PDA

View Full Version : Studying Abroad next semester: London or Dublin? Help!

shap_half
Nov 6th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Ok so I'm in university now. And next year I am considering going abroad to Europe to study for a semester. I have narrowed it down to two countries: England and Ireland (the accents make me weak). Of course I'll be opting to study at their respective capitals. I would love to experience Londo and because it is such a big city it would have more ethnic minorities (which is what I am) and would therefore make for a more comfortable living for me. It would just be strange being the fifth non-white person in a city, wouldn't you think? That's kinda my prob with Ireland. A few of my friends who are Irish and have been to Dublin say that it is pretty homogenous in that there aren't that many non-white peoples. I don't have a problem with that per se but I'm just not familiar with the cultural and social perspective of the Irish regarding foreigners. And btw, I saw the movie Cowboys and Angels which is set in Ireland and there are A LOT OF HOT IRISH MEN!!! Some of 'em better be gay because I plan on having a lot sex while I'm away. Anyway, if anyone here is Irish or can shed some light on what happens in good ol' Dublin reply and help me out.

Shenanigans
Nov 6th, 2004, 03:06 AM
if you go to Dublin or London it is quite easy to visit both of the cities there are alot of cheap flights. London is definetely bigger and more cosmopolitian but I must say.... I have visited Dublin a couple of times and the men are :hearts: but my fathers parents are Irish so I sort of feel at home there.

rightous
Nov 6th, 2004, 11:22 AM
shap Dublin is pretty cosmopolitian these days althou not as much so as London. The universities have def got alot more foreign students so u def won't be alone, and Irish people r def sexier than english guys have u seen me;)

jenny161185
Nov 6th, 2004, 11:36 AM
there are a lot of foreign ppl studying in Dublin and its a great city to party! come to Dublin!

shap_half
Nov 6th, 2004, 08:22 PM
I love the IRISH!!!! They are like my new favorite obssession!!!!

righteous, i have not seen you so you will have to PM me a picture!!!

Maybe you guys can talk more about it? If y'all don't mind. Like what are some of the things to do? How's the shopping? Things of that sort!

shap_half
Nov 7th, 2004, 08:11 PM
bump

sarza
Nov 7th, 2004, 08:14 PM
come to london :D

beauty_is_pink
Nov 7th, 2004, 08:16 PM
i say London!
and you can change to Dublin any time i supppose, or jus visit Dublin as a trip :)

i'd like to study aboard sometime in the future also... jus an excuse to go to Europe :p :hearts: :lol:

shap_half
Nov 7th, 2004, 08:29 PM
any reasons why london is particularly better than dublin?

OUT!
Nov 7th, 2004, 08:35 PM
any reasons why london is particularly better than dublin?More exciting, more multicultural and more things to do. Plus I prefer the architecture. But Dublin is okay.

selking
Nov 7th, 2004, 08:43 PM
All I have heard about london is that its really boring. i have heard much better things about dublin.

Tammy
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:05 PM
I'm an American and studied in London er about 1 1/2 yrs ago.. I felt it was a good place, liked the pace, liked the people most of the time, it was great seeing all the beautiful architecture just going to a store or to class etc (all of which we lack at home) - loved the atmosphere..

and just as a side note - i had no problems being with my g/f (in public that is) besides one little humerous comment - so didnt get the looks or stares that id get at home either..

..but what can i say - i never been to Ireland.. but from what my classmates told me it was a bit boring and limited.. but who knows - im sure you'll have great fun whichever you choose :)

Justeenium
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Its November, if you were studying abroad next semester, wouldn't you already have your plans set in stone by now???

:confused:

AjdeNate!
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:10 PM
My completely biased opinion..... London.

Shenanigans
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Dublin is definetly more friendlier than London like alot of big cities London can be a bit unfriendly at times but for a gay man there is a huge gay scene and alot of good bars and clubs but even though the scene in Dublin is smaller I found it to be very friendly and it is quite easy to strike up a conversation with people.

Also wouldn't worry you won't be the only ethnic minority person in Dublin.

*Karen*
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Why not come to Edinburgh? I go to Queen Margaret Uni. There's loads of ethnic groups. 10% of students are from non eu countries. Edinburgh's great for partying. The only bad thing is the winter lasts forever.

*Karen*
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:47 PM
I get to study abroad in year 3 of my nursing course. Anybody got any ideas. I always fancied going to Africa or India, preferably an english speaking country, cos it's quite important that I can communicate with patients.

Kart
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:53 PM
As an ethnic minority I felt a bit out of place when I went to Dublin - but my self-consciousness was all in my head, Irish people are infinitely more friendly than Londoners.

Still, London is bigger and much more diverse in terms of things to do and night life so it's a trade off depending on your priority really.

SJW
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:58 PM
London. i can't think of a reason to study in Ireland over London apart from the accent :hearts:

Bacardi
Nov 7th, 2004, 10:45 PM
I would think you'd enjoy London more, it's more diverse and there has to be a lot more things to do on a busy Saturday night than say in Dublin.

However, Colin Farrel is Irish, and that would almost be enough to make anyone change their mind. :lol: ;)

I still say London thou Shap Half. Just stay out of the USA, they're all a bunch of homophobic rednecks here anyway.... the Election just proves it.

Shenanigans
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:02 PM
I would think you'd enjoy London more, it's more diverse and there has to be a lot more things to do on a busy Saturday night than say in Dublin.

However, Colin Farrel is Irish, and that would almost be enough to make anyone change their mind. :lol: ;)

I still say London thou Shap Half. Just stay out of the USA, they're all a bunch of homophobic rednecks here anyway.... the Election just proves it.

The Irish love to party the main street in Dublin is heaving on a Saturday night. ;)

Lord Chips
Nov 8th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Why not come to Edinburgh? I go to Queen Margaret Uni. There's loads of ethnic groups. 10% of students are from non eu countries. Edinburgh's great for partying. The only bad thing is the winter lasts forever.Exactly!

I just got back from a weekend there visiting my friends cousin who is studying there. The whole weekend was brilliant, especially walking around Edinburgh Castle at 1.30am with a half drunk bottle of wine singing "500 miles"

Dava
Nov 8th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Well from what I hear both citys are pretty expensive to live in (lone especially) so I would save your pennys up...;)

ASV_FAN
Nov 8th, 2004, 02:36 PM
I live in London now so my unibiased ;) opinion would definitely be London. Loads to do and see and no-one cares what you do or look like, there's *always* someone much weirder than u lol.

Dahveed
Nov 8th, 2004, 03:06 PM
I guess London is the best choice, you can always travel to Dublin. You'll feel comfortable there and no London is not boring, i can't see how this city could be boring??! 2 years i've been living here and i never got bored (so far)..

veryborednow
Nov 8th, 2004, 03:12 PM
London. Biggest Irish city outside of Ireland.

I Love Sharapova
Nov 8th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Well,being Irish myself I would say Dublin

Shenanigans
Nov 8th, 2004, 05:23 PM
London. Biggest Irish city outside of Ireland.

True, he could get a flat in Kilburn and that would solve his dilemma. ;)

!<blocparty>!
Nov 8th, 2004, 06:10 PM
More exciting, more multicultural and more things to do. Plus I prefer the architecture. But Dublin is okay.
Where is it you live again? :lol: :angel:

People who live in either Dublin or London shouldn't be able to say, as they may be slightly biased :p :p

I'd go to London ;)

shap_half
Nov 8th, 2004, 06:30 PM
I thought I was all set in going to Dublin because A) London is rather expensive and I'm not rich yet. B) Irish men are hot and I wanna have sex with as many as possible. and C) Maybe going to Dublin is going to be a more unique experience.

How easy will it be to get a part-time job in either cities?
I need to work. I can't not work. It'll kill me. Gay scene anyone?

Also to whoever asked earlier, I mean to say next year and not next semester. Same difference.

OUT!
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Where is it you live again? :lol: :angel:

People who live in either Dublin or London shouldn't be able to say, as they may be slightly biased :p :p

I'd go to London ;)Yeah but my mum is Irish remember? Dublin is not as exciting and my mum is from there. :p ;)
shap half - dont you need a visa to work ? :confused:

If you can get one, there are plenty of jobs around in London. :D

veryborednow
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Yeah but my mum is Irish remember? Dublin is not as exciting and my mum is from there. :p ;)
shap half - dont you need a visa to work ? :confused:

If you can get one, there are plenty of jobs around in London. :D
If you can't, there are plenty of jobs around in London ;)

shap_half
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't know what I would need to work. Fuckityfuck. I need a visa to work!!?? Would a student one suffice?

OUT!
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:29 PM
If you can't, there are plenty of jobs around in London ;):lol: :tape: Very true! :o

OUT!
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't know what I would need to work. Fuckityfuck. I need a visa to work!!?? Would a student one suffice?I am not sure. But if all else fails take VBN's advice :lol: :)

veryborednow
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:40 PM
You'd need a work permit, I think.

Failing London, go up north. There are plenty of cockles to pick and you certainly don't need a visa to do that ;)

CooCooCachoo
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:42 PM
I love London and especially:

- STARBUCKS :hearts:
- Wimbledon :worship:
- The British Museum :D

Whichever you choose, I wish you the best of luck :D

veryborednow
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:46 PM
I love London and especially:

- STARBUCKS :hearts:
- Wimbledon :worship:
- The British Museum :D

Whichever you choose, I wish you the best of luck :D
You know Starbucks isn't an exclusively London joint, right? :p

OUT!
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:52 PM
VBN you are so naughty! I shouldnt laugh but I am :lol:

veryborednow
Nov 8th, 2004, 08:09 PM
VBN you are so naughty! I shouldnt laugh but I am :lol:
;) Boredom brings out my worst side

shap_half
Nov 8th, 2004, 08:25 PM
I would love to go to London as well. I feel like this thread is making me more confuse as to which city I'd rather study in. I'm torn.