PDA

View Full Version : Pop Idol Runner-Up Set For Number 1

shirley
Mar 19th, 2002, 06:33 PM
week according to midweek chart figures. Sales of Gareth's debut, Unchained Melody, picked up considerably yesterday after 4pm when the schools closed for the day. Gareth ended the day having sold well over 300,000 copies although this wasn't enough to beat Will Young's first day sales record of 385,000 set three weeks ago.

An HMV chart expert says it is still not impossible that Gareth could outsell Will's record of 1.1m copies by the end of the week. 'Failing that, he should comfortably pass the 750,000 of Band Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas in 1984 to become the second most successful debut single of all time,' said HMV's Gennaro Castaldo.

Gareth is outselling George Michael's new single, Freeek, at No 2, by a ratio of 5:1. Will Young is currently at No 3 on the midweek charts while Marilyn Manson's Tainted Love is at No 4. Ali G and Shaggy's Julie drops to No 5.

:rolleyes:

Kisha
Mar 19th, 2002, 06:38 PM
ditto shirley = :rolleyes:

the charts are SO bad! i just heard Lisa Roxanne's new stuff, and that flows! its totally dope! very great!

shirley
Mar 19th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Kisha
ditto shirley = :rolleyes:

the charts are SO bad! i just heard Lisa Roxanne's new stuff, and that flows! its totally dope! very great!

I mean it's no BIG shock that he's going to be Number 1 but he murders a classic song.

Kisha
Mar 19th, 2002, 06:46 PM
yeah! i mean it was a sure thang every since we first met him!!!!

oh well, as long as my ears are covered, its a great sound, but its even better when its on mute!:p

shirley
Mar 19th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Kisha
yeah! i mean it was a sure thang every since we first met him!!!!

oh well, as long as my ears are covered, its a great sound, but its even better when its on mute!:p

The MUTE button, a great friend ;) :bounce:

Mazza
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:05 PM
ugh@Gareth Gates :fiery: :mad: :o

Evey
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Oooh theres a shocker! Gareth gonna be Number one (:not!) :rolleyes

Martian Martin
Mar 20th, 2002, 12:07 AM
Pfffff, I'm getting extremely sick of all these ones from Pop Idol, yeah they did well in getting far in it, but it really annoys me that hard working groups get nowhere in the charts and these people only get high chart places, because they've been on the tv constantly for months :mad: