PDA

View Full Version : The Domination Times are OVER...

Oizo
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:59 PM
The Eurosport commentator said, that the domination times in women`s tennis are now over. Itīs not like the times when Navratilova, Evert, Graf, Seles dominated, REALLY DOMINATED the tour. :eek:
What is your opinion. Do you like it? I think itīs great to see so many good players out there instead of seeing each time the same winner. ;)
:bounce: :wavey: :cool: :D

Volcana
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Two players won the last seven GS titles. The more things change.... :)

Seriously, the skill of the challengers HAS grown. It IS good someone outside the same group of four or five players win the Tier I's. You really don't know who's going to win a WTA event. The ITF events, the slams, are another story.

Venus and Jenn are on a streak that only a few pairs have achieved.

BJK and Margo
Martina and Chris
Steffi and Monica

V & J aren't on that level yet, but certainly they are the 3rd most accomplished GS pair in the Open era. (Court/King was mostly pre-Open era.) Seven straight GS titles between them. Dominance isn't dead. It's just being slapped around in a dark alley right now.

Oizo
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Yes Volcana you are right, you really donīt know who will win a wta event nowadays. :cool:
Thanx for the cool infos :D

Oizo
Mar 18th, 2002, 11:29 PM
BUMP !!:rolleyes:

Bright Red
Mar 19th, 2002, 01:13 AM
I don't think domination is over. The Williams Sisters, for example, are still quite young. Everyone's getting better, but so are the Sisters.

Kart
Mar 19th, 2002, 01:20 AM
I can see Venus still dominating to an extent (she's the only one who beats all of the rest consistently), but she's never going to play as many tournaments as the rest so there will always be others to take her place when she's not around.

However, if Venus doesn't step up to the task I don't really see any of the other players doing it - they're all too capable of beating one another.