PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova Given A Coaching Warning During Today's Match

lizchris
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Apparently during the fifth game in the second set, when the score was 30-30, her father was heard yelling instructins to her, which is a no-no and she was given a warning by the chair umpire. Myskina said that her father always does that and that most coaches do. Sharapova said she didn't hear what her father was saying.

I knew there was a reason a didn't like her father, other than the fact that he looks creepy.

JLDementieva
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:43 AM
hasn't she been giving a warning before too? was it during Wimbledon or something?

franny
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Yuri seems like someone who is too overly ambitious. He's going to push Maria too far I fear. Hopefully Maria can learn to grow away from her father and not get too attached. I mean, I know it sounds weird but there's something about an ambitious father and a 17 year old daughter that worries me. Sometimes it's difficult for coaches to remember to keep their mouth shut. They try to just yell out things like, "topspin maria, topspin" which are things that any fan could basically shut out. I never understood, what exactly counts as coaching? Does it have to be from the player's coach to be considered as coaching? If so, then the coach can just have a friend sit somewhere close to the court and act like a fan just screaming out random tips to the player.

franny
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:49 AM
LizChris, are u getting these things from an interview? Do you have a full transcript of Myskina's and Maria's interviews or something?

Dan23
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:51 AM
This has become a fairly regular occurance lately...:(
It usually happens at times in the match when Maria could really do with out the distraction..

rue
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:52 AM
She actually was given warnings some time during the indoor season, so it happens quite frequently.

franny
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Again, Yuri is too ambitious.

lizchris
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:56 AM
LizChris, are u getting these things from an interview? Do you have a full transcript of Myskina's and Maria's interviews or something?
I am getting these comments from a SportsTicker article.

martinafan
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:07 AM
i think she was also given a coaching warning in the Zurich final against Molik, wasn't she????

tenn_ace
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:08 AM
if you ever, I mean EVER, watched any pro tennis match, you'd know that it happens ALL the time.

Chunchun
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:10 AM
shouldn't the warning give to her damn dad but not Masha?

Dan23
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:12 AM
shouldn't the warning give to her damn dad but not Masha?It was given to Yuri...but ultimately the punishment is given to Masha who is distracted further and would instantly have a point given to her opponent if it continued :)

Mr_Molik
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:18 AM
the same thing happened against alicia in zurich :rolleyes:
i find a parent being so into their daughters sport really really creepy :scared: :unsure:

shap_half
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Ok where's the deluge of derisive comments against Masha??

Isn't that what Justine received in IW when she was given a similar warning against Sveta.

Gowza
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:52 AM
i think she was also given a coaching warning in the Zurich final against Molik, wasn't she????
i think she was.

SJW
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:13 AM
she always does it, it's so fucking annoying, if she has the ability to win a SLAM, surely she has the ability to go through some matches without looking to yuri :rolleyes:

Spunky83
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Confirmed ;) . I remember that one.

manu32
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:11 AM
i saw myskina many times coached at FO against venus villiams....and no warning???

bandabou
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:24 AM
They really should do something about it......it seems like every match you hear Maria got coached during the match.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:45 AM
For one thing her dad is NOT her coach,
you are allowed Encouragement, there is a big big difference (although some would say little)
whats next your coach not allowed to clap or even nod his head ?????

just cos you encourage in a diff language dont mean you are coaching
in Zurich she was warned cos he said "come on" :rolleyes:

thats how pathetic its getting :o
Every match i've seen, there's always coach/player interactivity going on.

Lady
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:31 PM
For one thing her dad is NOT her coach,
you are allowed Encouragement, there is a big big difference (although some would say little)
whats next your coach not allowed to clap or even nod his head ?????

just cos you encourage in a diff language dont mean you are coaching
in Zurich she was warned cos he said "come on" :rolleyes:

thats how pathetic its getting :o
Every match i've seen, there's always coach/player interactivity going on.

Off course it happens all the time! ;)
In Moscow during Chakvetadze - Safina match I was sitting right behind both coaches, and they were giving advises left & right! ;)

BTW, Maria also recieved a warning during US Open! I'm surprised they do it to Masha so often.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:37 PM
In Moscow during Chakvetadze - Safina match I was sitting right behind both coaches, and they were giving advises left & right! ;)

BTW, Maria also recieved a warning during US Open! I'm surprised they do it to Masha so often.
Maria looks at her camp too often, so any thing they do while she's looking at them could be given against her, thats another reason.

Many players know where their camp is sitting and recognise their voice and without looking at them, that its aimed her her.
Masha gives it away, she'll learn.

Maria dad also gets too animated, another flaw, although he's been less so last few weeks.

Pureracket
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:38 PM
As much as I like Serena Williams, it seemed to me that, at times, Richard would be having a full fledged conversation with her from the front row. .. . .LOL!!!!!

kabuki
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:39 PM
What's the big deal? :shrug:

Pureracket
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Maria dad also gets too animated, another flaw, although he's been less so last few weeks.He gets even more animated than THAT?!?!?! :eek: This man looks like he is full of energy. . . .LOL!

Sharapower
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Probably because her Dad doesn't knwo how to do it discretly (which means he's not that clever a coach compared to other players'). However, it's kinda stupid to do coaching to Maria, she's so talented that she always finds out from herself what to do, her problem is that sometimes she just can't do it (first serve, forehand).

In fact I think Masha's biggest flaw at this point is that, tall as she is, sometimes when getting a little bit tired, she lacks of balance and yet can't bend her knees enough on low ball bounces. It takes some time for tall girls to find a good balance and a permanently proper footwork (see Venus or Lindsay). And this, you don't fix it with coaching, you just need to wait like 2 or 3 years.

DevilishAttitude
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:45 PM
About time something happened

Yuri's reactions and the way he is pisses me off it's so annoying :rolleyes:

The only time it was reasonable was when Sharapova won Wimbledon :p

volta
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:42 PM
this hasnīt been the first time that she recieves this type of warnings

i personally dislike much more her fater then her.

oih and btw when Seles played people were always complaining about her scream well LOKK @ Maria vs Myskina match and hear the maria screams. any complaines?!yeah thought so........

DA FOREHAND
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Probably because her Dad doesn't knwo how to do it discretly (which means he's not that clever a coach compared to other players'). However, it's kinda stupid to do coaching to Maria, she's so talented that she always finds out from herself what to do, her problem is that sometimes she just can't do it (first serve, forehand).

In fact I think Masha's biggest flaw at this point is that, tall as she is, sometimes when getting a little bit tired, she lacks of balance and yet can't bend her knees enough on low ball bounces. It takes some time for tall girls to find a good balance and a permanently proper footwork (see Venus or Lindsay). And this, you don't fix it with coaching, you just need to wait like 2 or 3 years.

There has never been anything wrong with Lindsay's footwork, she may be a bit slow but her footwork is spot on, which is why she's the cleanest striker of the ball in womens tennis.

Jaime Bahena
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Players should be allowed to have coaching between games. I can only imagine how differently the rankings would be if tennis players were allowed to receiving coaching like athletes in other sports do.

fammmmedspin
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:34 PM
According to the commentary after losing the first set Maria was talking to her Dad in the break asking what she could do. The warning came way later for something in a game which by definition must have been slighter. If they are going to enforce the rule it would help if they did it consistently. If its going on all the time there's not much point in ignoring it most of the time and mentioning it once. If you are ignoring it why mention it when the second set was in the balance.

Pengwin
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:54 PM
The way he says 'Come On' is very distracting to the opponent and he only says it at certain points. He would'nt say it at 2-2 15-15 would he.

Paldias
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:25 PM
I really hope Maria didn't hear her because that would suck for Myskina.

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Apparently during the fifth game in the second set, when the score was 30-30, her father was heard yelling instructins to her, which is a no-no and she was given a warning by the chair umpire. Myskina said that her father always does that and that most coaches do. Sharapova said she didn't hear what her father was saying.

I knew there was a reason a didn't like her father, other than the fact that he looks creepy.
Creepy ? It's not strong enough :scared: I mean, I know I sound like a total Masha hater these days (I've gotta say I don't like her very much), but her father is worse... He looks like a maniac!