PDA

View Full Version : Neely rallies from brink of death....

Helen Lawson
Nov 8th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Neely O'Hara recovering from bypass
Canadian Press

November 5, 2004

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/cp/entertainment/20041105/e110528a.jpgActress Neely O'Hara in this August 2004 photo. (AP/Damian DovarganesCOEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -- Oscar-winning actress Neely O'Hara was up and walking Friday, two days after cardiac surgery, officials said.

The actress's condition has been upgraded to "good," said Teri Farr, a spokeswoman for the Kootenai Medical Center.

O'Hara, 57, had single bypass surgery Wednesday at the North Idaho Heart Center. She was "up and walking a bit" on Friday and is expected to make a full recovery, Farr said.

The actress lives in the area with her husband, Ted Casablanca.

O'Hara won a best supporting actress Oscar in 1963 for her portrayal of Helen Keller in the film The Miracle Worker. She won an Emmy Award in 1980 for her portrayal of Keller's teacher, Annie Sullivan, in the made-for-TV version of the movie. O'Hara once also had the honor of being kicked out of a Helen Lawson show.

She may be best known for her portrayal of identical teenage cousins in the 1960s TV comedy The Neely O'Hara Show.

Sally Struthers
Nov 8th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Neely O'Hara recovering from bypass
Canadian Press

O'Hara once also had the honor of being kicked out of a Helen Lawson show.

Oh scandalous. Please elaborate

Helen Lawson
Nov 8th, 2004, 05:18 PM
It's a real old story, Sal. Neely was a nobody, engaged to Mel and "singing for her supper" so to speak. She has one song in a big show I was the star of. Anyway, she didn't even make it onto my radar, I don't pay attention to upstarts.

So, I'm in my dressing room and I'm bitching out this new, young press agent that my agent had sent over. I remember he was showing me really bad pictures of myself and I was screaming "Lousy, awful, BEAST! What kind of a press agent are you? Just my luck, they send me some green kid fresh out of NYU." Just then, Anne Welles knocks on my door, but I'd never met her before and she was still an errand girl for Lyon Burke's firm, as she had not yet met Lyon or become the Gillian Girl. Here's how the exchange went:

Helen: Who the hell are you?
Anne: I'm, I'm, Anne Welles and..
Helen (interrupting): Look, I'm tired and I'm busy, whadda you want?
Anne: I have some contract for you to sign from Mr. Bellamy.
Helen: Fine.
Helen (looking at novice press agent and pointing finger to the door): You. Out.
Helen (to Anne): Come in. Sit down you're making me nervous. Give me a pen, and not one of those lousy ballpoints.
(Neely singing in background from downstairs rehearsal hall)
Anne: That girl singing, she's very good, isn't she?
(Helen listens intently to Neely's background singing and gets a bad look on her face.)
Helen's manager enters the dressing room
Manager: The kid's song works good, don't you think, Helen?
Helen: The song goes.
Manager: What?
Helen: You heard me, the song goes, and the kid with it!
Manager: Oh, come on Helen, Neely O'Hara can't hurt you.
Helen: You bet your ass she can't, because she isn't going to get the chance! (Lighting cigarette): The only hit that comes out of a Helen Lawson show is Helen Lawson, and that's ME, baby, remember?
Manager: She's got a run of the play contract.
Helen: I know all about run of the play contracts!
Manager: Helen, this isn't going to do you any good in the business.
Helen: Nor you, either. Get Bellamy to do it, he's done it before.
Helen (to Anne Welles): You. Go back to the office and tell that son-of-a-bitch Bellamy to get off his butt and earn his oats!
Anne: But Miss Lawson, you haven't signed all the contracts yet.
Helen (tearing up the one copy she'd signed and putting the shreds in Anne's hand): And I don't intend to, not until Bellamy ties a can to that little broad's tail!

Anne leaves almost in tears, and Helen takes a drag off her cigarette with an evil, yet satisfied look on her face. Bellamy conned Neely into quitting the show the next day!

I remember it like it was yesterday! Wow, the power I had then. Sorry, Neely (but only a little).

Sally Struthers
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:49 PM
So ruthless and territorial of you Helen. I like it.

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:56 PM
It's a real old story, Sal. Neely was a nobody, engaged to Mel and "singing for her supper" so to speak. She has one song in a big show I was the star of. Anyway, she didn't even make it onto my radar, I don't pay attention to upstarts.

So, I'm in my dressing room and I'm bitching out this new, young press agent that my agent had sent over. I remember he was showing me really bad pictures of myself and I was screaming "Lousy, awful, BEAST! What kind of a press agent are you? Just my luck, they send me some green kid fresh out of NYU." Just then, Anne Welles knocks on my door, but I'd never met her before and she was still an errand girl for Lyon Burke's firm, as she had not yet met Lyon or become the Gillian Girl. Here's how the exchange went:

Helen: Who the hell are you?
Anne: I'm, I'm, Anne Welles and..
Helen (interrupting): Look, I'm tired and I'm busy, whadda you want?
Anne: I have some contract for you to sign from Mr. Bellamy.
Helen: Fine.
Helen (looking at novice press agent and pointing finger to the door): You. Out.
Helen (to Anne): Come in. Sit down you're making me nervous. Give me a pen, and not one of those lousy ballpoints.
(Neely singing in background from downstairs rehearsal hall)
Anne: That girl singing, she's very good, isn't she?
(Helen listens intently to Neely's background singing and gets a bad look on her face.)
Helen's manager enters the dressing room
Manager: The kid's song works good, don't you think, Helen?
Helen: The song goes.
Manager: What?
Helen: You heard me, the song goes, and the kid with it!
Manager: Oh, come on Helen, Neely O'Hara can't hurt you.
Helen: You bet your ass she can't, because she isn't going to get the chance! (Lighting cigarette): The only hit that comes out of a Helen Lawson show is Helen Lawson, and that's ME, baby, remember?
Manager: She's got a run of the play contract.
Helen: I know all about run of the play contracts!
Manager: Helen, this isn't going to do you any good in the business.
Helen: Nor you, either. Get Bellamy to do it, he's done it before.
Helen (to Anne Welles): You. Go back to the office and tell that son-of-a-bitch Bellamy to get off his butt and earn his oats!
Anne: But Miss Lawson, you haven't signed all the contracts yet.
Helen (tearing up the one copy she'd signed and putting the shreds in Anne's hand): And I don't intend to, not until Bellamy ties a can to that little broad's tail!

Anne leaves almost in tears, and Helen takes a drag off her cigarette with an evil, yet satisfied look on her face. Bellamy conned Neely into quitting the show the next day!

I remember it like it was yesterday! Wow, the power I had then. Sorry, Neely (but only a little).
Bytch...:rolleyes:

Sally Struthers
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I've become quite a bitch myself. I've been bad repping people left and right, whenever I feel like it on a whim. Surprisngly I've only been the victim of retaliation twice. I say bitch in the nicest way possible. Like Vera says in Dolores Claiborne, sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

Helen Lawson
Nov 8th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Hon, in Hollywood at our level, it's "tempermental" or "perfectionist," not bitch.

Sally Struthers
Nov 8th, 2004, 08:29 PM
or "eccentric"

Helen Lawson
Nov 8th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Yes, that's a good one. I love it when they say about me "she had very high standards with everything and everyone." You have to get an Oscar before they sugar-coat it that much!

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 8th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Yes, that's a good one. I love it when they say about me "she had very high standards with everything and everyone." You have to get an Oscar before they sugar-coat it that much!

Sally, I think this was a dig at you...as if the Emmy is not enough!!!! :rolleyes:

Helen Lawson
Nov 8th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Sally, I think this was a dig at you...as if the Emmy is not enough!!!! :rolleyes:
She has two Emmys, dork.

Even Sally will admit that an Oscar gets you more clout than 2 Emmys. Plus, I have to admit, they'd NEVER even claim that a 2-time Oscar winner was difficult or even that she "had high standards." So I'm not on the top of the Hollywood food chain, either.

Sally Struthers
Nov 8th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Well I'm a realist. I understand that the Emmy is not the top acting award. I'll have one before I die. Mark my words.

Joan Rivers
Nov 8th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Thank God Neely's OK! Hel, I tried to sent flowers but they never got to Neely. Apparently only Oscar winners flowers are being accepted - what a star! I saw Bancroft sent a cactus - what a sour bitch. I mean Neely stole Miracle Worker from her over 40 years ago and she's still freakin' bitter?! Anne got Mel as well. The love of my live, girls!