PDA

View Full Version : GW Bush: Can he be stopped?

Halardfan
Mar 18th, 2002, 10:05 AM
About a couple of moths ago, Fox News began to be shown here in Britian. I must admit Ive watch it quite a lot, usually with a horrorfied fascination.

Ive always known there is an element of European opinion which blames the USA for everything, that insanely belives US influence is always malevolent, that wrongly blames it whatever it does, good or bad.

I didn't realise that the feeling is mirrored in the US, where Fox News speak of Europe with utter contempt, and laughable arrogance.

I find their constant assertion that there fair and balanced especially funny.

Anyway, they show polls which put the President popularity around the 80% mark, which is just plain frightning...is there any hope for the democrats?

Never before has their been such a gulf between how a president is viewed in the US and how he is seen in the outside world.

The democrats need to have the courage to confront Bush and his ultra Conservative agenda. The way in which GW links the "War on Terror" with this domestic far-right agenda is particulalry disturbing, likewise the way voices of dissent are shouted down as almost being traitors is equally troubling. Look at the venom the likes of Alec Baldwin and the creator of West Wing (Sorkin?) have attracted for taking the president to task. The stand over the appointing over a conservative judge is encouraging, but must be only the start.

Domestically and internationally Bush and his cronies are leading us all to terrible places, (As Fox News suggests, Bush doesn't intend to take yes for an answer from the Iraqis, war is seen inevitable, desirable...then what? Iran? North Korea?) liberal opinion everywhere should not be afraid to take him and his right wing agenda on. I have nothing but contempt for the Rumsfelds of this world, and we shouldn't be afraid to say it.

It doesn't help that my own British government is one of the few in the world to give Bush a blank cheque, to merely follow where he leads. 130 of Blair's own MP's are already committed to being against an attack on Iraq, and prominent members of his cabinet will surely resign if an attack occurs with British participation. One of Blairs own MP's called him "Bush's Lewinsky!" Sadly not far wrong.

So where is the hope? Bush looks a near certainity to be around for years to come, which could have catastrophic effects on America and the wider world.

Monica_Rules
Mar 18th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Oh great!That twat will be around for ages an end up putting the whole world into a war nice knowing you all goodbye!:wavey:

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 18th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Bush's tactics are simple ...... iff you don't do as we say we will bomb the fuck out of you.

Who spreads more weapons of mass-destruction ????

US/UK or countries like Iraq/Korea ???

why can't they have weapons if you can..... hypocrits

you should get rid of all your crap b4 spreading gospel around.
Preachers should do as well as preach.

Halardfan
Mar 18th, 2002, 11:10 AM
I want to put my comments in a broader context, so that American posters in particular don't misunderstand me...

My strong anti-Bush sentiments in no way reflect any broader anti-American feelings on my part, in the same way as my contempt for the Thatcher in the 80's, didn't make me anti-British.

I was generally supportive of Clinton when he was in power, and fought his corner on numerous occassions.

The government or the president is not the people.

Im not sure you'll find a Brit as in love with American pop culture as much as me, so its a distinction I felt was important to make. Having a great antipathy towards Bush does not always equate to a general anti-American sentiment.

gentenaire
Mar 18th, 2002, 11:26 AM
I agree Eggy! I'm not afraid of Iraq, I am afraid of the US, of the weapons they have and the fact that they're not afraid to use them. Can you name any other country in the world that would have gotten away with throwing nuclear bombs?

Jay
Mar 18th, 2002, 11:55 AM
This is how I view Mr G W Bush ;)

http://jellyworld.freewebspace.com/bushmonkey.jpg

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 18th, 2002, 12:07 PM
LMAO jay ...... thats a beauty :D

IMO the chimp looks far better plus he probably has more intelligence

thefreedesigner
Mar 18th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Now that is funny! ;)

irma
Mar 18th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Jay How dare you to insult chimps! :mad: ;)

I am scared of that Bush person before you know he attacks us because we have to much power(I mean europe in general)

griffin
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:35 PM
If it offers even mild hope - that 80% figure (or a big chunk of it) reflects support for the office of president during what many Americans feel is a time of crisis, rather than support for Mr. Bush himself. Many Americans feel it's unpatriotic to question their government while we're in the middle of a conflict - which is the reason Shrub and co. keep baning the drums so loudly and periodically announce there might be another attack around the corne:, it helps keep people in "circle the wagons" mode so that they don't have to answer hard questions about what the government is up to.

On the other hand, it's depressing that people can be so easily cowed.

Halardfan
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Ive seen the Democrat leader(Daschle?) a few times, and Ive seen him put forward reasonable, mild criticism of Bush...but then being shouted down and back peddling from them 24 hours later...the democrats need someone with the guts and the charisma to take on Bush. Somehow people seem to like Bush' s awful folksy, dopey way of doing things.

Is there anyone up to the job? H.Clinton seems reticent, perhaps thinking the next election is all but lost already?

There is the assumption that Bush will makes gains in the coming elections, power which he may use to further promote his socially ultra-conservative agenda, not to mention his environmentally destructive one. So many people around him are so regressive, downright backward.

Plus there may a 'trade war' upcoming with the EU...and real wars in various parts of the globe.

Alec Baldwin for President I say! :)

Or Lori Petty. Either, or. ;)

Crazy Canuck
Mar 18th, 2002, 04:07 PM
I find Bush to be very frightening..

He is far to quick to pull the triger - I've felt like that since the moment he started campagning.

My mom and I both shuddered when he got into office, fearing all the wars he was going to start.

In fairness, he didn't have any say inwhat happened on Sept 11th of course, and what happened after was a cause of that.

However, I don't think it would have mattered. I tend to think that wether or not that happened, he would have found a reason to bomb the piss out of someone.

As already stated - the US government is very hypocritical. They make it their duty to monitor what the rest of the world is doing, and dictate what we are all aloud to do, then don't abide by their rules.

That, and seeing a so called democracy dictate everyone else, is an oxymoron within itself...

tia clara
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:05 PM
I agree, Dubya is scary as hell. But think of The Awful Alternative - Cheyney! if he really exists
:eek:

veryborednow
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:48 PM
I just thought I would point out that Claire Short has said that if we go to war with Iraq she would resign...

Jay
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:14 PM
I just want to make it clear that no harm came to any of the chimps in the making of that picture, either physically or mentally :p