PDA

View Full Version : Cheney: Kerry Took Poll on Bin Laden Tape

cheesestix
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:02 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&u=/ap/20041031/ap_on_el_pr/cheney_37&printer=1

Sun Oct 31, 6:50 PM ET

By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer

LOS LUNAS, N.M. - Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) said Sunday that Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites)'s first response to Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s new videotape was to take a poll to find out what he should say about it.

A spokesman for Kerry's campaign did not deny polling on the bin Laden videotape, but suggested President Bush (news - web sites) has done so. Bush's campaign strategist denied asking any poll questions about the al-Qaida terrorist.

"The thing that I find amazing about it is that John Kerry's first response was to go conduct a poll," Cheney told supporters in Fort Dodge, Iowa. "He went into the field ... to find out what he should say about this tape of Osama bin Laden."

"It's as though he doesn't know what he believes until he has to go and check the polls, his finger in the air, to see which way the wind is blowing and then he'll make a decision," said the vice president, who offered no evidence to back up his claim. "George Bush (news - web sites) doesn't need a poll to know what he believes, especially about Osama bin Laden."

"I don't think that's a man who is up to the task of being commander in chief," Cheney said of Kerry.

Kerry spokesman Joe Lockhart said Cheney "should examine his own house before throwing stones."

Asked whether Kerry's polls included questions about the videotape, Lockhart said, "We don't talk about our internal polls."

Matthew Dowd, the Bush campaign's strategist, denied asking about the videotape.

"We have not asked any questions related to bin Laden, this tape, or any other tape in our polling," Dowd said. "The president stands on principle and so does the campaign."

Lockhart said Cheney was referring to a Democracy Corps poll and inaccurately linked it to the Kerry campaign's private polling. Democracy Corps is a Democratic organization and not part of the Kerry campaign, though its management has worked closely with Kerry's team.

Its most recent poll asked voters about the bin Laden tape and found that more people said it made them feel like Bush had taken his "eye off the ball" in the war on terror than thought it underscored the importance of the president's approach.

A conference call with reporters on the poll included Kerry campaign staffers.

"For the Kerry campaign to say that this poll is not their own is laughable when Tad Devine and Joe Lockhart are the ones presenting the results," Cheney campaign spokeswoman Anne Womack said as the vice president arrived in New Mexico for a campaign appearance.

Kerry campaign spokesman Phil Singer said, "For the Bush campaign to continue making this charge when they know it's not true is laughable."

Cheney's new attack followed his comments earlier in the day that Kerry, the Democratic presidential nominee, had turned his back on U.S. troops to get ahead politically.

Kerry "is not a steadfast leader. Our president is," Cheney told hundreds of Republican supporters at stops in Ohio and Michigan, as he opened a nonstop leg of campaigning that will take him to Hawaii.

Cheney started the day in Toledo, Ohio, pressing one of the campaign's most consistent lines of attack on Kerry's Senate vote against $87 billion to help finance the U.S. war in Iraq (news - web sites). Bush's re-election campaign says the Massachusetts senator voted as he did because of the then-surging anti-war candidate Howard Dean (news - web sites). Kerry has rejected the accusation.

Cheney said that Kerry "in order to advance himself turned his back on the troops."

Singer responded: "John Kerry has spent the better part of his career on behalf of the military. The senator has been concerned about the consequences of giving the president a blank check and we're seeing the consequences of that in Iraq. It's a tragedy."

___

kabuki
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:07 PM
I'm so tired of the election. And I am afraid it's going to stretch on into X-mas like the last time. *sigh*

jacobruiz
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:12 PM
It makes me livid when republicans like Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Bush critizise Kerry's leadership and military credentials when NONE OF THEM EVER EVEN SERVED IN THE MILITARY!!! They all had their daddies pull strings to get them deferments or a cushy place in the National Guard!

And Bush never does a thing without his advisors telling him what he should do so why is Cheney babbling on about a poll!

Helen Lawson
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:12 PM
That's the good things about Oscar voting. When the ballots are due, the balllots are due. They're counted like 10 times by independent people. There's not all this Electoral College crap, it's a flat vote. Who gets the most votes wins, no matter if you're like Loretta Young in 1948 and you beat me by like one vote, or whether you're like me in 1959 and like 1,000 votes ahead of Liz. And then the ceremony is held a month later and the winner is announced. Then it's over!

cheesestix
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:28 PM
It makes me livid when republicans like Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Bush critizise Kerry's leadership and military credentials when NONE OF THEM EVER EVEN SERVED IN THE MILITARY!!! They all had their daddies pull strings to get them deferments or a cushy place in the National Guard!

And Bush never does a thing without his advisors telling him what he should do so why is Cheney babbling on about a poll!

What does 4 months in Vietnam OVER 30 YEARS AGO have to do with anything? That doesn't make Kerry a good leader.

And you're talking about the same John Kerry that suspiciously received 3 purple hearts (without more than a flesh wound which a band-aid could fix, btw) and got out of there as quick as he could. And you're talking about the same John Kerry that immediately came back and betrayed his fellow soldiers by blaming them of war crimes. This stuff was used by North Vietnam against POWs, in case you didn't know.

BTW, if he's such a good military leader and would make such a great commander-in-chief, why do 80% of American soldiers prefer Bush?

Paneru
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:53 PM
What does 4 months in Vietnam OVER 30 YEARS AGO have to do with anything? That doesn't make Kerry a good leader.

And you're talking about the same John Kerry that suspiciously received 3 purple hearts (without more than a flesh wound which a band-aid could fix, btw) and got out of there as quick as he could. And you're talking about the same John Kerry that immediately came back and betrayed his fellow soldiers by blaming them of war crimes. This stuff was used by North Vietnam against POWs, in case you didn't know.

BTW, if he's such a good military leader and would make such a great commander-in-chief, why do 80% of American soldiers prefer Bush?

Source please on those soldiers
and the numbers.

Oh, so if one believes his own people are guilty of war crimes
he's supposed to simply keep his mouth shut and follow status quo?

That's right, doesn't matter if your country preaches human rights and ethics to the rest of the world while being hypocrits themselves, huh. :rolleyes:

Atleast John Kerry served his country and put his life on the line
which is more thank can be said for someone who has had a silver
spoon up his ass and been protected by mommy and daddy his whole life!

Helen Lawson
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:55 PM
People always trashed Mamie Van Doren and Martha Raye, but they entertained the troops in Vietnam A LOT, so I always stood up for them.

jacobruiz
Nov 1st, 2004, 04:07 PM

I'm not saying someone who volunteered to serve in Vietnam and became a commanding officer automatically makes them better able to be President. But it IS a factor, and should be considered.

John Kerry did not SUSPICIOUSLY receive his medals. They were awarded to him because he deserved them. Kerry was not a Presidential candidate then, or a priviliged son of a rich, influential father and the republicans have not proven anything wrong about his medals. In fact, every man still alive who served under Kerry and was with him when he was injured has agreed that he deserved them

Unlike what certain republicans would have you believe, Kerry DID NOT DENOUNCE OR BLAME his fellow soldiers! The war was wrong! We lost!!
This is now common knowledge! Kerry came back to tell what he saw and heard not to hurt the soldiers in Vietnam but to help end the war. The war would have lasted longer, killing more Americans and Vietnamese if there had not been such a vocal protest against it from Vietnam Vets and people in general. Kerry therefore helped to save lives.

Throughout our history, the military has voted to support the current commander in chief (president). I think your figure of 80% is too high this time, however, and we shall soon know the actual percentage.

cheesestix
Nov 1st, 2004, 04:26 PM
I'm not saying someone who volunteered to serve in Vietnam and became a commanding officer automatically makes them better able to be President. But it IS a factor, and should be considered.

John Kerry did not SUSPICIOUSLY receive his medals. They were awarded to him because he deserved them. Kerry was not a Presidential candidate then, or a priviliged son of a rich, influential father and the republicans have not proven anything wrong about his medals. In fact, every man still alive who served under Kerry and was with him when he was injured has agreed that he deserved them

Unlike what certain republicans would have you believe, Kerry DID NOT DENOUNCE OR BLAME his fellow soldiers! The war was wrong! We lost!!
This is now common knowledge! Kerry came back to tell what he saw and heard not to hurt the soldiers in Vietnam but to help end the war. The war would have lasted longer, killing more Americans and Vietnamese if there had not been such a vocal protest against it from Vietnam Vets and people in general. Kerry therefore helped to save lives.

Throughout our history, the military has voted to support the current commander in chief (president). I think your figure of 80% is too high this time, however, and we shall soon know the actual percentage.

Kerry also came back and threw his medals over a fence.

...only later to say that they weren't really HIS medals that he threw over the fence.

:confused:

He only does what he thinks is politically expedient at the time. If it's good to throw medals over the fence, he throws them over the fence. If it's good to be a "war hero", then he trumps up his medals.

Volcana
Nov 1st, 2004, 04:29 PM
I see nothing wrong with trying to find out what people's reaction to the OBL video was. The idea that politicians actually care about what the voters think is refreshing. It would be nice if more of them did.

jacobruiz
Nov 1st, 2004, 05:02 PM
Kerry also came back and threw his medals over a fence.

...only later to say that they weren't really HIS medals that he threw over the fence.

He only does what he thinks is politically expedient at the time. If it's good to throw medals over the fence, he throws them over the fence. If it's good to be a "war hero", then he trumps up his medals.
I've never paid much attention to the medals thrown over the fence incident because it doesn't really matter one way or another. It was part of a protest against the war by Vietnam Veterans. Kerry always has been proud of the way he conducted himself during the war - the medal-throwing was symbolic of the Vets' disagreement with the war.

Kerry is no more of a "flip-flopper" than any other politician - his voting record in the Senate attests to that.

cheesestix
Nov 1st, 2004, 05:04 PM
I see nothing wrong with trying to find out what people's reaction to the OBL video was. The idea that politicians actually care about what the voters think is refreshing. It would be nice if more of them did.

That's so lame.

And that's the problem with Kerry. He only cares what the voters think so that he can say whatever he thinks will get him elected. He doesn't have a position....only what he thinks more people want to hear. His position changes with the wind. That's dangerous.

cheesestix
Nov 1st, 2004, 05:07 PM
I've never paid much attention to the medals thrown over the fence incident because it doesn't really matter one way or another.

Of course it didn't matter. It's John Kerry. :rolleyes:

If it had been Bush, I think you libs would be insensed!

Kerry always has been proud of the way he conducted himself during the war -

Didn't he come back and admit to committing war crimes?