PDA

View Full Version : How Can I recover info on an old hard drive?

Peter M
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:34 PM
My old laptop broke a few years ago. When I brought it to Circuit City, they put in a new hard drive and handed me the one that they took out. They said that, if I wanted to, I could recover some of the lost info on it.

How do I go about doing that and about how much money does it cost?

Thanks!

Fingon
Nov 8th, 2004, 12:22 AM
that depends how damaged the harddrive is.

If you have just deleted the info, or formatted the drive or even deleted the partitions, you could probably recover the info yourself with the right software.

but if there is damage to the hardware, then you will need to take it to a lab, and the bill would be astronomical, unless the info is really valuable you won't want to do that.

ys
Nov 8th, 2004, 12:39 AM
There could be a lot of possibilities. You just need to know what exactly is wrong with the hard-drive, if anything..

One scenario that actually happened to me. One of my harddrives died because something happened to its card.. You probably can't buy a card alone, but buying a working harddrive of the same model on Ebay is a piece of cake. So I did that. manually replaced the card on the harddrive. Plugged it back and it was back alive.. Of course, if you bring the laptop with such HD to the shop, they will simply replace the whole HD.

There are a lot of scenarios. I agree with Fignon that mechanically broken HD will be very expensive to fix, even if the storage on it is still intact.

Fingon
Nov 8th, 2004, 12:43 AM
There could be a lot of possibilities. You just need to know what exactly is wrong with the hard-drive, if anything..

One scenario that actually happened to me. One of my harddrives died because something happened to its card.. You probably can't buy a card alone, but buying a working harddrive of the same model on Ebay is a piece of cake. So I did that. manually replaced the card on the harddrive. Plugged it back and it was back alive.. Of course, if you bring the laptop with such HD to the shop, they will simply replace the whole HD.

There are a lot of scenarios. I agree with Fignon that mechanically broken HD will be very expensive to fix, even if the storage on it is still intact.
you are right, if it's just the controller you can replace it and have it working.

I was thinking more of the case one plate is broken, then you need a lab.