PDA

View Full Version : Anyone applying to US colleges as an undergrad?

bis2806
Nov 14th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Post the schools you'll be applying :)

Mine are:
Stanford (my main hopeful!!!!)
UC Berkeley
UCLA
UC Davis
NYU
Carnegie Mellon
Wiscon - Madison
Illinois - Urbana Champaign
U of Florida
USC
Indiana - Bloomington
Virginia
Michigan - Ann Arbor
Foothill

Justeenium
Nov 14th, 2004, 05:00 AM
damn, that's a lot.

MisterQ
Nov 14th, 2004, 05:41 AM
OMG you must have application stamina! :eek: I applied to far fewer schools and even that nearly killed me... ;)

MisterQ
Nov 14th, 2004, 06:41 AM
In retrospect, 6 carefully chosen schools would have been enough. 2 that are slightly above your level, 2 that could go either way, and 2 that are pretty close to definite. :)

CooCooCachoo
Nov 14th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Good luck bis ;) I hope you get into Stanford then!

Rtael
Nov 14th, 2004, 11:47 AM
I'm applying to all the colleges in Mississippi and going somewhere here so I can go for free.....I will probably actually apply to a couple other places (Stanford, UCLA, USC and a couple others) just to see if I'm good enough to get in! :p

Sam L
Nov 14th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Mine are:
UC Berkeley
UCLA
UC Davis
NYU
Carnegie Mellon
Wiscon - Madison
U of Florida
USC
Indiana - Bloomington
Virginia
Michigan - Ann Arbor
Foothill Hey how you doing? :)

Um, anyway, haven't you like asked this question before? In fact, weren't you going to a US college before? :confused:

But good luck anyway.

shap_half
Nov 14th, 2004, 02:00 PM
I applied to 2 schools.

*Karen*
Nov 14th, 2004, 02:07 PM
I just stayed near home.. went to one in Edinburgh. A girl from my high school got into Michigen. I don't really know if that's a good college or not. I know two people who were thinking of going to harvard, but they went to oxford instead.

bis2806
Nov 14th, 2004, 02:38 PM
That's summer sch Sam... and yeah the list is kinda heavy but anyways, i'm trying!!!

PointBlank
Nov 14th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Im only a Freshmen but I when Im a junior I wanna start applying..is that when I should?

Lee-Waters' Boy
Nov 14th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Im only a Freshmen but I when Im a junior I wanna start applying..is that when I should?
you can start getting info and visiting when youre a junior but usually you apply your senior year..

Navratilove
Nov 14th, 2004, 04:34 PM
don't choose uni based on their names. what you wanna do there is more important. different unis offer different stuff. that boils down to what you have in your mind. what you wanna do for your career, etc. just because the uni is prestigious n famous doesn't get u too far.

PointBlank
Nov 14th, 2004, 04:38 PM
you can start getting info and visiting when youre a junior but usually you apply your senior year..
Thanks

PointBlank
Nov 14th, 2004, 04:39 PM
If I was gonna apply it would be to

University of Hawaii
PennState
UConn(my main)
University of Flordia
University of Memphis
Rhodes

Berlin_Calling
Nov 14th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Well Im not applying until next year but I know I am applying early to the Wharton School at UPenn, and then Columbia, maybe NYU, and Georgetown.

Martian KC
Nov 14th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Don't you have to pay for most of those applications?

Williams Rulez
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Woah, u're kinda amazing... Its killing me to write the application essays to even 1 uni... tiring... :(

nbaker53
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:15 AM
wow that's a lot of universities

bis2806
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:22 AM
don't choose uni based on their names. what you wanna do there is more important. different unis offer different stuff. that boils down to what you have in your mind. what you wanna do for your career, etc. just because the uni is prestigious n famous doesn't get u too far.
How does my list indicate that i'm "going for the names" :confused: If I was, i'd be applying to stanford, harvard, yale, duke, princeton, cornell, columbia

MisterQ
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:47 PM
bis2806,

sorry about the unsolicited advice... feel free to ignore it of course! ;)
but if I were doing this again, rather than exhausting myself applying to 14 schools, I would use my energy doing research and trying to whittle that number down to about half that. Like I said in a previous post, find a couple of schools which are long shot, a few which you have a decent chance at, and a couple which are a "sure thing." This would help you focus on turning in some really excellent applications. Ideally, you would be able to visit the schools, have interviews, and meet and talk to students who go to these places. It's hard to do that if you have too many places to go. Also, the sheer cost will be substantial (don't know if that's an issue or not).

At any rate, good luck, I hope you end up at a school you really love! :)

Lee-Waters' Boy
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:55 PM
its kind of a waste anyway if you a) know you want to end up at stanford and b) know that you will most likely get into stanford
why waste so much time

bis2806
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:18 PM
fyi, getting into stanford is a really unpredictable if you haven't noticed. And true enough that I should cut down my heavy list but i wish to keep my options open, and i can't visit schools coz i don't live in the US. i'm applying to relatively competitive schools and it's hard to tell which ones i'll get into. I really think i need to weigh and see what my other options are before i decide.

Lee-Waters' Boy
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:29 PM
fyi, getting into stanford is a really unpredictable if you haven't noticed. And true enough that I should cut down my heavy list but i wish to keep my options open, and i can't visit schools coz i don't live in the US. i'm applying to relatively competitive schools and it's hard to tell which ones i'll get into. I really think i need to weigh and see what my other options are before i decide.
Stanford is competitive but it does not sound like you will have a problem getting in..who knows though.

Helen Lawson
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:53 PM
I can tell you, the National Bank of Helen Lawson paid for all my grandkids' college educations. While I am a doting grandmother, I'm not a dope either. I sat each down, and said, "Sweetie, application fees are a rip off. Five applications, that's it. That's how many Oscar nominations I got, so that's how many applications you get!"

Jericho
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:12 PM
UCLA
UC Berkeley
UC San Diego (my #1 choice :p)
USC

thats it ;)

bis2806
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Stanford is competitive but it does not sound like you will have a problem getting in..who knows though.
There are thousands of applicants applying to stanford with stats similar or better than mine

Barrie_Dude
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:18 AM

Mine are:
UC Berkeley
UCLA
UC Davis
NYU
Carnegie Mellon
Wiscon - Madison
U of Florida
USC
Indiana - Bloomington
Virginia
Michigan - Ann Arbor
FoothillMichigan=Ann Arbor! Go Blue!

bis2806
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Barrie, do you attend that school :tape:

CJ07
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:45 PM
14 is about average for a really competitive looking kid. I tell ya its a guessing game like he said because when half of your schools have acceptance rates of like 20% or lower, you have to apply to a lot.

Mine-

1. Dartmouth (ED)
2. Brown
3. Cornell
4. Penn
5. Harvard
6. Stanford
7. Pomona
8. Middlebury
9. Vanderbilt
10. Northwestern
11. Emory
12. U Michigan-Ann Arbor
13. Tufts
14. Villanova

*abby*
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:52 PM
we have a carnegie in england its not far from me its the best sport college in the country!

pierce0415
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:04 PM
14 is about average for a really competitive looking kid. I tell ya its a guessing game like he said because when half of your schools have acceptance rates of like 20% or lower, you have to apply to a lot.

Mine-

1. Dartmouth (ED)
2. Brown
3. Cornell
4. Penn
5. Harvard
6. Stanford
7. Pomona
8. Middlebury
9. Vanderbilt
10. Northwestern
11. Emory
12. U Michigan-Ann Arbor
13. Tufts
14. Villanova
Good Luck :wavey:
Dartmouth is where I just graduated from

PointBlank
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Im not applying to a college but Darlington a high school sent me a letter today saying theyd give me a scholarship If I played on their tennis team...but Its in Georgia and the scholarship is only a year so Id go play and come back here when I am a junior :shrug:

ex hopman
Nov 18th, 2004, 03:25 PM
If anyone comes to USC, UCLA or Hawaii, let me know!!
I am applying for grad schools there for FALL 05.

bis2806
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:32 PM

Mine-

1. Dartmouth (ED)
2. Brown
3. Cornell
4. Penn
5. Harvard
6. Stanford
7. Pomona
8. Middlebury
9. Vanderbilt
10. Northwestern
11. Emory
12. U Michigan-Ann Arbor
13. Tufts
14. Villanova
Wow that list is competitive! mind if you post your stats? I'm applying to stanford and umich too. Stanford is an amazing place, are you applying EA or RD?

bis2806
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:00 PM
i've sent my UC application yay :) actually i sent it online less than 1 hr before the deadline :eek: because of my stupid counsellor who didn't give me my transcript early.. i also had to miss 20 mins of my math exam paper... anyways, i still have my stanford appps to do this weekend!!!

