PDA

View Full Version : I am quitting my religion.

Hulet
Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:50 PM
I went to church this past weekend for the last time to renounce my religion. :yay:

Unfortunately, starting from sunday (the day after I quit), I started waking up late at night sweating from a middle of a horrid nightmare and had to cross myself profusely to calm myself down. For some reason, I feel like I have turned into some evil character in league with the devil. In the clear light of day, I can see that all this nightmare and guilt is just the 24 years of religions indoctrination working to imprison me. But, at night, it's all different. I am not quite sure when I wake up from this nightmares. Hopefully, they will stop soon.

Did anyone experience the same thing when they quit their religion?

Paneru
Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:55 PM
In my experience, it wasn't the religion per say that
I questioned but the people. Many corrupt ministers
and such. Preach one thing and live another.

Also, the people where I used to go were so gossipy and
judgemental of anything and everything!

I decided that I don't need to be a part of
a church to have a relationship with God.

I think it's good to question and
find out for yourself, not be a sheep
blindly following.

The Crow
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:20 PM
:worship: Kabuke (not blindly following him/her like a sheep though ;))

Helen Lawson
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:48 PM
I'm too busy with my career, memorizing lines, signing autographs, making movies, and being a movie star. So, I don't have time to think for myself as far as religion goes, so I'm into the sheep thing.

Truthwillout
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:55 PM
I love being a solipsist

LeonHart
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:58 PM
Any reason why you quit your religion?

As for me, I'm atheist, but I believe in God, just dont go to church. My aunts/uncles families are all Christian, and they really want to convert my mom (who in turn is trying to convert me).

GoDominique
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:03 PM
As for me, I'm atheist, but I believe in God.
That's a contradiction. ;)

Truthwillout
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:03 PM

As for me, I'm atheist, but I believe in God

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

LeonHart
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:06 PM
Yeah but I'm not any other relgion. So what do I call myself?!?! I guess I'm a "nothing" :o

Tennis Fool
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:09 PM
Yeah but I'm not any other relgion. So what do I call myself?!?! I guess I'm a "nothing" :o
Heathen ;)

kabuki
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:10 PM
Good luck, Psychon. One can live a full and meaningful life without ascribing to a religion. For me, I found that studying all the world's religions really helped me gain perspective. I found that in essence, the main religions all promote basic human love, dignity, and kindness. There are universal truths inherent to all religion, and those are worth paying attention to. Realizing that, I was able to let go of my religion, and pursue a spiritual life, not a religious life. Get involved in your community. Giving is a wonderful way to reinforce your internal moral compass. Again, good luck.

alfajeffster
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:55 PM
I worshipped at the altar of St. Peter yesterday morning, but just couldn't go there again today.

ys
Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:09 PM
"Religion is the people's opium" Karl Marx

Berlin_Calling
Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:14 PM
You aren't Athiest. You are Agnostic.

ys
Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:22 PM

You both have no clue what the words used by you actually mean..

Crazy Canuck
Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:27 PM
Then why doesn't he share his evidence of God with the rest of us? ;)

Berlin_Calling
Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:29 PM
He believes there is a God, but does not follow a specific religion. Being Atheist means believing in the existence of no God, and being Agnostic is believing in the existence of a higher being.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:36 PM
Chrispy... agnostics are doubtful about the existence of God, where as LeonHart isn't. That's why you're mistaken :p

Barrie_Dude
Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:42 PM
Well, I feel that one can be a believer and be religious without going to church. I am a believer, but I have a real problem with organized religon as a whole and have many arguments against it, but too many to list here. Suffice it to sday that organized religon has come to represent man as God rather than God himself. There are far too many people out there that have done far too many horrifying things in the name of God or religon for me to give it any credibility. But, alas, I do belioeve that there is a God

Hulet
Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the support. :) It's good to see that my reason for giving up religion is not that unusual - like Barrie_Dude, Kabuke and LeonHart, I still believe there is a God (hence the guilt and nightmare for quitting the religion) but I just can't bring myself, in good conscience, to enter a church anymore - considering the many people who pass through the same/similar doors but don't back down from doing "evil" or from inciting intolerance. So, that's why I guess I am having a problem. On one hand, deep down, I still believe in God, Sin and Punishment; on the other, I still don't want to follow the religion because I don't want to be associated with the followers. :confused: But, I will sort it out.

faboozadoo15
Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:33 AM
you guys need to follow your heart and not people. don't let what anyone says or does change what you believe. people interpret god and the use of god differently, and some use god to control people. don't let that stand in the way of you deepening your relationship with god if you do believe that god exists.
that's my piece.
i don't always like it when people say they don't believe in god/ lost belief in god because of what goes on on earth (corruption in churches, for example). people misinterpret everything wrongly, so why not god. just follow your beliefs.

Cassius
Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:08 AM
Psychon, instead of quitting religion when you still believe in god, why not start you're own sect, while still remaining in the christian sphere?
That's what I would do (of course, I don't actually believe in god but have been trying for the past couple of years to set myself up as one;) )

rand
Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:12 AM

As for me, I'm atheist, but I believe in God, just dont go to church. My aunts/uncles families are all Christian, and they really want to convert my mom (who in turn is trying to convert me).
then you're not an atheist :rolleyes:
atheist implies not believing in G'd...

OUT!
Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:16 AM
You aren't Athiest. You are Agnostic.Gosh let me settle this for everybody - the person in question is a Deist. Neither Agnostic nor Athiest. :)

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:55 AM
A deist is something else again, i.e, someone who believes that God created the universe but does not remain in a relationship with it. Presumably this hands-off deity just watches and takes bemused notes. There are actually some good arguments for deism, as opposed to theism, but no one has raised them on this thread.

Meanwhile, Thor rules!!!!!!! :worship:

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:01 AM
He believes there is a God, but does not follow a specific religion. Being Atheist means believing in the existence of no God, and being Agnostic is believing in the existence of a higher being.
Sigh!

*joui gives another free philosophy lesson*

The word "gnosis" means "knowledge". A gnostic claims to have esoteric knowledge that is denied to the rest of us. An agnostic denies that it is possible to have knowledge about such issues as whether or not there is a god.

Hulet
Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:58 PM
you guys need to follow your heart and not people. don't let what anyone says or does change what you believe. people interpret god and the use of god differently, and some use god to control people. don't let that stand in the way of you deepening your relationship with god if you do believe that god exists.
that's my piece.
i don't always like it when people say they don't believe in god/ lost belief in god because of what goes on on earth (corruption in churches, for example). people misinterpret everything wrongly, so why not god. just follow your beliefs.
Sometimes, I agree with your reasoning, other times I disagree. (I am a flip-flopper :yay: :) ) The reason I disagree is because giving up on your religion as a result of the action of the followers of that religion is a legitimate reason. If most of your fellow church-goers are hypocritical and intolerant of followers of different denomination, and if this is not just an isolated pattern but occured throughout the history of your religion and wherever it is practiced, then there must be something wrong with the teaching of your religion. Either this religion implicitly promotes hatred or other evils it's supposed to prevent or it fails to consistently preach against these evils. If a religion fails at that, then what's its use?

I think of religion sort of the way I think of communism. I admire its ideals but for some reason it becomes impractical in todays world. Its ideals are perverted into something completely opposite - like dictatorship and economic collapse. Similarly, if a religion gets misinterpreted almost all the time to justify evil or is incapable of preventing evil, then, despite it's ideals, it's impractical to practice it in this world.

So, as cassius and kabuki said, it's personally better for me to hammer out my relationship with God on my own terms. Free from any religious teachings and ethics. This actually makes me more responsible since I have to justify every major action I take without the comfort of religios sanctions.

Darop.
Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:20 PM
Enormous contradiction :p