PDA

View Full Version : What does the US have to do to improve its international image?

"Sluggy"
Nov 12th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Its getting bad dudes. In France nobody loves us anymore. :sad: When my brother was studying 14 years ago in Nantes, France he was so proud to walk down the street. Especially the people old enough to appreciate the US's sacrafices made him feel so special. :angel: Still when i visit the country, there is an older man who cries every time i see him, when he speaks fondly of the Americans who liberated France. :) But these days, its tough being an American in Paris. :eek: I stick and move, dont spend much time in cafés. once they hear youre american they ask who you voted for. :tape: They are completely perplexed that people voted for Bush. and perplexed by the religious right that he is supported by. What happened? Even several years ago, people looked to the US as a beacon, now that is not the case. :sad: it makes me very sad and scared. Can the US have a nice international image again? :worship:

jelena4me
Nov 12th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Probably not for quite a while

OUT!
Nov 12th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Bring Clinton back. But yes, I think many Europeans have lost respect for the US, but not the American people per se.

"Sluggy"
Nov 12th, 2004, 09:27 AM
neah, i think that used to be the case, now French people dont distinguish too much between America and Americans, as they used to. Now they figure if half the population voted for Bush "Ils ont la tete niqué" (they are freaking idiots). Put simply, America is not a ray of light leading the way, as it once possibly was. It is really shame, and it makes it complicated to be an American, in Paris at least.

And yes, i would do away with term limits, that way if Clinton was still loved by the people, he could still be president.

OUT!
Nov 12th, 2004, 09:34 AM
neah, i think that used to be the case, now French people dont distinguish too much between America and Americans, as they used to. Now they figure if half the population voted for Bush "Ils ont la tete niqué" (they are freaking idiots). Put simply, America is not a ray of light leading the way, as it once possibly was. It is really shame, and it makes it complicated to be an American, in Paris at least.Oh dear, well obviously you know better than me b/c you live there. If it's any consolation, the French don't like us either. Come to London instead :p

"Sluggy"
Nov 12th, 2004, 09:38 AM
oh dont say that, the french like the Brits pretty good - the french complain about everything and everyone, cept the Irish it seems.

Steff_forever
Nov 12th, 2004, 09:39 AM
neah, i think that used to be the case, now French people dont distinguish too much between America and Americans, as they used to. Now they figure if half the population voted for Bush "Ils ont la tete niqué" (they are freaking idiots). Put simply, America is not a ray of light leading the way, as it once possibly was. It is really shame, and it makes it complicated to be an American, in Paris at least.

And yes, i would do away with term limits, that way if Clinton was still loved by the people, he could still be president.
I think we (that includes Brits and Gers as well) distinguish very well between the tendencies of the US admin and the different opinions of the people. Europeans have different political attitudes but we commonly share a sense of effects of aggressive talking and acting and being one-sided ...

Navratilove
Nov 12th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Kick the baboon outa fuckin office.

Dava
Nov 12th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Loose the political arrogence...I have nothing against the American people, MY BEST FRIEND IS AMERICAN, but some of the politicians over there really need to pull their heads out of their arses, and see that the days of the superpower are over, and need to consider themseleves equal with other countrys. Maybe I start would be cutting down on their pollution and emitions.

veryborednow
Nov 12th, 2004, 11:33 AM
What does the US have to do to improve its international image?

Acknowledge and adhere international laws

Acknowledge and respect other country's opinions

Gain some neutrality with regard to the Israel/Palstine problem

Stop trying to transport democracy

Lose the blantent hypocracy with regard to the war on terrorism

Sign the Kyoto agreement

Help third world debt

etc. etc.

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Quit with all "We're the greatest country in the world" talk because you never here presidents of other countries saying it and it just sounds stupid! And everything that Veryborednow said obviously! ;)

Helen Lawson
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Send me on a world tour.

tfannis
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Send me on a world tour.That could be a solution, if only...
Who the hell is Helen Lawson? :confused:

Truthwillout
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:15 PM
That could be a solution, if only...
Who the hell is Helen Lawson? :confused:

Don't tell me you've been here 3 years and you don't know? :confused:

tfannis
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Don't tell me you've been here 3 years and you don't know? :confused:Erm well, lol ;) I know she must be some sort of actress, she's probably famous to, but when and where should I've seen her?

Helen Lawson
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Who the hell are you?

Cassius
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:21 PM
What does the US have to do to improve it's international image?
Invade every country in the world!!!!:devil::haha::devil:

tfannis
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Who the hell are you?Noone special, but I'm not planning to go on a world tour so who I am isn't of any importance ;)

Helen Lawson
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Noone special, but I'm not planning to go on a world tour so who I am isn't of any importance ;)
I can't believe a star of my stature has to even post this, but I'm in a good mood this morning, I just took some yellow ones:

Helen Lawson (I)

Date of birth (location)
30 June 1918
Brooklyn, New York, USA Date of death (details)
Still going strong
Mini biography
The youngest of three children, Edythe Marrenner was born in the Flatbush... (show more)Sometimes Credited As:
Edythe Marriner Filmography as: Actress, Herselff, Archive Footage, Notable TV Guest Appearances

Actress - filmography
(1970s) (1960s) (1950s) (1940s) (1930s)

Say Goodbye, Maggie Cole (1972) (TV) .... Dr. Maggie Cole
Revengers, The (1972).... Elizabeth Reilly
... aka Vengadores, Los (1972) (Mexico)
Heat of Anger (1972) (TV) .... Jessie Fitzgerald
... aka Fitzgerald and Pride (1972) (TV)
Valley of the Dolls (1967) ... Susan Hayward
Honey Pot, The (1967) .... Mrs. Sheridan
... aka Honeypot, The (1967) (USA)
... aka It Comes Up Murder (1967)
... aka Mr. Fox of Venice (1967)
Where Love Has Gone (1964).... Valerie Hayden Miller
Stolen Hours (1963) .... Laura Pember
... aka Summer Flight (1963) (USA)
I Thank a Fool (1962) .... Christine Allison
Back Street (1961) .... Rae Smith
Ada (1961) .... Ada Gillis
Marriage-Go-Round, The (1961) .... Content Delville
Woman Obsessed (1959) .... Mary Sharron
Thunder in the Sun (1959) .... Gabrielle Dauphin
I Want to Live! (1958) .... Barbara Graham
Top Secret Affair (1957) .... Dorothy 'Dottie' Peale
... aka Their Secret Affair (1957) (UK)
Conqueror, The (1956) .... Bortai
... aka Conqueror of the Desert (1956)
I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955) .... Lillian Roth
Soldier of Fortune (1955) .... Mrs. Jane Hoyt
Untamed (1955).... Katie O'Neill(Kildare)(Van Riebeck)
Garden of Evil (1954) .... Leah Fuller
Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954).... Messalina
White Witch Doctor (1953) .... Ellen Burton
President's Lady, The (1953).... Rachel Donaldson/Robards/Jackson, Narrator
Lusty Men, The (1952) .... Louise Merritt
Snows of Kilimanjaro, The (1952) .... Helen
... aka Ernest Hemingway's The Snows of Kilimanjaro (1952) (USA: complete title)
With a Song in My Heart (1952) .... Jane Froman
David and Bathsheba (1951) .... Bathsheba
I Can Get It for You Wholesale (1951) .... Harriet Boyd
... aka Only the Best (1951) (USA: TV title)
... aka This Is My Affair (1951) (UK)
Rawhide (1951) .... Vinnie Holt
... aka Desperate Siege (1951) (USA: reissue title)
I'd Climb the Highest Mountain (1951).... Mary Elizabeth Eden Thompson
My Foolish Heart (1949) .... Eloise Winters
House of Strangers (1949) .... Irene Bennett
Tulsa (1949) .... Cherokee 'Cherry' Lansing
Saxon Charm, The (1948) .... Janet Busch
Tap Roots (1948) .... Morna Dabney
Lost Moment, The (1947) .... Tina Bordereau
They Won't Believe Me (1947) .... Verna Carlson
Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman (1947).... Angelica 'Angie'/'Angel' Evans Conway
... aka Smash-Up (1947)
... aka Woman Destroyed, A (1947) (UK)
Canyon Passage (1946) .... Lucy Overmire
Deadline at Dawn (1946).... June Goth
And Now Tomorrow (1944).... Janice Blair
Hairy Ape, The (1944) .... Mildred Douglas
Fighting Seabees, The (1944) .... Constance Chesley
... aka Donovan's Army (1944)
Jack London (1943) .... Charmian Kittredge
... aka Adventures of Jack London, The (1943)
... aka Life of Jack London, The (1943)
... aka Story of Jack London, The (1943) (USA)
Hit Parade of 1943 (1943) .... Jill Wright
... aka Change of Heart (1949) (USA: reissue title)
Young and Willing (1943) .... Kate Benson
... aka Out of the Frying Pan (1943)
I Married a Witch (1942) .... Estelle Masterson
Forest Rangers, The (1942) .... Tana 'Butch' Mason
Paramount Victory Short No. T2-1: A Letter From Bataan (1942) .... Mrs. Mary Lewis
... aka Letter from Bataan, A (1942) (USA: short title)
Reap the Wild Wind (1942) .... Cousin Drusilla Alston
... aka Cecil B. DeMille's Reap the Wild Wind (1942) (USA: complete title)
Among the Living (1941) .... Millie Pickens
Sis Hopkins (1941) .... Carol Hopkins
Adam Had Four Sons (1941) .... Hester Stoddard
... aka Legacy (1941) (USA)
$1000 a Touchdown (1939).... Betty McGlen
Our Leading Citizen (1939)... Judith Schofield
Beau Geste (1939) .... Isobel Rivers
Comet Over Broadway (1938) (uncredited) .... Amateur Actress
Girls on Probation (1938) .... Gloria Adams
Sisters, The (1938) (uncredited) .... Telephone Operator
Campus Cinderella (1938) .... College Girl
Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse, The (1938) (scenes deleted) .... Patient
Hollywood Hotel (1937) (uncredited) .... Starlet at table

Filmography as: Actress, Herself, Archive Footage, Notable TV Guest Appearances

Herself - filmography
(1970s) (1960s) (1950s) (1940s)

46th Annual Academy Awards, The (1974) (TV).... Herself - Co-Presenter: Best Actress in a Leading Role
Think Twentieth (1967) .... Herself
32nd Annual Academy Awards, The (1960) (TV) .... Herself - Presenter: Best Actor
31st Annual Academy Awards, The (1959) (TV) .... Herself - Best Actress Winner
28th Annual Academy Awards, The (1956) (TV) .... Herself - Nominee: Best Actress in a Leading Role & Presenter: Costume Design Awards
Screen Snapshots: Hopalong in Hoppy Land (1951) .... Herself
Skirmish On the Home Front (1944) .... Molly Miller
Star Spangled Rhythm (1942) .... Herself - Genevieve in Priorities Skit

Archive Footage</B>

Cleopatra: The Film That Changed Hollywood (2001) (TV) (uncredited) .... Herself
Isn't She Great (2000) (uncredited) .... Herself
Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind, The (1989) (TV) .... Herself
Sixty Years of Seduction (1981) (TV) .... Herself

Notable TV Guest Appearances

"Toast of the Town" playing "Herself" 24 June 1956
"Reflets de Cannes" 2 May 1956
"Climax!" playing "Herself" in episode: "The Louella Parsons Story" (episode # 2.23) 8 March 1956
"Toast of the Town" playing "Herself" 4 March 1956

Borris
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:49 PM

destroy your mass destruction weapons!

"Sluggy"
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:51 PM

destroy your mass destruction weapons!

Sure, after Russia, France, NORTH KOREA, INDIA, PAKISTAN, and other less reliable and trustworthy nations do.

tfannis
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Well thank you Helen ;) That are a lot of movies :bigclap:

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:19 PM
That's an impressive filmography Helen! :yeah: ;)

Andy T
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Acknowledge and adhere to international laws

Acknowledge and respect other countries' opinions

Gain some neutrality with regard to the Israel/Palestine problem

Stop trying to export democracy

Lose the blantent hypocrisy with regard to the "war on terrorism"

Sign the Kyoto agreement

Help third world debt

etc. etc.

Agreed. IMO, this is not a question of "image" but reality.

For centuries, Europe was seen as the leader of civilisation but the US took over because of the economic oppression and corruption, political extremism, racism/ imperialism and hierarchical societies that characterised the European continent until well after WWII. At that time, the US represented economic opportunity for all, liberty and justice, a melting pot society where religious and racial differences were more accepted than in Europe.

Nowadays, Europeans perceive the US to be an intolerant, extremist, imperialist power and a greedy acquisitive society which squanders resources and disrespects the environment. It's a model they don't like and don't want.

The tables are turning. The US will go in the direction that its people choose
but that choice will have consequences on US relationships with the rest of the world.

As for gratitude for the involvement of US service personnel in the liberation of Europe after WWII (along with people from many many other countries both within and outside of Europe), that is justly due to those who did it, not to the place they come from. Young Americans today can take no credit for what their parents and grandparents did any more than the children or grandchildren of the fascists they fought against are responsible for the crimes of their ancestors.

Steff_forever
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Sure, after Russia, France, NORTH KOREA, INDIA, PAKISTAN, and other less reliable and trustworthy nations do.
others havn't used them in cities ...

Circe
Nov 12th, 2004, 06:07 PM
you missed out China and Iran.

anyhow, the die is cast as far as our image in the rest of the world is concerned for at least the next four years. as a damage control excercise, tho' we could send Helen on that World Tour.

Sugiyama=#1
Nov 12th, 2004, 06:11 PM
How about some kind of civil revolution from John's supporter consisting of gays and unemployed:).

Volcana
Nov 12th, 2004, 08:32 PM
What does the US have to do to improve its international image? (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=4463276#post4463276) 1) Treat the people inthe world who disagree with us like we respect them. That's not really a solution. That's a 'stop things from getting worse'.

2) Stop lying. See run-up to conquest of Iraq.

3) Get out of Iraq, and don't leave any military bases behind us. That's the only way anyone will ever believe we invaded for purposes of liberation in the first place. Right now, it's just naked aggression and conquest. And of course, the resistance isn't going to quit.

Bacardi
Nov 12th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Get rid of George W Bush.

kabuki
Nov 12th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Hire a publicist, and admit a malady, addiction, or past abuse.

PointBlank
Nov 12th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Alot of French dont like USA anymore because USA was a jackass because they wouldnt go to Iraq and went as far as Freedom Toast and Freedom Fries

"Sluggy"
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Alot of French dont like USA anymore because USA was a jackass because they wouldnt go to Iraq and went as far as Freedom Toast and Freedom Fries

the United States and France are very very strong allies and will always be so. :angel: I am not expert on international relations, but I am sure that France ranks in the top 5 as far as being friends with the United States. ;) France is not afraid to tell the US when it is being an idiot, nor is it afraid to lose american dollars when the US says if you are not with me you are against me. :p France obviously is not easily bought out. French people now more than ever wonder what the hell Americans are all about now with Bush in office a second term. :mad: And the average American is scratching his head wondering why France doesnt just yield when Captian America throws his mighty shield. :cool: As the resident expert here at WTA, I am right and the rest of you are wrong, if you dare disagree. :fiery:

fifiricci
Nov 15th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Sure, after Russia, France, NORTH KOREA, INDIA, PAKISTAN, and other less reliable and trustworthy nations do.It amazes me how the US got away with using a weapon of mass destruction in Japan in 1945 (twice!) and somehow that is alright? What hypocrisy!! The US smells as bad as the rest of the world, but its government/citizens cant smell their own bad BO and continue to believe that they are the guys in the white cowboy hats and that the rest of the world should be grateful :rolleyes:

fifiricci
Nov 15th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Acknowledge and adhere international laws

Acknowledge and respect other country's opinions

Gain some neutrality with regard to the Israel/Palstine problem

Stop trying to transport democracy

Lose the blantent hypocracy with regard to the war on terrorism

Sign the Kyoto agreement

Help third world debt

etc. etc.
:worship: Its a starting point at least!

kabuki
Nov 15th, 2004, 01:08 PM
It amazes me how the US got away with using a weapon of mass destruction in Japan in 1945 (twice!) and somehow that is alright? What hypocrisy!! The US smells as bad as the rest of the world, but its government/citizens cant smell their own bad BO and continue to believe that they are the guys in the white cowboy hats and that the rest of the world should be grateful :rolleyes:

Being lumped together sucks.

fifiricci
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Being lumped together sucks.
Yes it does, doesn't it. I'm a Brit who is a francophile, but as a Brit I am supposed to detest our European cousins! It's a tough old world out there.

"Sluggy"
Nov 15th, 2004, 02:21 PM
It amazes me how the US got away with using a weapon of mass destruction in Japan in 1945 (twice!) and somehow that is alright? What hypocrisy!! The US smells as bad as the rest of the world, but its government/citizens cant smell their own bad BO and continue to believe that they are the guys in the white cowboy hats and that the rest of the world should be grateful :rolleyes:

Not to start a debate with you, cause usually i find your posts good and sound. but what did you want the US to do? We had already fought a long and costly war, and it wasnt even on our soil. I dont know if we were right to use the bomb at that time, but nobody else was standing in light to fight the Japanese for us. :rolleyes:

fifiricci
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Not to start a debate with you, cause usually i find your posts good and sound. but what did you want the US to do? We had already fought a long and costly war, and it wasnt even on our soil. I dont know if we were right to use the bomb at that time, but nobody else was standing in light to fight the Japanese for us. :rolleyes:
I'm not saying I know the answer, but I wanted to demonstrate that this argument that there are "right" and "wrong" people to use WMD is a little thin and not a little hypocritical (especially if you are looking at the world through Japanese eyes!!).

Maybe thinking about such things will help the US a little with its arrogance problem.

I dont want to fight with you either :)

kiwifan
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:00 PM
The US has to do nothing, the world is already starting to come around.

No one cares about the squawking of certain people with their own anti-Yank agenda; your governments are already starting to fall in line. Look at Iran, post Bush re-election, the saber rattling ceases. :lol:

Most of the whiny posters in WTAworld didn't like the USA anyway so fuck them. :devil:

I repeat, your govts. are already falling in line!!! :hehehe: As long as your govts. cooperate your whining is meaningless. :dance:

PointBlank
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:15 PM
the United States and France are very very strong allies and will always be so. :angel: I am not expert on international relations, but I am sure that France ranks in the top 5 as far as being friends with the United States. ;) France is not afraid to tell the US when it is being an idiot, nor is it afraid to lose american dollars when the US says if you are not with me you are against me. :p France obviously is not easily bought out. French people now more than ever wonder what the hell Americans are all about now with Bush in office a second term. :mad: And the average American is scratching his head wondering why France doesnt just yield when Captian America throws his mighty shield. :cool: As the resident expert here at WTA, I am right and the rest of you are wrong, if you dare disagree. :fiery:
Also if you look at alot of Republican web sites their shirts and pens say "Kerry for President of France" .. "Verry/Leftwards For France" .. etc.

RVD
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Get rid of George W Bush. :worship: GOOD place to start. Nothing more dangerous than a religious zealot running a country.

also...

1. Jail the authors of PNAC (The Project for the New American Century).
a.k.a.: The fathers of Neoconservatism- The framers of the 'military might
makes right' ideology.

2. Drop the "...fuck everyone else...", "...we're the only ones who
count..." attitude would definitely help.

3. Stop creating dictators and arming sociopaths that turn around and bite
us in the ass.

4. Being Honest with, and actually working with our allies.

flyingmachine
Nov 15th, 2004, 09:18 PM
:worship: GOOD place to start. Nothing more dangerous than a religious zealot running a country.

also...

1. Jail the authors of PNAC (The Project for the New American Century).
a.k.a.: The fathers of Neoconservatism- The framers of the 'military might
makes right' ideology.

2. Drop the "...fuck everyone else...", "...we're the only ones who
count..." attitude would definitely help.

3. Stop creating dictators and arming sociopaths that turn around and bite
us in the ass.

4. Being Honest with, and actually working with our allies.
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Absolutely correct! Wow you are truly impressed me. :)