cellophane
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:02 PM
The number of schools in the US is craaaaaaaaaaaaazy. :eek: And you have to write the SAT's. :scared: :rolleyes: And essays. Geez. :rolleyes:
I didn't have to do any of that :p, but then I don't go to college in the States.

bis2806
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:10 PM
I know but i just have to live with it if i want to end up in america next year.... or else i'd be in UK :o

cellophane
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:12 PM
I know but i just have to live with it if i want to end up in america next year.... or else i'd be in UK :o
What's bad about the UK? I'd rather end up there, actually. :D

bis2806
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:16 PM
well i think it's pretty boring there, the weather would not suit me... i've been to the US three times and i've enjoyed my experiences so far :) the people there are very nice as well, especially californians :D i can't say how awesome san francisco and stanford are!!!

Harju.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:18 PM
hey bis :wavey: are you in indonesia right now. i have my plan which i'm not even sure whether i'll be allowed or not, however i just want to know, where did you get the counsellor? :haha: Just in case!!

cellophane
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:18 PM
well i think it's pretty boring there, the weather would not suit me... i've been to the US three times and i've enjoyed my experiences so far :) the people there are very nice as well, especially californians :D i can't say how awesome san francisco and stanford are!!!
Ah, I thought you were from the States.

bis2806
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:21 PM
no i was living in UK when i was little for a short while, then my parents had to work in indonesia so we're here now

bis2806
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:22 PM
where did I get my counselor? uhh let me think: my school....

cellophane
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
Still, 14 schools is insane to apply to. Here, there are only 14 schools to pick from. :lol: Well, maybe *a bit* more. ;)

bis2806
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:30 PM
i don't know i'm applying to foothill anymore coz it's a community college... and like the UC application does for UC berkeley, UCLA and UC Davis. yay 10 more apps to go :lol: i've considered applying canadian unis before but my parents said that US is better...

cellophane
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:33 PM
i've considered applying canadian unis before but my parents said that US is better...Well, it depends on what they mean by better. I don't think it's nearly as competitive, certainly much cheaper and the quality could be just as good depending on where you are. :)

For one, I'm not sure I'd get into a good schoolf for undergrad law in the States (do these things exist?).

bis2806
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:35 PM
where do you attend college in canada? one of my relatives attend UT

cellophane
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:40 PM
where do you attend college in canada? one of my relatives attend UTI go to school at Carleton, in Ottawa. There is a lot of shit about it being a bad school, but it very much depends on what you are applying for... It has an undergrad in law, which is rare (I don't know if it even exists in other schools), and I've been finding it great so far.

U of T is probably the most competitive and expensive (?) in Ontario and, generally, has a great reputation, but, again, depends on what you are going for.

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Well, it depends on what they mean by better. I don't think it's nearly as competitive, certainly much cheaper and the quality could be just as good depending on where you are. :)

For one, I'm not sure I'd get into a good schoolf for undergrad law in the States (do these things exist?).
You can major in Pre-Law in undergrad...then apply to law school. BTW, the US have the best colleges and universities in the world...:D

cellophane
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:42 PM
You can major in Pre-Law in undergrad...then apply to law school. BTW, the US have the best colleges and universities in the world...:D
Hm, but Pre-Law is essentially anything, isn't it? I'm saying the undergrad itself is in law. ;)

bis2806
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:45 PM
Yeah US rules hahahha well i'm not american myself but i really like living there :) the people are nice and friendly, they're easy to get along with.... and my experience at california was really really good :) i enjoyed it...

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Hm, but Pre-Law is essentially anything, isn't it? I'm saying the undergrad itself is in law. ;)
Thats very strange...In Pre-Law I would imagine you would learn the principles of law while satisfying the other requirements of your degree (liberal arts colleges requires a bunch of bullshit...:rolleyes: )...then you do three years of law school and then take the bar...:scared: How long would an undergraduate law degree take...not sure I would want you working on my case...no offense...:tape:

cellophane
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:52 PM
:lol: Well, it's a B.A. in Law, maybe that's the confusion. You can't practice after taking it, but it's good if you want to work in the legal field. I don't know about the States, but it's not too common around here. I'm not quite sure what's the point of having that being separate from law school but whatever. :confused: I'm sure if there are programs like that in the States, it would be much more competitive, which was my original point. ;)

And I have my doubts about going to law school anyway. :lol:

bis2806
Dec 6th, 2004, 04:47 PM
I've sent in my UC and Wisconsin applications :)