PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Stone's Alexander the Great Nov 24, 2004

Bacardi
Nov 14th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Anybody been lucky enough to see an early showing of this film? If so do share what you thought of it.
I'll see it on Nov 24th when it's out locally. Even thou that's like close to Thanksgiving the turkey and preparing of the dinner can wait for me to watch the last Angelina movie of the year.

Share your expectations of this film and if you think it's going to be good in this thread.

Also, my gf bought me a new copy of the Entertainment Weekly magazine last night and since I have a code for the website I'm posting the exclusive pics here. :wavey:

http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041111/135443__alex_l.jpghttp://i.timeinc.net/ew/covergallery/img/2004/nov192004_793_lg.jpg
http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041104/11324__alexander_l.jpghttp://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041111/135443__alex4_l.jpg
http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041111/135443__alex2_l.jpghttp://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041111/135443__alex3_l.jpg
http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041111/135443__alex5_l.jpg

Hulet
Nov 14th, 2004, 09:38 PM
A lot of blood-letting, head-bashing, screaming, ruined villages, etc. Why would I pay to see it when I could freely watch it on CNN? :)

Angelina Jolie looks mighty fine though. :)

Bacardi
Nov 14th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Um, because the difference is. Back then there were no bombs, so war and fighting was an artform. And also, the leaders weren't cowards and fought along with their men leading them into battle. :)

Plus there's some scene where Angelina's getting freaky with a snake. And Jared Leto and Colins characters have a love affair. :hehehe:

Martian KC
Nov 14th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Jared!:eek:

Ok, no more val kilmer on covers, please.

bw2082
Nov 14th, 2004, 11:41 PM
I don't know how it'll be. They postponed it a couple of times to rework some things so that's usually not a good sign.

Philbo
Nov 15th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Wasnt he gay? Does the movie cover that?

Martian KC
Nov 15th, 2004, 12:16 AM
He was bisexual.;) And I think they have cut most of the gay love scenes.

jenny161185
Nov 15th, 2004, 01:14 AM
nope theres stilla few gay love scenes where Colin gets intimate with Jared , not out here till 7/january 05 and ill see it first cos I work in the cinema!

CC
Nov 15th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Collin is lucky! Well, they are both really lucky.

M2k
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:16 AM
...sorry if I brake some hearts :o but it seems like the Bagoas/ Alexander sex scene was deleted, thought not the Roxane/Alexander one , from the final cut. I guess those rumors that the WB was pressuring the makers to re-edit the movie, to toned down the homosexual scenes, were true. :rolleyes:
On the bright side , it seems like Roxane is left in the background once her sex scene is done(yahooo), and Alexander does share some tender scenes with both Hephaistion (Jared) and Bagoas (Francisco)... which is better if you ask me! Let Roxane have her "Deja Vu" moment and save the meaningful scenes for Jared and Franscisco. :hearts:

M2k
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:26 AM
btw...

Alexander was Bisexual.

The male/male sex scene was with Bagoas(Franscisco) not Hephaistion(jared), though Alexander's great love was Hephaistion.

The only male/male kiss left in the movie is between Alexander and Bagoas. (darn it! ) *I hope we at least have some nice tender interaction with Hephaistion. I hope the WB is not so stupid as to eliminate that as well!!*

darren cahill
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:30 AM
I will be there with bells on...and possibly trembling everytime i see Colin. I adore that man and the ground he walks on...of course loving the feets that walk on that ground that i worship! i hope we get some shots of his naked bare feets too! but i fear for the embarrasment of my friends with me when i shriek...plus i heard he shows an ass shot as well!

hold me back!:devil: :worship: :o :D :p :eek: :kiss: :hearts: :drool: :bounce: :lick: :tape: :lol:

M2k
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:31 AM
At least one thing I'm sure!! It'll be much much better than the ridiculous "Troy". *who's Bisexuality was nowhere to be found in the movie* How insulting if you ask me!

ok I'm done for the day !

M2k
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:37 AM
I will be there with bells on...and possibly trembling everytime i see Colin. I adore that man and the ground he walks on...of course loving the feets that walk on that ground that i worship! i hope we get some shots of his naked bare feets too! but i fear for the embarrasment of my friends with me when i shriek...plus i heard he shows an ass shot as well!

hold me back!:devil: :worship: :o :D :p :eek: :kiss: :drool: :bounce: :lick: :tape: :lol:

lol..also remember "Brokeback Mountain" coming out next year :hearts: *and that promises to be even better! :lick: :lick:

btw Bisexuals,Gays, and Lesbians need to support these movies

darren cahill
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:48 AM
lol..also remember "Brokeback Mountain" coming out next year :hearts: *and that promises to be even better! :lick: :lick:

btw Bisexuals,Gays, and Lesbians need to support these movies
i forgot about brokeback mountain...is that heath ledger thats in that? or am i confusing that with some other actor?

Tennis Fool
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:48 AM
btw...

Alexander was Bisexual.
All men were "bisexual" in the ancient world. Let's not frame our modern views upon another time.

decemberlove
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:32 AM
i forgot about brokeback mountain...is that heath ledger thats in that? or am i confusing that with some other actor?

and jake gyllenhaal :hearts:

and my favorite cinematographer [the same one doing alexander] is doing the movie... so im all sorts of excited :)

decemberlove
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:47 AM
A lot of blood-letting, head-bashing, screaming, ruined villages, etc. Why would I pay to see it when I could freely watch it on CNN? :)

Angelina Jolie looks mighty fine though. :)

oliver stone isn't that type of director.

~{X}~
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Woot I applied to get some free tickets. I won't know if I got them or not until Friday but if I did...I get to see the movie a day early lol.

M2k
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:37 AM
All men were "bisexual" in the ancient world. Let's not frame our modern views upon another time.

I wouldn't say "all" men of course :angel: but *yes* it was not uncommon for the average man to have a male lover.

Bacardi
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:09 PM
I'll be there seeing anything with Angelina in it. If I had to sit thru a cartoon, I'll have no problem sitting thru a history period piece when those are my favorite films anyway.

http://www.alexanderthemovie.com

Wonder why they've not made the online Demo game up yet? :(

J_Migoe
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:52 PM
i just wanna watch the fight scenes and see what Alexander was like!!!

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:56 PM
and jake gyllenhaal :hearts:

and my favorite cinematographer [the same one doing alexander] is doing the movie... so im all sorts of excited :)
No, Jake turned it down and pass the role to someone else.

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:56 PM
By the way, Heath Ledger took the role for his character which is good for him! :p

M2k
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:51 PM
No, Jake turned it down and pass the role to someone else.
---> :confused:

He DID the movie. Here's what Jake said (when describing a kissing scene) according to the Elle magazine:

"Heath almost broke my nose in that scene" Gyllenhaal says, laughing. "I mean, he's so happy to see me. The great thing was that we decided - well, he grabs me and he slams me up against the wall and kisses me. And then I grab him and I slam him up against the wall and I kiss him. And we were doing take after take after take" Gyllenhaal grins. "I got the sh*t beat out of me," he says.

*I think he's talking about the scene when they both meet at Enni's house*

Svennovitch
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:57 PM
i just wanna watch the fight scenes and see what Alexander was like!!!Me too. I really want to learn more about the live of this hero, Alexander, and about that period in history. It seems like a very interesting time to have lived in.

I just hope the movie gives us an idea of that. And not just a Hollywood interpretation of history...

J_Migoe
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:42 AM
I feel you Svennovitch.

Indeed, I hope Hollywood doesn't muck up the story!!!

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:14 PM
---> :confused:

He DID the movie. Here's what Jake said (when describing a kissing scene) according to the Elle magazine:

"Heath almost broke my nose in that scene" Gyllenhaal says, laughing. "I mean, he's so happy to see me. The great thing was that we decided - well, he grabs me and he slams me up against the wall and kisses me. And then I grab him and I slam him up against the wall and I kiss him. And we were doing take after take after take" Gyllenhaal grins. "I got the sh*t beat out of me," he says.

*I think he's talking about the scene when they both meet at Enni's house*
Umm, never mind. I saw a picture with Heath and some guy in naked for running to the cliff for jumping into the water. Maybe that was Heath's character's other friend or cheated affair :p HAHAHA! :lol:

Kesalauantait
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:03 PM
I believe that other person was Jake's butt double, because Jake didn't want to show his naked butt (no joke).

Bacardi
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:49 PM
*bump* And some exclusive pics ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/bolty13gal/angelinaolympias.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/bolty13gal/angelinaolympias2.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/bolty13gal/angelinaolympias3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/bolty13gal/angelinaolympias4.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/bolty13gal/angelinaolympias5.jpg

Barrie_Dude
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:53 PM
You'd see anything that Agelina was involved, Dani! Good, bad or otherwise

Bacardi
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:58 PM
You'd see anything that Agelina was involved, Dani! Good, bad or otherwise

You know it! ;) That's why I saw Sky Captain 3x's and Shark Tale twice. :ras:

M2k
Nov 20th, 2004, 07:40 AM
from the advocate:

Angry Greeks deny Alexander the Great was bisexual

A group of Greek lawyers is threatening to sue Warner Bros. film studios and Oliver Stone, director of the widely anticipated film Alexander, for suggesting that Alexander the Great was bisexual. The lawyers have already sent an extrajudicial note to the studio and director demanding they include a reference in the title credits saying his movie is a fictional tale and not based on official documents of the life of the Macedonian ruler. "We are not saying that we are against gays, but we are saying that the production company should make it clear to the audience that this film is pure fiction and not a true depiction of the life of Alexander," Yannis Varnakos, who spearheads the campaign by 25 lawyers, said.

Stone was quoted on MSNBC.com as telling the upcoming edition of Playboy magazine that the film's depiction of Alexander could offend some. "We go into his bisexuality. It may offend some people, but sexuality in those days was a different thing," he was quoted as saying. While the film, starring Colin Farrell and Angelina Jolie, will be released on November 24, Varnakos said he has already gathered enough information regarding the content of the movie to suggest there are "inappropriate references." "We have not seen the film, but from the information we have already, there are references to his alleged homosexuality, a fact that is in no historical document or archive on Alexander," he said. "Either they make it clear that this is a work of fiction, or we will take the case further."

This is not the first time Greeks have been angered by suggestions Alexander was homosexual and had affairs with young men. Two years ago hundreds of northern Greeks from the province of Macedonia, where he was born, stormed an archeological symposium after one speaker presented a paper on the homosexuality of Alexander. Police were called in to evacuate the participants. One of the greatest military leaders of all time, Alexander, who was never defeated in battle, conquered about 90% of the then-known world before his mysterious death at the age of 32, building an empire that stretched from the Mediterranean to Afghanistan. Varnakaos said that although Stone has the right to freely express himself, the audience should have the right to know. "We cannot come out and say that [former U.S.] president John F. Kennedy was a shooting guard for the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team, and so Warner cannot come out and say Alexander was gay," Varnakos said.

:o <---- what a bunch of idiots.

Bacardi
Nov 20th, 2004, 05:09 PM
How can they sue over something like that :confused:

I'm sure he was bisexual, because most men in the ancient world were brought up believing mens bodies where a thing of beauty. It's quite normal. The fact they are trying to deny their history makes them sound like a bunch of looney homophobes. I wonder if somewhere Chris Chelios is behind this? :mad:

How did Alexander die anyway? I know his dear friend fell ill, and shortly after that Alexander himself fell ill. I always wondered what it was that they died from? Oh well, I just wonder if this film covers from the beginning to the very end?

M2k
Nov 21st, 2004, 05:46 PM
How can they sue over something like that :confused:

I'm sure he was bisexual, because most men in the ancient world were brought up believing mens bodies where a thing of beauty. It's quite normal. The fact they are trying to deny their history makes them sound like a bunch of looney homophobes. I wonder if somewhere Chris Chelios is behind this? :mad:

?

It's quite sad that a lot of people are trying to deny history because it doesn't go well with their religious beliefs. ---> :rolleyes: "Alexander" is a three hour epic and it's quite sad that people might not go see it ONLY because there might be a hint of homosexuality (cuz' pretty much every open/graphic m/m scene was deleted from the final cut). Oliver Stone, who was heavily advised/pressured not to include homosexual behavior in his movie when filming, stuck to his guns and when with it anyway. I don't think people realize the monumental effort it took to make this happen. And with a cost of 200+ million, which is a huge risk given what this film had in content:eek: at first, Alexander might be a disaster at the box office and a joy for the homophobes.
*that's why I think this film is more important in more ways than the upcoming "Brokeback Mountain" or other movies that touched homo/bi subjects this year like "kinsey," "A Home at the End of the World," (another Colin film btw), or "Latter Days".

btw, going out of topic... can I say how little respect I have for the makers of "Troy" and Brad Pitt?? "Troy" didn't present Achilles as a BISEXUAL man:confused: even though Achilles' great love was Patroklos not Helen --->:tape: !!

Bacardi
Nov 21st, 2004, 06:33 PM
Great post M2k. You speak the truth, sadly in today's times, there is a clear division between those of us that are open minded in the USA, and those that are still living in the 17th century. I'll go see it, I actually might be taking a few of my family to see it during Thanksgiving if I enjoy it when I see it Wednesday.

How they can say, when it was clearly documented even by the bible that during the time of Alexander and many other famous Greeks/etc homosexualty was not looked down on. In fact it was common place for a man to take another man lover even if he had a wife. However, you know how these Bible thumpers are (that outnumber us) here in the US, they won't go see anything... Unless it's Mel Gibson's 'The Passions'. :rolleyes:

Bacardi
Nov 21st, 2004, 06:34 PM
Also, has anyone see the Making of Alexander Book out yet? I looked for it a few days ago at Books a Million and didn't see it anywhere. I really want to get it for Christmas. I heard it's got some lovely photographs in it.

apoet29
Nov 21st, 2004, 08:15 PM
I saw Alexander last Thursday night. The Student Activities Board at Marshall held a special screening of the film at a theater downtime. The film was incredible and Angie's performance should get her another Oscar nod. I did have one big problem though: the crowd I saw the film with was so fucking immature! At every hint of a relationship between Alexander and his lover, the crowd started laughing and when Hes died, the crowd roared like it was the funniest thing they ever saw. I was deeply hurt by this, because these idiots (mostly young college students) didn't have a clue that what they were seeing was a deeply intimate relationship that most people only dream of having. Instead they let their homophobia and ignorance get in the way of it. This episode really highlighted for me what my father has been saying to me for years: that West Virginia was no place for me and that it was time to get out. Don't get me wrong. I love my homestate and I love the people I work with, but I hate the conservative Christian bullshit that seems to be par for the course around here. My father is right. It is time to get out of here.

I hope that the rest of us who will see this film will have a better experience than I did.

Bacardi
Nov 21st, 2004, 08:41 PM
You live in West Virginia? I didn't know that, I'm just to the south of you in VA. Which part of WVA are you in?

I'll go see it on Wednesday when it opens here. I'll probably go see it in KY, as there is a theatre that should have it that day that's only a 25 min drive for me. I doubt a lot of people go see it, and that should be a good thing. When I went to see Sharks Tale there was so many people and kids talking I couldn't hear it :mad: I prefer to go see movies with little to nobody in there. Hopefully those homophobes in KY won't even go see an artsy flim, as unless it's about gun fighting indians and cowboys they won't go near a historical piece. :haha: ;)

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be there probably opening day, at the first showing of the day (1pm). Lookin forward to it :yeah: :woohoo: :bounce:

BTW Tonight on Discovery is a special on Alexander. Also I'm curious about the game you can download a demo of on the website, last I checked, yesterday, it wasn't up yet. :( I wonder if it's going to be PS2 or what?

M2k
Nov 21st, 2004, 09:59 PM
I saw Alexander last Thursday night. The Student Activities Board at Marshall held a special screening of the film at a theater downtime. The film was incredible and Angie's performance should get her another Oscar nod. I did have one big problem though: the crowd I saw the film with was so fucking immature! At every hint of a relationship between Alexander and his lover, the crowd started laughing and when Hes died, the crowd roared like it was the funniest thing they ever saw. I was deeply hurt by this, because these idiots (mostly young college students) didn't have a clue that what they were seeing was a deeply intimate relationship that most people only dream of having. Instead they let their homophobia and ignorance get in the way of it.

