PDA

View Full Version : Dog Tales III (in loving memory of Max Stewart, who was a very lucky dog)

griffin
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Our friend and fellow poster lost his beloved dog Max last night.

Even having lost pets myself, I never quite know what to say at times like this, but I do know it helps to share and reminisce with people who understand how much our non-human pals can mean to us. That in mind, I thought we could throw Max something of an on-line Irish Wake.

So please, stop in and share a few stories of the animals who’ve shared their lives with you. Hopefully, when he’s ready, Brian will share a few about Max.

I thought I’d start off with Griffin (my namesake), who is having a bit of an identity crisis. Again.

When we first got Griffie, she was alternately terrified and fascinated with our two cats, Spot and Skeezix. When she wasn’t peeing in fear at the mere sight of them, she was following them around and watching them intently. She once watched Spot nap in a window sill for close to an hour, and when Spot got up (probably for food) tried to emulate her and jump onto the sill. She didn’t fit. She was very embarrassed.

Griff seemed to get over it in time, but ever since we got our second dog, Oliver, she’s been getting more and more cat-like again - either that or she’s channeling the spirit of the late Spot. Spot had me trained not to open a newspaper until she had settled into my lap. If I made the mistake of opening the paper too soon, she’d jump in the middle of it, and she was tubby enough to rip the paper in two. So I finally got out of the habit of waiting for Spot’s arrival in the morning, and now Griffin has decided that the best place to beg is physically on top of the person from whom you are begging. If I wait, I can read the funnies in relative peace. If I forget, I have confetti.

If she tries the window sill again, I'm taking her to a shrink.

AjdeNate!
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:06 PM
*sniff sniff* I hate hearing stories like this.... I don't know what I'd do if something happened to my dog. He's like my little buddy...always there for me and always ready to play.

Valda Lake
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:28 PM
I'm very upset about this...and I really dont know what to say except that I felt like I knew Max. You see...Brian and I would chat on Messenger and we would usually have our doggies close by and discuss them and say hello and that kind of silly stuff. Max was a year older than my old Nanny and both shared a trait...I wont say what it was but it was oft mentioned! :)

Brian I'm very sorry you lost your good friend...I know how much you loved him...and when I read the email I wept for him and for Nanny. I just fall apart when it comes to dogs. I feel so guilty now...because I remember an email a few months back where you mentioned his health and I didn't get back to you in a timely enough fashion (because I'm stubborn). I hope you leave yourself plenty of room to grieve...I know if the shoe was on the other foot I would be beside myself.

Anyway...I'll be back in with some stories...I have a lot of them! I've never NOT had a dog so...

Here's a recent item of Nanny's. I was playing Jeopardy on the computer late one night and drinking (natch) and I stayed up pretty late...Nanny slept on the futon while I carried on...then I opened a bag of Butterfinger BB's and ate a couple...a few minutes later I must have passed out...My friend awoke me the next day and I said "you know I dont remember eating all that candy" (the wrapper was on the desk empty) and he laughed and said "when I got here the bag was on your head as you slept". Thats when I realized that Nanny was licking my sheets...she ate all of them and left the wrapper on my head! Btw...the dog is blind as a bat...but very crafty!!! :)

Brian I wish I could think of something that might comfort you...I'll be thinking of you.

Dawn Marie
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:35 PM
:sad: It hurts so bad when you lose a pet. It hurts when yo see you doggie going down.:( I really empathize with you Brian. Griffin your post is funny and sweet.

I have a great article from Dear Abby or Ann Landers about our Pet dogs. It is so touching and beautiful. If I could I would post it fore it is what we all feel about our pets.

Brian, I know your numb and it is going to take time to heal your pain. Hugs to you Brian and blows kisses at Max. I know he is up there playing with the other doggies in the sky.

Barrie_Dude
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Griffin, I do go through something similar with my dear Sox and the paper. Except she waits until I open the paper and than she sits in the middle of it. She also has a problem with water. It is not that she does not like it, she loves water! But she will not drink out of a bowl! No, this is not good enough for her, I must go over and turn on the tap for her to drink out of!

Sonja
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Brian, I'm so sorry. Words cannot adequately express my sympathy for your loss. The following poem has helped me a bit in the past.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... Author unknown...

Sub
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Brian, I'm sorry to hear about Max. Very sad news indeed. My heart goes out to you for your loss. My favorite dog story of all time is the one I remember you telling about your dog burying the popcicle and then being mad when he went to dig it up, thinking one of the other dogs snuck in and got it! I'll never forget that! Lol!

V, only you could have a blind dog that manages to put an empty package on your head without waking you! :kiss:

Let's see a story from me...my Oscar isn't quite a year old yet, so I don't have many stories. The most recent one I can think of is when he and his sister Molly escaped from the yard while I was at work. Since their experience outside the yard is limited to walking 3/4 mile to the park, that's what they did - walked themselves to the park. Fortunately someone rescued my little man - just opened the car door and Oscar jumped right on in. (I guess we hadn't had that stranger talk. ;)) The rescuer turned out to be the manager of the local Motophoto. Oscar was the Motophoto Dog all day. They said he was a natural. He came out from around the desk to greet each person as s/he walked in the door and he didn't pee inside at all. Thank God! Thank God also for people who take the time to pick up little lost dogs! :hearts: (In case you were wondering, my roommate's dog Molly was also rescued and got to play in someone else's yard all day.) :)

Gallofa
Mar 18th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Hey Brian, sorry to hear about Max. I didn't even know you had a pet. Unfortunately, I can't even tell you any stories about any pets. But I'd love to hear your stories if you feel like telling us any.

Halardfan
Mar 18th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Im sorry to hear about your beloved pet Brian. I wish I had some words that would give you some comfort. Ive never had as strong a bond with any of our families few pets as you clearly did with Max. So I can only know a small part of what your feeling. All the best.

Josh
Mar 18th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Brian. :sad:

A little story about my cat Spirou :

She has a little cat door in the garage through which she can leave and enter the house whenever she wants. A few days ago we bought a new cat door because the old one wasn't functioning very well anymore. The new one is a see-through door and apparently she doesn't like that. So now when she has to leave the house she just comes to us asking to let her out. And when she wants to enter she just scratches on the window. Last night my mom found her sitting on her ass in front of her cat door lol. She's just too afraid to go through it. Hopefully she'll get over her fear eventually cause she's behaving like a wimp at the moment. You should see her look when she's sitting in front of her door....so cute.

tia clara
Mar 18th, 2002, 10:35 PM
I have such great memories of my son-in-law's dog, Hank. Nelson got him as a puppy and brought him by to see us. Hank was the cutest little ball of golden fur I ever saw. We tried very hard to talk Nels' into letting us have Hank, but he refused. But it all worked out for us. Nels' married my daughter and Hank became a member of my family. What I thought was a unique to Hank activity was that, every night, after everyone was in bed, he would go around to all the bedrooms, upstairs and down, and check to make certain everyone was safe and tucked in. I slept upstairs when I stayed with them and I could hear Hank's claws as he came up the back stairs, along by the bedroom doors, and then down the front stairs to check on Leslie and Nels' in their downstairs bedroom.

After Hank died, I went to stay one time, and as I was going to sleep, I heard his claws, click, click, click, up the stairs, down the hall and down the front stairs. He was still doing his job of making sure we were all there, tucked in and safe.

I was not imagining this, as Nels' and Leslie heard him, too. He finally quit checking when they finally got another dog.

Double Fault
Mar 18th, 2002, 11:56 PM
It's always hard to lose a pet Brian. I've read many posts from you talking about Max over the past years. You must have been very attached to Max. It's very sad.

I can talk about Susie. Susie was a (very) fat black cat that we had years ago. She slept most of the time, only stirred when her stomach rummbled. Susie was mis-treated by her previous owners, so we (me) showered her with affection. That's why she was so FAT. Once I was sent to the supermarket and Susie (unknown until it was too late) followed me. How the hell she walked so far was a miracle because she wasn't the most mobile of cats, but she did. People must have thought I was a loon carrying a (fat) cat around the shop and all the way home. I didn't care what they thought Susie wasn't walking near traffic. Not that she could anyway, she was exhausted.

Susie was a great friend when I was growing up. She lived with us for 15 years until she passed away from old age. That was a sad day.

Hold those memories of Max close Brian. He's still around in spirit. Take care.

TammysBigSis
Mar 19th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Our toy poodle Ranger lived to be 15 1/2. He really seemed to be human at times, and sometimes when it felt like my world was crumbling, it seemed like he was the only one who understood how I felt. I especially remember him for his unconditional love and companionship.

He really made me laugh at times with his canine cleverness. We miss him a lot, but he still visits us in our dreams.

I'm sure Max will always be around for you, Brian. Take care. :angel:

Kuilli
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:19 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your dog, Brian! :sad:

We lost our first dog Tanko six years ago. He was only two years old, and he got hit by a car. A year later we finally got another dog. He is a german shepherd named Wolfy, and he is almost five now. I just can't imagine not having him around. He is such a great dog, and he has been a real joy for us. But, of course, at times he can be a real brat. Couple of months ago he broke out of our backyard, and he was gone almost a day. We spent half a night and morning looking for him, but we couldn't find him. In the evening, when I came home from work, he was sitting next to our front door and waiting for somebody to come home. He also loves to steal food from the table and counters. We rarely leave any food out, but if we forget at times, it's gone. One time, when my mom was visiting us from Estonia, she brought some boxes of choclate, and we left an unopened box on the dining room table. When we came back, it was all gone. I can't believe Wolfy didn't get sick after eating the whole box of choclate. And, of course, he knows when he does something wrong. When we come home and instead of greating us he is just laying on his mat and giving us a guilty look, we know he did something he wasn't supposed to. And, he absolutely loves tennis balls, he can smell them from miles. :) So, we have two stacks of tennis balls in the house. I have my stack, and Wolfy has his. But, of course, I have to hide mine, otherwise they will all be chewed up. :)

Dawn Marie
Mar 19th, 2002, 10:07 AM
http://www.stallionstation.com/dogs

*sigh* A few of you mentioned names of past animals that I so loved. We had a *susie* and a *molly*they were the cutest lil things. :sad:

Brian I am going thru some of what you just went thru with your beloved Max. So I understand and feel your hurt at this time. My beloved Pokey is okay somewhat but her time is near. Infact when I took her out a few days ago, her hindquarters gave out on her 3 times. Needless to say my heart sank watching this and I really don't expect her to be here much longer. Sorry, this post is kinda hitting close to home with me. :sad: I don't wish to make you feel worse,but for me I can't really write funny doggie stories at this time.

Again, I truely find this poem uplifting and it makes me cry everytime. I do believe that our pets are somewhere looking down at us. Just waiting to see us again.

Thinking of you, Brian

Brian Stewart
Mar 19th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the good wishes and the stories, everyone. I'll try to think of an amusing story when I feel up to it.

Max is being buried today. Several years ago, we had gotten him and Bandit a couple of dog beds. They absolutely loved them. Unfortunately for Max, he was too big for them, and had trouble fitting unless he curled up into a tight ball. So my mother made him a bed cushion. It was plenty big, so that he could lay comfortably no matter his position or angle. He took to it immediately. From then on, he would only sleep on that cushion (under the dining room table). Someone could have broken in and completely ransacked the joint, as long as they didn't touch his cushion. That was off-limits. we even had to wait until he went outside to pee before we could change the cover on it.

How fitting it was that he was laying on that cushion when he passed away. That was where he felt the most comfortable. He's going to be laid to rest on that cushion, so he'll be comfortable for all eternity. I imagine Bandit is running him ragged about now, to make up for the years of lost playtime. Perhaps Bandit even introduced him to Grandma. (Max never met her. We got him a month after she died.)

Here's to Max. Thanks for all the good times.

Tim Wilson
Mar 21st, 2002, 03:29 AM
Sorry I'm kind of late to this thread.

I'm really sorry to hear about Max. I know how tough it is to lose a pet that is part of the family. I had lots of dogs growing up including one we got when I was 13 and lost when I was about 22. I still have dreams about her sometimes.

We just adopted a needy adult dog from our local shelter last year. I'm a little surprised at how quickly he's become like part of the family, especially since he was not a puppy when we got him. Anyway, I'm very very attached to him and I will be devastated when he's not around anymore. He's around 8 years old already, but should have a few good years left because it is a small, relatively long-lived breed.

Anyway, Jack is a bit of a cranky old dog who LOVES his sleep. I can totally relate to the bed thing. When we first got him we were crate training him for the first few weeks so we didn't quite know how much he loves to sleep. When he was ready to lose the crate, he started taking naps with me on the bed. Then he started begging me for naps every day when I was trying to do homework. I found that whenever I would leave clothes lying around he made a bed out of them. A fleece sweatshirt (aka dog-hair magnet) I had was his favorite so I got him a big fleece blanket for Christmas. I curl it up into a little bed form him and take it to wherever he wants to be. He adores it and is loathe to leave it - I can't believe how warm he gets in there!

Anyway, all this changed when one day I left two feather pillows (not intentionally) on the floor. He claimed them as his own and now that is is permanent daytime bed. At night, he sleeps on top of our bed and he begs for us to get tired so he can curl up with us and go to sleep. His other favorite thing is to be anyone's arm rest when they are watching tv. He jumps up on a couch (any couch will do) and squirms between you and the arm rest of the couch. Then he wants you to rest your arm on him. Nothing he likes more than to be warm and sleepy.

griffin
Mar 21st, 2002, 01:25 PM
Aww, sounds like someone appreciates his new home :) (sounds like he's got you well-trained, too ;))

vw43
Mar 21st, 2002, 02:46 PM
I'm so sorry about your dog Max, Brian. It's sad but I'm sure he is in doggie heaven playing and pigging out on doggie biscuits.

Our dog, Loki, is a weimeraner/human. The story above reminded me of this funny story of the Lok-dog. I had been saving for a few weeks for this ridiculously expensive Ralph Lauren down comforter that I had to have. I finally broke down and got it and was very pleased with myself. Upon bringing it inside, I got an important phone call and had to run to the bank. I kissed Loki, gave him doggie treats and took off.

Upon returning..I opened the door and I'll I saw we're feathers. Very expensive, feathers from a Ralph Lauren Goose. I found Loki cowered in the back bedroom, obviously recognizing his faux pas, lying under the remnants of the comforter..feathers still is his mouth...I ended up gathering the feathers and stuffing and sewing that fricken comforter for Loki and bought my husband and I a new one.

Loki is the only dog I know that lays his doggie ass on Ralph Lauren...;)

vw43
Mar 21st, 2002, 02:47 PM
it's also funny that he had to chew through the plastic cover to get to the comforter, which made him rather ill. he was crapping plastic and feathers for days...lol..

moon
Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:14 AM
sorry to hear about your loss Brian.
I feel your pain.

i had a dog in highschool that I adored who is no longer alive. One thing about that dog, she really had personality. I would swear that she understood perfect english. anyway think about the good times you had with Max. :) It'll make you feel better.

geoepee
Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:55 AM
I'm sorry to hear this Brian.
Just remember that the good times, special moments and memories that you shared with Max will never change. My deepest sympathy goes out to you Brian.