PDA

View Full Version : Tszyu defends crown - Sharmba No Match For Da Champ!

go hingis
Nov 7th, 2004, 10:52 AM
What a great fight from the greatest champion!

Go KOSTYA!!!!!

Hello, can't believe there's nothing on this yet!!!

Oh yeah, American's Crying, Australians Still Partying, LOL

Tszyu defends crown

Australian Kostya Tszyu has retained his International Boxing Federation super lightweight title with a third-round knockout of American Sharmba Mitchell in Phoenix.

In his first fight for nearly two years, Tszyu looked to have lost none of his speed and power as he completely dominated Mitchell throughout the short bout.

Mitchell hit the canvas three times before Tszyu knocked him out 2 minutes 48 seconds into the third round.

"I was very surprised he kept getting up," Tszyu told AFP. "To come back like he did shows what a great champion Sharmba Mitchell is."

"I told you I had a surprise, but I never expected this fight to end so early."

"I knew all along that the right hand would work for me. I worked really hard. I was very confident. This is a great knockout and great victory for me," he said.

Russian-born Tszyu was on the attack from the first bell, coming foward to Mitchell and, despite cutting his nose in an accidental clash of heads, fought out the round convincingly.

Tszyu had Mitchell on the canvas for the first time early in the second after two huge rights and, although the American was up before the count was over, he looked to be in trouble.

Mitchell landed two good lefts late in the round, which momentarily stopped the Aussie, however another right on the bell from Tszyu almost had the American down again.

Another huge right from Tszyu early in the third had Mitchell down a second time and, although the American managed to stand again he looked to be in serious bother.

With a huge welt forming over his right eye, Mitchell had no answer to Tszyu's punches as the crowd started chanting the Australian's name.

After beating a third count, Mitchell was eventually floored for good as the referee elected to stop the fight after a flurry of punches from Tszyu sent the American down for a fourth and final time.

"I believe the two years off has only added longevity to my career," Tszyu said. "I am smarter than I was. The time off gave me a lot of time to think. I know how to fight, and I studied and worked very hard for this. It was two years in the making."

It is the second time Tszyu has beaten Mitchell after stopping him in their previous fight back in February 2001.

Martina Hingis to make the same comeback after two years off!!!!!!!!!!

go hingis
Nov 8th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Common this is a message board for A sport. NO ONE was interested in this fight?????

LMAOOOOO