serena was leading. She gave Mauresmo those break points by hitting unforced errors. You can't choke a match away if you weren't leading. Now if you were refering back to when Momo was leading in the second set, then no she didn't choke. Nothing about her game changed. She had been hitting double faults the entire match, so that was no surprise. She didn't really start making many errors, Serena just started hitting tons of winners. I don't consider this a choke job because Momo didn't play any differently when she was up or when she was down. One or two bad points on break chances does not mean you choke. Of those 14 break chances, I would say that Serena won with a winner or a service winner 11 of them. The other three Mauresmo just could not win, which considering the ratio of points, it's not that big of a surprise that Momo didn't win those points. Sometimes things go your way and sometimes they do. Momo didn't choke.

fammmmedspin
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Yes. Subtler than Novotna but yes. Look at all the BP and the DF and missed first serves on key points. Then find only 2-3 shots that she was making before they were crucial and missed. Give her those points and watch the match score change. Its partly Serena threatening by playing well but several of them are " there Momo goes again" moments. The good news is she was tougher most of the time and better than she used to be - the bad news is that DF is waiting to jump out just as the big one gets in reach still. the good news for momo fans is that she is now good enough to fight off the people ranked lower than her as long as they are not called 2Serena on a good day".

DEETHELICK
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:52 AM
I did give Serena her credit :rolleyes:

She played so well to fend Amelie off, however there were way too many times when Amelie should have crunched those 2nd serves. If it was Lindsay or Elena D, they would have eaten those shots up.

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Not a choke.....as franny said Momo was trailing when she got all those bp´s but barely got any play on them, because Serena saved them all with brilliant serving....and we all know how well Serena´s serve is. If she places it well, NOBODY can do anything with it.

So to me this isn´t choking....If we´re talking choking than Wimbledon was more of a choke than this.

DEETHELICK
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:10 AM
I agree some 2nd serves were too good. But some popped up for Amelie to slice, dice and topspin away. Which she didn't or either hit a poor shot that allowed Serena the offensive.

Credit to Serena for not missing or hitting an error, she hot beautiful winners. However, going back to the beginning of the point, why didn't Momo employ better shot selection or execute as well as she can.... lack of mental strength on those points to really test Serena fully. 12 BPs, Serena delivered well on say 50% of those. Amelie didn't make the other 50% count enough.

Great match though.

SelesFan70
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Choked like eating peanut butter on saltine crackers with nothing to drink. :o

swiss
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:32 AM
she did'nt choke and Serena won this with incredible shots and serve :worship:
a champion who is n°2 in the world won 63 matchs (losed 11) in a season, don't choke (remember the closed matchs she won this year)
I could say Amélie has no luck to lose vs the best Serena's match of the season :rolleyes:

Sharapower
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:36 AM
before being a smartass, check out the word "choke" in a dictionnary ( and no i am not talking about your "Meaning of Words Twisted Around Dictionnary by Yu Gutabekiddinme")
Nastya vs Justine in Olympics was a choke.
Here, the Serena won because she played better. OR is it to you that if someone loses a game they automatically choke?
You going around hating on her makes you only look like an idiot, nothing else.
I actually respect those who dislike her but don't bash, which does not include you.
oh and by the way, if you can't find a dictionnary, there was a nice interesting article in tennis magazine that talked about the misconceptions of the word "choke". I thought I saw your picture there.
First, Amelie would never have lost the third set. Serena was pooping her serves and Amelie made UE's returning 75 MPH services on break points at 4/3 and again when Serena was leading 30-15 serving for the set.

And since the beginning of the second set, it was quite obvious that Amelie's legs began to weight hundred tons, while she was running amazingly in the first set, she was just getting tense. Sure Serena raised her game but that doesn't explain everything.

I admit that real "choking" is when you have to close a win i.e. serving for the match 1 or several breaks ahead you just lose your nerves and can't do it but Amelie's situation in that semi final is totally similar. Serena's tiredness and inability to serve properly was worth 3 breaks IMHO.

And I don't see in what extent saying that a player choked is bashing. If I said that Amelie was too weak tennis-wise to beat Serena (which is like the contrary of choking), then I would be bashing.

What I say is quite the contrary, Amelie was the better player on court until the time she started thinking. Too bad for her.

And last thing, I do hate nobody on this earth. I don't like Amelie, I don't hate her too. I admire the way she keeps on fighting despite all the injury problems that happened to her. As a human person, I wish her to overcome her psychological blockage when it comes to winning some major thing. As a tennis fan, I really don't care.