PDA

View Full Version : What's your experiecne with the disabled?

Navratilove
Nov 14th, 2004, 03:34 PM
A few weeks ago, I had this great and excellent experience at a school where retarded kids learn. My friend's brother is a student there and I was asked to join their day-trip to a part near the school. It was such a rewarding and enriching experience. I mean, I had never done much with retarded ppl before although I had always wanted because I was just afraid and plus didn't get a chance. I was very nervous at first and couldn't even talk to them. I was sort of waitin for them to approach me. then one of the teachers came and told me "don't be so nervous. just take it easy. they are no different than ppl you know." that really lifted a lot of pressure off my shoulders. I was surprised at how much they could do with their limited so called brain functions ( I know this is not an appropriate description. forgive me for my limited vocab). Plus, despite some of them bein older than me, they looked so innocent and were always smiling... no matter what, they look happy. I know they are not aware of the disadvantage they have had to live with but I'm sure they have had to make extra efforts to become what they are. It's just amazing. I won't go on to say that made me realize how happy and blessed I am but this experience gave me a great opportutnity to reflect on where I am in my life and what step to take next....

Shuji Shuriken
Nov 14th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Well, speaking solely from my experience of dealing with a retard like you, I can say my experience has been very traumatic :retard: :anzela:

OUT!
Nov 14th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Less of the word retarded :rolleyes: