PDA

View Full Version : What do you like about New York?

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:27 PM
The greatest city on earth...The shopping, the resturants, the culture and Entertainment...:drool: Discuss...:wavey:

Sugiyama=#1
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Yes, it's a great life if you are a billionaire:).

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Not true...New York is great...for every budget...Even the homeless can catch shows for free...there is always a performance on every block...:lol:

alfajeffster
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:50 PM
The greatest city on earth...The shopping, the resturants, the culture and Entertainment...:drool: Discuss...:wavey:Great thread Cam! I'll start by saying I like the smell of the wood burning in the soft-pretzel street vendors' carts. I like the hustle and bustle of people all walking in different directions on sidewalks, passing total strangers en masse that they will probably never see again, and all hurrying to get where they are going. I like Madison Square Garden, that big circular monstrosity right in the middle of all that hustle and bustle. I like the fact that you can grab a yellow cab and get pretty much anywhere you want in Manhattan relatively quickly on a weekend, and on a weekday you can go down into the subway and hear the sparks flying from the metal wheels on the tracks. I like the museums, the food, the BBKing House of Blues when Etta James plays there, the fact that there are real honest-to-goodness red clay courts right along the Hudson River at 96th street (who knew?), and just plain the energy that wells up inside me every single goddamned time I come out of the Lincoln Tunnel and see the light of the big city!

"Sluggy"
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:50 PM
I freaking love New York. I miss most things about it every day. I love the ocean, i love the hudson and east river. the fishing is amazing right in manhattan - ive caught striped bass in battery park and right at south street sea port. You may have seen me there Camron, going back about 4 or 5 years. I love NY restaurants, NY Pizza, NYorkers, except growchy ones on the subway... I love NY bars, the NY skyline, riding in a car on that highway on the east side ( pathetic i forget the name of it ) and seeing all the new buildings uptown, that is pretty. i love crossing the brooklyn bridge at night. Coney Island rules. i have wonderful memories of coney island. my favourite restaurant is in china town. it is vietnamese and not expensive. they opened up a second one down the street from the orignial one. anyone know that resto? the village rules! I love watching Mr Lee do his sword cucumber penis cutting ever summer. You'll know him? and those amazing tumblers in washington square. By the way, ill be home for Thanksgiving, so if YOU SENSE A DISTURBANCE IN THE FORCE, dont worry, i wont be home for long... he he.

"Sluggy"
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:51 PM

Not true, you can have a good old time for just a few bucks. take a fishing pole to coney island, and 3 dollars for the finest hot dogs in the world.

"Sluggy"
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:52 PM
only thing i didnt like is the girls - i mean theyse fine and all, but i could never get a date in NY. French girls are easier.

alfajeffster
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:52 PM
I like the fact that you can still go into a small greasy little dinette right smack in the middle of mid-town and order coffee and a danish and this woman with a beehive hairdoo with a pencil stuck in it comes and refills your coffee, and you can sit there (as millions have before you) and read a paper and no one bothers you, yet everyone is busy around you.

alfajeffster
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Did I mention the food?

alfajeffster
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Zoe off of Houston...

alfajeffster
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:54 PM
The Village.

alfajeffster
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Shit, Cam, wasn't sure what I was going to do this weekend, but you just made my mind up for me!

"Sluggy"
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:55 PM
I like the fact that you can still go into a small greasy little dinette right smack in the middle of mid-town and order coffee and a danish and this woman with a beehive hairdoo with a pencil stuck in it comes and refills your coffee, and you can sit there (as millions have before you) and read a paper and no one bothers you, yet everyone is busy around you.

danish make me puke. they are so sticky and smelly, puke puke puke. Bagels, now they are good. not danish, they suck. Those dollar new york dogs rule though. ARE they still a dollar? and what do they charge out of towners?

alfajeffster
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:57 PM
danish make me puke. they are so sticky and smelly, puke puke puke. Bagels, now they are good. not danish, they suck. Those dollar new york dogs rule though. ARE they still a dollar? and what do they charge out of towners?
:lol: I remember taking my dad to see Gabriela Sabatini play Monica Seles at the Virginia Slims Championships at Madison Square Garden, and even way back then, they charged $7.50 for a hot dog and a coke!:lol:

"Sluggy"
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:58 PM
In Cam is right, sorry Euros, NY has to be the GREATEST CITY in the world. Paris might compare, IF IT WERE ON THE OCEAN.

"Sluggy"
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:59 PM
:lol: I remember taking my dad to see Gabriela Sabatini play Monica Seles at the Virginia Slims Championships at Madison Square Garden, and even way back then, they charged $7.50 for a hot dog and a coke!:lol:

Aint that the truth.. go to a Devils game at whatever they call the arena now, and a beer is 8 bucks, hows a person supposed to have a good time. the street vendors, they still sell hot dogs for one dollar? to NYers? and the out of town price?

"Sluggy"
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Still waiting for an answer, has anyone hear of Master Lee? he does performances in washington square every summer. he puts a huge pickle on a guys crotch and slices the thing into bits.

Justeenium
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:02 PM
The greatest city on earth, London...The shopping, the resturants, the culture and Entertainment...:drool: Discuss...:wavey:

fixed

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:02 PM
I freaking love New York. I miss most things about it every day. I love the ocean, i love the hudson and east river. the fishing is amazing right in manhattan - ive caught striped bass in battery park and right at south street sea port. You may have seen me there Camron, going back about 4 or 5 years. I love NY restaurants, NY Pizza, NYorkers, except growchy ones on the subway... I love NY bars, the NY skyline, riding in a car on that highway on the east side ( pathetic i forget the name of it ) and seeing all the new buildings uptown, that is pretty. i love crossing the brooklyn bridge at night. Coney Island rules. i have wonderful memories of coney island. my favourite restaurant is in china town. it is vietnamese and not expensive. they opened up a second one down the street from the orignial one. anyone know that resto? the village rules! I love watching Mr Lee do his sword cucumber penis cutting ever summer. You'll know him? and those amazing tumblers in washington square. By the way, ill be home for Thanksgiving, so if YOU SENSE A DISTURBANCE IN THE FORCE, dont worry, i wont be home for long... he he.
You are talking about the FDR...I love driving down the FDR at night when there is no traffic...It's kind of like a space ride...:hearts:

I have a wonderful view of the city from my apt windows and I sit at my desk at nights and just look at the most amazing skyline :hearts: I pass the statue of Liberty everyday on my commute...I take the ferry across the Hudson from Jersey City. I love christmas in the city...OMG...the hustle and bustle of shoppers, the lights, everyone in a ok mood for New York...I love being able to go the China Grill before the club and have a top class Asian Fusion meal and then a 50cent hot dog from Grays papaya after the club...I JUST LOVE NEW YORK...:hearts:

Infiniti2001
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Everything although I prefer good ole Florida for everyday living. I'm heading to the city to celebrate Christmas with my relatives. The atmosphere at this time of year is simply the bestest :worship: ---- This will be my 4th trip there in 2004 woohoo :bounce: :yippee: :dance: :p

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:09 PM
No place like New York at Christmas...Simply the best...:worship:

MisterQ
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Add the arts, music, theater and dance scene to everything above. ;) :cool:

englishjenfan
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Yellow Taxi's Rock!!!!!

MisterQ
Nov 13th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Just got back from a club --- which reminds me of the best thing about New York! The subway system stays open all night. :yeah: :cool:

~{X}~
Nov 13th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Uhh I love it cause I live here haha. I am a skyscraper freak...so another reason to love it. The different people, the energy, the surroundings. Ahhh lol. :)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 13th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Just got back from a club --- which reminds me of the best thing about New York! The subway system stays open all night. :yeah: :cool:
I was going to say... I love the transit system. It's so efficient. The first week that I went to NYC a few years ago, I couldn't believe that I would get to travel all over NY, all week, for 20 bucks. I was in awe :p

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 13th, 2004, 03:19 PM
I was going to say... I love the transit system. It's so efficient. The first week that I went to NYC a few years ago, I couldn't believe that I would get to travel all over NY, all week, for 20 bucks. I was in awe :p
I love that about NY too...:D

PointBlank
Nov 13th, 2004, 03:41 PM
My dad is getting a job maybe in Allendale,Jersey .. and that means Id be about 30 minutes from Yonkers and about a hour from Queens..so Im excited

Andy_
Nov 13th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Oh, well... where's a boy to begin?! What do I love about NY?

Casually wandering around Times Square and finding out some celebrity :cool: is actually a few feet from me, doing a little gig or whatever... Musicals on Broadway... Lying down in 'the meadow' at Central Park and realize everyone's doing whatever comes into their heads, from yoga, to sleeping :zzz:, to eating, to sunbathing, to playing v-ball, football, baseball... I said 'whatever'! Getting on and off the subway and the buses network at the very reasonable cost of a metrocard... Catching the Staten Island ferry at sunset... Going downtown on the 6, getting off at Bleecker and finding my way through to the Village... Shopping all over the place :o Going out at night and knowing that with no effort at all I can find some great live music pretty much anywhere... Having the chance to experience like any kind of cuisine from all corners of the world without leaving the city... Cheesecake :drool:

Ok, Cam... I think that's it for this first post ;)

SilK
Nov 13th, 2004, 05:03 PM
http://mishami.image.pbase.com/u32/zallakab1/upload/33130404.IMG03655usm2.jpg

:lol:

shap_half
Nov 13th, 2004, 05:14 PM
I LOVE NEW YORK!!!!!!!! The restaurants, the shopping, the eccentric diversity of activities available to you. Going to the East Village for hookah on 1st Ave and then heading over to Ave A for bar hopping and gay clubbing :boounce:

I love how there's always a sample sale somewhere and the Barneys warehouse sale is here twice a year. I LOVE MADISON AVE and SOHO!!!!!! yay for shopping!!! I fucking love New York and the trendy restaurants at Pastis, Balthazar, Nobu, etc. etc.

And New York is just the best fucking city in the world. yay!!!

shap_half
Nov 13th, 2004, 05:15 PM
the opera. the off-broadway shows.

"Sluggy"
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:34 AM
No place like New York at Christmas...Simply the best...:worship:

aint that the truth. nothing like the lights of times suare, 5th Avenue, rockefeller center. people are very very kind, and IMO noone who doenst want to be left out, gets left out. and those 50 cent papaya hot dogs are amazing. ive been eating them for over 20 years now, yum yum and cheap cheap

OUT!
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Not many Europeans have answered - I wonder why?

I love NY for its:

architecture

cuisine

nightlife

vibrancy

people - not!

:D :)

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 15th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Not many Europeans have answered - I wonder why?

I love NY for its:

people - not!

:D :)
:mad: - New Yorkers are the best...You just have to know how to deal with us...we can spot a tourist in a second...:p

"Sluggy"
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:24 PM
I have spent a lot of time in Europe, and nobody seems nice to me than New Yorkers. perhaps ive just gotten used to them. People in NY are Nice Nice Nice

Keith
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM
I love NYC. I grew up in NJ, so Im quite familiar with it. I love visiting home and spending a day in the city walking, shopping, eating and drinking. It's so relaxing to watch people rush about their day as I leisurely stroll through the city streets. While I love NYC and I would enjoy living there, I do not envy the fast-paced lifestyle. I love the sounds of the city and I think the people there are nice.

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:18 PM
I love the new Apple store in Soho...OMG...:drool:

CC
Nov 15th, 2004, 05:29 PM
I just love the overall vibes of being in New York. I was there friday for a comedy show and I was wondering why I don't visit more often. I live so close, yet rarely go. :cool:

SJW
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:01 PM
that YOU live there, Cam :hearts:

and it comes second to London for best city in the world :)

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:54 PM
that YOU live there, Cam :hearts:

and it comes second to London for best city in the world :)
If you thaught so, you would have visited me when you were in the States last summer...:mad:

SJW
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:25 PM
If you thaught so, you would have visited me when you were in the States last summer...:mad:

we'll get together before 05 is up cam, please believe.

you can't keep my love away :hearts:

Crazy Canuck
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:26 PM
:mad: - New Yorkers are the best...You just have to know how to deal with us...we can spot a tourist in a second...:p
I actually found the people very nice! I never had any problems with "rude" New Yorkers. The stereotype was lost on me :D The woman that I stayed with the first time that I went informed us that New Yorkers tend to be nicer to tourists than they are to each other, so maybe that's why I hadn't noticed ;)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:29 PM
The only thing that I did NOT like was:

It SMELLS. BAD. People who have lived there forever will more than likely not notice this anymore, but Manhatten smells like garbage. It really, truly does. So does Queens. However, Manhatten has so many other things going for it that this is forgivable. Queens.. has the USO, so I am also willing to look past the smell there for a week at a time.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:29 PM
The pollution is also horrible... hence the smell, probably. When I was in the car going from Queens to east on Long Island, my throat was burning from the air :o

Spunky83
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Ive never been there, but guess what I did today? Ive picked up my plane-tickets and will celebrate the new year in that city. I am sooooo excited!!!

Just out of curiosity...I know its stupid to go to Flushing Meadows in the cold winter, but I was wondering if I can at least take a look at the centre court? How close can you get? I just want to see how big that thing is in "reality"...Anyone?

Thx in advance and dont laugh;)

"Sluggy"
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:04 PM
I am extremely preferential to NYC. There is nowhere else really i would like to live in the United States except New York and moreso Brooklyn. :) Brooklyn has and always be a melting pot and thats what i love about it. :D I love riding a bike to the water and fish for a bit and walk and talk to people. You get to know an area and the people there and it becomes your whole little oasis. Some of my fondest memories are of getting geared up and leaving way early and fishing for bluefish from the shoreline at Coney Island. How many places can you catch bluefish in the morning, eat lunch with a friend, catch a broadway musical and then a major league baseball game. Not that i did all that but it is possible. :p OK enough rambling. I LOVE NY. I love the new area north of battery park. the recently put in all kinds of stuff, walkways by the water, a nice restaurant by the water and other stuff. Who could not like NY? :fiery:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Yes, that area along the Hudson is like...:eek: They even have a trapez park...:lol: I love Brooklyn...I love Fort Green and Park Slope...I love the brownstones and the multi cultural feel they have...Egyption resturant on one block...Jamaican on another...Italian around the corner and Asian fusion down the street...:eek: Love the West Indian Day parade along Eastern Parkway on labor day...and love Rockwells homo gay club for the brothers on saturday nights downtown Brooklyn...:D

shap_half
Nov 15th, 2004, 09:06 PM
yay for NYC!!!!

EVEN MORE YAY FOR MANHATTAN!!!!!

adidas11
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:10 PM
i watched the show Sex in the City once and two of the characters were in a discussion in which they were complaining about everything from here to timbuktu and mentioning all the negative points of living in nyc and they finally asked what makes nyc city so freakin' great....and i will forever remember sjp's response being...

"because it is."

that, to me basically sums up everything about nyc. my brother and sis, and extended family live there (i use to live there too, but job moved) and there's really nothing like it in the world. nyc is life. it is to be felt. it's 2nd to none in whatever category you choose to consider. it has no rivals.

OUT!
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Who could not like NY? :fiery::o *gagged*

"Sluggy"
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:52 AM
[QUOTE=Cam'ron Giles]Yes, that area along the Hudson is like...:eek: They even have a trapez park...:lol: I love Brooklyn...I love Fort Green and Park Slope...I love the brownstones and the multi cultural feel they have...Egyption resturant on one block...Jamaican on another...Italian around the corner and Asian fusion down the street...:eek: Love the West Indian Day parade along Eastern Parkway on labor day...and love Rockwells homo gay club for the brothers on saturday nights downtown Brooklyn...:D[/QUOTE

My favourite area in Brooklyn is Bay Ridge/Bensonhurst. I love Park Slope, for the shopping, restaurants and walking. however, i feel that there are many obnoxious people in park slope. its like a liberal elitism sometimes. like people seem to vogue to show they are the most artistic, liberated and yes rich. Maybe its my imagination, but no, i dont think so, my wife thinks that Park Slope can be overly trendy and snobby. does anyone else have that impression about Park Slope? Bay Ridge is a much more people friendly atmosphere. Otherwise the village rules. while just as trendy and artistic, people seem more down to earth there. I like Park Slope to visit, but id rather live elsewhere.

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:49 PM
My favourite area in Brooklyn is Bay Ridge/Bensonhurst. I love Park Slope, for the shopping, restaurants and walking. however, i feel that there are many obnoxious people in park slope. its like a liberal elitism sometimes. like people seem to vogue to show they are the most artistic, liberated and yes rich. Maybe its my imagination, but no, i dont think so, my wife thinks that Park Slope can be overly trendy and snobby. does anyone else have that impression about Park Slope? Bay Ridge is a much more people friendly atmosphere. Otherwise the village rules. while just as trendy and artistic, people seem more down to earth there. I like Park Slope to visit, but id rather live elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I agree that some of the artsy people in Park Slope can come off as a bit pretentious but they have to out do their counterparts in the East Village...;)

Helen Lawson
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Flatbush is horrible. I hate Brooklyn.

Kitty Alexander
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Broadwasy darlings, what else would you need to go threfore, besides my penthouse. Have been back of late after the 'Hello Kitty' tour finnished and Max's 'death' had been forgotten about darlings.

Helen Lawson
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Hey Kitty. You did a great job with the tears and all to the cops about Max's "accident." Scott Petersen should have called you before he called the cops.

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Them sexy blatino nukkas ;)

Kitty Alexander
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Well you know I had talent, I only shagged my way to the top cos I wanted to darling, and believe me you need talent to pretend your enjoying with some of those casting directors. I always knew that if there was ever a sniff of the truth imerging I had the right people around me to help. Bellemy, Betty Kracks and Peggy Babcock, were all on standby.

englishjenfan
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Taxi's still the best!

KV
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Same as Jeff described in one of the first posts. Then
New York crowd at sports events
Multicultural
Music
May have left something out.

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:21 PM
New York during the holidays...It's so nice now...the lights are all up and christmas is coming...:hearts:

manu32
Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:33 PM
NY is the city of freedom......

"Sluggy"
Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:42 PM
NY is cool. I miss hot dogs and chicken wings

"Sluggy"
Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:44 PM
Flatbush is horrible. I hate Brooklyn.

How can you hate Brooklyn Helen, you are from Brooklyn! By the way they are shooting a moving right outside my office featuring actor Guillaum Canet, who appeared in the movie the Beach with Leonardo De Caprio. Hes famous in France. :angel:

"Sluggy"
Nov 26th, 2004, 07:35 PM
NY is the greatest. Im up in harlem chilling with a friend. She has a nice sized apartment and shares it with a friend and it is not very expensive. The people are nice here. on the subway i saw a guy just start talking to some girl. she was nice back to him and she smiled at me and i didnt even smile at her. other people were friendly and it was really nice. there is so much to do, walked around time square and window shopped. later were going out to dinner with 2 frenchies i met on the plane. Cant wait to go down and hang in the village, grab a drink somewhere and and sit in Washington Square, and after go for dinner. NY Rules!

selking
Nov 26th, 2004, 08:51 PM
nothing

Dave B
Nov 26th, 2004, 08:56 PM
The only thing that I did NOT like was:

It SMELLS. BAD. People who have lived there forever will more than likely not notice this anymore, but Manhatten smells like garbage. It really, truly does. So does Queens. However, Manhatten has so many other things going for it that this is forgivable. Queens.. has the USO, so I am also willing to look past the smell there for a week at a time.

It really depends on where you are. The area I live in is not smelly, but an area like Chinatown....smelly smelly. But as far as polution goes, there are definitly cities in the US that have worse air (e.g. Houston, L.A., etc.).

I love how much there is to do...and I also love the lifestlye. I am a fast lane guy, and considering I want to work in the financial industry location can't be beat.

spiceboy
Nov 26th, 2004, 10:41 PM
What I like the most about NYC?

Surely Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda :p

Crazy Canuck
Nov 28th, 2004, 07:14 AM
It really depends on where you are. The area I live in is not smelly, but an area like Chinatown....smelly smelly. But as far as polution goes, there are definitly cities in the US that have worse air (e.g. Houston, L.A., etc.).

It probably doesn't smell to you, but I guarentee you that it would smell to me. Everywhere I went in Manhatten smelled. Everywhere I went in Queens smelled. Even the air out on Long Island burned my nostrils. It sort of gave me a greater appreciation for the air "quality" in the greater Toronto region (which is not so quality, but could apparently be worse).

I don't doubt that it's worse in LA.... I've heard horrible things about the air there :scared: But that wasn't my point :p

NY smells and that is all there is to it :angel: