PDA

View Full Version : Daniela Hantuchova: this is tennis

alessandrochus
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:52 PM
finally, finally a hitter that can keep the ball in the court.

daniela is not only a run&hit player like Serena or Jenny, she is a Run&think&hit player: the female tennis needs her talent and her victories. If Pierce, capriati and then the williams has teached to to hit the ball hard, Daniela will teach to hit the ball a little bit lower but on the courts and sir, THIS IS TENNIS. She won against martina with 30 winners and 30 unforced errors, which is reasonable for a hitter. and consider that martina didn't play badly, as she committed 15 unforced errors.

:wavey:

tennisfun
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Go check the stats of the match between Venus and Daniela at the AO. And tell me the ratio of winners/errors.

thefreedesigner
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Martina didn't play badly? Martina did not play!

Hehe, don't mean to rain on the parade! No, certainly it's amazing that Daniela does so well, whilst rarely going for 'the money shot'. I mean, she goes for winners, but not outrageous winners.

That's where a lot of her success comes from I think.

arn
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:10 PM
And you can't say that based on one match! Every hardhitter has matches where she comitted more winners as errors. But the key is to do so in EVERY match. Let's wait and see if Daniela can keep it up, I hope so for here!

Remember Tulyaganova last year. She crushed Kim with that sort of play, but it's been a long time since she had decent result. unfortunately :(

alessandrochus
Mar 17th, 2002, 07:58 PM
what I like in daniela (she is not my favourite player) is that she thinks while she plays. In my humble opinion, e real tennis player must think at how he/she plays and not just hitting the ball as harder as he/she can.

Only Monica, even if she doesn't think when she play (and she admit she doesn't) is a great player...;)

tennisfun
Mar 17th, 2002, 09:22 PM
go back to read Venus interview after her match agaist Daniela at the AO and tell me you were thinking while writing those bullshit.

SerenasMelons
Mar 17th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Venus usually gets an even error ratio on a good day. On a bad day it can be hideous, tho. I think Martina just didn't think at all. She kept allow Daniela to hit that down the line back-hand.

Playa
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:24 AM
Sorry to reply to this dummy thread....

but I just wanted to mention that everyone that Has ever played a sport knows that you don't think anymore while you play

Tennis IS NOT CHESS OR DRAUGHTS alessandrochus ...
you don't think anymore ...it's just pure reflexes and inspiration.
Period!

alessandrochus... it's easy to seat in your ass all day eating spagettis and criticise players , go and play a sport and tell me how it feels like...

:rolleyes:

Chance
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:13 AM
alessandrochus, why must u always compliment one player and in the same sentence put another player down....:rolleyes:

Chance
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:21 AM
all the top players think on the court and have strategies....
it's not just brawn and the ability to hit hard....if it was that simple arnie would be a grand slam winner

aura of daniela
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Playa,
If you think that there is no thought process at all during a game of tennis, or any other sports, I think your kidding yourself.
Players may not be constantly thing during the point, and I agree that reflexes do play a major part, but to win matches, you have to continuously think up strategies between points, at change of end and most importantly, when you are down, and not playing well, think positively.
If you think that players in all sports just go of there and don't need to use there brains, I think your sorely mistaken.
I agree that when you are in the flow like Daniela was yesterday, there is no need to over think the situation, but if your game is up and down, the only thing that can save you is your thought process.
I play tennis, I have done so for 13 years now, and am no where near the talent of those players, but I feel that my thought process gets me through many matches, that maybe my talent wouldn't.

Examples: Hitting a slice backhand as oppose to a double handed backhand.
Kicking a 3/4 pace serve out wide as oppose to full pace down the middle.
This is all thinking during play, and Martina won grand slam titles because of it.

Daniela has both the talent and thought process that some other power hitters dont have.
Saying that though, watching the final again, she was hitting the ball so smoothly, and perfectly that it just proves how good a player she is at the peak of her game, and Daniela still has so much more improvement, it's amazing.

Not many player go to a final, a play there best, Daniela did it yesterday, and if she continues to play that way, god help the rest of the tour.

Daniela is the angel god sent to save the tennis tour.
Everyone, just enjoy her style.

Simon V

Williams Rulez
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Here we go again...

Venus/Serena/Jennifer make errors, but they make winners too. When you go for winners, you make errors too, so what you gonna do about that?

And if you think the above players game are to hit the ball as hard (not harder) as they can, then you are so wrong. There are players ranked below them, and they hit the ball even harder. It is cause they don't think enough, thus they are not ranked as high. Hence, you are wrong to say that the power players don't think, if not all you'll be seeing is balls hit hard to the audience.

Williams Rulez
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:07 AM
And I shall borrow Volcana's post which would tell you something:

There's a reason that some power players win a lot, and some don't. Everyone but Martina in the top ten hits the ball hard. Look at their records this year against each other. (Lindsay's been out all year of course.)

5-1 Venus
3-1 Jennifer
3-0 Serena

2-2 Kim
1-1 Jelena (The loss was a walkover)

2-5 Monica
1-4 Amelie
0-5 Justine

They ALL hit hard. That isn't the difference. I think the difference IS in smart play. The best players have all the tools, AND know when to use them. I'll call in an expert to back my opinion.

I mean, even like the Williams sister, they have finesse in the game. Venus, she can come in and do pretty much any shot. The same as Serena and Jennifer. When you practice with one of them, they can -- you can do any drill, any type of thing you want out there. They know the game.

Guess who?

Martina Hingis March 13th 2002, Indian Wells

Chibuku14
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:08 AM
I remembered this very guy starting such an idiotic thread
sometime ago. Hantuchova won over a grandslams champion,
Martina Hingis. I don't if you remember how many of these
low ranked players have beaten Martina before? not more
than three I think.
No one knows what exactly happened to Martina, maybe didn't
practice well or underestimated her or maybe playing her for
the first time could have been the reason for the defeat.
Everyone who saw the match will have to come to these
analyses.
You are putting good champions down becasue this girl won
a tier 1 tittle. tell me if all the girls you talked about who can't
think just run and hit the ball could have participated in the
tournament in full, do you think Hanchova would have won
over Jen. Venus and Hingis, or Serena, Jen and Hingis.... to say
the least if Kim was healthy at this tournament, Hanchova
can't win over her, Serena, Jen or Hingis.
The women tour is not like the men's. It is very difficult for a low
ranked player to beat the tops. And this what makes the tour
women's very interesting.

PS. I am not Hingis' fan.

Monica_Rules
Mar 18th, 2002, 10:00 AM
30-30 is not a good ratio thats bad a good one would be like 30-20!:(

alessandrochus
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:47 PM
alessandrochus... it's easy to seat in your ass all day eating spagettis and criticise players , go and play a sport and tell me how it feels like...

and then

but I just wanted to mention that everyone that Has ever played a sport knows that you don't think anymore while you play

it seems that you can't listen to someone alse opinion without beeing offensive! :fiery:

alessandrochus
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:49 PM
playa. it was for you of course

alessandrochus
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:51 PM
why must u always compliment one player and in the same sentence put another player down....

Violet, it's just my opinion. Do you think all the players play the same tennis?

alessandrochus
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:58 PM
You are putting good champions down becasue this girl won

:eek: where did I say these things?

tell me if all the girls you talked about who can't
think just run and hit the ball could have participated in the
tournament in full, do you think Hanchova would have won
over Jen. Venus and Hingis, or Serena, Jen and Hingis.... to say
the least if Kim was healthy at this tournament, Hanchova
can't win over her, Serena, Jen or Hingis

they were not here, so nobody can say what would happen. Martina were in great shape (she won all her match in straight sets...please)

Chibuku14
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:20 PM
So you foregot what you wrote yourself. Maybe you were
sleeping when you wrote these meaningless things.
But let me refresh your memories.

The thread: The player to beat in this tournament.

What did you say in your response?

Let me ask you one question, when Hantushova never started
playing or before she won this tournament, who was your
favourite? I am sure it is Jen. Her win over Martina will never
change my mind for anything. I am V/S fan and I will always
remain no matter what happens. If you are true fan, it doesn't
matter how the game goes with your fav. player you have to
stay positive.

alessandrochus
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:30 PM
as I already post, I'm not a Hantuchova fan. My favourite player is Mary Pierce. Moreover I admire Monica Seles and love Jennifer and Adriana serra zanetti (My avatar). Anyway, if I see a player who can play a wonderful tennis I have no problem to admit it, even if she's not one of my favourite. And if one of my favourite plays a terrible match (like jennifer against serena in scottsdale) I have no problems to admit it too.

by the way, which was my answer to that thread?

ciao

:wavey: