PDA

View Full Version : Question for Americans on this board

Navratilove
Nov 12th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Please be honest and don't be shy and speak out.
Do you deep inside ( or explicitly ) look down on the other countries or think the U.S. is superior to the rest of the world?
You don't have to keep save your face here cuz honesty is the most beautiful thing.

Volcana
Nov 12th, 2004, 10:59 PM
You didn't put a choice in there I could vote for. The USA isn't superior to EVERY country in the world. It's superior to a lot of them though. Recall, for example, that the average life expectancy in Kabul, Afghanistan in 2001 was 40, and most of the people lived lives that I would describe as poverty stricken. Infant mortality was high, women's rights almost non-exiistent, and health care spotty at best.

But a member of the Taliban might consider Afghanistan in 2001 superior to the USA. He would be wrong, of course.

Still, 'superior' is an inherently subjective term.

Bacardi
Nov 12th, 2004, 11:15 PM
We're all equal, in fact, I'd say the USA is near the bottom of the list. It has no respect for anyone, not even itself.

Navratilove
Nov 13th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Vote vote!

Crazy Canuck
Nov 13th, 2004, 06:33 AM
We're all equal, in fact, I'd say the USA is near the bottom of the list. It has no respect for anyone, not even itself.
Bacardi, I understand your gripe with the USA, but you really need a dose of perspective if you think it's near the bottom of the list compared to all the other nations of the world.

AjdeNate!
Nov 13th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Until we take better care of our elderly, our sick, and our school-bound children we will never be 'superior'. And I mean superior in terms of potential within our own country. It's really not easy/fair/nonobjective to compare superiority between countries.

Philbo
Nov 13th, 2004, 07:06 AM
The true test of 'superiority' in my opinion is how well the government looks after the worst off of its citizens - thats the litmus test that applies IMO. Definitely not USA, Im guessing probably sweden..they seem progressive..

i know i aint american but wanted to answer anyway..:)

matthias
Nov 13th, 2004, 07:22 AM
to live in the USA or maybe in another rich country is for sure better then to live in Afghanistan, or Iraq or any other poor country.

but to be european, canadian or american (or living in a rich country) is not a achievement it is a gift, because noone had the chance to choose where he want to be born, and everyone has to deal with the country he was born - sure everyone can take part and can try to make his country a better place.

and so imo noone has the right to look down on any other country.

Paneru
Nov 13th, 2004, 12:07 PM
No, we aren't superior!

Some may think we are and that's what gotten
us in the mess we are in now, but we aren't!