PDA

View Full Version : The YEC

goldenlox
Oct 25th, 2004, 04:09 PM
This year the YEC will be a battle for Russian #1, and maybe world #2.
In 2004 Nastya has 3595 points. Sveta has 3558. Lena D. has 3386.
So all 3 are in the race for Russian #1 in 2004.

Mauresmo is second in 2004 points with 3696.

Maria has 2809, which is excellent for her first full season on the tour.

DEETHELICK
Oct 25th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Nastya is still the favourite to get it. But Elena and Sveta have hardly anything to defend. The gap between them and Nastya will drop.

It literally is going to come down on solid performances and getting the big wins. Elena will not be playing Fed Cup, so this could be her big splash IMO.

goldenlox
Oct 25th, 2004, 04:44 PM
4 Russians in the YEC, and they are all contenders. It makes for a great tournament.
Vera still has a chance to get in.

Sveta/Lena L., and Nadia play doubles in L.A.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 25th, 2004, 05:40 PM
the Race Positons as they are now make it interesting

Myskina 3rd
Sveta 4th
Lena 5th
Sharapova 6th (not counting Henin)

if they stay like that, it means that there will be 2 in each group.

Daniel
Oct 26th, 2004, 06:47 AM
I guess there is a chance Zvonareva could get the last spot :)

the cat
Oct 26th, 2004, 11:18 PM
I hope Vera gets the eighth spot at the YEC. But it seems to be unlikley unless one of the top 8 pulls out with an injury.

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Vera is the second highest ranked player still in Linz, after Mauresmo. And Vera is playing Philly.
So she has a chance to make it.
Nastya and Maria are playing Philly also.

DEETHELICK
Oct 28th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Now that Elena has stated her intent and desire to really perform in LA, I think we should wait and see.

This tournament is open. Anyone could win it. Least likely would be Maria and/or Venus/Jen.

JC Federer
Oct 29th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Why is Maria least likely?

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Last year Kim got 707 points for winning. Amelie got 458 for reaching the final.
So if Nastya, Lena, or Sveta reach the final, they will finish 2004 as the Russian #1. And probably world #2 behind Davenport.

If Nastya, Sveta, or all don't Lena reach the final, it will be a very close race for Russian #1 in 2004.

An all Russian final in L.A. would put an exclamation point on 2004 being the year of the Russian woman in tennis.

Chunchun
Oct 29th, 2004, 02:56 PM
no doubt

lenad will take the title + rus no.1 + year end no2 back home

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2004, 02:59 PM
To compare points, Nastya got 1040 for winning the FO. She added 476 for winning Moscow.
Kim got 707 for winning the YEC last year.

So the YEC is in between a major and a Tier I.

And they give $1 million to the winner, like a major.

the cat
Oct 29th, 2004, 03:05 PM
I think that the 4 Russina's in the YEC should constitute the Russian Fed Cup team for the 2004 Fed Cup semfinals in Moscow. :)

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2004, 03:10 PM
They need Lena L. for doubles. Sveta and Nastya can handle singles.

the cat
Oct 29th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Okay.

JC Federer
Oct 29th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Zvonereva going to be the 4th player in Fed Cup? What does she do? Play one singles rubber?

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Russian tennis is about big events nowadays. The YEC, Fed Cup.
Then the Australian Open. If a Russian wins, Russians will be holding all 4 majors.

DEETHELICK
Oct 29th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Maria is least likely, as playing two Top 10 players (Venus and Elena) took a lot out of her. She's just too intense on court. So I can't see her 5 matches in a row against Top 10 level players.

Plus the surface won't suit her IMO.

The other Russina's are much more stronger against Top 10 players IMO.

Daniel
Oct 30th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Nastya is in 2004 the best russian vs Top 10 players.

I doutb Vera will make it now sh elost in QF in Linz and might Nastya in semis in Philly.

goldenlox
Oct 30th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Vera has a chance. If she can take out Capriati. And if she goes farther than Venus, she's in.

the cat
Oct 30th, 2004, 06:18 PM
GL, Vera has blown so many chances this year I find it hard to believe she's going to travel from Europe to Philadephia and play a great week of tennis. I don't see that happening. But I hope Vera surprises me in Philadelphia. :)

DEETHELICK
Oct 30th, 2004, 10:06 PM
I too am skeptical about Vera. I think she is putting a lot of pressure on herself to make it. Thing about Jen and Venus is that they can certainly raise their levels when needed (and for YEC they could) whilst Vera has yet to learn to control herself emotionally and raise her game.

I don't mind if Vera makes it, but Jen, then Venus are players who I support more in this case. Plus I do believe that Jen and Venus would make the YEC more competitive than Vera.

Vera's time will come IMO. :)

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2004, 05:44 PM
I want to see as many all Russian matchups as possible.

Myskina-Zvonareva in San Diego was the match of the year.
Myskina and Likhovtseva played some great matches.
Myskina-Kuznetsova in Qatar was an exciting match.
Zvonareva-Sharapova in Montreal.
Dementieva-Kuznetsova in L.A.
Petrova and Likhovtseva played some great matches.
Bovina and Dementieva played some intense matches.

I would like to see the YEC have these kinds of matches.

saab95
Oct 31st, 2004, 06:48 PM
I'd like Myskina-Dementieva once again.
Lena's ready to win next time.

But the future for
Kuznetsova - Sharapova matches.

I would like to see the YEC have these kinds of matches.

Daniel
Nov 1st, 2004, 06:53 AM
I wanna see Nastya vs Dementieva :D
and Sharapova vs. Nastya

those are really good matches :clap2: :D

goldenlox
Nov 1st, 2004, 02:46 PM
This year the YEC will be a battle for Russian #1, and maybe world #2.
In 2004 Nastya has 3595 points. Sveta has 3558. Lena D. has 3386.
So all 3 are in the race for Russian #1 in 2004.

Mauresmo is second in 2004 points with 3696.Mauresmo won Tier II Linz, and now has 3912 points this year.

Nastya and Mauresmo play Philly. Sveta and Lena don't.
So Anastasia can open a lead on Sveta before the YEC.
And Vera can be the fifth Russian with a good tournament in Philly.

Daniel
Nov 5th, 2004, 07:36 AM
on Friday, Vera vs Capriati will decide who keeps her chances a live to qualify to the YEC

Go Vera :D :kiss:

Epigone
Nov 6th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Bepa makes it 5 Russians in the YEC :dance:

Epigone
Nov 6th, 2004, 02:05 AM
I too am skeptical about Vera. I think she is putting a lot of pressure on herself to make it. Thing about Jen and Venus is that they can certainly raise their levels when needed (and for YEC they could) whilst Vera has yet to learn to control herself emotionally and raise her game.

I don't mind if Vera makes it, but Jen, then Venus are players who I support more in this case. Plus I do believe that Jen and Venus would make the YEC more competitive than Vera.

Vera's time will come IMO. :)Bepa lifted when needed :D

She was the only player to win in two sets, and 6-0 6-1 is a pretty emphatic statement :worship:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 6th, 2004, 03:45 AM
right as we now have 5 Russians in YEC

3 will be in one gp, and two in the other.

Ranks
1-Davenport
2-Mauresmo
3-MYSKINA
4-KUZNETSOVA
5-DEMENTIEVA
6-SHARAPOVA
8-Serena
11-ZVONAREVA

as gp are done in pairs
Lena and Masha cant be in same gp, nor can Nastya and Sveta.
Vera can be in either one.

now which matches do we want to see ???

we only know Nastya will be happy with any of the 2 Russians (or 1) she gets ;)

Chunchun
Nov 6th, 2004, 03:57 AM
i want to c Lena def. all players and win the title :)

JC Federer
Nov 6th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Is this list final? Vera's place is guaranteed?

Daniel
Nov 6th, 2004, 05:55 AM
yep Vera is in :yeah:

with 5 out of 8 in the YEC there is not doubt the title will go to one Russian (i hope it is Nastya :hug: )

JC Federer
Nov 6th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Well Serena, Momo and Lindsay are pretty tough girls...

DEETHELICK
Nov 6th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I totally agree. Vera shut me up and how! She didn't falter a bit. Which was awesome to see.

When I meant bringing her level up, I meant in situations where she should be able to win. Such as SF in LA vs Serena. Jen and Venus have shown that level improvement in matches many a time.

Vera played so well, but Jen was not giving Vera much of a match. I am happy she made it :D

Now I want to see that same focus through the YEC.

I would love to see either Elena (1st) or Vera (2nd) take the YEC.

JC Federer
Nov 6th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Mathematically does this mean at least one russian makes the SF?

goldenlox
Nov 6th, 2004, 02:15 PM
5 Russians out of 8! :D :D :D :D
What a great way to end the season!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Then Fed Cup!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Daniel
Nov 7th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Hope Nastya and Maria get well before the tournament starts :hug: :kiss:

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Nov 7th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Bad rep me if you want all russians in the semifinals except for Myskina...

goldenlox
Nov 7th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Bad rep me if you want all russians in the semifinals except for Myskina...If you insist.:D :bounce:

Today they announce the groupings.

katiektc
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:57 PM
anna? as in anna kournikova?!!! in all fairness,i dont think she'll be in the YEC 2005.....:lol:

Daniel
Nov 8th, 2004, 05:46 AM
If you insist.:D :bounce:

Today they announce the groupings.
when are they announced to the public?

Andy.
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Good Luck Masha get healthy and just do your best girl.

Princess Sarah.
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:33 AM
it's just really good to see so many russians there they are really good and really hard workers

Epigone
Nov 8th, 2004, 08:30 AM
According to this (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=4442501&postcount=1) post, which is based on an LA Times article, the YEC groups are as follows:

Red Group: Davenport, Myskina, Dementieva, Williams (!!!)
Black Group: Mauresmo, Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Zvonareva

saab95
Nov 8th, 2004, 09:32 AM
it looks like Kuzia 'll get semis!

Daniel
Nov 8th, 2004, 01:14 PM
wowww

I think Sharapova and Sveta will make the emsis in black gropu and in red gropu Nastya and Elena have to their best vs,. the americans.

I cant believe Nastya got such a tough group :sad:

Good luck Anastasia, Vera, Elena, Sveta and Maria!!! :kiss: :hug:

goldenlox
Nov 8th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Going into the YEC,
Anastasia has 3646 points in 2004.
Svetlana has 3558.
Elena has 3386
This is the battle for Russian #1.

Maria has 2947
Vera has 2531.

the cat
Nov 8th, 2004, 03:01 PM
LOL @ Loo! :lol:

I hope we have an all Russina YEC semifinal! :D

goldenlox
Nov 8th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Red Group: Davenport, Myskina, Dementieva, Williams
Black Group: Mauresmo, Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Zvonareva
The young Russians are in one group. The 2 old pros in the other.

JC Federer
Nov 8th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Anna still has lots of game. And she's a successful businesswoman. All the Russian players wouldn't be where they are today if it wasn't for Anna. Anna is Russian tennis. Her strokes are very nice.

With all due respect to Anna, but I don't believe this is true. She gets credit for the fact that there's so many russians out there today. Before her, there weren't many. But she turned pro the same time as Myskina and Dementieva. However, making a career decision to play Tennis is not one you make lightly. For these girls to be pros now, they had to have made their decision to be a player back when they were little children. Anna was not in the picture back then. There is no way Anna could have inspired them to play.

If you're suggesting that Anna's entrance a few years ago was what caused all these girls to turn pro, it's not. They made their decision to play long before Anna appeared. They would all still be here regardless, Anna or no Anna.

Maybe if you used Olga M instead, it might sound more plausible.

Epigone
Nov 9th, 2004, 12:46 AM
The argument is that Anna inspired the younger Russians to take tennis more seriously, and to believe that they could also make a living from playing.

This was posted in another thread:
On the French channel France 2, the interviewer asks Marat Safin, "what do you think of the success of the Russian girls?"

He said that "all of those Russians girls have to say thanks to Anna Kournikova..."he said that "even if she did not win any tournaments she was the one who made the job for the other...she was the strongest...she is a great athlete and today thanks to what she did, there is a lot of russians which are playing great tennis today"!!!Numerous Russian players respect Anna for what she did. Kafelnikov is also highly respected, and provided inspiration for many of the young Russians. I'd dig up some quotes if I wasn't so busy.

Epigone
Nov 9th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Order of play
Wednesday starting at 6:30 PM:
Mauresmo vs Zvonareva

S. Williams vs Myskina

Davenport vs Dementieva

Thursday starting at 6:30 PM:
Kuznetsova vs Mauresmo

Zvonareva vs Sharapova

S. Williams vs Dementieva

JC Federer
Nov 9th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Well a lot of russians have been asked that same question, and their answers are all different. They don't agree with each other. Olga Morozova says it was when Tennis became an olympic sport some time ago, and more funding went into Tennis academies in Russia, and the rewards are starting to pay off. And Boris Yeltsin was a Tennis fan, and he played some parts too when he was in power. Some of the girls don't agree with Olga. I would think these girls training would have given it their all, with or without Anna. You don't become an athlete and not take your sport seriously. Can one argue that even Anna took it seriously? She couldn't decide whether she wanted to be a tennis player or a model.

Anyway, WTA site has a poll on who people think will win the YEC:
http://www.wtatour.com/SurveyResults.asp?ERMsg=

Current standings:

Who's your pick to win Los Angeles?

32% Lindsay

20% Amelie

5% Anastasia

5% Svetlana

7% Elena

10% Maria

18% Serena

2% Vera

Total votes - 3162

In other words, people don't think too highly of the Russinas... Masha is the highest at 10%. Lindsay clear cut favorite. Serena is #3 strangely.

Epigone
Nov 9th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Preview of the Red Group:
http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_5707_rx.asp

Preview of the Black Group:
http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_5708_rx.asp

Epigone
Nov 9th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Kirilenko just happens to be one in a long line of rising Russian players, and Petrova doesn't believe that line will be getting any shorter in the foreseable future.

"I think people (in Russia) realized that now they can make money out of sport," Petrova said. "So they start practicing, not like having fun but thinking that it's their job, doing a sport like a job, because you can make living out of it.

"I think first one was Anna (Kournikova). And after her, there were more and more coming up. I think we all very well physically built. We are all strong. And we do well now." http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_3751_rx.asp

"Women's tennis, in Russia and around the world, is popular because of Kournikova," said Russian Dinara Safina, the world's 31st-ranked player. "A lot of players want to be like her. She was in the semifinals of Wimbledon and in the top 10. I think she did a lot for women's tennis."http://www.sptimes.com/2004/06/20/Sports/From_Russia_with_love.shtml

Daniel
Nov 9th, 2004, 06:32 AM
oh i see Nastya playing vs Serena on wed

Vamos Nastya , go and beat her u can do it!! :worship:
Good luck to VEra and elena, :D :bounce:

JC Federer
Nov 9th, 2004, 07:03 AM
If you can attribute Anna's influence to the quality of the russian girls today, how do you explain their quantity? Before her, there weren't many russian girls playing tennis. And you admit these girls were in training before Anna's fame.

Believe it if you want, but I'm not buying any of it. It would be more plausible to me if you said Myskina or even Marat Safin was their role model, since they were around the same time Anna turned pro.

Other girls like Sveta, Vera and Lena says it's due to friendly rivalries and competition among each other. They all want to be Russia's best, and they all push each other into doing better.

But so far, I find Olga's explanation most convincing.

AnDyDog621
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:10 AM
If you can attribute Anna's influence to the quality of the russian girls today, how do you explain their quantity? Before her, there weren't many russian girls playing tennis. And you admit these girls were in training before Anna's fame.

Believe it if you want, but I'm not buying any of it. It would be more plausible to me if you said Myskina or even Marat Safin was their role model, since they were around the same time Anna turned pro.

Other girls like Sveta, Vera and Lena says it's due to friendly rivalries and competition among each other. They all want to be Russia's best, and they all push each other into doing better.

But so far, I find Olga's explanation most convincing.
Didn't most Russian girls know about Anna when she was 14 and playin in junior grand slam finals?

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Order of play
Wednesday starting at 6:30 PM:
Mauresmo vs Zvonareva

S. Williams vs Myskina

Davenport vs Dementieva

Tough first matches for Vera, Anastasia, and Elena.
It's the YEC, every match is like a final.

Almalyk
Nov 10th, 2004, 01:00 AM
GL - What are your semi-final predictions? I say Anastasia and Lindsay --Amelie and Sveta.

Epigone
Nov 10th, 2004, 01:30 AM
The Order of Play is now different :confused:

Wednesday, November 10, 2004
From 18.30hrs (PST):
1. Kuznetsova vs. Zvonareva
Not before 20.00hrs:
2. Myskina vs. S.Williams
Followed by:
3. Davenport vs. Dementieva

Bepa is playing Sveta, instead of Amelie, in the opening match

Daniel
Nov 10th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Good luck :
Anastasia
Elena
Sveta and Vera (both deserve to win) :D

DEETHELICK
Nov 10th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Good luck Elena and Vera! :)

Nastya, do your best.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 10th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Lena vs Lindsay on match day 1
interesting, Lena's beaten her a few times before and at the YEC before.

lets make it happen again :)

Sveta vs Vera is gonna be a toss up, but edging Sveta to come thru this.

Nastya is gonna have to start off good, and keep the pressure on Serena and she cn fold, just ask Alina ;)

only gonna see 1st match, then work :(
will have to tape others and watch later.

Escape
Nov 10th, 2004, 02:42 PM
The Order of Play is now different :confused:

Wednesday, November 10, 2004
From 18.30hrs (PST):
Not before 20.00hrs:
2. Myskina vs. S.Williams
Followed by:

Bepa is playing Sveta, instead of Amelie, in the opening match

This may be better for Vera as she has beat Kuznetsova the last time they played :) and she should have beaten her in Eastbourne but threw it away :(

JC Federer
Nov 10th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Latest pic from YEC site.

http://www.wtatour.com/tournaments/championships/images/mainpic.jpg

Lovely legs! :hearts:

Epigone
Nov 10th, 2004, 03:07 PM
REVISED
Wednesday, November 10, 2004 (from 18.30hrs)
2. Myskina vs. S.Williams (NB 20.00hrs)

Thursday, November 11, 2004 (from 18.30hrs)
1. Mauresmo vs. Zvonareva
2. Kuznetsova vs. Sharapova (NB 20.00hrs)
3. Dementieva vs. S.Williams

The order of play has been changed for Thursday.

They are clearly trying to help Maria at the expense of Bepa, but whatever :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Nov 10th, 2004, 03:11 PM
I don't think this helps Maria. Sveta needs a match to get back into form.
Maria was better off starting against Vera. Sveta should be sharper on Thursday.

Epigone
Nov 10th, 2004, 03:17 PM
When Bepa gets to Maria, she will have played five straight weeks + two tough matches. It is easier to face such a player, than to face someone who has played five straight weeks + one tough match.

goldenlox
Nov 10th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Maybe, but it doesn't help Maria. If Sveta beats her, she has to beat Mauresmo.

Epigone
Nov 10th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Maybe, but it doesn't help Maria. If Sveta beats her, she has to beat Mauresmo.If both Bepa and Masha defeat Sveta, then it does help Masha. Unless one of the three Russians beats Momo, the winner of the Bepa/Masha match would make the SF.

goldenlox
Nov 10th, 2004, 03:32 PM
I don't know what form Sveta is in.
She might play great, or be way off her best form.
Vera has a better chance to start with a win against Sveta than Amelie.

Epigone
Nov 10th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Vera has a better chance to start with a win against Sveta than Amelie.I agree with that. But the schedule (I think before they changed it for the third time :scratch: ) was Bepa/Sveta on Wednesday, and Bepa/Masha on Thursday. I think I would have preferred that. However, that's the hand that Bepa's been dealt, so she'll have to make the best of it.

goldenlox
Nov 10th, 2004, 03:43 PM
If Sveta is ready, and she should be, then Vera is starting with her 2 toughest matches.
It's not easy for anyone.
Vera did well to get here. Nadia was #6 in the world this spring, and she's only in doubles.

But getting here is not enough. You have to find a way to win.

Epigone
Nov 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM
But getting here is not enough. You have to find a way to win.It's easier to win when the organisers go out of their way to make things cushy for you.

katiektc
Nov 10th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Latest pic from YEC site.

http://www.wtatour.com/tournaments/championships/images/mainpic.jpg

Lovely legs! :hearts:

i think that is sharapova......:confused: but it is hard to make out the face....but me fiinks its maria. :)

goldenlox
Nov 10th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Going into the YEC,
Anastasia has 3646 points in 2004.
Svetlana has 3558.
Elena has 3386
This is the battle for Russian #1.

Maria has 2947
Vera has 2531.Since the YEC is only open to 8 players, it's a sign of success.
If you get here, you're one of the best in your sport.
And it's the biggest woman's sport in the world.

Epigone
Nov 11th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Match 1 result Sveta d. Bepa 6-2 6-4

Epigone
Nov 11th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Match 2 result Serena d. Nastya 4-6 6-3 6-4

JC Federer
Nov 11th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Is there live scoring anywhere?

Epigone
Nov 11th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Is there live scoring anywhere?Go to www.wtachamps.com (http://www.wtachamps.com/) and click on the scoring link that's on the left of the page

Daniel
Nov 11th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Match 2 result Serena d. Nastya 4-6 6-3 6-4
Nastya :sad:

stupid Serena, pfff :fiery: hope she loses next match to ELena

Daniel
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:23 AM
http://www.wtatour.ru/uploads/la/all.jpg

Lovely picture :kiss: :worship:

Thanks to Dan on GM

JC Federer
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Ahh crap they just changed that YEC pic... it now has Serena on it. :/

I take that back about the lovely legs... :mad:

Yikes, Lena's next match is Serena Williams. If she doesn't win that, she's out of the SF pretty much. :confused:

Check out Serena's outfit:

http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/serena_5720_rx.jpg

Looks like a ballerina, lol.

Epigone
Nov 11th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Match 3 result Lindsay d. Elena D. 6-0 6-1

Nastyafan
Nov 11th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Terrible start
it seems only the Russian I like at least will be in SF :fiery: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=34#)

Epigone
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Friday, Nov. 12
6:30 pm (PST) start

1 - Davenport vs. Myskina
2 - Sharapova vs. Zvonareva
3 - Mauresmo vs. Kuznetsova

Saturday, Nov. 13
1:00 pm (PST) start

1 - Davenport vs. Williams
2 - Mauresmo vs. Sharapova
3 - Myskina vs. Dementieva

Daniel
Nov 12th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Thanks Epigone,

Maria bt. Sveta
and Elena still playing vs. Serena

Epigone
Nov 12th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Thursday Results
Amelie def. Bepa 6-1 6-0

Masha def. Sveta 6-1 6-4

Serena def. Lena 7-6(3) 7-5

Dan23
Nov 12th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Bepa :speakles:
Masha :worship:
Lena :sobbing:

Great day for Maria, disappointing for Lena and especially Vera..:)

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Vera and Lena have lost twice. They play their final match against Russians.
Vera-Maria, and Lena-Anastasia.
Lets see how much competitive fight they have.

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Friday, Nov. 12
6:30 pm (PST) start

1 - Davenport vs. Myskina
2 - Sharapova vs. Zvonareva
3 - Mauresmo vs. Kuznetsova

Anastasia and Sveta both have one loss. These are huge, huge, matches for them.
And they are playing the #1 and #2 players in the world.

the cat
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:07 PM
The Russians were supposed to be the story at the YEC in Los Angeles. But from what I've seen I haven't been impressed by the play of the Russina's other than Maria Sharapova abd she's only played 1 match.

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:16 PM
5 Russians being there is the story.
But Lindsay, Serena, and Amelie are still very formidable.
Anastasia had her chances against Serena. So did Lena.

The battle for Russian #1 in 2004 ends this week. So each match is very important.

the cat
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:22 PM
GL, you always should expect more and want more from the Russina's. I do anyway. The Russian girls have had a great year but they can all get better and that means Myskina and Dementieva in addition to the younger Russina's.

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:25 PM
I don't expect every Russian to dominate Serena, Lindsay, Justine, and Amelie.
All I want is for Russians to win all the majors.
And most of the other stuff.

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2004, 05:15 PM
I think Russians have a great chance to win the French Open this year.
It's up to Sharapova at Wimbledon. She's probably the only player who can beat Serena on grass.
The AO and US Opens are wide open.

Epigone
Nov 12th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Bepa for the French Open title! :dance:

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Maria has a great grass court game. She puts pressure on her opponents on every point.
She broke Lindsay and Serena 7 of 12 times in her last 3 sets.
And held 11 of 12.

Epigone
Nov 12th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Wait until Maria has to face Vera D. on grass :p

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2004, 05:52 PM
I believe in Maria. Lansdorp said 2006. Tarango said she has amazing potential.
Maria is still 17, until April. She's still just starting to develop and mature her game.

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Nobody else in the world can beat Serena 6-1, 6-4 on grass.
If you have the Sugiyama match on tape, watch the third set.
Maria can paint the lines, with pace. And her return of serve is great.

jklense
Nov 12th, 2004, 06:07 PM
sorry ladies for disturbing your exciting exchange :o
but do you - or anybody else - know the exact rule for determining places in RR if number of wins is equal? :bowdown:
there's a good chance it will happen...

jklense
Nov 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I believe head-to-head is the first tiebreaker. Then, sets. If 3 players are tied, then sets is first.
It's horribly difficult to explain... maybe you can find on www.wtatour.com.sorry, i couldn't find official rules yet, so i asked...
Do you think it's sets number or sets difference - as in football, e.g.? :) :confused:

edited: meanwhile, i found a posting in GM http://wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=4460582&postcount=3 with rules, don't know if it's extracted from official rules...

the cat
Nov 12th, 2004, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure what to make of GL's and Sally's Maria Sharapova inspired gab fest. :scratch: :unsure: :banghead: ;) :kiss: But you girls sure are entertaining! :bounce: :D It's alot of fun to watch you 2 go at it! :boxing: :yeah:

I don't understand why Sally is down on Sharapova. :confused: Only time will tell how good she will be. And Masha will be somewhere between a very good and great tennis player if she fulfills her vast potential. And so far so good. :)

Daniel
Nov 13th, 2004, 06:12 AM
on friday

Nastya beat DAvenport and Maria beat VEra

Vera did not make the semis and Nastya still can if she beat Lena tomorrow :D :D :kiss: :bounce:

Epigone
Nov 13th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Friday results
Match 1 - Nastya d. Lindsay 7-6(5) 6-4
Match 2 - Masha d. Bepa 6-4 7-5
Match 3 - Amelie d. Sveta 6-3 6-2

goldenlox
Nov 13th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Another Anastasia/Elena match tonight.
They met in the French Open and Kremlin Cup finals.
A win by Nastya tonight puts her in the semis.

Daniel
Nov 14th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Nastya beat Elena 6-3 6-3 and Maria lost to Momo

Nastya vs. MAria in semis

Vamos Nastya :bounce: :kiss: :worship:

Epigone
Nov 14th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Singles - Semifinals
(from 12.00hrs)
1. Mauresmo vs. Williams
2. Myskina vs. Sharapova

Doubles - Semifinals
(following singles)
1. Ruano Pascual/Suarez vs. Black/Stubbs
2. Petrova/Shaughnessy vs. Kuznetsova/Likhovtseva

Daniel
Nov 14th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Thanks Epigone ;)

Go Nastya :yeah:

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Nov 14th, 2004, 06:54 AM
it looks like Kuzia 'll get semis!
:rolleyes:

goldenlox
Nov 14th, 2004, 05:06 PM
This is the fourth meeting between Anastasia and Maria. They met at the AO, Tier I's Indian Wells, and San Diego - and now the YEC.
Anastasia is 3-0.

Epigone
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Sunday Results
Singles semifinals:
(7) Serena Williams (USA) d. (2) Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) 46 76(2) 64
(6) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (3) Anastasia Myskina (RUS) 26 62 62

Doubles semifinals:
Black/Stubbs (ZIM/AUS) d. (1) Ruano Pascual/Suarez (ESP/ARG) 76(7) 64
Petrova/Shaughnessy (RUS/USA) d. (2) Kuznetsova/Likhovtseva (RUS/RUS) 63 62

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Nov 15th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Maria is ready to rule! :)

Daniel
Nov 15th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Nastya :sad:

now Maria go and win the title :D :D

the cat
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Good luck to Maria in the YEC final against Serena Williams! :D Udachi Maria! :bounce:

Epigone
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Why won't people support Nadia? :(

jklense
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:03 PM
As it turned out, damned arithmetics did count much in making places (Red group).
Players - or their coaches - did know it well. In the last match, Serena needed a set and she's got it. After that, it was enough for Nastya just ;) to win, straight sets would give her a clean 1st place in group. 3-setter lead to 2nd - and SF against Momo - obviously not wished as much as vs Masha at that moment.
I'm far from thinking everything was based on caclulations the last day but it did have its influence. Sorry we didn't know the rules for sure, it could help a bit to understand something hidden. :(

the cat
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I don't know what you're getting at JK.

Daniel
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Sharapova bt Serena in 3 sets and won the final!!!

Congrats Maria!! :yeah: :banana:

Epigone
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Nadia and Meghann took the YEC doubles title 7-5 6-2 :)

Congratulations!!!

bubble
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Congrats to Maria (well done !) and Nadia/Meg !

This year truly belongs to Russia!

:)

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:51 PM
I don't expect every Russian to dominate Serena, Lindsay, Justine, and Amelie.
All I want is for Russians to win all the majors.
And most of the other stuff.
Pretty good year so far. Now we need to win the Fed Cup championship.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Maria Sharapova.. the nefarious supreme totalitarian dictator of the WTA championships...

Daniel
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Congrats Nadia and Meghan for the doubles title :yeah: