PDA

View Full Version : Erasmus... where to go?

Come-on-kim
Nov 9th, 2004, 07:09 PM
OK, in January 2006, I can go studying in another country for 6 months.... but where to go?

I am studying Economy and can understand French, English and Dutch...

They are proposing us some countries :

Danemark (classes in English) (Copenhague or Aarhus)
Greece (classes in English (Athens) or Greek (Thessaloniki))
Germany (classes in German) (Berlin, Mannheim or Munich)
Spain (classes in Spanish mostly) (Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Vigo, Zaragoza)
France (classes in French) (Lille, Paris, Poitiers, Toulouse) -> not really interesting I guess as my mother tongue is French
Italy (classes in Italian) (Milan, Naples, Rome, Siena)
The Netherlands (classes in English) (Maastricht)
Portugal (classes in Portuguese mostly) (Coimbra, Faro, Lisboa)

and last but not least....

Canada (in different cities... even at the prestigious McGill university) A lot of demand to go there, they only take the best but at the same time, I'll have to retake most of my Belgian exams during the holiday so that's a disadvantage as well

Also, there're possibilities to go and studying in a Flemish university in Belgium (then my choice would be VUB or UGent) But, it's not really interesting for the "cultural" point of view for Erasmus

Out of thoses choices (judging with my languages possibilities), what would u pick?

smarties
Nov 9th, 2004, 07:43 PM
I know I shouldn't say this but I wouldn't chose Canada!!! it's not what it's billed up to be...

It's kind of a personnal question, it really depends of so many factors (background, tastes, language...) I know that if it was up to me I would go to Munich, Germany without a doubt.

Anyway, I know I wasn't the biggest help but good luck; anyway, I don't think you can really go wrong with the great choices that you have.

ghosts
Nov 9th, 2004, 07:48 PM
I would go to Thessaloniki, Greece ;) :)
great town :yeah:

the problem will be with the Greek language tho, I suppose

James
Nov 9th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Why not try Maastricht? It's a really nice place to be in and it would work out with your language abilities. And it's not all that far off where you live now probably, so if you don't like it, you can rush home quick, which would be a lot harder if you're in Canada. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Tylane
Nov 9th, 2004, 07:59 PM
I'd choose Canada ! :hearts:

hythger
Nov 9th, 2004, 08:01 PM
I would tell u to come to Portugal but the language might be a problem!:o
that is, if you don't know any portuguese! ;)

thalle
Nov 9th, 2004, 08:13 PM
I am Danish. We have great unis, and Copenhagen is a nice time!
Besides, nice to have more Kim supporters in DK:)

Besides that, we have the roskilde festival (30 km from CPH) www.roskilde-festival.dk
great!

Buts its really cold:(

grmbl
Nov 9th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Copenhague is soo great..I'd choose that..

thalle
Nov 9th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Copenhague is soo great..I'd choose that..
youve been to CPH?? Where did you go? For how long?

SilK
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:05 PM
I would go for Spain!

wayitis
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:15 PM
France and Netherlands even though beautiful places, will add less to your resume, being French and Dutch your daily languages. If learning another important language is your main goal, I would limit my choices to Spain or Germany then. Munich is a very nice town and the Bavarians are usually very cheerful and festive. Besides, German is not that far from Dutch, and that would help you. Spain has the advantage of a better climate and the outstanding alternatives of Madrid or Barcelona. You will realize that you will soon be able to understand Spanish, as it's not that far from French. Italy would be my third option. Good Luck! :wavey:

propi
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:47 PM
UK... don't you have that option??
Well, if you go to Greece, Portugal or Spain your money should last longer but on the other hand you could have some trouble with the language.
About the options in Spain they are cool, however in some places you may face people talking in their regional languages
In our Uni we had a list of former Erasmus in those cities so a conversation with a coffee was really useful... maybe you should do so :)
What's sure that should be a great year :)

grmbl
Nov 9th, 2004, 10:00 PM
youve been to CPH?? Where did you go? For how long?
6 days or something.. I've been to some hotspots like Legoland.. :p

thalle
Nov 10th, 2004, 06:14 PM
6 days or something.. I've been to some hotspots like Legoland.. :p
lol, youve visited Jylland too? You have sure been around. Denmark is a really(;)) big country, I am amazed!

You saw Roskilde? Sometimes thats the best city in Dk....

But CPH has the cutest guys...

2ace2
Nov 10th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Out of those options I'd choose Denmark. Scandinavia is a really interesting region.
I've got the same dilemma by the way. Next year I also have to give up a city but I'm still in doubt between Lausanne (Switzerland) or Göteborg (Sweden). Lausanne has the advantage that it's French so I wouldn't have that many problems understranding. In Göteborg classes are in Swedish. But on the other hand I'm very interested in Scandinavia, so I'm not really sure yet.
Any help?

tfannis
Nov 10th, 2004, 08:44 PM
I know a girl who went to Thessaloniki and she had a pretty easy year there. She got to do all her exams in English. She had a great time, I suppose she would recommend it ;)

Flappie
Nov 10th, 2004, 09:12 PM
well, I would at least choose a country which language you can understand easily. And I am speaking from experience!:)

Allez-H
Nov 10th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Since I'm a Portugal-freak,i would say go to Portugal :hearts: But the language indeed might be a barrier

Come-on-kim
Nov 10th, 2004, 10:04 PM
UK... don't you have that option??
Well, if you go to Greece, Portugal or Spain your money should last longer but on the other hand you could have some trouble with the language.
About the options in Spain they are cool, however in some places you may face people talking in their regional languages
In our Uni we had a list of former Erasmus in those cities so a conversation with a coffee was really useful... maybe you should do so :)
What's sure that should be a great year :)
No, in the UK, they don't want students for such a short time!

Come-on-kim
Nov 10th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Out of those options I'd choose Denmark. Scandinavia is a really interesting region.
I've got the same dilemma by the way. Next year I also have to give up a city but I'm still in doubt between Lausanne (Switzerland) or Göteborg (Sweden). Lausanne has the advantage that it's French so I wouldn't have that many problems understranding. In Göteborg classes are in Swedish. But on the other hand I'm very interested in Scandinavia, so I'm not really sure yet.
Any help?
Yeah, that's what I thought as well, but a friend of mine said it was tough to stay there because of the weather,... that people in the South were more "friendly",...

OUT!
Nov 10th, 2004, 10:07 PM
No, in the UK, they don't want students for such a short time!Actually many UK universities have international students on yearly and/or short exchanges, so you're incorrect there.

Come-on-kim
Nov 10th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Actually many UK universities have international students on yearly and/or short exchanges, so you're incorrect there.
Hum... no, that's what the woman told us! Last year some students where going in the UK but they turned it down because they has to "block" a spot for 1 student during 3 years while he'll only be there for 6 months

Zoltan83
Nov 10th, 2004, 10:37 PM
I am studying Economy and can understand French, English and Dutch...

They are proposing us some countries :

Danemark (classes in English) (Copenhague or Aarhus)
Greece (classes in English (Athens) or Greek (Thessaloniki))
Germany (classes in German) (Berlin, Mannheim or Munich)
Spain (classes in Spanish mostly) (Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Vigo, Zaragoza)
France (classes in French) (Lille, Paris, Poitiers, Toulouse) -> not really interesting I guess as my mother tongue is French
Italy (classes in Italian) (Milan, Naples, Rome, Siena)
The Netherlands (classes in English) (Maastricht)
Portugal (classes in Portuguese mostly) (Coimbra, Faro, Lisboa)

Canada (in different cities... even at the prestigious McGill university)
Also, there're possibilities to go and studying in a Flemish university in Belgium (then my choice would be VUB or UGent) But, it's not really interesting for the "cultural" point of view for Erasmus

Out of thoses choices (judging with my languages possibilities), what would u pick?

Canada in first...
Language is not the most important factor for choising Erasmus imo

I'll go in Erasmus next year too and i'll go to Montreal. :)

smarties
Nov 10th, 2004, 11:35 PM
cool, peut-être qu'oin pourra se rencontrer!!!???

Come-on-kim
Nov 11th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Canada in first...
Language is not the most important factor for choising Erasmus imo

I'll go in Erasmus next year too and i'll go to Montreal. :)
But as my average of points was 15 last year, I have poor chances of being accepted by a canadian university :(

Andy_
Nov 11th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Wow, Axel! I'm excited for you! :bounce:

It's great that you have so many options to choose among... let me see... If you wanna rely on a language you already have a good command of, I think I'd choose København, if you're not afraid of cold weather. The place is really beautiful, the Danes are nice, open-minded (and good looking ;) ) and also Sweden is just across the bridge - you reach Malmö in like 20 minutes by train.

If you're up for a challenge and a change of atmosphere from Belgium, I think I'd pick Spain :hearts: as my destination! Among the options you have there I know pretty well three of the cities, and choosing would be tough... Barcelona is lovely, but you're very likely to end up facing not only Spanish but also Catalan, also in class... so that might not be the best choice. I'm especially fond of Zaragoza, so I might be biased... but in the end I'd probably pick Madrid. It's a very nice city, people are lively and they like to be out there to enjoy life... Obviously, you'd have to learn a new language, over there.

Oh, and in case you're up for new languages, don't forget Italy ;) Rome and Siena being way higher in my ranking than Milan and Naples. Just remember that Siena is definitely a precious gem of a city, but it's much smaller.

:kiss:

pan
Nov 11th, 2004, 08:52 AM
all my friends who have been to canada (for studying) were really impressed and happy to do this.
if it's not that important for you to have "sun, fun, baby" in your free-time (i would definately chose southern europe, just because of the weather) - and you say it's in january - go to BERLIN! you'll love it!

for germany: munich is beautiful, but expensive; mannheim is, sorry, next to munich and BERLIN, booooring!

Zoltan83
Nov 11th, 2004, 03:37 PM
cool, peut-être qu'oin pourra se rencontrer!!!???

oui peut-être bien. :) Cela pourrait être chouette.

But as my average of points was 15 last year, I have poor chances of being accepted by a canadian university :(

My average of points last year was below 15. So try Canada. I suppose that you can choose several destinations.

daniela86
Nov 11th, 2004, 04:16 PM
The problem with Canada is that it's too far from Belgium,you couldn't see your family every year.But i think it's a lovely country,I would like to go there one day.
But,I advise you to choose Greece,my sister visited it and it's beautiful (the food-the beaches,the nature, the cities full of history,the people... all is extremely wonderful),there is a totally different culture than the occidental's. :)

CooCooCachoo
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Why not try Maastricht? It's a really nice place to be in and it would work out with your language abilities. And it's not all that far off where you live now probably, so if you don't like it, you can rush home quick, which would be a lot harder if you're in Canada. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Maastricht University is renowned too. It's the best all-round University in The Netherlands, though I am not sure about their Economics program. You could try Rotterdam, which offers International Business Administration, which is what I am studying :) This program is in English :)

CooCooCachoo
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Also Bocconi, Milano, Italy is allegedly really good :yeah:

Whatever you choose, have fun :D

Hagar
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:55 PM
The Netherlands: 2 flies in 1 hit: studying abroad PLUS Dutch.
Germany: very good universities PLUS knowing German is an asset. Having studied there is also good on your CV.
Don't go to one of the southern countries. If I would see that on a CV, I would think someone has been a tourist for 6 months. I work with Europeans from different countries and my impression is that the educational level of the south is less good.

canuckfan
Nov 11th, 2004, 11:06 PM

It's really no that hard to be accepted by a canadian university (at least in Quebec), except maybe for McGill. But you could go to University of Montréal (where I go, it's the bigger one and it's in french), or Concordia (in english). Outside of Montreal there's University Laval in Québec City(in french) and it's a good one also. But in january it's freezing cold (-20 average). So if you want to come to Canada in the winter, I suggest you to go to a school on the west coast (University of Victoria, University of British Columbia or Simon Frasier University in Vancouver). The climate is better and overall it's one of the best place in the world.

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 12th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Pffft...Quebec's climate is heaven :angel: *going one month in florida during Xmas break* ;)

pan
Nov 12th, 2004, 09:16 AM
The problem with Canada is that it's too far from Belgium,you couldn't see your family every year.

i live in the same country as my parents; i study in the south, they live in the north. i visit them just two or three times per year and i'm still alive.
;)

Juan
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:05 PM
If you decide Spain, you should come to Zaragoza, it's cool :cool: . And I'm sure propi agrees with me ;) . It's not too big, people are very nice and there are lots of erasmus students here.

MS
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:46 PM
If you decide Spain, you should come to Valencia, we have a wonderful weather here (usually ;)), anyway, the problem is the same as in Barcelona, a regional language could confuse you. Many Erasmus students come here. You should try to get in touch with Erasmus students of the different cities and countries to know their opinion. Good luck!

Come-on-kim
Nov 12th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks all for the tips ;)

Keep going, it's really interesting