PDA

View Full Version : US election: Breaking it down by social groups

Sam L
Nov 6th, 2004, 11:56 AM
http://www.electoral-vote.com/images/exit-polls.gif

Source: www.electoral-vote.com

Very interesting, but NOT surprising. I don't think anyone would be suprised by those figures.

Conclusion: The future is bright! :)

Young people 18-29 and a whole heap of minorities like African-Americans, Latinos and Jewish people generally prefer Democrats.

Michael Moore on his webpage said something like in 50 years, whites will no longer be the majority in America.

One can only hope he's right. :yeah:

Hagar
Nov 6th, 2004, 12:05 PM
http://www.electoral-vote.com/images/exit-polls.gif

Conclusion: The future is bright! :)

Young people 18-29 and a whole heap of minorities like African-Americans, Latinos and Jewish people generally prefer Democrats.

Michael Moore on his webpage said something like in 50 years, whites will no longer be the majority in America.

The future is bright indeed. Bring on Obama, he's the Democrats' best card.

Thank you for this analysis, I had been wondering how the votes were distributed among the population.

Bezz
Nov 6th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Well in 50 years time most white countries will have lost most of thier national identity, i dont think thats a thing to celebrate IMO. :shrug:

AjdeNate!
Nov 6th, 2004, 02:30 PM
So it was about religion. Hmmmm.

turt
Nov 6th, 2004, 02:34 PM
So it was about religion. Hmmmm.
Yeah, but there's a missing stat: what % of population is to be put in each category (protestant, catholic, jewish and no religion)...

I have absolutely no clue, but it'd be interesting to analyze this in further details!

DFAN25
Nov 6th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Well the young people could have made a difference if they actually bothered to vote.
Excellent point.

Celeste
Nov 6th, 2004, 03:36 PM
That or people turn Republican as they age.

Spunky83
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:34 PM
That or people turn Republican as they age.

Interesting idea...maybe the young white americans, who suddenly turn rich when they get older and want to save some tax money...who knows. Letīs see!

Hulet
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:52 PM
I read somewhere that 29% of people who identify themselves as gay voted for Bush, why, exactly, I am not sure. :confused:

Crazy Canuck
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Conclusion: The future is bright!

If by "bright" you mean "people are going to vote democrat", then no, not necessarily. People generally get more conservative as they get older... young people will always be more "liberal" than older generations... that doesn't necessarily tell us anything about the future.

What you said about minorities may hold true, but policies and blah could change if "minorities" do indeed become the majority, so we'll see ;)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:56 PM
I read somewhere that 29% of people who identify themselves as gay voted for Bush, why, exactly, I am not sure. :confused:
Maybe they're conservative?

Hulet
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Maybe they're conservative?
Obviously. But, my question is why exactly, especially in this election where their status is being debated.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 6th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Obviously. But, my question is why exactly, especially in this election where their status is being debated.
Their marital status... perhaps they don't care about getting married? Or maybe they do, but other Republican policies are more favourable to them then Dem ones so they weighed their choices and went Republican.

I don't think it's fair to assume that all homosexuals and all minorities should vote Dem and that those who don't are :retard: You may not be making that assumption and are expressiong genuine curiosity, but a number of people on this board do.

Bezz
Nov 6th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Well the only really thing being debated about them is the marriage issue. Since both parties have both said they are against this, then i guess they are just voting on what other issues best suit them. :)

Rtael
Nov 6th, 2004, 05:08 PM
I don't think it's fair to assume that all homosexuals and all minorities should vote Dem and that those who don't are :retard:
Yes, it is.

Hulet
Nov 6th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Their marital status... perhaps they don't care about getting married? Or maybe they do, but other Republican policies are more favourable to them then Dem ones so they weighed their choices and went Republican.

I don't think it's fair to assume that all homosexuals and all minorities should vote Dem and that those who don't are :retard: You may not be making that assumption and are expressiong genuine curiosity, but a number of people on this board do.
No, I am not making that assumption. But, it seemed to me that Bush was for outright prohibition of "gay marriage" (in any form) through amendement to the constitution while the democrats atleast entertained some sort of compromise. May be I was wrong.

Hulet
Nov 6th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Well the only really thing being debated about them is the marriage issue. Since both parties have both said they are against this, then i guess they are just voting on what other issues best suit them. :)
Okay, this answers my last question. So, I was wrong about the position of the democratic party about the status of gay marriage.

Sam L
Nov 7th, 2004, 12:14 AM
If by "bright" you mean "people are going to vote democrat", then no, not necessarily. People generally get more conservative as they get older... young people will always be more "liberal" than older generations... that doesn't necessarily tell us anything about the future.

What you said about minorities may hold true, but policies and blah could change if "minorities" do indeed become the majority, so we'll see ;)
Well I'm not saying so much that they'll vote Democrat. Because I don't think "Democrat" is the solution to everything.

But yes it shows that young people are more liberal and aren't so hung up on conservative social issues. Now, yes you have a point that (in the past) young people tend to become more Republican as they grow older.

But that's the past. This is 2004. And today's youth are and will be facing such different world issues than their parents and grandparents.

Also regarding the minorities. Look, I think diversity is great, and it's obvious that in this election WHITE PROTESTANT communities spoke and they spoke loud because they have the numbers.

But I'm saying the future would be brighter because then their voice wouldn't be so LOUD anymore.

Recognizing of course though that the guy who lost Barrack Obama in Illonois is a black Christian homophobe.

I'm just saying it would be great to have a whole heap of social groups having the same power.