PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with the Confederate flags??

Knizzle
Nov 6th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Everyday when I'm out driving I see white people with confederate flags branded or hanging in the window of their cars. I really don't understand what the point is to have them?? I live in Illinois so we aren't in the south which is still not an excuse to me. Why not just have an American flag?? :shrug:

Unless they are trying to make a statement of hate.......

AjdeNate!
Nov 6th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I've never never understood that. I live close to you, and see the same thing. The apartment complex across the street from my job, well on the 5th floor there's a huge Congenerate flag in the window. It's just sad, really.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 6th, 2004, 03:59 PM
I have to ask - are these the same type of people that shoot 'coons for fun? ;)

When I was younger, assholes who pulled shit like that got their windows stoned :devil: Uh, then I grew up.

Knizzle
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:03 PM
I have to ask - are these the same type of people that shoot 'coons for fun? ;)

When I was younger, assholes who pulled shit like that got their windows stoned :devil: Uh, then I grew up.
Some are obviously, but others don't appear to be that way. Some you can tell by the big pickups they are driving, but yesterday I saw a young girl driving a car with 2 of them on there. We have tried to pull bumper stickers off before, but those damn things are too tough to get off, lol.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Well, when people call the USA "backwards" they are talking about those people ;)

Hulet
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Is it really a surprise that those flags occur regularly now in a country drenched in patriotic fervor?

Knizzle
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Is it really a surprise that those flags occur regularly now in a country drenched in patriotic fervor?
I said CONFEDERATE flags, not American flags.

PointBlank
Nov 6th, 2004, 11:32 PM
I live in Tennessee and I see atleast 10 a day..I personally dont like them but when they tried to get them banned from schools(Dixie Outfitters shirts) and they argued to ban FUBU(For Us By Us)

Sam L
Nov 6th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Everyday when I'm out driving I see white people with confederate flags branded or hanging in the window of their cars. I really don't understand what the point is to have them?? I live in Illinois so we aren't in the south which is still not an excuse to me. Why not just have an American flag?? :shrug:

Unless they are trying to make a statement of hate.......
I think they WISH it was still 1860. You know what I mean? :rolleyes:

decemberlove
Nov 6th, 2004, 11:47 PM
I live in Tennessee and I see atleast 10 a day..I personally dont like them but when they tried to get them banned from schools(Dixie Outfitters shirts) and they argued to ban FUBU(For Us By Us)

http://www.dixieoutfitters.com/classic/cindex.shtml

that website is scary. didn't even know that it existed.

Our Southern heritage is under attack! Today we are not just fighting for the confederate flag, we are fighting for the very survival of our Southern heritage and culture. Some politicians and special interest groups who would benefit from causing racial strife and division have chosen our Southern heritage as their target.

The NAACP and the politically correct forces are no longer content with removing our symbols from government buildings; they now want to stop our children from wearing them to school and seek to ban sales of all Confederate merchandise in our retail stores.

In December 2002, mall management evicted vendors within only 48 hours notice who were selling Dixie Outfitters and Dixie Girls merchandise in Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi, following threats from the NAACP!

In response to this violation of our freedoms, we have formed a Dixie Girls/Dixie Outfitters Legal Team. The purpose of this team is to seek justice for our company, our vendors, our customers, and our Southern heritage via the legal system. This team is composed of excellent lawyers, public relations experts and advisors with the highest credentials in our Southern heritage community.

You can help in our fight for justice. We ask you to join in our legal team today and help support Dixie Girls and Dixie Outfitters. Choose the participation level that you can afford and call us toll-free at 1-866-916-5866 to place your order. All profits from the sale of these member packets will be used for payment of the legal and public relations costs incurred in the fight to protect our Southern heritage from those who seek to destroy it.

"All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win is that good men do nothing." --Edmund Burke

Join the fight today! Fight them at every opportunity! The future of the South is in our hands!

--Best regards, Dewey W. Barber

PointBlank
Nov 6th, 2004, 11:54 PM
I hate to admit it but I actually bought one of their shirts in 4th grade..before I knew what the "n" word meant and how the flag is..no I am so anti-rebel flag

PointBlank
Nov 6th, 2004, 11:56 PM
In December 2002, mall management evicted vendors within only 48 hours notice who were selling Dixie Outfitters and Dixie Girls merchandise in Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi, following threats from the NAACP!

Thats true...they can only buy them at certain places now

Hulet
Nov 7th, 2004, 12:24 AM
I said CONFEDERATE flags, not American flags.
I got what you meant the first time. My point was that it is not that surprising that the "national" flag waving quickly turned into a "confederate" flag waving. The atmosphere that promoted all that ostentatious flag waving is the hatred of outsiders; so, what's so surprising that this hatred evolved into a hatred of ones own countrymen?

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2004, 01:23 AM
How can they even compare those two things? The confederate flag stands for a lot more than FUBU does :retard:

PointBlank
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:55 PM
How can they even compare those two things? The confederate flag stands for a lot more than FUBU does :retard:
Thats what I say..but I guess if they want to get rid of something the whites like you gotta get rid of something the blacks like

mboyle
Nov 7th, 2004, 10:53 PM
I don't know, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I mean, it is just a flag. I would give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't think the old south was much to be proud of myself (shhh don't tell my grandfather,) but if some people like it, wherever they may be, let them have their fun if it doesn't interfere with your life. That's how I see it. I might be wrong, of course:o .

Bacardi
Nov 7th, 2004, 10:58 PM
You can't get as disrespectful as me anymore. On my car is an upside down US Flag. I'm flying my flag on my house upside down as well. It's a symbol of SOS, and for the next 4 years, we sure as hell are getting the SAME OLD SHIT. :lol:

Rtael
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:37 PM
I don't know, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I mean, it is just a flag. I would give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't think the old south was much to be proud of myself (shhh don't tell my grandfather,) but if some people like it, wherever they may be, let them have their fun if it doesn't interfere with your life. That's how I see it. I might be wrong, of course:o .
Of course.

Stamp Paid
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:41 PM

And yet you disagree with gay marriage....? :confused: :tape:

Philbo
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Great post trineo!!

Volcana
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Why not just have an American flag?? :shrug:
The Confederate Flag is the American Swastika. But, like the Swastika, it isn't solely a symbolof hate. It's also a symbol of group-identity. America used to be a country where being white gave certain de jure advantages over all others, and a lot more de facto advantages. The de jure advantages are gone, except for those masked as 'property rights', and 'inheritance rights'. The de facto advantages erode erode more and more every day.

It used to be that a bank would hire the stupidest white man before the smartest Black man or woman. After 40 years of being forced to by the law, that same bank looks to it's bottom line, and realized that hiring that smart Black man or woman means more profits.

Where does that leave the stupid white man? It leaves him with lower earnings, less of a sense of self-worth (since now he's not valuable purely because of his skin color), and a swastika Confederate Flag across the back window of his truck.

SUre he hates. He hates a system that tells him people he was brought up to despise are worth more than he is.

'Southern Heritage' is polite-speak for 'White Supremacy'.

jbone_0307
Nov 8th, 2004, 12:04 AM
Doess that black shirt on the website have the symbol/sign/outline of the KKK?? What do they mean by preserving the heritage and culture of the South. The only heritage the south had was hunting any and every animal and slavery. You can still hunt without the confederate flag.

Volcana
Nov 8th, 2004, 12:28 AM

In response to this violation of our freedomsOkay, stop right there. This is NOT a violation of anyone's 'freedoms'. This is a straight-up, 'let the market decide' capitalism.

"Freedom of Expression' means the government doesn't control how you express yourself. Other citizens are free to oppose you by any legal means. If 'mall management' feels that they lose more by losing NAACP supporters thanthey gain by losing 'Dixie Outfitters and Dixie Girls' supporters, that's the marketplace at work. The government didn't interfere in any way. Mall management was merely with loss of money, when those who supported the NAACP's position refused to shop there.

Supporters of Dixie Outfitters and Dixie Girls in no way had their legal rights infringed upon.

polishprodigy
Nov 8th, 2004, 12:35 AM
As far as I recall, Mississippi still has the confederate symbol on its flag, and I remember Serena Williams did her best to have it banned in South Carolina as well (at the Charleston tournament if I recall)

It is a shame that it is still widely shown given its negative and hateful meaning.