I hope that the rest of us who will see this film will have a better experience than I did.
eek! I'm sorry to hear that.
---> Here in California people have had similar experiences durin early screenings of Alexander :unsure: hopefully there won't be none of that when I go Wednesday. Unfortunately *homophobia* is very present in our society, and just like Bacardy said, there are those of us who are open enough to give this film a chance, but we're more a minority I'm afraid.

btw Bacardy, that book sounds interesting. I might go buy it after I see the film. Tell us about the Alexander special if you get to see it ;) It's too bad I don't have cable anymore :banghead:

M2k
Nov 21st, 2004, 10:21 PM
Great post M2k. You speak the truth, sadly in today's times, there is a clear division between those of us that are open minded in the USA, and those that are still living in the 17th century. I'll go see it, I actually might be taking a few of my family to see it during Thanksgiving if I enjoy it when I see it Wednesday.

How they can say, when it was clearly documented even by the bible that during the time of Alexander and many other famous Greeks/etc homosexualty was not looked down on. In fact it was common place for a man to take another man lover even if he had a wife. However, you know how these Bible thumpers are (that outnumber us) here in the US, they won't go see anything... Unless it's Mel Gibson's 'The Passions'. :rolleyes:I completely agree!

...and all the hype surrounding the "The Passion" was so wrong...on so many levels :o

btw...The bible is full of contradictions...and there is something that always captured my curiosity, didn't David wrote a poem in honor of Jahnathan? something to the effect of --->

http://www.suphawut.com/gvb/venomously/images/quote_open.gif...thy love for me was wonderful,
Surpassing the love of women...http://www.suphawut.com/gvb/venomously/images/quote_close.gif

Oiii! I would love one of those Bible Thumpers to explain what this means :devil:

Bacardi
Nov 21st, 2004, 10:51 PM
I completely agree!

...and all the hype surrounding the "The Passion" was so wrong...on so many levels :o

btw...The bible is full of contradictions...and there is something that always captured my curiosity, didn't David wrote a poem in honor of Jahnathan? something to the effect of --->

http://www.suphawut.com/gvb/venomously/images/quote_open.gif...thy love for me was wonderful,
Surpassing the love of women...http://www.suphawut.com/gvb/venomously/images/quote_close.gif

Oiii! I would love one of those Bible Thumpers to explain what this means :devil:

:lol:
They'll never explain it, they just simply omit whatever shit they don't want to follow from it. Like the fact about divorces, working on Sundays, etc etc.

I got behind a gang of bible thumpers leaving from the local church today, they all had 'Bush Cheney '04' bumper stickers on their cars. I swear, I hope some of them get a nice wakeup call in HELL someday. :lol:

apoet29
Nov 21st, 2004, 11:03 PM
I'm in Huntington and work at Marshall University. I don't care what it takes, but I am out of here by next summer. It's not just an issue of the rampant homophobia or arch conservatism, it is an issue of working three jobs just to make a living, having no single men to date and wanting to get away from my family before they drive me crazy.

I am hoping to see Alexander again next week when it comes into wide release. Maybe I should go during a week night when the homophobic idiots will be at home or at church.

I am disappointed to hear that happening in California. I guess idiots are everywhere.

M2k
Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:51 AM
I got behind a gang of bible thumpers leaving from the local church today, they all had 'Bush Cheney '04' bumper stickers on their cars.

ugh! which reminds me
:tape: The lady across the street still has her "Bush/Cheney:Election 2004" signs:tape:
It's like poison to my eyes!!!! :lol:

M2k
Nov 22nd, 2004, 02:12 AM
I'm in Huntington and work at Marshall University. I don't care what it takes, but I am out of here by next summer. It's not just an issue of the rampant homophobia or arch conservatism, it is an issue of working three jobs just to make a living, having no single men to date and wanting to get away from my family before they drive me crazy.

I am hoping to see Alexander again next week when it comes into wide release. Maybe I should go during a week night when the homophobic idiots will be at home or at church.

I am disappointed to hear that happening in California. I guess idiots are everywhere.

apoet29... you poor thing :p Here in California (kern County to be more exact) things are not that good either. Arnold knows shit about nothing but sure loves to increase our taxes. before I got injured, I was working two jobs and barely made it through the month. :sobbing:

btw, I'm thinking of going to the first show Wednesday morning , less college frat boys and the like I would assume. I really want to see this film in tranquility.

Bacardi
Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:18 AM
ugh! which reminds me
:tape: The lady across the street still has her "Bush/Cheney:Election 2004" signs:tape:
It's like poison to my eyes!!!! :lol:

Just do what I done, middle of the night, when the bible thumpers are sleeping soundly, rush into their yard, steal them, and rip them into a thousand pieces. Nothing's funnier than to wake up early the next day and hear them out pissing and moaning about how they have to pick up the pieces.

I still key cars that have Bush/Cheney on them. Today I followed one completely out of the way just to put a nice scratch down the front and rip the sticker off. :devil:

Bacardi
Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:19 AM
apoet29... you poor thing :p Here in California (kern County to be more exact) things are not that good either. Arnold knows shit about nothing but sure loves to increase our taxes. before I got injured, I was working two jobs and barely made it through the month. :sobbing:

btw, I'm thinking of going to the first show Wednesday morning , less college frat boys and the like I would assume. I really want to see this film in tranquility.

:lol: Look out, the Repubs are trying to get Arnold to run for president. Let's see, they want to amend the Constitution to ban homosexuality, and add the ability for a foreigner to become President. Ah yes, what a way to doom the US to hell.... the sooner the better I might add.

The sad part is, a majority of people will vote for Arnold because they like the lines "I'll Be Back" :rolleyes:

M2k
Nov 23rd, 2004, 08:06 AM
Just do what I done, middle of the night, when the bible thumpers are sleeping soundly, rush into their yard, steal them, and rip them into a thousand pieces. Nothing's funnier than to wake up early the next day and hear them out pissing and moaning about how they have to pick up the pieces.

I still key cars that have Bush/Cheney on them. Today I followed one completely out of the way just to put a nice scratch down the front and rip the sticker off. :devil:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/EVILLE1.gif lol I actually think I'm very capable of doing something like that.http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/EVILLE1.gif

As for Arnold :rolleyes: California is going down the toilet anyway. Forest fires, people losing their jobs, education funds very short, floods, valley fever, the upcoming tax increases (the working class is taking another hit :tape: ) ..etc. etc. this is what the local newspaper says in bold letters:

"Agencies stunned by state tax deal" after reading the article I had to laugh... I mean it can't get any worse, right? :lol:

Anyway, on to more positive things, here is a good Jared Leto interview from OUT magazine, he talks about his role in Alexander and other stuff. I have to admit that Jared is kind of growing on me...

(it's abit long and the writter seems to day dream alot, but Jared gives some some interesting quotes )

Jared Leto || Press
Warrior Love
Source: Out Magazine
Article By: Degen Pener
Transcribed By: Jared Leto Media (http://www.jaredletomedia.com/)
Date: September 2004

Jared Leto has never shied away from taking chances. And he continues his streak as best friend - and bedmate - to Colin Farrell’s conqueror in this fall’s epic film Alexander.

Jared Leto has just flicked my left nipple. The two of us are sitting in a breakfast joint in Hollywood not far from the house he rents. We've been talking for two hours, and occasionally he has touched my arm or leg in order to emphasize a point. He has now progressed to poking at me for similar effect. I think he meant to simply flick my chest, but Leto’s aim is dead-on. The actor raises his hand and extends his arm, and the tip of his index finger connects directly with that little, unseen spot on my pectoral muscle.

More than a bit surprised, I tell Leto what he just did. He responds without missing a beat: “I know I’m gay. I must be gay. I f***ing flicked your nipple.”

Jared Leto is not gay and not about to come out of the closet, but it sure amuses him to affect that he might be. Perhaps we’re at the point where male cover-boy actors in Hollywood can play-act at being gay - for fun and titillation and appeal and attention - just like the ladies (think Britney and Madonna) do. It certainly seems that way today. At one other point in our conversation he winks at me with one of his rounded, steely blue eyes and jokes that he may not totally understand the nuance of every gay issue because “I’m only half gay.” Indeed, when it comes to discussing gay sexuality, Leto is more than open and comfortable: He’s often ribald and even quite a bit cocky. “I've always had an understanding and a connection and a good relationship with gay men and women. And I don’t want to censor myself about the f***ing subject because I don't have a problem with gay or straight or any of that,” says Leto, who is laxly lounging on a sofa in a booth at the restaurant.

