PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Blacks to be bullied into not voting.

Wigglytuff
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:21 PM
Court OKs GOP bid to challenge voters
Chicago Tribune

By Tim Jones Tribune national correspondent

Hours before the polls were to open in Ohio, a federal appeals court cleared the way early Tuesday for Republican Party efforts to challenge voters' eligibility at polling places in the state, legal representatives on both sides of the issue said.

A lawyer for a black couple who sought to stop the practice said shortly after midnight he had already asked the Supreme Court to block the circuit court ruling, The Associated Press reported Tuesday.

The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (news - web sites) in Cincinnati consolidated both lower court cases and ruled that the challengers could be present at the polls, The AP said.

The unusual late-night hearing came after Republicans suffered a setback when two federal judges declared the challenges unconstitutional. The rulings drew into sharp focus the political stakes in this strategically important state with 20 electoral votes.

The legal storm over alleged fraud and claims of voter intimidation in Ohio gained strength as several other closely contested states drew scrutiny from lawyers, independent poll watchers and political parties.

Republicans and Democrats prepared to send thousands of lawyers and observers to potential trouble spots, including Florida, where the disputed presidential election four years ago was decided by 537 votes. By the time voting booths open in Florida on Tuesday, about 20 percent of the state's voters already will have cast ballots. Nationwide, a heavy voter turnout is forecast.

In Missouri, Democratic activists and civil rights officials also charged that Republicans were planning to send poll watchers to challenge the credentials of newly registered black voters in predominantly African-American precincts in St. Louis County. Republicans strongly denied the allegation.

"There's a suspicion that the Republican game plan is to hold down the count in the African-American community," said Harold Crumpton, president of the St. Louis branch of the NAACP. "We do not want unqualified people voting. But there are unqualified voters in the white community, too, yet Republicans are not planning on scrutinizing them."

Sara Howard, spokeswoman for America Coming Together, a Democratic advocacy group, claimed Republicans had obtained lists of 125,000 newly registered Democratic voters, many of them black, and were planning on challenging a large number of them to produce proof of their identity and residence.

But Republican officials countered that they are only planning to send observers to known "problem areas" to ensure that no ineligible voters are allowed to cast ballots.

"We are not targeting African-American areas whatsoever," said Paul Sloca, spokesman for the Missouri Republican Party. "We're just looking at all voters to make sure their information is accurate and that the people of Missouri who are eligible to vote cast a single vote."

35,000 registrations at issue

In Ohio, about 800,000 new voters have been registered this year, and Republicans contend that at least 35,000 of those registrations could be fraudulent. The GOP has more than 3,600 polling place observers ready to challenge voters Tuesday in 30 of the state's 88 counties--if the courts allow.

Democrats, noting that many of the challenges have been filed in areas of the state with large black populations, argue the GOP is engaged in voter harassment.

Hundreds of Republican and Democratic Party election lawyers, many of whom have been engaged a furious exchange of litigation, are poised to continue the fight after Tuesday, if need be.

Edward Foley, a professor at Ohio State University's Moritz College of Law, called the mobilization of lawyers "extraordinary." He said lawsuits are proliferating because there "is a perception that litigation mattered the last time."

The Ohio Poll, released Monday by the University of Cincinnati, showed Bush and Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) locked in a statistical tie. Voter turnout here is projected to be 72 percent of registered voters. No Republican has advanced to the White House without winning Ohio.

Foley said that if the margin of victory in Ohio is 1 percent or less of the total vote and Ohio's 20 electoral votes could tilt the national outcome, lawyers almost certainly will be back in court.

Cincinnati, Akron rulings

Monday's district court rulings upped the legal ante. U.S. District Judge Susan Dlott of Cincinnati said the Ohio law allowing challengers at polling places is unconstitutional. Inexperienced challengers would impede the voting process, said Dlott, ruling on a suit filed by a black Cincinnati couple who said Republicans were trying to intimidate black voters.

U.S. District Judge John Adams of Akron ruled on a suit from the Summit County Democratic Party, which argued that GOP challenges to voter registration did not allow disqualified voters to appeal in time for the election.

Adams said poll workers, not private individuals representing political parties, are the people responsible for determining whether voters are eligible.

"The court cannot and must not turn a blind eye to the substantial likelihood that significant harm will result not only to voters, but also to the voting process itself, if appointed challengers are permitted at the polls," Adams said.

David Sullivan, who heads the Democratic Party's Voter Protection Program in Ohio, said Republicans had no evidence of fraud. Mark Weaver, lawyer for the Ohio Republican Party, said there are "mountains and mountains of fraudulent registrations."

But Ohio Republicans are not unified on the matter. Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell, Ohio's chief elections officer and an African-American, said Monday that he was pleased with the lower court rulings, calling them a "victory for Ohio voters."

"The absence of these challengers will make Ohio's polling places more inviting to our voters," Blackwell said.

cheesestix
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:25 PM
How is that "bullying"?

What's wrong with making someone show proof of residence or a photo id?

Also, wasn't there a county in Ohio that had more registered voters than citizens of that county???? Gee, that doesn't need to be watched. :rolleyes:

Wigglytuff
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:28 PM
How is that "bullying"?

Also, wasn't there a county in Ohio that had more registered voters than citizens of that county???? Gee, that doesn't need to be watched. :rolleyes:

1-whats wrong with asking the same of WHITE VOTERS IN OTHER FUCKING AREAS!!!?

2- THERE IS NO APPEAL PROCESS FOR ALLOWING THE VOTER TO CAST HIS BALLOT IN TIME. PERIOD.

3-PEOPLE MOVE DOOMASE. PARTICULARLY POOR PEOPLE.

SJW
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:29 PM
why aren't the democrats ever accused of trying to intimidate voters? :)

Wigglytuff
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:31 PM
why aren't the democrats ever accused of trying to intimidate voters? :)

well, its easy, all one has to do, is find an article and post it. that is unless, there are no articles to post. ;)

fammmmedspin
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:35 PM
Amazing. We just compile a register here and you vote. You can't register for a car lot or mickey mouse's house as you wouldn't get the form in the first place.

Anyone know why but there are reports of voting boxes starting the day already stufed with completed ballots in Philadelphia - is that in a marginal state?

cheesestix
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:51 PM
1-whats wrong with asking the same of WHITE VOTERS IN OTHER FUCKING AREAS!!!?

2- THERE IS NO APPEAL PROCESS FOR ALLOWING THE VOTER TO CAST HIS BALLOT IN TIME. PERIOD.

3-PEOPLE MOVE DOOMASE. PARTICULARLY POOR PEOPLE.

1- Hey, if the Democrats wanna do that too, good for them. What's the problem with making sure that someone is legal?

3 - Even Mary Poppins and Dick Tracy?

People in Florida were bitching about having to show their picture ID. Well, guess what? It's the law! :rolleyes:

Cariaoke
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:54 PM
Not in Georgia.

there's at least 14 different things you can show to prove you're you including a social security card that doesn't have a photo ID.

But is anyone really surprised this is going on... :lol: Can't you win fair and square? Oh wait... four years ago. nevermind.

AjdeNate!
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:59 PM
Not in Georgia.

there's at least 14 different things you can show to prove you're you including a social security card that doesn't have a photo ID.

But is anyone really surprised this is going on... :lol: Can't you win fair and square? Oh wait... four years ago. nevermind.
:haha: Good one!

I knew the election judges at my polling place. They were like "Hey Nathan, sign this and here you go". It was very nice actually to not have any hastle. I cannot imagine being questioned or whatever. Does every state have voter registration cards? I mean can't they just be shown with some sort of pic id? I'm just confused as to the GOPs tactics. oh wait, no I'm not.

AjdeNate!
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:00 PM
Not in Georgia.

btw, I repped you but I'm :retard: so I hit enter before I typed it up.... so... :p

Helen Lawson
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:04 PM
Sorry, but how hard is it to show up with your voters' card and a photo i.d.?

AjdeNate!
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:05 PM
recurring nightmares that I would hit the button for Bush:lol:
OMG!! I had the same thought! I was like soooooooo deliberate and careful with my little marking. And I doulbe checked it like 23 times to make sure it was JKer/JEd not King George II & Pious Dick. :tape:

Cariaoke
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:06 PM
:haha: Good one!

I knew the election judges at my polling place. They were like "Hey Nathan, sign this and here you go". It was very nice actually to not have any hastle. I cannot imagine being questioned or whatever. Does every state have voter registration cards? I mean can't they just be shown with some sort of pic id? I'm just confused as to the GOPs tactics. oh wait, no I'm not.
:haha: :kiss:

thx for the rep! :bounce:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Pious Dick. :tape:

:scared:

Cariaoke
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Joy and Nate are so stupid!

I know what you mean. I had to make sure and review the entire ballot like four times! :lol:

did you guys have the electronic voting with the computers? It was really neat.

Cariaoke
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:08 PM
:scared:
not that kind, sicko! :tape:

Wigglytuff
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:16 PM
1- Hey, if the Democrats wanna do that too, good for them. What's the problem with making sure that someone is legal?

3 - Even Mary Poppins and Dick Tracy?

People in Florida were bitching about having to show their picture ID. Well, guess what? It's the law! :rolleyes:

what the fuck is your damage are you still not getting that there is NO APPEALS PROCESS.

or that the dick tracy guy was CAUGHT!!! or you are you just a classic :retard: unable to understand that people have a right to vote.

Martian Willow
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:18 PM

What's wrong with making sure only people who are eligible to vote register in the first place, so you don't need Republican heavys to police your election? Or is that too difficult for a banana republic like America?

AjdeNate!
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:22 PM
Joy and Nate are so stupid!

I know what you mean. I had to make sure and review the entire ballot like four times! :lol:

did you guys have the electronic voting with the computers? It was really neat.I did it with a pen, filling in little circles... then I fed the ballot into an electronic monitoring machine thinghie. We had those for 2 primaries and this is the 1st general el. they used them for.

SJW
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:24 PM
What's wrong with making sure only people who are eligible to vote register in the first place, so you don't need Republican heavys to police your election? Or is that too difficult for a banana republic like America?

:worship:

Cariaoke
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:27 PM
:lol:

Cari:wavey: yeah, I had the computer but you should have seen me after i pressed the button next to Kerry- i checked like about 10 times to see if it said Kerry, and Democrat, then i doubled check for Edwards' name because i swear i didn't see it at first:tape: I had to be sure because with all the teefing the Republicans carrying on with, i had to make sure that after i hit Kerry, it didn't turn to Bush:tape: But on a serious note, I shed a tear after because it was my first time voting and I thought of ALL the Black Americans who never had the opportunity:sad:

Exactly Willow- I don't get it, South Africa prolly has a better system:confused:
awww Joy! :hug:

but that I kept reading Kerry/Edwards and my eyes got crossed! :lol: I thought it said Ron Edwards... I was like "see, there they go!" I had to calm myself down a bit! :lol: :o

Cariaoke
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:28 PM
and :yeah: @ Willow

Helen Lawson
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:30 PM
I can't believe how young you people are. When I was born, women couldn't even vote! My first election where I could vote was the 1940 election with FDR v. Wendell Wilkie. I was an FDR gal, always was, so I voted for him. I've seen so many wonderful Presidents. I like Ike the best, and Nixon was a big fan of mine, he's one of the few people whom I permitted to call me "Hel" to my face, and then he'd slap me on the ass. It's flattering to have a U.S. president slap you in the ass!

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:30 PM
:sad: Nobody voted for me...I'm running on the gay ticket...:o

Cariaoke
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:33 PM
:sad: Nobody voted for me...I'm running on the gay ticket...:o
I thought you'd win in a landslide.

OH NO I DIDN'T!

:haha: :lol: :haha: :lol:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:37 PM
I thought you'd win in a landslide.

OH NO I DIDN'T!

:haha: :lol: :haha: :lol:
Care to be my running mate? Our slogan is "get UP the vote..." :angel: ;)

SJW
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:39 PM
:rolleyes:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
:rolleyes: back atchya bitch...:rolleyes:

JK...:kiss:

SJW
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:43 PM
:rolleyes: back atchya bitch...:rolleyes:

JK...:kiss:

:mad::fiery:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
:mad::fiery:

Save the drama for your momma...I just sent you a PM...:rolleyes:

Cariaoke
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Care to be my running mate? Our slogan is "get UP the vote..." :angel: ;)
the only thing I'm running is away. *dead*

:kiss:

lizchris
Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:52 PM
How is that "bullying"?

The county had more registered voters than citizens because they had not purged their rolls in over 40 years to remove the names of people who died. Once they do that, everything will be fine.