PDA

View Full Version : Myskina Gives Sharapova No Chance of Beating Serena

lizchris
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:33 AM
This is what Myskina said after her loss to Sharapova regarding Maria's chances of winning tomorrow:

"The way Serena played today, I don't think (Sharapova) has any chance," said Myskina, who lost to her compatriot for the first time in four career meetings. "I think she played unbelievable. If Maria can play the same level as Wimbledon, she was not showing me today."

I really don't agree. If Sharapova can play like she did at Wimbledon, she could probably beat Serena, but that is if Serena plays the way she did at Wimbldon and I don't see that happening unless Serena is really, really tired.

xcrtbckhnd
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Maria certainly has a chance IMO. Especially considering Serena's injured arm. If Serena loses her ability to serve well, Maria can certainly jump on the returns. I'm surprised that Nastya would feel that way, but she should know, I guess.

JLDementieva
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:40 AM
Yeah Nastya, she was not showing you that same level, yet you still managed to lose the match after being up a set :rolleyes:

franny
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Before we all jump on Myskina, I think that what she meant was that Maria was NOT playing at her Wimbledon level TODAY. Which is true, she didn't. She made so many errors and was just not playing that well. Meanwhile, Serena played great against Mauresmo. So basically, Anastasia was saying that based on their current level of play, she doesn't think Maria has any chance. Obviously it wasn't a very nice thing to say, but I think that she was just being honest. I'm not going to hate her for it, I can only hope that Maria proves her wrong.

Hachiko
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Gee the top players are at each others throats lately!

Dan23
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:46 AM
:D Nastys being a little nasty again..:lol: j/k

Seriously this is quite different to Wimbledon...who knows what will happen this time.

rue
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:04 AM
I think that tomorrow Serena will have a bit of an edge. She will be looking to avenge her loss at Wimbledon and she won't let Maria get off easily. Even if Serena is a bit injured she will go and play it all out cos she knows that it will be her last match of the year.

Chunchun
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Myskina :ras: :ras: she's sour eh :tape:

Shane54
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Both players will have to be at their best! It will be real tough. Who knows? Maria might go in real confident after beating her nemesis today

Leo_DFP
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Whoo, these post-match interviews are becoming heated!

grmbl
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Go Nastya! :bounce:

dreamgoddess099
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:20 AM
"The way Serena played today, I don't think (Sharapova) has any chance," said Myskina, who lost to her compatriot for the first time in four career meetings. "I think she played unbelievable. If Maria can play the same level as Wimbledon, she was not showing me today."

Yeah but the qeustion is did Serena overdo it with her arm today. She was missing first serves left and right in that long deuce game. She's going to be silm pickens tomorrow.

Fingon
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:24 AM
certainly Maria will have better chances than Myskina

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:30 AM
Myskina... your attitude makes me vomit!

if anyone feels the need to bad rep me because of this commentary, please do so! I feel no guilt of expressing how sick she makes me!

lizchris
Nov 15th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah but the qeustion is did Serena overdo it with her arm today. She was missing first serves left and right in that long deuce game. She's going to be silm pickens tomorrow.

Her arm may mot be the issue most people are making it out to be. It was suposed to be hurting agaisnt Dementieva, but she won. It should have been hurting more against Lindsay, but she won the first set of their match. To be blunt, she should not have had much energy to beat Mauresmo yesterday, but she did. This year is not like 2002 when Kim only had to play five games against Venus and Serena played a tough three set match against Jennifer. Serena played first this time (due to her commitments for the American Music Awards, which she ended up skipping) and Maria had a three set match also, just not as tough.

Pureracket
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Umm. . .. Maria's match was not just as tough. I agree with the rest of what you said, though.

Experimentee
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Sharapova isnt without a chance. It sounds to me like it was mainly Serena's fighting spirit that kept her in the matches rather than her best play. And Serena hasnt been doing well in finals this year, he chokes all the bloody time. So I guess Myskina is just bitter because definitely Sharapova has a chance.

lizchris
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Sharapova isnt without a chance. It sounds to me like it was mainly Serena's fighting spirit that kept her in the matches rather than her best play. And Serena hasnt been doing well in finals this year, he chokes all the bloody time. So I guess Myskina is just bitter because definitely Sharapova has a chance.

But Sharapova has not been good in finals higher than Tier III save one (Wimbledon). At least Serena has the capacity to get to those finals.

bandabou
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Hmm.....I think one big difference this time compared to Wimbledon is that Serena´s forehand seems to be holding up better....and she is hitting full out again. Against an opponent like Maria that will be the key...to keep the ball deep because Maria really pounces short balls. I expect a good match.

But that is to be expected......face it, ALL Serena´s matches have been great at this YEC. Not so much perhaps by quality, but moreso in the drama, entertainment, crowd involvement, etc...

lizchris
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Hmm.....I think one big difference this time compared to Wimbledon is that Serena´s forehand seems to be holding up better....and she is hitting full out again. Against an opponent like Maria that will be the key...to keep the ball deep because Maria really pounces short balls. I expect a good match.

But that is to be expected......face it, ALL Serena´s matches have been great at this YEC. Not so much perhaps by quality, but moreso in the drama, entertainment, crowd involvement, etc...
In additon, I saw Maria make a lot of overhits in the first set of her match against Myskina. If Serena can force her to overhit tonight, Maria's game will be error filled and Serena will win easily.

Sharapower
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Lol @ Myskina. Her comment makes me think of Ruzedsky's after losing to His Majesty Pete I in the USO 2002.
Hopefully Myskina's mouth have the same magic power as Greg's :devil: !!
That's just the kind of comment that you should never make even though you think it sincerely and with reason.

Fingon
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:39 PM
But Sharapova has not been good in finals higher than Tier III save one (Wimbledon). At least Serena has the capacity to get to those finals.
save for Wimbledon and those tier 3/4, she's been in a grand total of 1 final :rolleyes:

Fingon
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:41 PM
In additon, I saw Maria make a lot of overhits in the first set of her match against Myskina. If Serena can force her to overhit tonight, Maria's game will be error filled and Serena will win easily.
you really have no clue don't you?, Myskina and Serena's styles couldn't be more different.

Serena certainly can win, but to say she can win by forcing Maria into errors is laughable to say the least.

Serena the counterpuncher :lol:

lizchris
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:48 PM
you really have no clue don't you?, Myskina and Serena's styles couldn't be more different.

Serena certainly can win, but to say she can win by forcing Maria into errors is laughable to say the least.

Serena the counterpuncher :lol:

I didn't think Amelie could, but she did.

Fingon
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:51 PM
I didn't think Amelie could, but she did.
it's not a matter of beating Maria, it's how you beat her. Serena is one of the most aggressive players ever, if there is someone who isn't a counterpuncher is Serena, and you bring Amelie? :confused: , Amelie's game is nothing like Serena's, or Myskina's.
It's a known fact that some style of play are more difficult to deal with for some player than for others

apoet29
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I really think people need to give Sharapova more credit. She did make the finals of Zurich, beating Venus and Elena D along the way. Zurich is a tier 1 event. Now she is in the finals of the YEC, in her debut no less, beating Sveta, Vera, and Nastya along the way. All four players were players she had not beaten all summer which says that Maria has learned how to defeat players who have beaten her previously. Given how much she has picked up her game since her lull this summer, I think she has as good of a chance as any to win.

As for Myskina, her comment is a typical bitchy comment I have come to expect from the Russians with regards to Maria. Given how well Maria has done this year, you would at least think they would be happy to see their compatriot succeed.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:55 PM
thats why we love tennis ;)

Player A bts B,
B beats C
u'd think logically A would beat C too, often not the case.

mboyle
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:14 PM
She's 1-1. How is that bad? She lost the one she did with an injured shoulder. Not only do I think Maria has a chance, I think she's the favorite. Serena has a far worse record in finals this year.

mboyle
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:16 PM
As for Myskina, well, she thinks she is considerably better than she is. Oh I can't WAIT for her to fall out of the top ten next year:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: !

kabuki
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:18 PM
As for Myskina, well, she thinks she is considerably better than she is. Oh I can't WAIT for her to fall out of the top ten next year:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: !

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Sharapower
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Myskina said very clearly in the second set

Shut the F*** Up

Was she talking about the Big Screen or Sharapova ;) ;)
:haha:

DevilishAttitude
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Myskina being a bit :rolleyes: if Sharapova has no chance then she would have needed a miracle :lol: :tape:

the cat
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Judio, I think Myskina was talking about the big screen.

