PDA

View Full Version : Ireland in danger of losing its first ever Olympic gold medal

wayitis
Nov 5th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Blood of Gold-Medal Horse to Be TestedBlood Portion of Olympic Gold-Winning Horse's Sample to Be Tested After Urine Stolen
The Associated Press

LAUSANNE, Switzerland Nov 5, 2004 A blood sample from Ireland's Olympic show jumping champion will be tested to determine whether a gold medal won in Athens should be stripped.

Waterford Crystal's sample will be analyzed at the U.S. equestrian drug-testing lab in New York, the International Equestrian Federation, the sport's governing body, said Friday.

At stake is the medal won by rider Cian O'Connor, Ireland's only gold.

An inquiry was launched after Waterford Crystal's initial sample tested positive for a banned substance. The medal could be stripped if there is a second positive result.

A portion of the horse's backup sample was stolen last month while being delivered to the Horseracing Forensic Laboratory in Newmarket, England.

Police investigations are under way in Britain, Ireland and Switzerland.

O'Connor has denied any wrongdoing.

If Ireland loses the gold, the medal would go to Brazil's Rodrigo Pessoa.

The Irish equestrian federation has said Waterford Crystal was given a sedative for a leg injury a month before the Olympics in August.

O'Connor said his veterinarian assured him the sedative would work its way out of the horse's system before the games.

Fat Frog
Nov 5th, 2004, 07:47 PM
[b].
get facts straight it wasn't irelands first EVER. It was Irelands only medal in Athens.

For what its worth i think the medal should be taken off him. Every person invloved in a sport where drug testing is mandatory is well aware of what they can and cannot put in the (horses)body..there's no excuse

rightous
Nov 5th, 2004, 09:28 PM
lol Fat Frog u got there before me, it def isn't Ireland's only gold medal, althou Michelle De Bruin had a positive drug ban as well

BettyBlue
Nov 5th, 2004, 11:56 PM
:lol: :lol: a horse testing positive? that is probably the worst case of doping i've ever heard, who would have thought? :o

jcaprulez
Nov 6th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Even the horses can't get away with taking drugs? :lol: