PDA

View Full Version : Have you read the Da Vinci Code?

grmbl
Nov 1st, 2004, 09:41 PM
What do you think? I'm going to buy it tomorrow.

Helen Lawson
Nov 1st, 2004, 09:48 PM
It sucked. There's no part in it for me when it's made into a movie. That's my criteria for whether a book is good. I'm too old for Sofie Neveau.

The characters are terrible, unlikable, phony, just dreadful. The dialog is beyond horrible, so hokey, cliched, dreadful. They have silly, Keystone cops get-aways. The writing is atrocious, this is no piece of literature.

Despite this, it's a pretty fast-paced, interesting mystery that moves very quickly and keeps you guessing. I finished it in one weekend. You'll be laughing and gagging at how stupid it is in many, many parts though. Also, not to destroy the ending, so I won't, but it takes a "controversial" look to say the least about the life of Christ and the Catholic church. It didn't offend me, and I'm Catholic (converted for Floyd). It greatly offended many Christians and Catholics, however.

It's ok, but don't expect too much.

grmbl
Nov 1st, 2004, 09:49 PM
OK tnx!! :D

Tennis Fool
Nov 1st, 2004, 10:24 PM
Possibly one of the worst books I've ever read. Pure garbage at every level.

Philbo
Nov 1st, 2004, 10:44 PM
I loved it.

I loved the interesting facts about how christianity overtook paganism and turned their sacred symbols of Venus and Love etc into Satanic signs i.e the Asterix that we identify as a symbol of satanists actually used to represent Venus..intersting stuff like that was fun to read about..

ANd I really enjoyed the alternative theory the book puts forward about Christs life. Im not sure if he married Mary Magdalene or not - but I am CERTAIN that the bible is a tool that has been manipulated by MEN over the last 2000 years to use as a tool with which to control the masses.

I believe they did have to back and rewrite the bible to take out any 'earthly' signs of Jesus - to remove any hint that he lead a 'normal' life and make him into more of a deity.

The bible as we know it has had stuff kept out of it, stuff put into it etc...If you really want the message of Jesus its still in the bible, but mixed in with a lot of 'controlling' bullshit that the men of the day needed to put in there to protect their power and ensure they were able to control people through fear.

The book is pretty out there and sensational in its claims - but if it just gets people to question the bullshit we are fed at a young age about what god wants and doesnt want from us then it has achieved a good thing.

The thing is that people are so lazy and desperate to be told WHAT to think that noone questions what we are taught..but i see this book as one tool that is causing momentum in a huge shift among the worlds population toward questioning what the truth of life really is.

Tennis Fool
Nov 1st, 2004, 10:52 PM
Czech fan, I knew about the themes in the book before reading it, and some of them are based on a hoax about the Priory of Scion (Wokkel: I not giving away spoilers!)

Anyway, I could not stomach the writing, and after a great setup scene, the rest of the book could not deliver.

ptkten
Nov 1st, 2004, 10:55 PM
I personally thought it was a great book, definitely worth reading

xr6turbo
Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:19 AM
I thought it was great...

Volcana
Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:24 AM
I read it. I enjoyed it. It does require an open mind.

Jericho
Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:25 AM
great book ;) ... i liked angels and demons better tho

bionic71
Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:57 AM
A good, fast paced read. Enjoyed it.

MS
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:11 AM
I also likes it a lot, interesting till the end ;)

Dr. Peedy
Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:06 AM
Enjoyed it immensely. :)

Brian Stewart
Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:38 AM
Haven't read it yet, but would like to. (As soon as the local library gets it.) Saw a documentary on it.

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:57 AM
I bought it 2 months ago, but I'm too lazy to start reading this big book :tape::p

skanky~skanketta
Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:11 PM
i thoroughly enjoyed it!