PDA

View Full Version : Hopman Cup

JC Federer
Nov 5th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Can someone tell me why Russia is top seed in next year's Hopman Cup? Like, how do they determine seedings? Last year, Russia didn't even make the finals. The US are two time defending champions. So why are Russia #1?

Dan23
Nov 5th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Probably because although Davenport is number 1, Blake is just inside the top 100.
In the Russian team Myskina is number 3 and Safin is also in the top 10 making them an overall stronger team :)

Gowza
Nov 5th, 2004, 08:10 AM
blakes been injured most of the year hasnt he? anyway i think dan is correct i think they make the seedings based on how strong the team is overall, mens/womens maybe they even think about the mixed doubles not sure on the mixed doubles bit but im pretty sure they do seedings on the strength of the team.

JC Federer
Nov 5th, 2004, 09:23 AM
So they combine the singles ranking of each player? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a tournament like this, especially when they have to play Mixed Doubles. I would have thought it made more sense to have seedings based on past performance in THIS tournament. Like they do with Davis Cup and Fed Cup, since their format is different to singles ATP rank, or singles WTA rank. You're not a singles player, you're part of a team.

Plus what about Hewitt & Molik? If they were a pair, would they be top seed?

Daniel
Nov 14th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Nastya and Marat are top seeded team :)