Good point apoet. The Russina's catty remarks towards Maria are very annoying. :mad: Atleast Masha has the class not to knock them. :)

xan
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Looks like Myskina's being bitchy because she lost her unbeaten dominance over Maria.

Anyway Maria's reply was this:

Sharapova countered: "I'm so excited to be in the final, I don't care about my chances. "She is obviously going to want her revenge. And I am in the finals of the Championships, so I want it badly, too."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4011831.stm

DA FOREHAND
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:03 PM
First off I don't think Serena will be feeding Maria short ball after short ball as she did in the Wimbledon final, therefore Maria will most likely have to create her own chances, that will be interesting to see. Don't expect Maria, to wipe the court again.

GO SERENA

lizchris
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:23 PM
She's 1-1. How is that bad? She lost the one she did with an injured shoulder. Not only do I think Maria has a chance, I think she's the favorite. Serena has a far worse record in finals this year.
She might, but at least she had real competion and was dealing with a knee that could flare up at any time.

the cat
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Masha has arrived Liz.

charmedRic
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Lean back people, and just enjoy the tennis. This is almost over now, why can't we be friends?

lizchris
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Masha has arrived Liz.

I didnt' say she didn't, but she has to start winning other titles otuside the Grand Slams that are not Tier III or Tier IV.

HellanSpicen
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Serena still playing at half potential. Therefore, I'd still give Maria the edge. However, I think if Serena can clean up her game she'd be the one to beat. I also think that Venus if she gets her game together would be just as good. I although I may be in an minority believe an strong Serena and Venus is better then the rest of the field. Sure Maria, Maresmo, Henin, Msykina, and Clisters are just an tiny fraction lower. Also include Vera

Venus will probably take a little longer to come into form then Serena. People have to understand everyone's recovery time is different for each player.

apoet29
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:37 PM
She might, but at least she had real competion and was dealing with a knee that could flare up at any time.
Interesting! So at Zurich and the YEC, Maria didn't have real competition? Hmm, someone may want to tell Venus, Elena, Nastya, Sveta and Vera that they aren't real competition! :lol: Also, Maria has been having shoulder problems since Zurich and is dealing with a shoulder that could flare up at any time.:rolleyes:

cheo23
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Interesting! So at Zurich and the YEC, Maria didn't have real competition? Hmm, someone may want to tell Venus, Elena, Nastya, Sveta and Vera that they aren't real competition! :lol: Also, Maria has been having shoulder problems since Zurich and is dealing with a shoulder that could flare up at any time.:rolleyes:
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SHe's GOTTEN HER REVENGE ON VENUS,ELEna Dementieva in Zurich
REAchin the FInAl & losin to Alicia Molik
BUt in the next TOurnament she BEAT ALICIA MOLIK before Withdrawing
THis WEEK she's undefeated against the RUSSIANS; rollin past the US OPEN CHAMP. SVETLANA,
OUtlasting VERA, & FINALLY DEFEATIN the FRENCH OPEN CHAMPION MYSKINA!

bandabou
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:49 PM
First off I don't think Serena will be feeding Maria short ball after short ball as she did in the Wimbledon final, therefore Maria will most likely have to create her own chances, that will be interesting to see. Don't expect Maria, to wipe the court again.

GO SERENA

Exactly....at wimbledon Serena was just hitting waaaayyy too short and that put her on the defensive from the start....but since then she´s been improving day by the day,....hitting balls deeper and hitting more full out.

I expect a better match than last time at Wimbledon.

Plus I think on this surface Serena´s ability to turn defense into offense will get a better chance to shine.

bandabou
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Yeah....seems like Maria really was on a mission against her fellow russians.

the cat
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Well said Sumeeta.

Liz, it's all about the grand slams where players like Sharpaova are concerned. Tier l's and the YEC are good titles to win but they don't compare to winning grand slam singles titles.

lizchris
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:56 PM

I was talking about her Tier III and Tier IV tournaments. I didn't think I had to spell that out for you, but then again...

K-Dog
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:00 PM
I think that Maria has shown this week that she can win even if she isn't playing her best. I believe that she can beat Serena, but that all depends on Serena.

bandabou
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I think that Maria has shown this week that she can win even if she isn't playing her best. I believe that she can beat Serena, but that all depends on Serena.

So has Serena...

Spunky83
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Myskina... your attitude makes me vomit!

if anyone feels the need to bad rep me because of this commentary, please do so! I feel no guilt of expressing how sick she makes me!

...you are not even worth a bad rep point...

The only thing which makes me vomit is this threat...first it was Myskina "judging" this coaching thing and now this. Why do you guys have to pick out little random comments from a player and make a big horrible thing out of it?

Apperently she said that Masha´s father always coaches her just like a lot of other coaches do and now comes the comment which hasn´t appeared here on this board:

"I understand what he's going through," she said. "If I was on the sidelines watching every match, I would be pretty emotional, too."

...and to all the Masha-fans out there: You would be underestimating your fave if you think that this Wimbledon-comment about her was mean. You of all people know that she can do lot better, that´s basically all Nastya said.

BOTTOMLINE

Mrs. Peel
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Funny all this talk....wasn't Serena not even suppossed to make it to the SF?!?!? :rolleyes:

I like it when Serena is underestimated....hmmmmm...yeah...Sharapova's gonna kick her ass unless she chokes like Mauresmo, Myskina and Dementieva did. :p

Serena has just gotten lucky. Maria is the superior player.

K-Dog
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:22 PM
So has Serena...

I know, but when Maria wins when not playing her best it is because of her quality rises. While Serena's quality has risen in the Amelie match, she wasn't playing an opponent that could overpower her. Maria can do just that! Plus Serena hasn't played all that well in big finals except Miami. Serena is my second favorite player, with Venus being number 1, but this senario is just alittle freaky. Everyone is saying that Serena is playing great, but which Serena will show up tonight against Maria.

Natasc
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Today will be very funny.

We will see "weirds outfits" by Serena and funny screams by Maria

BTW, anyone knows which time in LA will began the final match?

bandabou
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:29 PM
I know, but when Maria wins when not playing her best it is because of her quality rises. While Serena's quality has risen in the Amelie match, she wasn't playing an opponent that could overpower her. Maria can do just that! Plus Serena hasn't played all that well in big finals except Miami. Serena is my second favorite player, with Venus being number 1, but this senario is just alittle freaky. Everyone is saying that Serena is playing great, but which Serena will show up tonight against Maria.

Maybe...but i don´t think Myskina was gonna overpower Maria either...

That´s the key....which Serena shows up? I think the mentally tough Serena has been slowly slowly been showing up more and more lately. Hopefully she´ll show up today too.

AlexB
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Well, only time will tell how good myskina is at predictions.

As for her motivation for those comments, you could look at it a number of ways. She could have been being honest in her thoughts, or just want it to stick it to sharapova for beating her. Myskina maybe was upset at losing to a pseudo russian. There is legitimate problems between them i think. Myskina, as do many other russian players, dont consider sharapova to be russian. Truth be told, sharapova is americanized, she is more american that russian. The russians seem to take this issue of nationality seriously and sharapova is not considered "one of them."

(Look at how myskina treats these internatioanl events. she is a staple of the fed cup team, and at the olympics she left her previous tournament early, didnt win the gold, then tanked the us open and the bali tournaments. She should forget about all these things i think and focus on being number one. although winning in athens was a bigger goal for her, my hope is she remains focused on the wta tour season and treat the olympics as an exhibition next time. Ide rather have a french open championship anyway)

Yesterday she went as far as she could go..she rallied to win the group and ran out of steam and lost..sharapova deserved to win 100%, no doubt about it. Then she was asked about sharapovas final chances and gave the answer she gave. I wont hate on her for her reply. losing to sharapova hurt more for whatever reason. Besides you know the wta marketing slogan "the closer you sit..the more you realize myskina is better than sharapova." If it was me, i wouldnt be happy if i was better but someone else was getting more press. Im not talking about endorsments, but here in the US, most non tennis fans think sharapova is the best player in the world because the mainstream media only covers her (and the williams sisters). If that was her reason, she wasn't being bitchy at all, i dont think.

Also forget about her dropping out of the top 10..she is, after all closer to number 1 than to number 11.

apoet29
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:03 PM
I was talking about her Tier III and Tier IV tournaments. I didn't think I had to spell that out for you, but then again...Well, well, do I see a backhanded insult in there? :devil:

It looks like I am going to have to spell it out for you. This year, Maria has made 6 finals--1 tier IV, 2 tier 3s, 1 tier 1, 1 GS and 1 YEC final. So by that count, she is three for three when it comes to lower tiered events and upper tiered events. She won Wimbledon and has a shot of winning the YEC, so yes, I think her year is comparable to Serena's. Besides, Maria didn't just play small events this year. So yes, I had a problem with your stating that the players she had beaten in these events were not real competition. You're talking about three GS champions and a two-time GS finalist. Yes, she should have won Zurich, but Serena should have won a lot of matches this year that she lost.

I have a problem with people who judge their favorites by one set of rules and every other player by another. If we were talking about Serena Williams here, I think your attitude would be quite different.

lizchris
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Well, well, do I see a backhanded insult in there? :devil:

It looks like I am going to have to spell it out for you. This year, Maria has made 6 finals--1 tier IV, 2 tier 3s, 1 tier 1, 1 GS and 1 YEC final. So by that count, she is three for three when it comes to lower tiered events and upper tiered events. She won Wimbledon and has a shot of winning the YEC, so yes, I think her year is comparable to Serena's. Besides, Maria didn't just play small events this year. So yes, I had a problem with your stating that the players she had beaten in these events were not real competition. You're talking about three GS champions and a two-time GS finalist. Yes, she should have won Zurich, but Serena should have won a lot of matches this year that she lost.

I have a problem with people who judge their favorites by one set of rules and every other player by another. If we were talking about Serena Williams here, I think your attitude would be quite different.It wasn't a backhanded insult; it was the truth.

BTW, Serena would not have come up in the conversation because she has not play a Tier III tournament in more than 5 five years. And she damn sure wasn't playing them when she won her first Slam.

FrauleinSteffi
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:38 PM
I think Myskina is upset Maria wasnt riding on the horse semi nude like Anastia did in GQ magazine lol:) Myskina is jealous of Maria I think ...Maria is playing wonderfully well Lets see She beat Vera(ok not a problem huh),Svetlana(very impressively),& Myskina too Maria keeps improving & Serena needs to be in top form to win because Maria can slug it out with her thats for sure ...Go Maria!..Im sure it will be a great match

bandabou
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:39 PM
More than 6 years, liz.....if ever.

franny
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:40 PM
I hope that Maria doesn't have a letdown at this crucial stage of a tournament. She might be so happy and relieved after beating all her fellow Russians that she would have a mental letdown for this match. I hope not, don't be content with a finals showing Maria!!!

apoet29
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:45 PM
It wasn't a backhanded insult; it was the truth.

BTW, Serena would not have come up in the conversation because she has not play a Tier III tournament in more than 5 five years. And she damn sure wasn't playing them when she won her first Slam.
So if a player plays tier 3 events, it somehow lessens their GS win? Pray tell me, how do you figure that?

Again, you missed my point. Maria beat some fine players this year, including Serena. For that she deserves a lot of credit. No one expected her to win a GS this year much less beat Serena in the process. Yes, she has won a lot of little titles this year, but that does not make her any less of a champion and yes, she still have plenty of time to prove herself in the big events. I would think that winning Wimbledon and making the finals of Zurich and the YEC would be enough to prove that she is a contender, but since her last name isn't Williams, I guess that she is not good enough for some people.:lol:

I think it is important to remember that everyone progresses differently. Serena, I don't think, ever played a tier 3 or lowered event in her career. Looking at her career, it would have been a waste of her time to do so. Other players; however, need those small titles to build up confidence and learn how to win. I see nothing wrong with doing whatever someone needs to do get their career going. Serena took the path less traveled. It worked for her and good for her. Maria is taking her own path. Personally, I just think that anyone who manages to achieve anything in a sport as tough as tennis deserves some respect.

AlexB
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:49 PM
I think Myskina is upset Maria wasnt riding on the horse semi nude like Anastia did in GQ magazine lol:) Myskina is jealous of Maria I think ...Maria is playing wonderfully well Lets see She beat Vera(ok not a problem huh),Svetlana(very impressively),& Myskina too Maria keeps improving & Serena needs to be in top form to win because Maria can slug it out with her thats for sure ...Go Maria!..Im sure it will be a great match

myskina is not/should not be jealous..she is the better player. she should be mad she doesnt get the recognition she deserves as russia's #1

Sanneriet
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Before we all jump on Myskina, I think that what she meant was that Maria was NOT playing at her Wimbledon level TODAY. Which is true, she didn't. She made so many errors and was just not playing that well. Meanwhile, Serena played great against Mauresmo. So basically, Anastasia was saying that based on their current level of play, she doesn't think Maria has any chance. Obviously it wasn't a very nice thing to say, but I think that she was just being honest. I'm not going to hate her for it, I can only hope that Maria proves her wrong.

I agree. I just hope we get the Wimbledon final that we expected.

FrauleinSteffi
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Myskina was good this year but off of clay she was terrible in Slams & won only 2 other tourneys Maria Won Wimby Finals so far in YEC & Zurich & won in Birmingham & won three other tourneys Maria is only 17 ..she will be #1 soon shes the best Russian player & at least not so moody or crying all the time or dark or has a serve slower than the speed limit ....I think shes great for tennis & enjoy watching her play Shes great for tennis:)

Jakeev
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Regardless of what Myskina thinks she knows, it is anybody's ball game this evening. Just gonna depend on who is on and if Serena can outgun Maria from the outset.

fammmmedspin
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Myskina :ras: :ras: she's sour eh :tape:
Hardly. She said Serena was unplayable yesterday - ask Momo. She also said Maria was not at her Wimbledon level - watch the match . If Serena is unplayable and Maria is not at her best Nastya's conclusion is the right one - obviously the calculation excludes injury, Serena playing like Venus on the day, Serena's arm falling off or lightning hitting Serena twice.

The interesting question is if Nastya concluded before playing Maria that losing to Maria was better than facing unplayable Serena.- particularly as she showed she could dominate Maria still for the first set.

Martian KC
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Does any player like sharapova?:haha:

G_Slammed
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Iva Majoli does.

She picked the bellpepper over S. Williams for the title.

Oh wait.
It's well known that Majoli detests the Williams sisters. So Majoli would pick thin air over Williams to win.

Lemonskin.
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:09 PM
:scared:

So much hate in here...

bandabou
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:26 PM
I think it is important to remember that everyone progresses differently. Serena, I don't think, ever played a tier 3 or lowered event in her career. Looking at her career, it would have been a waste of her time to do so. Other players; however, need those small titles to build up confidence and learn how to win. I see nothing wrong with doing whatever someone needs to do get their career going. Serena took the path less traveled. It worked for her and good for her. Maria is taking her own path. Personally, I just think that anyone who manages to achieve anything in a sport as tough as tennis deserves some respect.

And that´s why people shouldn´t compare the two...

Serena was good from the beginning....when she won big, people expected it....whereas with Maria it still comes as a surprise when she wins something, let alone something big.

lizchris
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Iva Majoli does.

She picked the bellpepper over S. Williams for the title.

Oh wait.
It's well known that Majoli detests the Williams sisters. So Majoli would pick thin air over Williams to win.

What the hell did the sisters ever do to her, except have better careers?

salima
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Lean back people, and just enjoy the tennis. This is almost over now, why can't we be friends?
Good point charmedRic, meanwhile we can watch some balls played in the last matches, and listen to what Maria Sharapova says in by her own words.
Here is link:
http://www.rtr-sport.ru/images.html?cid=24&p=1

crazillo
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:40 PM
I think Myskina just pointed out the facts. Serena fought and wants the title, Maria had a few good tournies, but she has to confirm that next season which will be difficult for her IMO. I give Serena the edge here.

fammmmedspin
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Ask Momo. She beat one and couldn't beat the other. Now if they both play differently anything could happen but if you worked on that principle Nastya would be saying " they both might win" to any match you mentioned Alexandra might beat Lindsay.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:35 AM
I don't buy Myskina's theory that Serena is playing at a high level of tennis. That's just Myskina's way of saying she hope Maria Sharapova loses to Serena. As far as Serena playing very well that's just not the case. She has had to fight tooth and nail every match at this years YEC. Serena has competed great but not played great. On the other hand Maria Sharapova has shown better form at the YEC than Serena has. But I don't think that will matter tonight as I have predicted Serena will beat Masha 6-4 6-3 in the 2004 YEC final. I think Serena will have the crowd with her and come up with the goods to beat Maria.

tennischick
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:58 AM
if Serena wins, it will re-affirm that she is the top player in the WTA and is always the player to beat.

if Maria wins, it will re-affirm that her Wimby win was not a fluke and that her game successfully matches up against Serena's.

all i want is a good match. ;)

the cat
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Hi TC! :wavey: I really think maria has proved that winning Wimbledon wasn't a fluke. She's certainly not a great tennis player at this point in her career. But she is very good and seems to be improving by leaps and bounds. :) Only time will tell how good she will be. And I hope she doesn't have the distractions to take her off course that other young female tennis players have had.

tennischick
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:06 AM
i disagree. Maria still needs to prove that that Wimby win was not a one-time fluke. (OK there are no flukes but you know what i mean). winning a series of lower level tournies doesn't prove that. making it to the YEC finals certainly gives her a lot of cred. but spanking Serena again will be the icing on the cake and will shut her critics up. let's see if she can do this. i hope her dad remembers the no-coaching rule! :p

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:20 AM
I don't buy Myskina's theory that Serena is playing at a high level of tennis. That's just Myskina's way of saying she hope Maria Sharapova loses to Serena. As far as Serena playing very well that's just not the case. She has had to fight tooth and nail every match at this years YEC. Serena has competed great but not played great. On the other hand Maria Sharapova has shown better form at the YEC than Serena has. But I don't think that will matter tonight as I have predicted Serena will beat Masha 6-4 6-3 in the 2004 YEC final. I think Serena will have the crowd with her and come up with the goods to beat Maria.

Not surpring, considering that Serena was the lowest-ranked in her group.

I´d argue too that Maria only had ONE great, great match: against Sveta....because in the other matches she had to fight too.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Maria's dad needs to be disciplined now TC before his coaching from the stands becomes an embarrassing problem for Maria. :o I hope the WTA Tour can convince Yuri Sharapov that he needs to be less controlling of Maria and also not coach her during matches.

And Masha by making the finals of the Tier l in Zurich and the YEC has already proven winning Wimbledon wasn't a fluke. And she did well in her first Wimbledon in 2003. So it was no fluke she won Wimbledon this year. Although I do realize Masha still has a long way to go to become a great tennis player and a complete tennis player. But so far so good for Mashenka! :D By the way TC, I think Serena will come of with the goods tonight in the YEC final against Sharapova and re-establish some of her top player credibility.

Doc
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:26 AM
i disagree. Maria still needs to prove that that Wimby win was not a one-time fluke. (OK there are no flukes but you know what i mean). winning a series of lower level tournies doesn't prove that. making it to the YEC finals certainly gives her a lot of cred. but spanking Serena again will be the icing on the cake and will shut her critics up. let's see if she can do this. i hope her dad remembers the no-coaching rule! :p

Maria has done more than enough this year already to back up her Wimbledon Championship win. Let's see.. She's beaten both the French Open and the US Open Champs already this week. She's at least number 6 in the World (maybe higher). She has two unbroken streaks of 14 and 10 plus straight wins... 4 Tournament titles to date... Tier 1 and YEC Finalist. All done under the AER.

If Maria's a fluke, then the whole of the WTA Top Ten are flukes!

If Maria wins today, its icing on the cake. But even that wouldn't shut the Maria-bashers up. If Maria won every single slam and the YEC, there'd still be people here mawking and whingeing about her.

fammmmedspin
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Don't think Nastya thinks like that. She probably still thinks she can handle Maria - the first set proved it and it was Nastya who went off. Serena winning is more dangerous to everyone on the tour - Serena confident would be a major problem that Nastya knows would be more difficult to handle. If I was Nastya I would want lots of russians I could beat, a lindsay I can beat and a Momo and Serena lacking in confidence at the top of the game - not a return to 2003. The ideal solution for Nastya was for Lindsay to beat up Serena and Momo and then lose to Nastya but the draw didn't allow that. Maria winning is actually good for her in the short term - although if she doesn't like Maria that might be a problem.

Serena rarely has played at a consistently high level of tennis - remember all those awful matches she scratched her way through in 2003 even? Thats why she doesn't make my fan list as I prefer watching the ball land in court, but it does mean she makes up for it by playing unplayable, brilliant tennis at other times. The point this week was that she managed it for a set against Lindsay and for 2 against Momo. Her performance there was better than she managed at wimbledon. She was at a level only Lindsay matched a set too late.

Maria got near her best against Sveta but was not really confident or at her best against Momo or Nastya. If Nastya had not gone off she would probably be watching Nastya tonight. Maria looked more tired and more stressed as the week went on. Serena is gaining her old confidence or at least more of it.

Now if Maria can replicate her Sveta match form and Serena can't get up to her Momo match level anything could happen. On what we have seen so far though Nastya looks sensible to pick Serena.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Doc, Masha is proving that winning Wimbledon wasn't a fluke. But to be fair she still has a long way to go to be a great player and she did take advantage of the abscence of Justine Henin for most of the year and Kim Clijsters for almost the entire year. And I give her credit for that. Anyway you look at it Masha has had a great year and she has taken advantage of the opportunities in front of her they way Myskina and Kuznetsova took advantage of their opportunities.

Sharapower
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Lol @ Myskina. Her comment makes me think of Ruzedsky's after losing to His Majesty Pete I in the USO 2002.
Hopefully Myskina's mouth have the same magic power as Greg's :devil: !!
That's just the kind of comment that you should never make even though you think it sincerely and with reason.
Indeed it had :haha: . Myskina's probably gonna be more careful with what she says in post match interviews, for sure :devil: :devil:.

Anyway I like Nastya too.

kikker
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:24 AM
boy what was she wrong :p

Spunky83
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:30 AM
boy what was she wrong :p

She wasn´t. She said IF Serena played like she did that day, Masha would have no chance beating her, cause Masha herself wasn´t playing as well as in Wimby at the match vs. Nastya. So basically she was right: Serena was injured and Maria played at a higher level than she did in the semis.

greenfunkTHREE.
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Myskina said very clearly in the second set

Shut the F*** Up

Was she talking about the Big Screen or Sharapova ;) ;)

judio.

you mean myskina said fuck, in the 2nd set of the yec? was it like broadcasted? how did she say it. sighh. what a bad example. but she's still my favourite. anyway why she say it(to the big screen)?

10nisfanofruz
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I don't think Myskina wanted to insult Maria or anything. She pissed about losing to Maria for the 1st time and in the big tournament like this. Myskina would think that she had chance to win because of the H2H record but unfortunately it didn't turn out that way. :speakles:
Anyway, Maria is the YEC champion. I bet that Myskina would feel bad about what she said earlier because she was wrong about Maria. ;) :worship: :worship: :worship:

----------------------------------------------

What a perfecr year for Maria Sharapova :woohoo:
What a great way to end this year - perfect closure for the russian girls :bigclap: :bowdown: :aparty:

Spunky83
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:15 AM
judio.

you mean myskina said fuck, in the 2nd set of the yec? was it like broadcasted? how did she say it. sighh. what a bad example. but she's still my favourite. anyway why she say it(to the big screen)?

It was quite obvious, the camera was showing her face :lol: ...you always have to differ between why and to whom she directed her words...why? The big evil screen ( :rolleyes: ), her own failures, her own tiredness...to whom? Coach as always :tape:

Sharapower
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Yes I also clearly read "Shut the fuck up" on Anastasia's lips.

mboyle
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Was Ugly wrong yet again? I think so...

tennischick
Nov 18th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Maria has done more than enough this year already to back up her Wimbledon Championship win. Let's see.. She's beaten both the French Open and the US Open Champs already this week. She's at least number 6 in the World (maybe higher). She has two unbroken streaks of 14 and 10 plus straight wins... 4 Tournament titles to date... Tier 1 and YEC Finalist. All done under the AER.

If Maria's a fluke, then the whole of the WTA Top Ten are flukes!

If Maria wins today, its icing on the cake. But even that wouldn't shut the Maria-bashers up. If Maria won every single slam and the YEC, there'd still be people here mawking and whingeing about her.well she certainly proved herself IMO. she is the real deal, as Rollo says :wavey:

Doc
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Maria is a real Champion - but of course it didn't silence the Maria-bashers.

Maria is now 2nd ranked Russian, snapping at Myskina's heels. I think that prospect may have been what Anastasia subconsciously wanted to avoid.