PDA

View Full Version : Swimmer Michael Phelps arrested for drunk driving

Tennis Fool
Nov 8th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Monday, November 8, 2004
Phelps arrested Thursday in Maryland

ESPN.com news services

Six-time Olympic champion swimmer Michael Phelps apologized Monday for his arrest last week on charges of driving under the influence in Salisbury, Md.

http://espn.go.com/media/oly/2004/0820/photo/phelps_m.jpgPhelps

"I made a mistake and I wanted to share my feelings about it," Phelps told ESPN The Magazine's Eric Adelson. "Getting into a car with anything to drink is wrong. It's dangerous and it's unacceptable. I'm 19, but was taught that no matter how old you are, you take responsibility for actions, which I will do.

"I'm extremely sorry."

A state trooper observed Phelps fail to heed a stop sign in his 2005 SUV in Salisbury at approximately 11:50 p.m. Thursday, according to a statement released by state police. Police cited Phelps for driving under the influence of alcohol, driving while impaired for alcohol, violation for a license restriction and failure to obey a traffic control device.

After signing the traffic citations, Phelps was released at approximately 1 a.m. Friday into the custody of a friend, police said. There were two other unnamed individuals in the vehicle at the time of Phelps' arrest. According to a news release, Phelps was fully cooperative with police.

Police did not give specific details of Phelps' alcohol content, although the legal limit is .08 in Maryland. The release said any statements or observations from the arresting trooper or results of tests were considered evidence and would not be discussed pending court proceedings. Phelps will have to appear in court at a future date, where he can decide whether to enter a plea or go to trial.

He won a record-tying eight medals, including six golds, at the Athens Games in August.

Phelps, wearing a Baltimore Ravens jersey, was introduced to the crowd before the team's game Sunday night.

ptkten
Nov 8th, 2004, 09:36 PM
This is kind of off topic, but I think it's ridiculous that the drinking age here in the U.S. is 21.

Now if he was really drunk, then it's a bad thing and I'm glad he apologized

Sally Struthers
Nov 8th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I'd like to extend a warm welcome to Michael Phelps. He's now an A list Celebrity-Athlete. You don't get into the club without an arrest or other felony.

jenny161185
Nov 8th, 2004, 10:01 PM
how does he have a 2005 car??? its only 2004!

jbone_0307
Nov 8th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Why didn't they charge him wit underage drinking??? Which could carry jail time.

beauty_is_pink
Nov 8th, 2004, 10:08 PM
stupid stupid stupid.

i'll body search him :hehehe:

Crazy Canuck
Nov 8th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Quite stupid, but unfortunately a lot of teenagers drive when under the influence. At least they do where I'm from. After a while you realize that there is no use telling them how stupid they are... they don't care. What you do is make a point of not getting into a vehicle with them.

Regardless, at least he's being a good sport about it. Mind you, I'm sure that his agents have advised him to be. What with 2343 endorsements on the line, it's better to come across as the good guy who screwed up and is owning up to it, than to be the asshole who just doesn't care.

bw2082
Nov 8th, 2004, 10:35 PM
how does he have a 2005 car??? its only 2004!

new 2005 models come out mid year the prior year

grmbl
Nov 8th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Stupido!!

Rtael
Nov 9th, 2004, 12:26 AM
:rolleyes: DUI should = mandatory jail time. Period.

Shenanigans
Nov 9th, 2004, 01:32 AM
It was stupid but believe you me alot of people still do it.

JLDementieva
Nov 9th, 2004, 02:34 AM
I hope he doesn't get away with this, this is unacceptable behavior, he should know better! So much for his good boy image :rolleyes:

ptkten
Nov 9th, 2004, 02:42 AM
First of all I will say that this was very stupid of him.

However, I don't know where you guys are from but drunk driving is not only common, it is rampant, I would bet over half of the people that I know drink and drive. U.S. drinking and driving laws just aren't as strict as other places for people to think there are consequences. I think the U.S. focuses too much on keeping the legal drinking age up instead of having consequences for drunk driving.

That being said, I don't know where you're getting this that he would have jail time for underage drinking :confused: Maybe he would have to stay in jail for one night for that, but that's only so you can sober up. It would be over the top according to the law for him to get jail time for this, it's not because he's famous.

Paldias
Nov 9th, 2004, 03:05 AM
That's definetely not on the diet ;)

jbone_0307
Nov 9th, 2004, 03:09 AM
OK, so just because the whole country does it, makes the charges less severe?? Drinking underage is ILLEGAL PERIOD! That is operating machinery under the influence, underage drinking, and whatever else. I dont think people would be saying this if he would have gotten in an accident.

Tennis Fool
Nov 9th, 2004, 03:51 AM
This is kind of off topic, but I think it's ridiculous that the drinking age here in the U.S. is 21.

Now if he was really drunk, then it's a bad thing and I'm glad he apologized21 is kind of high when you think of having the ability to marry and vote by the time you are 18.

However, it's kept at 21, I believe, because of the high incidence of teen age d&d. Teens just don't know when to quit.

BTW, Marat Safin, when he was 20, said one of the reasons he would never move here was because of the drinking age.

Berlin_Calling
Nov 9th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Very bad Michael, lol.

Julian
Nov 9th, 2004, 04:07 AM
wow wat can i say

this guy is livin life!! lol

fame, fortune, gettin wasted! i wish i was michael phelps

haha

SJW
Nov 9th, 2004, 08:26 AM
so that's underage drinking and driving while over the limit.

yea, great role model :rolleyes:

flyingmachine
Nov 9th, 2004, 10:38 AM
It's sounds like he's a normal guy afterall. ;)

Fat Frog
Nov 9th, 2004, 11:21 AM
:rolleyes: DUI should = mandatory jail time. Period.

don't be stupid. jails are already crowded enough and there are far worse criminals that the police should be focusing on catching.

however u'd think a celebrity like himself would be able to afford a taxi?

On a seperate note..at what age do young people in America start to drink usually (illegally i mean) ? I do think a 21 yr age limit is ridiculous (but then a lot of things in America are)

Mrs. Peel
Nov 9th, 2004, 03:40 PM
America's "Golden Boy" will get over this...he's got the right complexion :tape:

Mrs. Peel
Nov 9th, 2004, 03:41 PM
don't be stupid. jails are already crowded enough and there are far worse criminals that the police should be focusing on catching.

On a seperate note..at what age do young people in America start to drink usually (illegally i mean) ? I do think a 21 yr age limit is ridiculous (but then a lot of things in America are)
:tape:

and if you can't even stop at the stop sign...you are a stupid drunk :rolleyes:

Ryan
Nov 9th, 2004, 06:57 PM
What a fucktard. :rolleyes: If he doesn't go to jail, there should be a HEFTY fine. Since jails are for "more important" criminals per sey, then offenders should be fined a certain amount...according to their salary.:) So Joe Blow pays $600 some-odd dollars, while Mr. Phelps' check has to be made out for much more. :)

croat123
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:23 PM
:retard: don't understand y the drinking age is so high here, but you have to be retarded to drink and drive

jbone_0307
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:29 PM
The reason why its so high is because of people like him(Phelps). I think the age is appropriate, because its a mind altering, addictive drug.

Rtael
Nov 9th, 2004, 10:44 PM

I think you're the one who needs to stop being stupid. Drunk driving kills. Period.

Tennis Fool
Nov 10th, 2004, 04:22 AM
He won't get it though. Just a suspended sentence with 30 hours of community service where he has to speak to 8th graders about the wrongs of D&D.

Just watch. It's the celebrity way :)