PDA

View Full Version : Doubles partnerships, who should play with who?

Gowza
Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:43 AM
i dont really follow doubles but a few of the russian girls do team up and with some of the pairings there are debates as to whether they are the most effective pairing for each player in the team.

vera/nastya i know there has been some not debate but opinions said, i havent gone through them or anything but i thought i'd make a thread to see what teams each poster thinks would be good, whether they have already played together or never it doesnt matter just say what you think.

i really dont know how the girls get along with each other and i think to make a good team players have to be friends at least if not good friends so some of my pairings may seem odd to some people but anyway here goes.

vera z/sveta (basically went through juniors together, both still young and very talented and have a lot of experience already) sveta has the all round game plus the power, vera has more of a baseline game a little less power can volley but is a pretty good thinker.

vera d/dinara, dinara went through juniors a bit quicker but they are the same age and seem (from pictures) to be good friends and they both have talent, both young, not as experienced as vera z and sveta but dinara does have a bit of experience. i think they would both get a lot of joy from this partnership and that always improves results and would prob help with the singles as well.

masha/maria k, once again they went through juniors around the same time, masha has the power and the experience, maria k has the allround game and the thinking, if maria k had a bit more experience this team would be awesome i think.

bovina/petrova, both have pretty good serves, hit hard off the ground, good solid volley's, both pretty good doubles players.

elena d/nastya, childhood friends (so they say) around the same age, only weakness in this team are the serves the rest is pretty good.

Chunchun
Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:02 AM
lenaD/linaK

Epigone
Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:00 AM
vera z/sveta (basically went through juniors together, both still young and very talented and have a lot of experience already) sveta has the all round game plus the power, vera has more of a baseline game a little less power can volley but is a pretty good thinker.I thought that they would be a good pairing, but now that Sveta wants to really reduce her doubles schedule, I have my doubts. I would like to see Vera playing as much doubles as possible, so it would only be possible for them to play together at big tournaments.

In addition, Sveta has reportedly decided to partner Alicia Molik at the Australian Open, so it seems that Sveta might already have a partner.

bovina/petrova, both have pretty good serves, hit hard off the ground, good solid volley's, both pretty good doubles players.I think that Nadia and Meghann want to stay together, so a Petrova/Bovina pairing would probably make infrequent appearances for the time being.

Gowza
Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:40 AM
yeah u make good points, this is more of a hypothetical thread more than reality, as you said epigone sveta is rumoured to be partnering alicia molik at the oz open plus she wants to cut down on doubles and nadia will probably want to stay with meghann (they are a pretty good team who could blame her).

its more about which russians would best partner each other i guess is what i was asking.

Daniel
Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:48 AM
VEra Z and Nastya, won doubles in Moscow, and seems to be comfortable with each other :D