PDA

View Full Version : If Davenport can finish the year at #1 w/o a Slam...

vogus
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:16 AM
then Lena Dementieva should be able to win Player of the Year Award without a Slam as well. Davenport, Serena, Mauresmo, Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Henin, and Myskina are all contenders for this award, but IMO Lena D really deserves it and i hope she wins.

AjdeNate!
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:25 AM
To me, if Maria wins YEC, she's it. Else, Davenport.

JLDementieva
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Elena should defnitely considered, but I don't know if she will win considering her other results at other Grand Slams, and the YEC has been really disappointing too.

vogus
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:35 AM
no way Davenport should get Player of the Year without even a Slam final (OR Olympic OR YEC final) - she got #1 because she had the most points, fair enough, but the Player of the Year should be the player with the most compelling performances at the biggest events, and there's no way in hell Davenport qualifies for that. It's a scam if she wins - and the same goes for Mauresmo. If Sharapova beats Serena tomorrow, yeah, i could definitely see her winning it, i think most people wouldn't have a problem with Masha being chosen.

Chunchun
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:13 AM
then Lena Dementieva should be able to win Player of the Year Award without a Slam as well. Davenport, Serena, Mauresmo, Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Henin, and Myskina are all contenders for this award, but IMO Lena D really deserves it and i hope she wins.

:yeah: :yeah:

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:30 AM
I hope Elena D gets it for sure!!!

Fingon
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:02 AM
honestly, I like Elena and I think she is a great player,

But how can you be player of the year with multiple first round losses and no GSs is beyond me. Also her biggest (and only) title was a tier 3.

Of course Davenport shouldn't be either without even a GS final, no argument, the player of the year has to be one of the 4 GS winners.

shap_half
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:09 AM
I'd give it to Myskina or Henin-Hardenne. Justine still has a better record and title haul than any of the other GS titlist.

dukeblue5
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:22 AM
But how can you be player of the year with multiple first round losses and no GSs is beyond me. Also her biggest (and only) title was a tier 3.

Of course Davenport shouldn't be either without even a GS final, no argument, the player of the year has to be one of the 4 GS winners.

I agree. She's no where near to being player of the year...

chris whiteside
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Even the winner of the YEC will have beaten during that tournament. I don't think there should be a Player of the Year this year. It should be a 6-way tie!

jacs
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:40 AM
What are the qualifications for the WTA player of the year anyway?

Ryan
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Heeeelll no! Elena has two GS finals and a title in Hasselt, plus Miami and Moscow finals. Every other competitor had boatloads of more titles, #1, or a slam, and in many cases both.

wongqks
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Maria will win it no question if she wins YEC tomorrow. If not I will give 50% chance to Maria 50% to Justine

Kelly
Nov 15th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Lindsay's record this year is amazing.....for a player who was a certanty to retire after the us open to achieve what she has in 4 months is amazing....she's had a catalogue of serious injurys over the past 2 years and for her to come back and regain the number 1 slot is great. she has won 7 titles....been in 2 other finals....and apart from the french open has at least reached the QTRS in evry tournement...
everyone else has been too inconsistant

bandabou
Nov 15th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Hmmm......this year is gonna be tough. I think they´re gonna give it to Lindsay, just for sentimental reasons.

vettipooh
Nov 15th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Nah, win or lose they are gonna give it to Maria...just for media/popularity/hyped reasons.

tennnisfannn
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Justine hands down even if marai wins the final tomorrow. She won just about everything there was to win when she was healthy.
lindsay should be the sentimental favourite, they might decide it would only be fitting if she goes out with a bang.

irishgirl
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:21 PM
It would be lovely if Davenport won but I suppose it should go to the winner of a slam, the only thing is none of the slam winners were consistent over the season. Elena got to 2 slam finals she should of course be nominated!

fammmmedspin
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:54 PM
They will split horribly if Maria did win the YEC. maria will have a good case but some people will think that she is the hype answer and vote for someone else. But then the votes will spread all over the place and Maria will win anyway.

If Maria doesn't win there is no clear winner other than Justine who would have a GS and a Olympic title but that would label it as the year of the sick note...

Pengwin
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:17 PM
It WILL be Davenport because of her summer run and because it's a great story to have someone step out of the limelight to 'recapture' world number one etc.

jacs
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:00 AM

well, the things is, the rankings are based on a numerical system while the player of the year award is based, I guess, on a subjective scheme. The two aren't exactly parallel.

Egyptianbl
Jan 22nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
4 Jankovic.