Leto - who in the past has been noted for sporting blue nail polish - is wearing a tight “wife beater” and a pair of low-slung black pants. The gap between the two well-worn garments shows off an inch or two of flesh at his midriff, and from behind, when he is standing, a little bit of backside is visible too. Trim as a clothespin, he seems to care as much about covering up his tight V-shaped body as he worries about watching what he says. Unlike many stars, this is an actor who’s isn't preoccupied every second with guarding his image.

If he were, he might not have been in his new movie due out November 5, Alexander in which he stars as Hephaestion, the best friend, confidant, general, and (likely) lover of Alexander the Great, played by Colin Farrell. Directed by Oliver Stone, the $100 million film - while focusing mostly on the Macedonian king’s battlefield conquests - explicitly portrays its hero enjoying the sexual pleasures of both men and women. “It’s not a gay film. It’s a film for everybody, but hats off to Oliver. It's very, very brave. He's committed to showing all sides of Alexander,” says Leto. “There’s no pussyfooting around and walking on eggshells.” According to Leto, Farrell as Alexander gets it on with Queen Roxane - played by the beautiful Rosario Dawson - and shags Bagoas, the eunuch made famous by Mary Renault's 1972 homoerotic novel The Persian Boy. (Bagoas is played by unknown newcomer Francisco Bosch, a dancer with the English National Ballet.)

“Colin was really great and carefree with all of it,” says Leto, sitting up, his posture ramrod straight now that his egg-and-cheese scramble has arrived. “Alexander was the guy who one moment is with Bagoas and the next moment he’s with the barbarian queen [Roxane] and they are f***ing up a stairwell.”

That's progress. This is a "swords and sandals" movie, after all - that Hollywood genre that has had perhaps the most opportunity to highlight the ubiquity of man-on-man action in antiquity and has, consequently, worked for decades to deny gays' existence. Even this year's big budget spectacle Troy conveniently turned Brad Pitt's buff Achilles and fellow blonde boy toy Patroclus into just cousins, and not even kissing ones.

Sure, 1960's Spartacus offered up a few crumbs of implication. But just eight years later, in a TV movie starring William Shatner as Alexander, Hephaestion - the single most important man in the conqueror's life - didn't even show up as a character. "Hollywood has been so skittish about showing Alexander and Hephaestion as anything more than best buds," says Jeanne Reames-Zimmerman, assistant professor of history at the University of Nebraska at Omaha and a specialist in Macedonian history.

Unfortunately, the jury is still out on Stone's depiction of Alexander and Hephaestion's relationship. For starters, contrary to earlier rumors, there's no sex scene between Leto and Farrell - so much for some Greek active and passive role-playing acted out on the big screen by two of Hollywood's hottest guys. According to Leto, the script never contained a love scene between the pair. "Between Colin and I, there's nothing physical. We hold each other sometimes," says Leto, adding, "If there was [a sex scene], you better believe it would be the best sex scene you ever saw in your life. They could have never done another man-to-man scene after that. It would have been the quintessential f***fest of all time."

"Jared worked his ass off," enthuses Colin Farrell. "I worked with him very close for six months. He was always a joy."

But the actor doesn't see the lack of a love scene as an avoidance of the topic. Instead, he says the film makes it clear that these two men - brutal, deadly warriors, no less - who were also in love. [So does Farrell; see sidebar.] "It was the deepest love you can imagine," says Leto, his brow knitting a bit, as if he's focusing hard on the subject.

"Alexander and Hephaestion are two people that found someone else who completed them. I think gay men are going to understand the relationship the first time they see us together, whether there is sex or not." And what about straight audiences? He thinks they'll get it too, and if they were drawn to the movie simply because it's a big-budget action film, all the better. "Ultimately, I think it's more important to have people who might be uncomfortable walk out of the movie and go, 'Wow, they really had something special, something unique,' " says Leto, who recalls the advice given by Robin Lane Fox, the history consultant on the film and the author of the critically acclaimed 1973 biography Alexander The Great: "Remember every time you look at [Alexander]. it's always about love.

Alexander and Hephaestion undoubtedly would have approved of having their love idealized on-screen. "Alexander and Hephaestion grew up together, where the closest of friends, and were also, sexually, lovers," states Fox. "Their friendship from boyhood lasted for more than 15 years, perhaps outlasting any sexual element. It was plainly not just a sexual passion. Alexander loved Hephaestion exceptionally, to the end of their lives. Oliver Stone's film understands [their relationship] well."

For the record, there's no categorical evidence that Alexander and Hephaestion had a sexual relationship. But historians have for centuries assumed and inferred the two did, at least as youths. "The circumstantial evidence is highly suggestive," says Reames-Zimmerman. As even one Roman author, Aelian, once wrote, 'Alexander was only defeated once, and that was by Hephaestion's thighs." Quite an image, but certainly nothing that would begin to faze Leto, who admits that he and other cast members even got down to discussing just which sexual role Alexander might have taken. Was it possible that the warrior king was the ultimate power bottom? "We did talk about that," says Leto, "You know, Alexander takes the world... he might need someone to take him. You never know."

Leto, who has just finished his breakfast, insists on paying for the meal. "Since it's our first date, I gotta take you out," he teases. Standing out on the street in the harsh Los Angeles summer sunshine, Leto agrees to talk some more at a nearby coffee shop. When the questions turn from the film to his personal life, however, the actor turns remarkably less voluble. It's as if some filter has clamped down that allows him to utter only cryptic, clichéd, or vague answers. According to previous stories about him, he was born in Bossier, La., but didn't live there or anywhere for long. His absentee father, he has maintained, was a convict. His mom is an artist and used to be a circus performer and trapeze artist. Among the places he and his brother Shannon (a year and a half his senior) lived as children were New York, California, Florida, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Alaska, Wyoming, Haiti, and Washington D.C. At one point the family - "food-stamp poor," Leto said - settled in a commune in Colorado. "You just learn that home is where the heart is," he tells me.

Later, when Leto was a teenager, the family ended up in Virginia, where he worked as a dishwasher and as a nightclub doorman. "It was just where life kind of led us. It was just opportunities," he says over a cup of hot tea. Trying to follow that up, I ask him if his mom was always searching for new opportunities. "You're gonna have to talk to her about that," he says with a cagey laugh. "And she's very hard to get in touch with." One thing Leto will tell you is that gay people were a part of his mother's circle of friends when he was a kid. "I grew up around a lot of artists and liberal-minded people. I was never very sheltered," says Leto, who recalls chatting about homosexuality when he was about 17 with a gay friend of the family. "I was asking him, 'What's the deal? And he goes, 'Look, it's not the sex. It's about wanting to love another man.' So maybe my comments about [the movie] - about it being more important that it's about these men's love for each other - stem from that."

Early on Leto was interested in painting, not acting; he studied for a time at Philadelphia's University of the Arts. Later he shifted course and became interested in making movies, enrolling at the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan. But by age 22 he had migrated west to Los Angeles and, with virtually no experience, landed the part of Jordan Catalano, Claire Danes's love interest on the cult TV show My So-Called Life. Since then, however, Leto has taken pains to shed his early teen-heartthrob image. "He takes his acting work very seriously, and he takes chances," Farrell points out, noting his co-star's turns in edgy fare as Black and White, American Psycho, Panic Room, and Fight Club. "Look at the roles he's done." And rather simply trade on his good looks, he has at times taken roles that literally wear away at them. In his best role to date, playing junkie Harry Goldfarb in the 2000 film Requiem For A Dream, Leto lost so much weight - 25 pounds off his already thin frame - that he was an eyesore of skin and bones. As one writer put it, "Leto is a character actor trapped in a candy coating of genetic perfection." That sort of recognition makes him proud. "You have to earn it," he says. "That's something that I have to strive for: to be part of things that are good and have some dignity to them. I don't want to feel cheap, you know."

To that end, he also refuses to cheapen his romantic life by discussing it publicly. During the four years, 1999-2003, that he dated actress Cameron Diaz, he never talked about her in the press. "I've had one girlfriend my entire life" is all he'll say today, without naming her. And despite reports in early summer linking him with Lost In Translation star Scarlett Johansson, he claims he's currently single. Leto does admit he doesn't have a type. "I'm attracted to so many different types of women. I'm an equal opportunity employer," he says. But the same doesn't apply to men. "I've never had that feeling of attraction that I have with women," he says. "But if I saw a man and I was attracted... I would probably follow through with it. Of course, that's easy for me to say now. If it happened, maybe it would be a confusing and difficult thing, considering the world that we live in."

But Leto's insouciant attitude - not giving a damn whether someone misinterprets his jokes and thinks he's really gay - is a sign that the world is changing a bit. Before he leaves, Leto can't resist indulging in just a little more suggestive banter, he is aware that guys check him out occasionally, so when that happens, he simply ignores the attention and figures that gay men pick up on the fact that he's straight. "But," he says with a flirtatious laugh and a devilish grin, "maybe there's always that chance!" In a few minutes he gets up to say good-bye. Unexpectedly, he gives me a hug. And he tops it off with a classic straight-guy pat on the back.

Colin Farrell [insert]
Article By: Jeffrey Epstein

In his personal life, Colin Farrell may live up to his bad-boy reputation. But as an actor Farrell continues to choose thoughtful roles over fluff. Take his turn this past summer as part of an unusual threesome in A Home At The End Of The World. And while Alexander may be a multimillion-dollar epic, the character is hardly one-dimensional. Farrell called to talk to us about Alexander from Cape Town, South Africa where he's filming Ask The Dust.

How would you describe the nature of the relationship between Alexander and Hephaestion?
They're best friends from a very early age. I was very open to the possibility [that they were lovers].They were very much soul mates. He was someone who Alexander trusted implicitly. He's someone who he very much needed to keep his feet on the ground because his head was in the clouds a lot of the time. When Hephaestion dies at the end of the film, it's pretty much all downhill for Alexander after that.

Even though you don't have a love scene, how did you convey their relationship was more than just friendship?
As simple as [the line] "Stay with me tonight." Four words. History books say they were lovers, and I believe them. You'll probably get the f***ing vibe unless you're blind and deaf.

Troy desexualized the relationship between its two lead male characters, who, according to the original story, were lovers. Do you think this could happen with Alexander?
Alexander and Hephaestion model themselves on Patroclus and Achilles. Oliver is an artist. The best thing he can do is not please the masses - have the integrity to please yourself. If you compromise, you can't reflect that you had the purity to tell the story you believed in.

<A href="javascript: history.go(-1)">

Bacardi
Nov 24th, 2004, 01:01 AM
:mad: :fiery: It doesn't look like I'm going to get to see this until Friday at the earliest. :fiery: :mad:

Unless I want to drive like 2 hours in holiday traffic :smash:

Thanks for the article M2k it's good, I liked the "As simple as [the line] "Stay with me tonight." Four words. History books say they were lovers, and I believe them. You'll probably get the f***ing vibe unless you're blind and deaf." :lol: :yeah:

M2k
Nov 24th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Today I woke up early to read some of the Alexander reviews, before I go to class, and some of them are rather on the negative side. :scared: They pretty much say what I thought it would happen: the MPAA and WB made more damage to this film by re-editing!! lol While I am sadden by this, and I'm still going to see it, it serves the WB right! They thought taking the homosexual aspect of this film would improve their chances at the box office :rolleyes: well guess what??? It still very gay, and now a very choppy film at best! :ras:

Here is what a critic said about Alexander:

In ancient times, we are told, powerful men often took men or boys as their lovers, reserving women for childbearing and suchlike. Alexander seems to be following that tradition to the extent that Stone (and perhaps the MPAA (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041123/REVIEWS/41105003#) production code) will permit it. Hephaistion doesn't even go through the motions of taking a wife; he is always there for Alexander -- but for what? They have looks like the beginning of a love scene before it fades out, and the rest of the time, they hug a lot.

As for Alexander's sex life with Roxane, it is not surprising but nevertheless worthy of notice that we see a great deal more of her body than Hephaistion's, and observe them during a sex scene that begins with her fighting him off and ends with them engaged in the kind of unbridled passion where you hope nobody gets hurt. All right, so they have great sex -- once. Then we learn that three years pass, and she provides no male heir, although for all we see of them together, the fault may be Zeus'. It's clear enough that Alexander loves Hephaistion and has married Roxane as a political gesture. In that case it is a miscalculation by Stone to make Hephaistion into a pouting sideline figure who specializes in significant glances the significance of which the movie does not explore, while making Roxane into such an exciting hellion that we're disappointed Alexander doesn't let us spend more time with her, even if he doesn't want to. Dawson's Roxane is truly sexy, but Leto's Hephaistion is not allowed to be seen as a male beauty; he looks like a drag queen, with more eyeliner than Elizabeth Taylor (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/classifieds?category=search1&SearchType=1&q=Elizabeth%20Taylor&Class=%25&FromDate=19150101&ToDate=20041231) as Cleopatra. If Stone is not willing to make Hephaistion at least potentially as erotic a character as Roxane, he is not really engaging the logic of the story.

:lol:

M2k
Nov 24th, 2004, 05:02 PM
:mad: :fiery: It doesn't look like I'm going to get to see this until Friday at the earliest. :fiery: :mad:

Unless I want to drive like 2 hours in holiday traffic :smash:

Thanks for the article M2k it's good, I liked the "As simple as [the line] "Stay with me tonight." Four words. History books say they were lovers, and I believe them. You'll probably get the f***ing vibe unless you're blind and deaf." :lol: :yeah:
lol

Well it seems like I'll be first to watch it! :p I hope i like it, I really want to like this movie, thought I'm not going with very high expectations just in case.

Cybelle Darkholme
Nov 24th, 2004, 05:26 PM
He was bisexual.;) And I think they have cut most of the gay love scenes. Yes neo-conservative repressive gay hating bastards strike again! well hollywood some of us heteros would like to see Colin and Jared get naked horizontally and do the hokie pokie so we can imagine ourselves inbetween the two.

thanks for ruining the movie because i'm sure its going to be a scene chewing extravanganza.

alias
Nov 24th, 2004, 06:13 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alexander/

17% rating by rotten tomatoes. eek! I'll still see it. I hope it's not as bad as Troy.

Bacardi
Nov 24th, 2004, 10:21 PM
I saw it, I drove an hour there and an hour back in holiday traffic and sat there for nearly 3 hours watching. I have one thing to say, Colin's performance I didn't exactly care for. You could hear his Irish accent coming thru in certain scenes rather strongly. Jared Leto, he had a rather strong performance althou not a rather large role. Also, can anyone else confirm or was I just seeing things, at a certain scene in the movie when Alexander (Colin) strips down, do you see his :tape: Because it seems like I saw a shadowed version of it, when he took off his clothes and climbed into bed I think wanting his male servent to join him.

Even thou everyone's going to think I'm saying this only because I like her, but I thought the best performance of the entire movie was Angelina's. She was convincing. I didn't exactly like her strange accent, but she seemed to really get in touch with the character. I hope this earns her another Oscar nod. :)

BTW, when the homosexual things went on, all I heard was giggles and a gasp from an older woman behind me that got up and left afterwards. But I doubt there was more than 10 of us in there watching.

darren cahill
Nov 24th, 2004, 10:24 PM
at a certain scene in the movie when Alexander (Colin) strips down, do you see his :tape: Because it seems like I saw a shadowed

**leaving RIGHT NOW to go see the movie!**;)

Bacardi
Nov 24th, 2004, 10:28 PM
at a certain scene in the movie when Alexander (Colin) strips down, do you see his :tape: Because it seems like I saw a shadowed

**leaving RIGHT NOW to go see the movie!**;)

:lol: Darren, you won't see much of it, but you see it none the less. But pay CLOSE attention, you get the best view of his tight ass :drool: It was worth it! :worship:

Plus in a few scenes he's barefoot. ;)

darren cahill
Nov 24th, 2004, 10:36 PM
:lol: Darren, you won't see much of it, but you see it none the less. But pay CLOSE attention, you get the best view of his tight ass :drool: It was worth it! :worship:

Plus in a few scenes he's barefoot. ;)
Please dont lie to me! Is he really barefeets? god, i can barely type, cause you are making me tremble! and i havent even had a chance to pick up my heart medication and this is bound to send me over the edge in to heart attacks-ville

does anyone massage his feets in the movie? even if they dont, please say yes! :tape:

but he really is barefoot in it? i wonder if i can take my camera in? (just joking!)

i wish nate could go with me...this would be classic, my friends that are going with me are going more for the show i am bound to put on! i told them they are welcome to come along but i cant and wont promise not to embarrass

Bacardi
Nov 24th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Please dont lie to me! Is he really barefeets? god, i can barely type, cause you are making me tremble! and i havent even had a chance to pick up my heart medication and this is bound to send me over the edge in to heart attacks-ville

does anyone massage his feets in the movie? even if they dont, please say yes! :tape:

but he really is barefoot in it? i wonder if i can take my camera in? (just joking!)

i wish nate could go with me...this would be classic, my friends that are going with me are going more for the show i am bound to put on! i told them they are welcome to come along but i cant and wont promise not to embarrass

Awwww, don't have a heart attack :sad: But in the end, I know quite well when he's wearing the like white linen suit and the long blonde locks you can see his bare feet. :)

No foot massaging scenes, but if you used your imagination long enough ;)

If you take the camera in, get some shots of Angelina for me :hearts: I LOVE HER!!! Also get some shots of Colin's manhood so we can make a WTAworld thread dedicated to it.

Just don't get yourself thrown out of the theatre. :kiss:

darren cahill
Nov 24th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Awwww, don't have a heart attack :sad: But in the end, I know quite well when he's wearing the like white linen suit and the long blonde locks you can see his bare feet. :)

No foot massaging scenes, but if you used your imagination long enough ;)

If you take the camera in, get some shots of Angelina for me :hearts: I LOVE HER!!! Also get some shots of Colin's manhood so we can make a WTAworld thread dedicated to it.

Just don't get yourself thrown out of the theatre. :kiss:
i'm sure i will gasp or something at least 3 or 4 times!

wow, colin in a white line suit, blonde hair and barefeetS???? someone has been piping into my dreams at night! i do love a blonde colin, i also love, him dark haired, also bald isnt bad...blah blah!

sure, i'll take some of Angie too...i love her as well...shes one of the few women i would love to ...you know....a colin/angelina sandwich isnt a horrible thought....plus she looks even better now than before...she gets more lovely every time i see her.

the cast of this movie was on the view today...i taped it to watch later...

must run, out to the movie in about an hour.

**nervous about the feets:tape: **

i know i gasped once in the Recruit...he showed his dawgs a few times in that movie!

Bacardi
Nov 25th, 2004, 05:55 AM
So you like Angie too, then how did you like that mother/son kiss between her and Colin. Oh damn that's my 3some dream right there, I'd resort to being bisexual again for a piece of him. :devil:

Hope you liked it! :D

M2k
Nov 25th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Well it's been several hours since I saw the film and still don't know how I feel about it.:confused: First of all I have to say some of the audience members were booing the film :eek: the scenes with Bagoas !!! :eek: I didn't enjoy the movie as I wished I could have, and to be honest, like apoet29 said, my feeling were rather hurt by some of the things I heard :bigcry: lol but anyway, here's what stayed with me...

Val about to do the nasty with his eunuch ewwwww! :scared:

Angelina was rather good as Olympias, and dare I say better than Colin in all their scenes together. (I could have done without her snake though)

Rosario is one of the most beautiful latinas I have ever seen :hearts: but her sex scene should have been Hephastion's. :hehehe:

I thought Colin played a very human Alexander, very tormented and emotional. I thought it was a very fresh angle the way he presented the "HERO" of the movie. I like when the heroes are humanized. Alexander conquered 70-80% of the known world, but was also a very tormented man. Many historians have said that he suffer from, what we may call today, episodes of manic-depression.

Hephastion (Jared) I thought his character was under developed or probably chopped at the cutting room.:tape: The scene when he's about to die was rather romantic in a melancholic kind of way. The pain in Colin's eyes when Hephastion dies is very telling of the love he had for his friend, probably the person he loved the most and why he went insane after he felt himself alone. On the other hand, this is one of the aspects why this movie bombs, you know the makers are hinting that they were lovers, but for some absurd reason they restrain themselves from being more open about it. It just makes this angle of the film unfinished and unreal. One thing is worth noting though, I don't know if it was that "unfinished" quality to their possible love story, but I think the audience was pulling for Hephastion at the end. When Jared is dying people were very quiet and the guy in front of me said "isn't he going to kiss him?" (and this is coming from the little section that was boing left and right earlier in the film) ...now what I ask myself...is this what Oliver was trying to say in his interview with Roger Ebert?

Bagoas, I'm still very bitter that his dancing scenes were booed :fiery: , but I was pleasantly surprised that his character was very true to the book "The Persian Boy" (to anyone who hasn't read this book, this is the story of Alexander through the eyes of his eunuch Bagoas. It's consider a classic. One of the most beautiful narrative books there is"

All in all this is a very artistic movie, a bit choppy for a three hour film, but this is probably the kind of film that it will take time (probably years) before it gets it's deserved recognition. Something similar to what happen to Space Odessy:2001, which was killed by critics and hated by the public when it first came out and now is consider an important film.

Bacardi
Nov 25th, 2004, 05:47 PM
I too got angered by the lack of affection they allowed to be seen between Alexander and Hephastion. If anything, on Alexander's wedding night when Hephastion presented him with the ring, warrented a kiss. There was an embrace, and possibly a kiss there, just before Alexanders new bride walked in quite angerly. Also the death scene at the end, lacked a passionate kiss, and I felt it deserved one last dying kiss. Oliver tried to please the homophobes and WB too much with this one. I bet the scenes that are somewhere on the cutting room floor would have made this flick 100x's better. *Maybe this means the DVD, with the 'deleted scenes' will be much better.*

Angelina I still say, was the best actress, and did the most character work for the entire film. Althou her accent and all the snakes scared me.

Val Kilmer was just, NASTY and :scared:

M2k
Nov 25th, 2004, 11:41 PM
I too got angered by the lack of affection they allowed to be seen between Alexander and Hephastion. If anything, on Alexander's wedding night when Hephastion presented him with the ring, warrented a kiss. There was an embrace, and possibly a kiss there, just before Alexanders new bride walked in quite angerly. Also the death scene at the end, lacked a passionate kiss, and I felt it deserved one last dying kiss. Oliver tried to please the homophobes and WB too much with this one. I bet the scenes that are somewhere on the cutting room floor would have made this flick 100x's better. *Maybe this means the DVD, with the 'deleted scenes' will be much better.*

Angelina I still say, was the best actress, and did the most character work for the entire film. Althou her accent and all the snakes scared me.

Val Kilmer was just, NASTY and :scared:

I'm glad you agree with me... it's like they were doing circles around the Alex/Hephastion story and nothing was resolved!!!!! :shrug: Poor Jared, always loyal but never kissed by Alexander. :sobbing: I hope we get to see more of them in the DVD version, and you are right! this would have been a better film had they not excluded the gay stuff.

Angelina should get award nominations for this role. I thought she was much much better than in "Girl Interrupted." She makes a really HOT mom and felt sorry for her when that ass Val was trying to rape her :shout:! What a perverse and disgusting man he was. I wished Angelina would have slapped him with one of her many snakes. :devil:

Bacardi
Nov 25th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Yes, Oliver really did a shit job on the love story between Alexander and Hephastion. That made me angry and sad. Either he himself didn't want to include it, or he done what any director never should, and listen to the stuido and critics. I did think that maybe the wedding night scene, that perhaps in that embrace that cut away to show his new wife coming in, that they could have kissed, but they certainly never showed it. I hope the DVD includes several things that were cut, and could have made the film better, if it doesn't, then I think Oliver Stone himself royally screwed up the film.

Angelina was the main star in this movie. Colin kept getting his Irish accent in there, and that really angered me. Angelina shined, she really prepared for this. I can almost forgive her for doing such films as Sky Captain and Shark Tale when I see this is what she focused her attention on. Val was a Nasty, old has been king. I wonder if Olympia did have something to do with his death? And also, seeing as how Alexander benefitted the most, I think maybe he had something to do with it? She should have just trained a snake to bite him. :lol: They did an OK job of aging her thruout the flim. Because you can tell in some scenes when she's gotten older.

It was rather sad to hear at the end his Empire was divided into 4 areas, and he never named someone to take over his throne. I wonder why his wife took so long to get pregnant? Even more sad was after his death, his 13yr old son and wife were poisoned by one of his noblemen, and also Olympias was killed 7 years after Alexander died. It was as if they wanted to wipe out his entire bloodline. :shrug:

M2k
Nov 26th, 2004, 12:31 AM
I think it was a bit of both... I think Oliver came with very good intentions but chiken out at the very end. Too bad really, it could have been a more honest film. Though for all it's faults it still ground breaking, and that can only be good.:)
Agree 100%. Angelina made this movie good, along with *gulp* Val (he was really good as an ass) :lol: If you read about Alexander, you'll noticed that his mother poisoned him against his father, though if the real Philips was such brute in real life I can see why. Plus it was no secret that Olympias wanted her beloved son to become king at any cost.
I don't know why Roxane took longer to get preggers (three years after I think) but if I remember well...one acount said that Alexander had order guards not to let Roxane get near his chambers two months after they married. :eek: Roxane was a very astute woman, I think she order kill Alexander's second wife after he died, but in the end she was killed as well.

Yes, Oliver really did a shit job on the love story between Alexander and Hephastion. That made me angry and sad. Either he himself didn't want to include it, or he done what any director never should, and listen to the stuido and critics. I did think that maybe the wedding night scene, that perhaps in that embrace that cut away to show his new wife coming in, that they could have kissed, but they certainly never showed it. I hope the DVD includes several things that were cut, and could have made the film better, if it doesn't, then I think Oliver Stone himself royally screwed up the film.

Angelina was the main star in this movie. Colin kept getting his Irish accent in there, and that really angered me. Angelina shined, she really prepared for this. I can almost forgive her for doing such films as Sky Captain and Shark Tale when I see this is what she focused her attention on. Val was a Nasty, old has been king. I wonder if Olympia did have something to do with his death? And also, seeing as how Alexander benefitted the most, I think maybe he had something to do with it? She should have just trained a snake to bite him. :lol: They did an OK job of aging her thruout the flim. Because you can tell in some scenes when she's gotten older.

It was rather sad to hear at the end his Empire was divided into 4 areas, and he never named someone to take over his throne. I wonder why his wife took so long to get pregnant? Even more sad was after his death, his 13yr old son and wife were poisoned by one of his noblemen, and also Olympias was killed 7 years after Alexander died. It was as if they wanted to wipe out his entire bloodline. :shrug:

SM
Nov 26th, 2004, 03:21 AM
just a question if anyone knows where this movie was filmed at??

Bacardi
Nov 26th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Probably true, oh well we should get a more clear story when the DVD comes out. As usually they are the directors idea and nothing to do with the production company.

I didn't know Roxane, wasn't allowed near his sleeping quarters for 2 months after their marriage. I guess that explains why it took so long. I also didn't know she ordered his second wife murdered. (In the movie Alexander hinted that she perhaps had Hephastion poisoned, it is possible she had a clear contempt for him.) I thought Alexander had 3 wives at the time of his death, and only Roxane had a child.... which was murdered at the age of 13. The movie also portrays Alexander as being poisoned when they really don't know what happened to him or Hephastion. I tend to think, they were such great lovers that after the death of his dearest friend he couldn't really find as much will to live.

M2k
Nov 26th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Probably true, oh well we should get a more clear story when the DVD comes out. As usually they are the directors idea and nothing to do with the production company.

I didn't know Roxane, wasn't allowed near his sleeping quarters for 2 months after their marriage. I guess that explains why it took so long. I also didn't know she ordered his second wife murdered. (In the movie Alexander hinted that she perhaps had Hephastion poisoned, it is possible she had a clear contempt for him.) I thought Alexander had 3 wives at the time of his death, and only Roxane had a child.... which was murdered at the age of 13. The movie also portrays Alexander as being poisoned when they really don't know what happened to him or Hephastion. I tend to think, they were such great lovers that after the death of his dearest friend he couldn't really find as much will to live.
Well...let's hope the DVD gives us little treasures for us to discover;)

My grandfather used to have a very good book about the ancient world, and that's where I learned about Alex the Great, I'm not an expert on him though. Now what I mean was that after their second month of marriage she was order not go near him. I'm sure he paid her visits from time to time to fullfil his role of husband and hopefully produce a child. All I know is that it took some time before she finally gave him a child, and after Alexander died, she had his second wife killed and a few other as well. Unfortunately, she suffered the same fate and was killed later on. Now my theory is that perhaps she did kill Hephastion, who knows, maybe she wanted to nock off her biggest competition..after all "Alexander was only defeated once, by Hephastion":devil: After his beloved friend died he pretty much lost his sanity and died. Kind of a tragic love story.

Now on to very sad news... Alexander barely scratches the four million mark in its opening day :sobbing: Poor Angie, two bombs in a row. I really hope it does better over the weekend. It's not such a bad movie. Plus it could show Hollywood that a Gay/Bi/Lesb topic doesn't necessarily mean box office poison.

SM: Hi Steven! this movie was filmed in Morocco, Thailand, and London. I hope I was of help.

Bacardi
Nov 26th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Two bombs in a row, I thought Shark Tale done pretty good. It was number 1 for 2 or 3 weekends in a row. Now Sky Captain she didn't have a big enough role in, and it was Number 1 for like one weekend. Taking Lives, was an OK movie, but it was easy to see from the start who the killer was so it was kinda :yawn: I don't know why she's not picking better films. I thought Alexander would be a SMASH on it's opening weekend, and also her upcoming movie with Brad Pitt should be a hit.

Bacardi
Nov 26th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Oh yes, last night on Charlie Rose I watched Colin, Angie and Oliver talking about the film. He says he didn't cut any scenes to please anyone but himself. Also Oliver has taken French Citizenship because he and Angie agreed that the only reason this movie was made was financial help from France and Germany. Plus they said America's pretty much going to shit, and our money is worth less than the Euro. :lol:

Also I don't know if it will come out before or after Mr & Mrs Smith but Angie's going to play Catherine the Great in 'Love and Honor'. Both should come out sometime in 2005. The latest news on either I have is that the Brad Pitt one comes out June 5, 2005. :)

M2k
Nov 26th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Sorry :oI meant "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" ...It cost around $$170 + - $200 mill and did (or is doing ) pretty poorly. It's barely covering its advertising cost (though I'm sure it will fare better in Europe and the rest of the world). This is actually a movie I'm kicking myself for not seeing, from the previews it looked a lot like "Metropolis," another SI-FI movie with a 30sh look to it.

The "Today" show run a little trailer of the Angie/Brad movie earlier this morning. :DI think Angelina was dancing to tango music from Carlos Gardel (??) somewhat similar to the movie "True Lies". "Love and Honor" is news to me though, these are the kind of roles she needs to keep getting and fit her so well I think! :worship:

Alexander was never going to do big in North America. Especially when it was clear that there was some homosexuality in the film, a big deal for a lot of people. :rolleyes:Add to that a two-hour plus length and a hero that seems to be very emotional and well...you get the idea... I do remember that Alexander was for the most part a European film and the WB paid around 60 -70 mill for the rights and advertisement, pushing its cost from $150 mill to 200+. I guess as long as this movie goes over the 70 million mark this movie will not be consider a loss for WB (??) As for Oliver, once the WB obtained the rights for this movie in North America, he lost pretty much any say on the movie. It was no secret the WB was asking for a re-editing way back in early Summer.
Btw there is this other WB film that came earlier this year with Colin playing *gasp* another Bisexual:drool: and this time he does kiss his male lead, and very tenderly I might add. Unfortunately, the WB did a very poor job in advertising and dumped the movie a few weeks after:rolleyes:

Bacardi
Nov 26th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Was that movie WB was also doing with Colin being bisexual the one that had such the uproar over Colin having full frontal nudity and it being cut due to being distracting? I however didn't know they dumped the movie, you mean now it's not being made or released at all, or is it a straight to DVD/Video sort of deal?

The Angie Brad flick will probably be OK, it might do well at the box office althou I don't think Brad Pitt has no where near the draw he once did (he's like 40 now). Angie as Catherine the Great will be awesome, if she prepares even half as well for it as she did for Olympias she's doing good. It's in pre-production at the moment.

Also, you know the director of Lenoardo Dicarprio in Romeo & Juliet, Baz Luhrmann is doing an 'Alexander the Great' due out in 2005. The main stars are Leonardo Dicaprio :rolleyes: and Nicole Kidman. I do however usually like Baz's films, but casting Leo as Alex, I'm not so sure it will work. But I do want to see The Aviator next month.

Madhuri
Nov 27th, 2004, 12:36 AM
I just saw it and will give a more detailed review later.

I continue to be impressed with the range of Colin Farrell. The women were the weak points. Angelina and Rosario's accents were bad to the point of distraction. I understand Oliver Stone purposely chose for Colin to keep his Irish accent. Anyone who has seen Colin's previous films will know that he is an ace with accents, especially American ones. Overall a good movie. I enjoyed the battle scenes.

darren cahill
Nov 27th, 2004, 01:08 AM
[QUOTE=Bacardi]Was that movie WB was also doing with Colin being bisexual the one that had such the uproar over Colin having full frontal nudity and it being cut due to being distracting? I however didn't know they dumped the movie, you mean now it's not being made or released at all, or is it a straight to DVD/Video sort of deal?

That movie you are asking about is called "a home at the end of the world" and was in fact released in theaters in the early summer and up until just a few weeks ago, was still out...its now on DVD...it was released by Warner Independent pictures...i dont think it was EVER intended to be a MAJOR release. this movie was an independant feature all along. But yes, it was the one that was re-edited after his COCK (:eek: ) was deemed too distracting! It was an incredible movie. Probably one of my all time faves. I saw it in the theaters a few weeks back and have the dvd now as well. A small, simple movie but with really lovely performances. Colin just absoultely slayed me with his performance. this movie is why i love him so much. i could go on and on about this film but i feel as though i have bored enough people with my mad ranting and ravings over it (no comment from you holly!:kiss: ;) )

by they way, i tried to go see Alexander friday night and it was sold out...it was showing on 3 theaters at our local multiplex....we would have waited around for one of the other 2 showings but one was over 1 hour from start time and the other one had just started so we would have missed a huge chunk. We ended up seeing Finding Neverland instead and what a tearjerker that was. lovely movie.

Tennis Fool
Nov 27th, 2004, 01:32 AM
So, I was looking forward to this film, like Troy, but because of the bad reviews nto sure I want to see it.

For those who saw it, what would you give it on a scale of 1 to 10, and would you recommend it?

Bacardi
Nov 27th, 2004, 07:23 AM
I can't wait to see this :banana:
http://www.themoviebox.net/media.php?subaction=showfull&id=1098508565
:drool:http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2005/IJKLM/Mr-and-Mrs-Smith/images/main.jpg:drool:

It's June 2005 thou :sad: Oh well, I have something to take my gf to see for her birthday that we'll both enjoy. ;)

Tochio
Nov 27th, 2004, 07:24 AM
I didn't watch it yet.
Maybe next week.

Bacardi
Nov 27th, 2004, 07:38 AM
:wavey: Tochio, make sure you have 3 hours. It's that long :) But it's a good film, well worth it. Especially if you can go there and miss those holiday crowds and relax for a few hours. :D

btw, just to let everyone know, that's the trailer to Mr & Mrs Smith (Brad Pitt and Angie movie) and the official website (www.mrandmrssmithmovie.com) isn't working yet :yawn:

M2k
Nov 27th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks Darren for clarifying. All I knew was that it only played for a couple of weeks and went straight to video. And this is the reason I love Colin too :hearts: when I was reading "A Home at the End of the World," I couldn't stop thinking of how Colin would played Bobby. He was AMAZING! I have the book, the DVD, and now only need the audio tapes, Colin reads his part of the book!!! One thing though, there is not "deleted scenes" section in the DVD:tape: I was soooooo looking forward for that :devil:

Bacardi, that's the movie I'm talking about :o though I wonder if it was all a shameless way to promote the movie. Is his dick that BIG ? (could it be? lol ) I know he did a nude scene in "Tigerland," but there was no buzz around that.
As for Leo playing Alexander ---> :eek: I'm spechless!! (and not in a good way) Poor Leo, maybe I should give him more credit, when I think of him I think of a cheesy drama. I can't help it.
Angelina looks better than ever! She looks great in her Tango dress :eek: but I don't think I can stomach Brad:fiery: *hate him with a passion* I'll be awaiting "Love and Honor" though. I'm a sucker for History~

Tennis Fool, Alexander is a very artistic film, much much better than Troy.

skanky~skanketta
Nov 27th, 2004, 05:08 PM
is colin farell really gonna kiss another guy on screen???the malaysian censorship board is definitely gonna cut that out.

PointBlank
Nov 27th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Im going to see it tonight..

Bacardi
Nov 27th, 2004, 06:47 PM
M2k, There's also a nude scene of Colin in Alexander. And honestly, I've seen bigger... I'd say it's around average *but it beats Brad Pitt's old pics in Playgirl*. I hate it when they don't include deleted scenes, that's part of the reason I like to buy the DVD. :ras:

Leo as Alex I just cannot see it. And Nicole Kidman I imagine is going to be Olympias... she'll never be even a quarter as good as Angie (I HATE Kidman). I'll go see Mr & Mrs Smith, after all I sat thru Sky Captain and Shark Tale.... SO I can sit thru this new one. Since it might be the only one coming out next year. Rumor is Love and Honor might not be out until early 2006, althou they might rush it for Oscars.

Madhuri
Nov 27th, 2004, 08:19 PM
There is no way Leo can top Colin as Alexander. Leo is not as good an acto IMHO and could not pull off the complexities of the character the way Colin did.

King Aaron
Nov 28th, 2004, 02:30 PM
is colin farell really gonna kiss another guy on screen???the malaysian censorship board is definitely gonna cut that out.
Watched it and you can say they did their usual censoring job. ;)

M2k
Dec 7th, 2004, 08:50 PM
M2k, There's also a nude scene of Colin in Alexander. And honestly, I've seen bigger... I'd say it's around average *but it beats Brad Pitt's old pics in Playgirl*. I hate it when they don't include deleted scenes, that's part of the reason I like to buy the DVD. :ras:

Leo as Alex I just cannot see it. And Nicole Kidman I imagine is going to be Olympias... she'll never be even a quarter as good as Angie (I HATE Kidman). I'll go see Mr & Mrs Smith, after all I sat thru Sky Captain and Shark Tale.... SO I can sit thru this new one. Since it might be the only one coming out next year. Rumor is Love and Honor might not be out until early 2006, althou they might rush it for Oscars.
pfff... I was wondering about this thread... where did it go on me!

Bacardi what I mean is that Tigerland has a really good shoot (or so they say)of Colin's you now what, Alexander's scenes where not so clear and somewhat rushed for my taste. lol btw Rosario's boobs were ohhhh my--> :eek:

Angelina will always be Olympias for me. I'm sure Kidman is a good actress( she was pretty good as Virginia Wade) but if I ever see the other "Alex" :rolleyes: I'll probably be too critical of Kidman and Leo. On another note Alex has made around 29 mill in the US :) It's not a huge hit but it's better than I thought. I hope "Brokeback Mountain" does better.

darren cahill
Dec 7th, 2004, 09:51 PM
pfff... I was wondering about this thread... where did it go on me!

Bacardi what I mean is that Tigerland has a really good shoot (or so they say)of Colin's you now what, Alexander's scenes where not so clear and somewhat rushed for my taste. lol btw Rosario's boobs were ohhhh my--> :eek:

Angelina will always be Olympias for me. I'm sure Kidman is a good actress( she was pretty good as Virginia Wade) but if I ever see the other "Alex" :rolleyes: I'll probably be too critical of Kidman and Leo. On another note Alex has made around 29 mill in the US :) It's not a huge hit but it's better than I thought. I hope "Brokeback Mountain" does better.
Virginia Wade? thats funny! i wonder if she would still won an Oscar?:lol:

M2k
Dec 8th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Virginia Wade? thats funny! i wonder if she would still won an Oscar?:lol:

tsk tsk :tape:

I mean Woolf not Wade!!!! :lol: