PDA

View Full Version : Alicia in Luxembourg

Mr_Molik
Oct 25th, 2004, 07:11 AM
its odd to already be posting about a new tournament after the biggest win of alicias career, but it will be back to business as usual in luxembourg this week! and if she keeps her form up, i cant see a single player in the draw beating her! here it is:
Paola Suarez ARG (1) v. Bye
Tathiana Garbin ITA v. Anabel Medina Garrigues ESP
Anne Kremer LUX (WC) v. Ana Ivanovic SCG
Qualifier v. Shinobu Asagoe JAP (8)

Magdalena Maleeva BUL (4) v. Qualifier
Dinara Safina RUS v. Qualifier
Dally Randriantefy MAD v. Mashona Washington USA
Carly Gullickson USA (WC) v. Mary Pierce FRA (5)

Eleni Daniilidou GRE (7) v. Jill Craybas USA
Qualifier v. Claudine Schaul LUX
Tina Pisnik SLO v. Virginie Razzano FRA
Stéphanie Foretz FRA v. Silvia Farina Elia ITA (3)

Tatiana Golovin FRA (6) v. Anna-Lena Grönefeld GER
Anca Barna GER v. Marlene Weingärtner GER
Maria Antonia Sanchez Lorenzo ESP v. Virginia Ruano Pascual ESP
Bye v. Alicia Molik AUS (2)

a potentially tough QF with golovin but all she really has on alicia is an average two handed backhand
CMON ALICIA !! GO FOR BACK TO BACK TITLES !!

broncosven
Oct 25th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Good Luck . .as u say Golovin is the one to watch

nitocris_tiger
Oct 27th, 2004, 01:58 AM
Will play Sanchez Lorenzo but not until Thurs. :tennis:

Mr_Molik
Oct 27th, 2004, 02:06 AM
so she will have to play 4 matches in 4 days :) glad shes not playing doubles

Mr_Molik
Oct 27th, 2004, 02:07 AM
yay i gave nitcrosis a rep beyond repute in one hit :woohoo:

nitocris_tiger
Oct 27th, 2004, 06:20 AM
rrrrraaayyy :smoke:

broncosven
Oct 28th, 2004, 11:58 AM
cmon alicia !!

Mr_Molik
Oct 28th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Alicia def Sanchez Lorenzo 7-6(3), 7-6(2) :worship:
she came back from 5-0 down in the second :eek: :worship:

Aussie_chic
Oct 29th, 2004, 12:23 AM
WOW!! I thought it would b more convincing but considering she was 5-0 down she did dominate the set from there on!

Congrats! A wins always good!

PointBlank
Oct 29th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Good Luck :)

Mr_Molik
Oct 29th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Friday Order of Play:
3rd match (NB 5.30 pm)- Alicia vs Golovin

CMON ALICIA :bounce: !!

kell
Oct 29th, 2004, 04:31 AM
:) :D :worship:

broncosven
Oct 29th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Well Done Alicia !!

martinafan
Oct 29th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Nice win alicia....or should i say nice comeback!

Great that she was able to win it in straight sets, but she shouldn't have been in that 0-5 position in the first place!...probably having a bit of a form let-down after Zurich (which would be understandable!)

But re-focus and take ur 3rd career title alicia!!!!

martinafan
Oct 29th, 2004, 01:16 PM
And Good Luck against Golovin!

I just wish she stopped playing the late matches! would be nice to follow her match!

Mr_Molik
Oct 29th, 2004, 02:07 PM
i no the late matches suck...if she was the first match i could b in bed by now! btw i think u mean alicia could take her 4th title here, she already has 3 ;)

Mr_Molik
Oct 29th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Alicia def Golovin 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: !!!!!!
im amazed at the number of 3 setters alicia is winning at the moment :eek: shes so mentally tough these days :worship:

Mr_Molik
Oct 29th, 2004, 10:34 PM
OOP Saturday October 30, 2004

Centre Court (from 14.00hrs)
2. Farina Elia vs. Molik

CMON ALICIA :bounce: !!

Mr_Molik
Oct 29th, 2004, 10:35 PM
oh and that was my 5000th post lol

ozfan44
Oct 30th, 2004, 02:01 AM
This could be tricky Silvia will be out for revenge from last weeks loss to alicia
my prediction: alicia in 3

golovin was another tricky match glad alicia won it

Mr_Molik
Oct 30th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Alicia def Farina Elia 6-2, 6-2 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: !! Much easier than expected :worship: !!

Mr_Molik
Oct 30th, 2004, 10:32 PM
She is now in the final against Safina!
CMON ALICIA !!

broncosven
Oct 31st, 2004, 06:05 AM
Yah Alicia !!!

broncosven
Oct 31st, 2004, 06:06 AM
Good Luck in Final !!

make it 3 for the year . . . and 2 in 2 weeks !!

azza
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:59 PM
wtf :o 0-5 Vs MSL lol

azza
Oct 31st, 2004, 02:03 PM
Alicia up 6-3 4-2

azza
Oct 31st, 2004, 02:20 PM
Alicia Molik Def Dinara Safina 6-3 6-4 :woohoo:

strike86
Oct 31st, 2004, 07:21 PM
October 31, 2004

© WTA Tour
Molik Wins Second Straight Title at Luxembourg

LUXEMBOURG, Luxembourg - One week after winning her first Tier I title in Zurich, Alicia Molik experienced another first in her career on Sunday at the SEAT Open Luxembourg.
The Australian put together her first back-to-back titles after winning in Luxembourg, defeating Dinara Safina in Sunday's final, 63 64.

"To win two tournaments in a row feels great," Molik said. "It's something I've never done before. After last week, it would have been easy to lose focus so I'm proud of how I handled each match. I didn't let myself get carried away."

After surprising many with her run in Zurich, Molik didn't skip a beat in winning another title at Luxembourg, but it wasn't easy at times at the event where she was the No.2 seed. She needed a pair of tie-breaks to sneak past Maria Sanchez Lorenzo in the second round and had recover from a set down to top No.6 seed Tatiana Golovin in the quarterfinals.

But Molik pulled her game together in the later rounds, defeating No.3 seed Silvia Farina Elia, 62 62 in the semifinals before her straight sets victory against Safina in the championship match.

In addition to winning a new trophy and a hefty winner's check, Molik won a new SEAT Altea car to take back with her to Australia.

"I love the car," Molik said. "I don't have a car and it will always remind me of these two weeks. The fans here were really great, especially the younger ones. It created a great ambience and it's great that the crowd gets so involved in the match. Hopefully it will influence them to pick up tennis racquets themselves."

While the car makes its way back to Australia, Molik will travel to Philadelphia this week where she will be the No.8 seed at the Advanta Championships. Molik will look to extend her winning streak beyond 10 matches as she closes out her 2004 season at the event.

Safina was appearing in her first final since winning her second career title back in 2003 at Palermo. The young Russian defeating qualifiers Antonella Serra Zanetti and Emma Laine in straight sets, along with Dally Randriantefy to reach the semifinals. She dropped the first set to Anabel Medina Garrigues in that semifinal match, but recovered nicely to only drop three games in the final two sets to reach the championship match.

"She served really well and I didn't," Safina said. "She put pressure on my second serve and I just couldn't fight back today. You show your best and fight for every chance. I came here hoping to win one match and I ended up in the final so I'm satisfied. I'm very happy to end my season with a final."

In doubles, the top-ranked pair of Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suarez won their first doubles title since the US Open with a 61 67(1) 63 victory against the team of Jill Craybas and Marlene Weingartner.

It was the sixth title this year for Ruano Pascual and Suarez, who have also won titles in 2004 at the Australian Open, Indian Wells, Charleston, Roland Garros and US Open. The duo have also already qualified to play at the WTA Tour Championships presented by Porsche, beginning November 10 in Los Angeles.

The victory also was the 29th career doubles title for Ruano Pascual and 36th for Suarez. The 36 titles by Suarez gives her sole possession of 15th place for most doubles titles in the Open Era, breaking a previous tie with Lindsay Davenport and Martina Hingis. Meanwhile, Ruano Pascual's 29 titles ties her with Elizabeth Smylie for 19th most in the Open Era.

Craybas and Weingartner just began playing together this year, first pairing up at Roland Garros. So far, the partnership has been successful with a title at Cincinnati and final at Luxembourg in just seven events played as a team.

Well done Ailcia your biggest English fan is proud of you.

Mr_Molik
Oct 31st, 2004, 08:03 PM
Alicia :woohoo: :bowdown: :D :aparty: :banana: !!

Aussie_chic
Nov 1st, 2004, 12:07 AM
Well done! She won a car aswell as a trophy! That's gotta b good!

Mr_Molik
Nov 1st, 2004, 12:59 AM
i cant believe she didnt already have a car :eek:

Lisbeth
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:52 AM
:yippee: Alicia! It's so exciting to see her finally start collecting trophies :) This should be great for her confidence.

broncosven
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:54 AM
On Ya Alicia !!