PDA

View Full Version : Is Arafat dead or dying?

wayitis
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Israeli private television and military radio has reported that Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has died, but top Palestinian officials have denied the report

Yasser Arafat in coma
Thu 4 November, 2004 14:27

By Wafa Amr

PARIS (Reuters) - Palestinian President Yasser Arafat went into a coma overnight and is lying unconscious and in critical condition in the intensive care unit at a French military hospital, aides say.

Doctors carrying out tests on the 75-year-old leader since he was airlifted to France last Friday still did not know what was wrong with him, despite ruling out leukaemia, they said.

Arafat's immune system appeared quite weak as his health, which had at first stabilised after he arrived at the hospital, suddenly deteriorated on Wednesday, they said.

"Arafat is in a coma and in a critical condition," a senior Palestinian official told Reuters. He was transferred to the intensive care unit on Wednesday at around 5 p.m..

"He has no immunity whatsoever," said another aide, adding he slipped into the coma around 2 a.m. on Thursday.

In the West Bank city of Ramallah, senior Palestinian officials denied he was in a coma. "No coma," Prime Minister Ahmed Qurie told reporters. "His condition is not getting better, nor is it worsening."

Arafat's slide into illness has raised fears of chaos among Palestinians locked in a 4-year-old uprising.

Arafat, loved by most Palestinians and reviled by many Israelis, has named no successor since emerging from exile under interim peace accords with Israel in the early 1990s.

The death of a leader Israel and Washington see as an obstacle to peace could also shuffle the cards in the Middle East conflict.

In Ramallah, the central committee of Arafat's Fatah faction in the Palestine Liberation Organisation met with the president's health topping the agenda. The PLO's executive committee was also called into session.

Arafat was rushed to France from the West Bank with severe stomach pains, diarrhoea and vomiting.

A briefing by the hospital had been expected at 11 a.m. but was put off without any explanation. Journalists at the hospital in Clamart, a southwestern Paris suburb, expected a statement later on Thursday.

"New tests have been carried out including an endoscopy (visual internal examination). Nothing was found out from those tests," a senior aide said earlier on Thursday.

According to France 2 television, the Palestinian leader was very weak and seemed to have reacted badly to tests his doctors were carrying out to determine the cause of his illness.

bw2082
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:04 PM
I saw something a little while ago that said he was clinically brain dead

Bacardi
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Last I heard he had something they branded as 'blood cancer' and was sent to a hospital. It wouldn't shock me in the least to hear he's died.

Helen Lawson
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:06 PM
This morning, NPR said he was in a coma and his organs were shutting down, but that the official people around him wouldn't comment, so it's all sort of unofficial.

Steff_forever
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I saw something a little while ago that said he was clinically brain dead same in German news ...

:sad:

lizchris
Nov 4th, 2004, 08:01 PM
He is almost dead.

stenen
Nov 4th, 2004, 08:03 PM
His condition is stable, they just said it in the news.

PointBlank
Nov 4th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Hopefully not..one of the better Palestinian leaders..if hes gone it will get worse

Bacardi
Nov 4th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Look out Palestine. Bush has already said today he wants to make Palastine a better and safer place. He said the same think about Afganistan and Iraq, so look out guys.

flyingmachine
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Don't really know yet but definitely he's dying. Uncertain times a head for the Palestinians when he's gone.

Paldias
Nov 4th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Hopefully both :)]

BettyBlue
Nov 5th, 2004, 08:34 PM
he is definately sick, i would not be surprised if his death was announced soon. he doesnt have much longer

I Love Sharapova
Nov 5th, 2004, 08:38 PM
From what I understand he is dead. :confused:

griffin
Nov 5th, 2004, 08:40 PM
As of this morning, he was in a coma. At least according to CNN.

DevilishAttitude
Nov 5th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Hopefully both :)]

Why hopefully :rolleyes:

disposablehero
Nov 6th, 2004, 12:10 AM
It is really sad what has happened to Yasser. The world truly doesn't have enough murderous scumbags these days.

jcaprulez
Nov 6th, 2004, 01:33 AM
They never make these things clear on the news. They said they were organising a funeral, then they said he was brain dead but not actually dead dead. I'm confused. I hope america stays out of palestinian affairs. They've fucked up Iraq and Afghanistan. Osama's still on the loose, Saddam is still alive, and they've still not found these weapons on mass destruction. Not to mention they've allowed lot's of other retarded countries to involve their army's in americas war.

Rtael
Nov 6th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Anyone getting a whiff of the CIA...?

Paldias
Nov 6th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Rumour is he's dying of AIDS...I can't find the article because it's in one of the newspapers in Canada but apparently before he was married there was something fishy. It really does make sense because no one really knows what he has and if people in the Arab-World found out he was gay they'd be sick. The same newspaper also speculates that they're going to keep him on life-support until they find another leader.

It'll be interesting if this is true...:shrug:

Meteor Shower
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Hopefully not..one of the better Palestinian leaders..if hes gone it will get worse

Worst than now? I don't think so.
There had been reports lately that he opened his eyes. The man got 8372832 souls. :mad:

I Love Sharapova
Nov 6th, 2004, 06:05 PM
clinically, he's dead. but the muslim tradition to bury him within 24 hours cannot be met until after negotiations as to where to bury him are concluded. he wanted to be buried in jerusalem at the temple mount. israel is instead suggesting the gaza strip, where the arafat family has a burial plot.

so... the tug of war over his burial place, as well as the time needed for the palestinian authority to get some control over their people, is what's slowing up the process. at present he's on life support and intubated.

i can't remember a world without arafat. this is most definitely the ending of an era.
it's going to be interesting to see what happens to his fortune when this happens...as his wife suha wants it, and so does the palestinian authority.
Hey,babe,good to see you back! :wavey: :wavey: :)

*Yoav*
Nov 7th, 2004, 12:33 AM
I hope that this terrorist will die, people tend to be wrong about him, he is a terrorist and always has been, he killed many Israelis and the peace he sign with Rabin woth nothing, because Israelis and Palestians die every day.
I just hope that next leader won't be a terrorist.