PDA

View Full Version : Scotland to ban smoking in public

Grachka
Nov 11th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Well this seems overly harsh, its apparently 10x stronger than in Ireland and New York. Individuals will face on-the-spot fines for smoking in any building outside their house :eek:. Although i supported some form of ban, this seems a bit too much. Sorry if this has been posted before.

Source: The Scotsman Newspaper.

Scots smoking ban announced

BEN JUDGE

Key points

• Ministers unanimously agree on ban on smoking in public places in Scotland
• Legislation to be launched before Xmas and fully in force by Spring 2006
• £2500 fine for businesses who do not comply
• Fixed penalty fines for individuals, up to £1000 for persistent offenders

Key quote

"I believe that there is no greater action we can take to improve the well-being of children and families in Scotland, for generations to come, than to secure this legislation and make Scotland’s public places smoke free." Jack McConnell, Scottish First Minister.

Story in full: Scottish cabinet ministers today unanimously agreed to ban smoking in enclosed public places.

The decision was announced by the First Minister in the Scottish Parliament this afternoon after ministers agreed on a recommendation from the health minister Andy Kerr.

Jack McConnell said legislation will be launched before Christmas under the Health Service (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill, with a target date for full implementation of spring 2006.

Justifying the ban, Mr McConnell said, "Too many people smoke, and too many people die or fall ill from cancer, stroke and heart disease. The single largest cause of preventable premature death in Scotland is smoking."

He said: "A comprehensive ban will be a clear signal that Scotland has changed. It will reduce smoking, save lives and help transform our national health. It will be easier to enforce and simpler to understand than other options that would fall short of that.

"We will take the steps to implement this decision together with those affected, not simply to impose it on those who are addicted, or worried about their business.

"I believe that there is no greater action we can take to improve the well-being of children and families in Scotland, for generations to come, than to secure this legislation and make Scotland’s public places smoke free.

"But more than anything, the reason why smoking in public places should be illegal is because of the message it sends about our nation.

"No longer will Scotland be the place in Europe most associated with poor health, and no longer does Scotland need to wait for someone else to take responsibility for difficult decisions."

The ban will be enforced by environmental health and local licensing standards officers will be responsible for enforcement.

Licensees or employers who fail to enforce the law in their premises will face fines of up to £2,500 – those who persistently flout the law will face having their their licence withdrawn.

Individuals face fixed penalty fines, with a maximum fine of £1,000 for persistent offenders.

Private clubs will not be exempt from the ban.

The British Medical Association, the Royal College of Nursing, and the public sector union Unison are all in favour of the ban. An estimated 13,000 people in Scotland die each year from smoking related illnesses according to the BMA.

The Scottish Licensed Trade Association, who would prefer a voluntary solution, said a ban would mean jobs would be lost.

The consultation exercise had 52,441 responses from individuals, and 1,033 responses from groups, organisations or businesses."

DevilishAttitude
Nov 11th, 2004, 08:15 PM
While none of my family smoke and I never had (although I'd like to see what it would be like :rolleyes: ;)) I don't think smoking should be banned because it's the smokers choice

What will it be next banning alcohol :o

CooCooCachoo
Nov 11th, 2004, 08:37 PM
:cool: :p

I hate smoking :) But they should allow it in special areas :)

Bezz
Nov 11th, 2004, 08:55 PM
While none of my family smoke and I never had (although I'd like to see what it would be like :rolleyes: ;)) I don't think smoking should be banned because it's the smokers choice

What will it be next banning alcohol :o
But its not the choice of a non-smoker not to breath it in if they are in the same public space, thats the point ;) . Smoke in your own home if yu really wanna smoke, or just dont start (or give up). :)

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 11th, 2004, 10:39 PM
The quicker Newcastle has it banned the better!! I'm sick of constantly breathing in other people's smoke! :mad: Most smokers want to quit and I guess it being banned in public places will probably help them! :)

Paldias
Nov 11th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Canada has done something like this. You can't smoke in any restaurants or public places however you can if you're in the car or like walking down the street. However when people do smoke it's as if you're holding a gun because everyone looks at you.

CondiLicious
Nov 11th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Is there any chance that the rest of the UK will ban smoking in public places too?

Flappie
Nov 11th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Well I suppose scotland had to do something, coz public health here is SO BAD!