PDA

View Full Version : Conversations with God...anyone read it??

Philbo
Nov 10th, 2004, 05:17 AM
The CWG series of books really changed my life.

All my life Ive believed in God and a higher power etc. But growing up in school scripture lessons and Sunday School etc, I never really believed what we were taught. There were so many holes in the arguments around God put forward by my teachers that even a 10 year old could ask questions that they couldnt answer...

I remember once I asked (in relation to the commandment of "thou Shall not worship any other god but me" - and I asked my teachers about whether people who have never been taught about Christ would go to hell for worshiping the Sun etc.. I asked whether it was fair if a baby who died 2 hours after being born would go to hell for not being christened etc...questions they couldnt really answer..

Anyway, also growing up and realising I was gay etc I also used to get really scared that maybe they were right, maybe I would go to hell for being gay.. Which seemed so unfair to me. I knew with absolute certainty that I never chose to be gay.. Indeed, I spent 99% of my nights as a teenager, pleading, begging with God to change that aspect of me... He never did.

So it really used to bother me that so many people believed being gay meant going to hell...at the same time those same people spoke about a loving, nurturing, kind God. But that conflicted with me because I was being taught that I would go to hell basically for something I had no control over. I knew it couldnt be true. I knew that no LOVING god would punich me for being how HE created me..

Anyway a few years ago I read a book called Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch, and this book really, closer than any other source, In my opinion, gives the true message of God, and of Jesus Christ.

Without going too much into the book, I just wanted to ask if anyone else here has read it, and what they thought of it..

Positive/Negative replies both welcome - just give me your honest thoughts on the book...

Volcana
Nov 10th, 2004, 05:52 AM
"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you." - George Carlin

Haven't read the book. Love the title. I vacillate from Atheism to Agnostocism. But I don't feel a need, even at my most theistic, for a barrier layer between me and any higher order of existence. When I need to talk to God, I say "Yo! God! Kinda gotta talk.' When God needs to talk to me, it's more like "Hey! Stupidhead!"

People like to shrink God down into something that will fit inside their pointy little heads. Don't work that way. At the same time, even if our presence IS 'divinely ordained', God's will may be that we all die painfully and slowly, for some God-level type greater good.

HIV could be some necessary precoursor to the 2nd coming. How the Hell would WE know?