PDA

View Full Version : 5 most depressing places you have been to or lived at

strike86
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:55 PM
So then what are the most depressing places you have been to on your travels or lived in. Here is my 5 in no particular order

Croydon, England
Newport, Wales
Portsmouth, England
Hastings, England
Slough, England

Helen Lawson
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:57 PM
Brooklyn, NY

sarza
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:58 PM
My hometown in Kent is pretty depressing

Bacardi
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:59 PM
Cumberland Gap, TN
Harrigate, TN
Harlan, KY
Radford, VA

strike86
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:30 PM
I Sarza wanted to mention a place called Ashford in Kent. With the towns false feeling. Lego style buildings. Lack of Character.Large numbers of Yobbos chavs, and small minded people, not to mention getting beaten up in pubs by locals because you are not Ashford born and bred, its depressing. Not to mention having to wait a hour at Ashford station for a train. Then again the same could be applied to my place of residence that I want to escape from. CRAWLEY.

Lord Chips
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:37 PM
Basildon
Chelmsford
Lambeth
Brescia
Calvisano

apoet29
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:44 PM
1. Parsons, West Virginia
2. Bluefield, West Virginia
3. Beckley, West Virginia
4. Huntington, West Virginia
5. Laidley Hall, Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia

Pengwin
Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:00 PM
IN UK

1. Aylesbury
2. Cranfield
3. Birmingham
4. London
5. Everywhere else (Except MILTON KEYNES)

CooCooCachoo
Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:45 PM
1. Köln Central Station, Germany (Köln is Cologne)
2. Maarssen, The Netherlands
3. Boissy-sous-St.-Yon, France
4. Kockelscheuer, Luxembourg
5. Red Light District, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

jelena4me
Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:37 AM
Strike86, Portsmouth can appear pretty appalling at times I agree, but I actually like it and think it has loads of great stong points to counteract its bad ones!

I cant think of any strongpoints for Croydon though.

My 5 would be:
- Bracknell, England
- Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
- Enfield and much of North London surrounding it.
- Liverpool,England
- Harlesdon, England (words fail me to describe this place)

Abroad, I would have to consider:
- Nadi, Fiji
- South Auckland (NZ)
- Benidorm, Spain
- Calais, France
- Athens, Greece (apart from the very centre bit)

Lemonskin.
Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:54 AM
Redfern (Sydney suburb)
Redfern (Sydney suburb)
Redfern (Sydney suburb)
Redfern (Sydney suburb)
Nimbin (Hippie town near northern NSW)

*abby*
Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:20 AM
bradford- i have lived here all my life and the whole place just depresses me so i am going far far away when i go to university next year!!!!

Navratilove
Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:22 AM
Redfern (Sydney suburb)
Redfern (Sydney suburb)
Redfern (Sydney suburb)
Redfern (Sydney suburb)
Nimbin (Hippie town near northern NSW)

Redfern... :hearts: That's the station where I used to catch a train.. what a lovelyplace.. especially at night.. good old memories...

Lord Chips
Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:28 AM
- Harlesdon, England (words fail me to describe this place)*Shudders* How could I forget Harlesdon? I have to go there for work occasionally and always try doing a sickie when I have to go there.

OUT!
Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:29 AM
In the UK:

Coventry, England

Llanelli, Wales

Birmingham, England

Bradford, England

Middlesborough, England

I just loooove London so much, even the poor districts. The best place I've ever been to, lol. :hearts:

Abroad:

Evanston, IL, USA - I was a student there and very unexciting place

France period - so rude and do not speak English or pretend not to (how arrogant of me). It is pretty though.

Jamaica - very homophobic and machismo culture prevails.

Can't think of any others overseas, I really enjoy my travels.

sarza
Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:46 AM
1. Köln Central Station, Germany (Köln is Cologne)
2. Maarssen, The Netherlands
3. Boissy-sous-St.-Yon, France
4. Kockelscheuer, Luxembourg
5. Red Light District, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

i really agree with you on Kockelscheuer, Luxembourg :) No life whatsoever we went to there town centre is was deserted :lol: the traffic was a nightmare and the only thing i can really remember is petrol stations at every 10 metres :rolleyes:

But on a plus note there is some amazing buildings :D

Cassius
Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:51 AM
In Britain:
1. Manchester - no explanation needed.

2. Wales - I have family there who I love very much, so I go there often, but it rains ALL the time, the slate mountains and grey sky are just depressing.

3. Scotland - See 'Wales'.

4. London - It's astonishing how Londoners think their city has 'character', when in fact it's just full of rude people.

5. Milton Fucking Keynes - A drab souless place built in the gridded American way, trying to be the new New York, but quite frankly it's ridiculous. It's also bad because you can get into it easy enough, but because of all the bloody roundabouts it's soooo damn hard to get out (it was built like that on purpose I'm sure).

Abroad:
1. Luxembourg - I went there once, and the road on which we entered was lined on both sides by petrol stations and fast food joints along the entire way. We turned around at the first roundabout and went to Germany instead. My entire stay in Luxembourg lasted about 6 minutes.

2. Madrid - Not as visually stunning as Barcelona, and the people aren't as friendly as Bilbao. I was disappointed.

3. Austria - Like a little Germany, but the people weren't as friendly, and it's very boring.

4. Paris - The people are rude and up themselves. Even when I tried to speak French they were unhelpful (unlike in Marseille, where they were friendly. Germany was good like that, as soon as I tried to speak some German, most of the people I met were very helpful). Anyway, Parisians seem to think they are better than everyone else (and they don't mind telling you so), just because they're born in Paris.

5. Holland/Belgium - Belgium was boring but the people were nice, Amsterdam was exciting but the people were unhelpful, so I'm not entirely sure which to choose, so I choose both.

OUT!
Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:55 AM
4. Paris - The people are rude and up themselves. Even when I tried to speak French they were unhelpful (unlike in Marseille, where they were friendly. Germnay was good like that, as soon as I tried to speak some German, most of the people I met were very helpful). Anyway, Parisians seem to think they are better than everyone else (and they don't mind telling you so), just because they're born in Paris.
Yes, I really dislike France, although I am planning to go there hopefully with some wtaworld friends of mine ;) I will be on my best behaviour, I promise :D

Lemonskin.
Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:08 AM
Redfern... :hearts: That's the station where I used to catch a train.. what a lovelyplace.. especially at night.. good old memories...
:scared: :scared:

Beefy
Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:24 AM
Melton (Victoria, Australia)
Launcestion (Tasmania, Australia)
Cranbourne (Vic, Aus)

mandy7
Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:46 AM
been to, not lived in
1-5: amsterdam south
1-5: amsterdam east
1-5: amsterdam north
1-5: amsterdam west
1-5: amsterdam central

Beefy
Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:22 AM
I don't find your selections that surprising I must say

LindsayRulez
Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:48 AM
The most depressing place I've lived in is THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, with dumbass Bush as president (probably again)