PDA

View Full Version : America Today: Target & KMart Bans Salvation Army Bell Ringers this Holiday

Bacardi
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Target Stores and also K Mart (Big K) has banned the bell ringers of the Salvation Army from collecting money for their charity in front of their stores.

Anyone else think that's just wrong and sad? I mean Salvation Army has helped thousands if not millions of people enjoy a Christmas every year. For these stores to ban such a thing, officially means I will not be doing business this holiday season at K Mart or Target. Walmart might be EVIL, but at least they'll allow the Bell Ringers to collect money for a good cause.

This further proves, that America is becoming more and more selfish and corrupt. It's nice to see being selfish starts and the Government and is working it's way down to everyone else.

Target policy may hurt Salvation Army goal
Diana Louise Carter
Staff writer

(November 3, 2004) — Coming off a year in which the red-kettle campaign fell short of its goal, the local Salvation Army is facing one more hurdle for 2004: Target will no longer allow bell ringers in front of its stores.

"Target is definitely one of the larger stores that says we can't stand there this year. The four stores in the area represented between 8 and 9 percent of our kettle program," said Salvation Army Major Charles Deitrick.

A Target spokeswoman said the company notified the national Salvation Army early this year of its decision to enforce its longstanding policy of prohibiting solicitors.

"We have this policy to ensure a distraction-free shopping environment," said Target's Lena Michaud, speaking by phone from company headquarters in Minneapolis. The company was getting an increasing number of requests from nonprofit groups and couldn't continue to say no when it had allowed an exception for the Salvation Army, she said. She noted the company's philanthropic programs give away approximately $2 million a week. Deitrick said the Rochester Salvation Army will apply to Target's foundation in an attempt to make up the loss.

Losing kettles at Target "makes it difficult to meet the needs of helping families at Christmas time, but also the ability to take some of those dollars into our winter relief programs," Deitrick said.

Meanwhile, the Salvation Army is increasing efforts to meet its goal of $575,000 this year — the same goal as last year, when the campaign fell short by $30,000.

Deitrick said the army is trying to double the number of volunteers it had last year to cut down on campaign costs. Although volunteers far outnumbered paid bell ringers, they accounted for just 13 percent of the hours last year.

Salvation Army spokesman Scott Benjamin said the organization has appealed to many local companies, asking them to hold internal red-kettle campaigns. So far, 18 companies have agreed to start or extend in-house campaigns. There were five last year.

One of the newcomers is Time Warner Cable's Rochester division.

"I just didn't realize we could participate as a company. As soon as we heard about it, we thought this is going to be great fun," said Pat Scheg, vice president of human resources at Time Warner. The company will set up kettles inside its entrances Dec. 10 and bring them to the company holiday party the next day.

Benjamin said volunteers at other red kettles will be asked to fill — perhaps with the help of friends — an entire shift, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., this year instead of committing to just one or two hours. Deitrick said filling whole shifts would cut down on the cost of hired workers.

DCARTER@DemocratandChronicle.com

I want to know, since when has Charity Bell Ringers become 'solicititation'? It's a Cold, Harsh, Cruel USA out there folks, I don't suspect we're going to be around much longer if the current trend of being selfish continues. It's sad :sad:

decemberlove
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:17 PM
it's terrible that target is doing that.

walmart is only keeping them there cos they need to do SOMETHING GOOD in this world.

selking
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:22 PM
I just wrote kmart a letter

Bacardi
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:22 PM
I know dlove, I liked Target and planned on buying some stuff there this holiday season. However you know what I'm going to do this year, it might not be enough to hurt them but I believe firmly in one person someday will make a difference. I'm going to walk into Target, the next time I am in Johnson City, TN (as that's my local store) and I'm going to tell the front end manager I choose to not do business this Holiday Season with Target Stores because they are making a heartless mistake in turning away the Salvation Army.

flyingmachine
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:27 PM
:(

cheesestix
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:28 PM
It's nice to see being selfish starts and the Government and is working it's way down to everyone else.

What does this have to do with the government? :rolleyes:

Also, what does this have to do with selfishness? :rolleyes:

I don't agree with what Target's doing either, but it has nothing to do with selfishness. For some reason, they just don't wanna have to pick and choose between solicitors/charities, so they're banning all of them. But before you call them selfish, maybe you need to take a look at everything that TARGET DOES FOR CHARITY. :rolleyes:

Man, you're just looking for something to bitch about.

It's so ironic that this article comes from YOU of all people. You're the one wishing terrorism, bad economy, and assassination on your fellow Americans. So you're really one to talk, aren't you?

Bacardi
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:34 PM
cheesestix, you are exactly a fine example of what's wrong with America today. And also a great point of proof in why companies like this are getting away with what they are doing. I choose not to even address you as a fellow human being anymore. Because you aren't, you are just a robot, blinded by the masses.

For those of you that don't know the Salvation Army, here's a list of a few of the things it does, just around the holiday season for families and people.
Coats for Kids
Christmas Gifts for Kids
Turkeys and Christmas dinners for the poor and needy
Donation stores
Places for the Homeless to stay that are warm
ETC.

cheesestix
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:54 PM
cheesestix, you are exactly a fine example of what's wrong with America today. And also a great point of proof in why companies like this are getting away with what they are doing. I choose not to even address you as a fellow human being anymore. Because you aren't, you are just a robot, blinded by the masses.

For those of you that don't know the Salvation Army, here's a list of a few of the things it does, just around the holiday season for families and people.
Coats for Kids
Christmas Gifts for Kids
Turkeys and Christmas dinners for the poor and needy
Donation stores
Places for the Homeless to stay that are warm
ETC.

What's with all of the empty bullshit rhetoric that you're spewing? :rolleyes: I have nothing to do with Target...other than I probably shop there 2 times a year.

Answer the questions... :rolleyes:

You won't, because you can't.

You call them "selfish", but you won't offer any proof to back it up.

And who said anything about the Salvation Army being bad? Why the need to justify what the SA does?

BTW, I bet I donate more to charity than you do.

And you're really one to talk about "human beings", aren't you?

You are one BITTER and EVIL person.

Bacardi
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Target does do things for Charities, but it's it's own Charities, several with the name TARGET slashed all over it. Walmart does the same damn thing, yet it still allows bell ringers as does JC Penny and several other department stores.

You have no idea how much I donate to charity, nor does what I give or what you give matter. It's important that all people give what they can, when they can. Giving money to the poor in the name of Charity does not guarantee a ticket into heaven. I know where you are getting this from, several bible thumping Republicans think the same way. It's not how much you give, but what's in your heart that you do give.

cheesestix
Nov 4th, 2004, 11:13 PM
You have no idea how much I donate to charity, nor does what I give or what you give matter. It's important that all people give what they can, when they can. Giving money to the poor in the name of Charity does not guarantee a ticket into heaven. I know where you are getting this from, several bible thumping Republicans think the same way. It's not how much you give, but what's in your heart that you do give.

You know where I'm getting this from? :rolleyes:

You need to quit generalizing all Republicans as Bible thumpers and rednecks. :rolleyes:

You don't know shit about me or what has shaped my views.

My point was, you're trying to act so righteous and judge people. And you described me as if I'm responsible for what Target's doing, or as if I'm selfish (like you think Target is). That's why I explained that I bet I'm more charitable than you are. Because you don't know me, and YOU of all people have no right to judge anybody.

Oh, and that line, "it's what's in your heart"....give me a break! You've already shown what's in your heart: you're hoping for assassinations, hoping for terrorist attacks, hoping for bad economy and job loss....did I leave anything out?

All of that because you're a bitter juvenile who's upset that the MAJORITY of Americans voted for a different candidate than you did.

Damn, grow up!