PDA

View Full Version : I need help from People from from America Del Sur please !

Kuti Kis&Monica
Nov 9th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Hi there

I have an important oral test to present next Thursday (11/18), on my class of "Cultura of America Latina". My them is "El tenis en America Del Sur".

I've began my work since last week, but i still need some testimonies from people from Argentina, Chile, Venezuela, Brazil, anyone from a pais d'America Del Sur. I know there are plenty of people from there on this board ;)

On these little writings, i'd need to know :

1/ How popular is tennis in your country ?
2/ Has there been an evolution about that popularity the last 20 years ?
3/ Are the actual tennis players from yr country known (famous) ( ejemplo : Gaudio or Suarez)
4/ Are the former tennis players known or popular ? (Vilas, Sabatini, Rios)
5/ Are the tennis players from abroad who are famous (Agassi, Sampras, Kournikova exemple)
6/ If U did go to a tournament in America del Sur (ATP/WTA), how expensive are the tickets ? Has there been a lots of crowd ? Is there a good promotion for the events ?
7/ When a player does have some good results, are there some impacts in yr federation ? ( exemple : Gaudio def. Coria in RG this year. Does the Argentinian federation install new possibilities of practice or detect new young talents ? ; Rios = Number one : does the federation did something special then ? )
8/ Are Davis Cup & Fed Cup known ?

Ok i'll stop here :p , U can answer me on that thread or by PM , it's like U want :)
Thanks by advance , i really hope some of U will help me :o :)
Matt

Tropical Sunrise
Nov 9th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Well I'm not from "America Del Sur", but I'm living in Barbados, so it's in the north part of South America:

1/ How popular is tennis in your country ?
Tennis isn't popular here, but I love this sport.

2/ Has there been an evolution about that popularity the last 20 years ?
Poor

3/ Are the actual tennis players from yr country known (famous) ( ejemplo : Gaudio or Suarez)
No, tennis isn't popular here as in Argentina or Chile

4/ Are the former tennis players known or popular ? (Vilas, Sabatini, Rios)
Not here ;)

5/ Are the tennis players from abroad who are famous (Agassi, Sampras, Kournikova exemple)
:o No ;)

6/ If U did go to a tournament in America del Sur (ATP/WTA), how expensive are the tickets ? Has there been a lots of crowd ? Is there a good promotion for the events ?
We don't have these sort of tournaments here ;)

7/ When a player does have some good results, are there some impacts in yr federation ? ( exemple : Gaudio def. Coria in RG this year. Does the Argentinian federation install new possibilities of practice or detect new young talents ? ; Rios = Number one : does the federation did something special then ? )

I'm not in Argentina ;)

8/ Are Davis Cup & Fed Cup known ?
yes, but not in the best group of the American Zone ;)

Kuti Kis&Monica
Nov 10th, 2004, 12:22 PM
I just can't believe that nobody is from America del Sur & able to help me about my questions :rolleyes:

Please :sobbing:

Fearful Jesuit
Nov 10th, 2004, 01:10 PM
well, I'm from Argentina.
1) yes, tennis is a popular sport here, obviously, not as soccer is...
2) it depends of the success of the players (during the '70s and '80s thennis had a big popularity, due to the careers of Vilas and Clerc, the '90s was a poor decade, and now we have a generation of great players)
3) yes they are
4) of course!
5) yes
6) there are a big crowd of people in Davis Cup and ATP Cup, not in Fed Cup; I don't know how expensive the tickets are
7) I don't know
8) yes
I hope I would be helpful, regards from Mar del Plata (Guillermo Vilas hometown!) :wavey: