PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to Ireland?

apoet29
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
I am tried to plan a trip this summer to Ireland and I was wondering if anyone has been to Ireland and can give me some pointers. :)

propi
Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:11 PM
:wavey: I won't be too helpful but I think this address may be :)
http://www.ireland.ie
That about tourism will help you :)
Things to see... Cliffs of Moher it's in the Shannon region I was told it's one of the most impressive landscapes you can see :)
The part I know more of the island is the British part, Northern Ireland... from there it's nice to visit the northern part, where the Giants' causeway is a funny piece of coast with geometrical stones... plus there's a nice old castle there whose name I don't remember :p
Belfast is quite fine... you can take one of the black cabs that will take you to the Falls area, where the paintings are, while telling you stories about each painting, the cityhall and the area around it is really nice as well :)
Londonderry/Derry is worth a visit as well, plus it shouldn't take you too long :)
Hope it helps :wavey:

englishjenfan
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:51 PM
Yes i have been and its full of boring green! Grass, bushes, hills, parks etc. But i'm sure you'll have fun, it is good if your an active sort of person.
*Emily*

rightous
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:24 PM
i have been a couple of times;) !!!!lol where are you planning on goin on going to. You'll have to go to Dublin, Cork, Belfast. Try paddy wagons tours they are quite good I have heard.

Dahveed
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:38 PM
The part I know more of the island is the British part, Northern Ireland... from there it's nice to visit the northern part, where the Giants' causeway is a funny piece of coast with geometrical stones... plus there's a nice old castle there whose name I don't remember :p
I'm guessing Dunluce Castle? The Antrim Coast is so beautiful, i was amazed by the beauty of the northern parts of Ireland.. haven't seen much of the Republic of Ireland but Dublin (which is a must see!!!) but yeah i spent 3 months in Belfast and saw the whole of N.I. and i really recommend it to anyone planning a lil trip there. It's very easy to travel by train throughout the province and really cheap!! There's a nice organised tour where you see this castle and also the Carrick A Rede (sp??) rope bridge! So impressive and so beautiful if the weather's good! And also a whisky distillery! Really nice tour.

Belfast is quite fine... you can take one of the black cabs that will take you to the Falls area, where the paintings are, while telling you stories about each painting, the cityhall and the area around it is really nice as well :)
Londonderry/Derry is worth a visit as well, plus it shouldn't take you too long :)
Hope it helps :wavey:
Yup, go wander in the streets, it's very interesting historically and politically speaking.. Londonderry got me all depressed to be honest, this city was so sad, you can feel the history of it but it was very interesting.

Hope you enjoy your trip there, i'm also planning to go back there someday cos it's my fave country so far, people are also so friendly there! You'll love it!

jenny161185
Nov 2nd, 2004, 09:10 PM
Emily Im dissapointed how can you say Ireland is boring! apoet29 you should try and visit the Blarney stone in Cork and the Cliffs of Moher then on to Dublin - we can meet for a few drinks! and theres lots of sites to see in Dublin!

New_balls_please
Nov 2nd, 2004, 09:19 PM
I went to Ireland three or four years ago. I visited Tralee, a city near Cork. I enjoyed myself. :D

CooCooCachoo
Nov 2nd, 2004, 09:35 PM
I would love to go there :hearts:

salima
Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:41 PM
I have been there a couple of times, my youngest daughter "was made there"

My advise is , go there, travel slowly, talk to people, find a pub, go to the horse races. Enjoy:) :) :) :)

*Karen*
Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:50 PM
I'd like to go to Dublin, but I've heard you have to be 21 to get into a bar and now you can't even smoke there.

apoet29
Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:53 PM
God, it really sounds wonderful there. I am trying to start planning this trip for this summer. Thanks for all the info!

Lord Chips
Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:01 AM
and theres lots of sites to see in Dublin!I must have missed them on my visit, I walked into the court yard at Trinity College, walked around it and back out again in 3 minutes and straight off to Lownsdowne Road via several pubs
I'd like to go to Dublin, but I've heard you have to be 21 to get into a bar and now you can't even smoke there.They never kicked me out of any pubs or asked for ID, although I didn't drink any alcahol or go to the bar to buy a round (I gave the money to other people ;))

One of the friends I was with when I was in Dublin is a smoker and even she said how nice it was to be in a pub and not having smoke everywhere. Personally, I think its a great idea

rightous
Nov 4th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Karen smoking i banned in Ireland, but you have to 18 to drink, not 21.

The Giant's Causeway is pretty cool, and all up around the Antrim Coast is quite beautiful, if u can go to Donegal and Cork, IMHO the best scenery in Ireland. Donegal is quite remote.

Dublin, go to trinity college, Landsdowne Rd, That drink we all drink, god wot do u call it;) it has a cool factory and u get a free drink!!!!lol

Belfast, the black cab tours are pretty cool, city hall area has good shops, go to queen's university, and teh docks to see where the titantic was build, althou in r defence it had an english captain sailing it;)

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 4th, 2004, 04:13 PM
I personally have only been to Ireland once, Wexford I think the place was called, and I really didn't like it at all! :bolt: :o

But my Uncle has been over to Dublin twice to see Wales V Ireland at Lansdowne Road and he's loved it both times and it's meant to be a great city! :yeah: Actually I've just remembered a positive about my trip and that is that the Guinness was fantastic!! :lick: :) :drink:

I've always wanted to go to Cork as well because it looks pretty nice from what I've seen!

rightous
Nov 4th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Dirty Sanchez even people in Wexford hate Wexford, but its not that bad a place.

I hate Guinness, don't like it at all

duck
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:40 PM
I am tried to plan a trip this summer to Ireland and I was wondering if anyone has been to Ireland and can give me some pointers. :)
Noo-one has mentioned Galway and Connemara yet. Both on the west coast and Galway is a small university city- very lively social scene and excellent tradition in live music. Connemara has some beautiful scenery and the Aran islands and Achill Island further north come highly recommended. A lot of Connemara is a Gaeltacht area so the natives speak Irish.

One word of warning: Ireland is extremely expensive - the second most expensive country in the Eurozone. Budget carefully and avoid the slow and costly trains if at all possible. Sometimes flights between cities ( e.g. Belfast to Cork) can work out cheaper than trainfares so check those out.
Enjoy! :)

Mildred Pierce
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Which one are you planning on visiting?

Republic of Ireland/Eire or Norn Iron (as the locals refer to it)?