PDA

View Full Version : ok, who will be the US candidates in 2008?

Fingon
Nov 7th, 2004, 01:45 AM
and no, it's not too early, you can bet your ass the republican party is seriously thinking about that, the democratic party should as well.

If the liberals in the US want to win the 2008 election, they need to start working today.

The republicans traditionally rely less in charismatic candidates, they normally offer a leader that seems to know what he wants and how to do it.

The democrats on the other hand, seem to base their proposal to the nation more on the candidate's charisma. All the democrat presidents in the last 70 years have been charismatic (with the exception of Johnson and Truman, but Johnson was Kennedy's vice-president, and Truman was Rooselvelt vice-president, they got the top job initially because the charismatic president died).

I believe the democrats needs to emphasize more their platform and less the candidate. I believe they have to forget about things like condecorations or whether they were in Vietnam or not, or whether they win a tv debate or not, but they need to explain their ideas clearly, and they need to realize what's important for Americans at the time of the election. Terrorism was obviously the excluding matter in this election and IMO the democrats failed to explain clearly what they were going to do. That's a mistake and they paid dearly for that.

They haven't had a charismatic candidate since Clinton and they can't bet to have one in 2008, they have to learn to win elections without a charismatic candidate.

Now, who are the possible candidates in 2008, for both parties?

Republicans:

G. W. Bush is out of the picture.
Jeb Bush? Possibly, I think the Bush family would love to be able to say that a father and two children were president of the United States, and he obviously can command the same forces that put his brother in power, but I think that although Jeb Bush will eventually be a candidate, it won't be in 2008, the reason is that even is dubya does a good job I don't think voters are going to accept one Bush succeeding another, it would look like an hereditary monarchy.
Colin Powell? maybe, he has prestige, even outside the republican party. Some may say that as black he wouldn't stand a chance but he IS the State Secretary. He is black but conservative, and he is conservative but more liberal than the rest, he wouldn't be a bad choice.
Rumsfeld? no, too old
Cheney? too sick
Aschcroft? too dull
Schwarzennegger?, he could gurantee a third republican period. But they need to change the constitution, I can only see them doing that if they are too desperate.

The Democrats:

Kerry? I heard he is not really interested and it's not common that a defeated candidate tries again.
Gore? give me a break.
Edwards? read above.
That guy the Illinois candidate. Well, it would be necessary first that I can remember his name without looking it up, I think he is politically too young, and I don't believe the conservative american would accept him for now, possibly in the future.

I am not too much into american politicians, except for the very known ones, so I am sure I am missing some important names.

Fingon
Nov 7th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Condi Rice vs. Hil Clinton 2008. How exciting would that be?
it would be but I can't imagine two women competing for the US presidency, I don't think the establishment would accept that.

mboyle
Nov 7th, 2004, 02:42 AM
Hillary Clinton would lose. She is a New York liberal, which is just as taboo as a Massachusetts liberal.

Jeb Bush is going to be president. Floridians love him, latinos love his wife (and they are loving the GOP more and more anyways,) and the GOP base will be just as obsessively behind him as they are Dubya.

The Democrats are kind of leaderless at this point. Maybe Gephardt? He might actually win, but he doesn't want to run, so he says. Yeah, I say Gephardt gets the nomination, and, honestly, I wouldn't mind having him as pres. If he gets nominated, the GOP had better hope that McCain is somewhere on the ticket. I am convinced that if McCain ever gets nominated (hard to do seeing as he is a moderate and the GOP base hates moderates,) he would win over 500 electoral votes. Any man I listed here I would support as pres. I think I would prefer McCain, but JB is cool too. Imagine having a pres election where you had trouble choosing because you liked both so much:o ...

mboyle
Nov 7th, 2004, 02:44 AM
May I just say that I really really REALLY love Condi Rice? I want Powell/Rice on the ticket:hearts: :hearts: ! They'd win in a landslide too, but neither wants the job.

Sam L
Nov 7th, 2004, 02:49 AM
it would be but I can't imagine two women competing for the US presidency, I don't think the establishment would accept that.
Not to mention that Hilary Clinton would be an assasination target. And a black woman leading the GOP? I just don't see it, even if it's Condi.

Sam L
Nov 7th, 2004, 02:50 AM
May I just say that I really really REALLY love Condi Rice? I want Powell/Rice on the ticket:hearts: :hearts: ! They'd win in a landslide too, but neither wants the job.
It may come as a shock to you but the conservative south would probably prefer two Democrats over them too. :eek: I think you're deluding yourself.

Barrie_Dude
Nov 7th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Dems will likely go with Hilary.

MisterQ
Nov 7th, 2004, 06:48 AM
I don't know if they are willing, but I think John McCain and Rudy Guliani are charismatic and intelligent Republicans who can think for themselves and appeal to a wide base. I disagree with some of their politics, but also admire them in many ways. As a democrat, I hope they do not run... :lol: ;)

Colin Powell has always garnered a lot of respect. I do believe that he lost some face in the past four years, however. Bush has put Powell in some difficult situations.

The Democrats don't seem to have any candidate who stands out without some significant factors working against them. Obama has a great future ahead of him. 2008 may be too soon for him to run for President. But if things get desperate, I don't think they should rule him out.

Personally, I would like to see Hillary Clinton give it a go, but she will have a VERY tough time doing damage in the so-called "red states." Edwards is an option --- but the fact that he didn't even gain much support for the ticket in his home state this year is troubling.

I hope the Dems can find a good candidate.

I Love Sharapova
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Republican Candidate: John McCain

Democrat Candidate: Ummm, either Hillary Clinton or John Edwards

go hingis
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:59 AM
LOL> I'm still waiting for them to find out Bush and Howard cheated.

IMO>I'm thinking of starting to look into how the voting works because these two should be in jail not leading countries.IMO

Barrie_Dude
Nov 7th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Republican Candidate: John McCain

Democrat Candidate: Ummm, either Hillary Clinton or John EdwardsJohn Edwards will no longer be in the Senate. He did not stand for re election from North Carolina and a Republican won his seat! :haha:

LindsayRulez
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Hell yeah!! Condoleeza Rice vs. Hilary Clinton!! Even though I definitely want Hilary, I could deal with Condoleeza because I find her to be a very intelligent, well-spoken woman, even if she is Republican lol

matthias
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Condi Rice vs. Hil Clinton 2008. How exciting would that be?
i really hope Hillary will go for President

Steff_forever
Nov 7th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Jeb Bush? Possibly, I think the Bush family would love to be able to say that a father and two children were president of the United States, and he obviously can command the same forces that put his brother in power, but I think that although Jeb Bush will eventually be a candidate, it won't be in 2008, the reason is that even is dubya does a good job I don't think voters are going to accept one Bush succeeding another, it would look like an hereditary monarchy. I think an oligarchy in that family is already on the way, so why not Jeb B. ?
But let's see how this dull conservatism culminates in the new administration. Maybe we get Wolfowitz in 2008 - declaring WWIII to Vietnam and North Korea then ...

Colin Powell? no, much too liberal and made too many apparent Hollywood-mistakes in front of the UN-crowd

Rumsfeld? no, too old right, but that mummy will live on under president Wolfowitz

Ashcroft? too dull yes

Schwarzennegger?, he could gurantee a third republican period. But they need to change the constitution, I can only see them doing that if they are too desperate. Arni will be needed in CA to take 55 elv's for the GOP

Condolizaaaaaaa Rice? no, never. By far too less charisma ... (and a member of a minority, omg ...)
================================================== ====

Democrats:

most likely to me: JOHN EDWARDS
clever, wise, charisma, antipode to eight years of madness ...
and
still in good age then ! (not too young and not too old)

Hillary Clinton ? a dream, but too European (what 50% Americans will hate in 2008 ;) ), a woman with too much brain ... (arguments havn't even worked in 2004 so why should they in 2008?)

Obama ? African roots ... No. Conservativs dislike foreign influence (as we've seen)
50%[ < x < ]55%[ ]

my prediction for 2008

[b]PAUL WOLFOWITZ [extreme right winged] ~vs~ JOHN EDWARDS [LIBERAL, for some COMMUNIST ;) ]
polarized 2008 campaign as Americans want it, white vs. black, no shades of grey ...

ptkten
Nov 7th, 2004, 03:12 PM
There could be surprises as to who will run and get the nomination. For the Dems, look for New Mexico governor Bill Richardson and senator Evan Bayh. They're both moderate and Richardson appeals to the latinos. Bill Frist will probably run in the Republican primaries.

AjdeNate!
Nov 7th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evan Bayh (D-Indiana)
Barrak Obama (D-Illinois)
Hilary Rodham Clinton (D-New York)
John Edwards (D-North Carolina)
Howard Dean (D-shoulda been the candidate this time)

vs.

Jeb Bush (R-Bushlandia)

Richie77
Nov 7th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Bayh would be a great candidate :bounce: He is a Democrat, tried and true, but he's moderate enough to appeal to conservative voters. Bayh is also a life-long Hoosier, so there's no way Republicans could tie him to the "Northeast liberal" crowd...in fact, his opponent did that in this year's senate race, and it didn't work at all.

I would say Bayh/Obama for the 2008 Democrat ticket :yeah:

!<blocparty>!
Nov 7th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Hil Clinton v OPRAH!

How exiting would that be? :p

Bacardi
Nov 7th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Powell would probably be the better choice for the Republicans. But lets face it, the South, no matter how Pro Republican they are, will never elect a black man as president. They are still just as backwards and racist in most of the states Bush won as they were in 1950!

I heard Ruddi Gulliani (former something of NY) might be the Republican choice.

I hope Hilary isn't the one for the Dems. As she'd certainly lose. Because once again, the southerners are too fucking ass backwards to ever elect a black or a woman President. They'd think it meant Jesus would come back and punish them if they did. :rolleyes:

jbone_0307
Nov 7th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Rudy Guiliani is a joke. He was the mayor of NY city and just credits G.W.B. too much for bringing the national unity after 9/11, when in fact the citizens did it themselves. He is just as looney as Bush is.

I say Hillary/Bill and Jeb Bush/?? for 2004. Hillary has the possibility to win if her husband were her running mate. I also think she would appeal to most outgoing woman. Obama is not experienced enough and wouldn't feel comfortable with him in power just for that reason. I think its a given that Jeb Bush is on the ticket for the 2008 elections

Circe
Nov 7th, 2004, 06:49 PM
i don't think Bill ( :hearts: ) would be eligible.

ideally i'd prefer for the GOP to put up McCain since he's possibly the one Repub prez i think i wouldnt mind.

powell has little credibility as far as i'm concerned. one gets the impression that he has little or no say in the Bush cabinet and tries to make up for it by giving the impression that he's responsible for everything good that happens elsewhere.

condi? blah! even if it wasnt for her being a black woman (and therefore a most unlikely candidate) i don't think she should be the nations president (well neither does bush, so you never know)

guiliani? dont know that he's interested and don't think he has the mass appeal to rally the base around him.

arnie? i wouldnt mind so much but again he might come off as too moderate.

ashcroft? if he gets a look-in, forget about civil rights. really. and look forward to sunday mass becoming mandatory.

i say GOP goes for Jeb Bush of maybe McCain if he can swing the nomination.

as for the Dems its impossible to say they seem sort of rudderless. hillary might pull a nomination but she's not going to pull an electoral win.
dean perhaps but again i dont know if he's winnable.
obama...not yet, not for a while.
we'll have to wait and watch the party for a while.

I Love Sharapova
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Powell would probably be the better choice for the Republicans. But lets face it, the South, no matter how Pro Republican they are, will never elect a black man as president. They are still just as backwards and racist in most of the states Bush won as they were in 1950!

I heard Ruddi Gulliani (former something of NY) might be the Republican choice.

I hope Hilary isn't the one for the Dems. As she'd certainly lose. Because once again, the southerners are too fucking ass backwards to ever elect a black or a woman President. They'd think it meant Jesus would come back and punish them if they did. :rolleyes:
Bacardi,you almost always speak with ignorance.

Bacardi
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Honestly Sharapova, tell me. Do you see the South voting for a black man, or a woman? You say you are from Texas. So tell me, do you see Texans voting for Powell or Hilary come '08?

I've lived in VA, TN, NC, and SC. And I can tell you, in all 4 of those states, they'd rather vote for the Independant Candidate than Powell or Hilary.

I'd vote for Hilary, but honestly..... how many other southerners are even remotely open minded enough to vote for a woman?

I Love Sharapova
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Honestly Sharapova, tell me. Do you see the South voting for a black man, or a woman? You say you are from Texas. So tell me, do you see Texans voting for Powell or Hilary come '08?

I've lived in VA, TN, NC, and SC. And I can tell you, in all 4 of those states, they'd rather vote for the Independant Candidate than Powell or Hilary.

I'd vote for Hilary, but honestly..... how many other southerners are even remotely open minded enough to vote for a woman?
To be honmest,Bacardi, I myself would rather vote for an independent candidate then I would a Republican or Democrat. The two major political parties have this country screwed up.

Bacardi
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Yes, that's true. And instead of attacking me in either thread just think about what I'm saying. If you're from the south, you know a degree of it rings true. BTW, the Independant party I actually side more with, but for the other 98% of the population, the Independant party doesn't exist.

I also wonder, how come they kept Nader off the ballot in VA? It seems like that should be illegal.

ys
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:30 PM
It will be Gore vs Bush, I think..

I Love Sharapova
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Yes, that's true. And instead of attacking me in either thread just think about what I'm saying. If you're from the south, you know a degree of it rings true. BTW, the Independant party I actually side more with, but for the other 98% of the population, the Independant party doesn't exist.

I also wonder, how come they kept Nader off the ballot in VA? It seems like that should be illegal.
Bacardi, I'd say that Powell would have a chance to carry Texas because he is conservative. Not only is he a conservative, he is a black conservative which is an oddity itself. Most Texans are awed by his ability to push conservative ideology.
As for Nader, the truth is that the biggest fear Repubs. and Dems have is that there will one day be an independent President. They will fight against it for as long as they can. The Republicans and Democrats believe that if an independent ever takes office, it will be the destruction of their parties. :rolleyes:

Bacardi
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Dems and Repubs might fear it, but I don't see it becoming a reality for at least another 100 years. I'd much rather have had Nader in office than Bush or Kerry. He wasn't on the ticket here, and he wasn't even included in the debates. He'd probably have kicked both their asses.

I Love Sharapova
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Dems and Repubs might fear it, but I don't see it becoming a reality for at least another 100 years. I'd much rather have had Nader in office than Bush or Kerry. He wasn't on the ticket here, and he wasn't even included in the debates. He'd probably have kicked both their asses.
You are probably right about Nader. In 1992, if Ross Perot would have stayed in the race I think he might have won. He dropped out and got back into it and still wound up with 19% of the vote. One has to wonder what would have happened if he hadn't of dropped out. :)

Bacardi
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:41 PM
The only positive I've noticed thus far for Independants. Is in my county and a lot of surrounding ones, the Independants have won a lot of the local offices. Even over the money backed Dem and Rep ticket members. So that's a good sign.

Nader at least had the good sense to be for gay marriage, and gay addoption.

I Love Sharapova
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:47 PM
The only positive I've noticed thus far for Independants. Is in my county and a lot of surrounding ones, the Independants have won a lot of the local offices. Even over the money backed Dem and Rep ticket members. So that's a good sign.

Nader at least had the good sense to be for gay marriage, and gay addoption.
I'm not going to discuss the gay issue. I have my own opinions on that and I don't think it really jives with most of the posters on this board. However, I think that within the next 20-30 years there will be a viable independent candidate to the forefront.

Fingon
Nov 8th, 2004, 12:34 AM

honestly, I don't think so, regarding Hillary or Rice. I think it's more difficult for a woman to be elected than for a man.

But I think that with the right campaign, Powell does have a chance, he is from West Point, he has prestige even though some people are dissapointed with him.

I think Powell looks moderate enough to convince some centrists to vote him.

It's right that the conservatives wouldn't want a black as President but, first of all, remember that Powell is not standing up for the rights of his race. He has a different skin colour and probably is a little more intellectual than the rest of the cabinet, but he is a conservative.

The way he can be sold is giving the idea that the Republicans could be the first party to have a black candidate, they could use it to look as moderate and open-minded. If the conservative republicans could bring a black candidate before the liberal democrats that would silence most of the criticism, and precisely because of his race, Powell would be more difficult to attack, both inside and outside the US.

More important, the conservative might think they can control Powell better than anyone else, which might or might not be true. I think that with the right strategy, he can win.

polishprodigy
Nov 8th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Democrat Hillary Clinton vs. Republican Rudy Giulliani

The battle of New York ;)

pcrtennis
Nov 8th, 2004, 12:42 AM
GO POWELL IN 2008! Or Guiliani!!!!!! or Sen. Lauretta Washington!!!!!!!

Sam L
Nov 8th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Hil Clinton v OPRAH!

How exiting would that be? :p
Oprah is Democrat I think, although she wouldn't come out and say it.

chapel
Nov 8th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Democrat Hillary Clinton vs. Republican Rudy Giulliani

The battle of New York ;)
i worship rudy!

anyway, i think the democrats are desperate enough to let hilary clinton run for president.

kabuki
Nov 8th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Colin- wife will never let him run
John McC- too old and marginalized by his party. could win the election, but not the primary.
Jeb- Popular, connected, and from a swing state.

Hillary - too polarizing, and unelectable outside of the Dem primaries
Edwards- couldn't even carry his own state. 'nuff said
Barack- untested nationally, short on credentials. But if GWB can be prez....

Obama vs. Bush III