PDA

View Full Version : Hingis: Deementieva has the best shots on tour, but her serve is her weakness

AnaIvanovicFan
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:06 PM
so she thinks elena is the best player on tour ;)

mboyle
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:07 PM
source?

Sugiyama=#1
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:08 PM
She is not the only to think so.
Other than Lindsay Davenport, her groundstrokes are better than anyone on tour, even Kim Clijsters.
And I dont think her serve is that much of a secret.

AnaIvanovicFan
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:08 PM
eurosport

volta
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:23 PM
LOL well you don´t need to be a genious to know that her weak point is the serve.
she has some of the nicest shots but not the bests.Rena can hit almost everything when she´s IN.

bailey
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:28 PM
well, Martina said that while zurich tournament, although I think she said that Elena was the perfect player except she has no serve and that Amelie did not deserve Nr. 1 because she didn't even reach a GS-Final!

JLDementieva
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:31 PM
haha Martina, tell us something we DON'T know ;)

les battersby
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:31 PM
I seen this interview.:) She remarked that Elena could become the new number1 in Ladies tennis next year, providing she doesn't date Lleyton Hewitt.;)

lakeway11
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:27 PM
Hingis should know very well of the weak serve :(

Pengwin
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:29 PM
Hingis should know very well of the weak serve :(

ooh cuss :p

Ryan
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:31 PM
She thinks Elena has the best shots on the tour, but NEVER said she was the BEST player on the tour. :)

invictus
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Well, many things like that can be said:

Lindsay Davenport, best shot maker on tour but lacks movement.
Dementieva, best speed on court but lacks serve.
Maleeva, best drop shot on tour but lacks everything else :o (Aide Maggie :D)

jcaprulez
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:48 PM
She's reached two slam finals with that serve. There's obviously something special about her shots.

Athena
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:50 PM

excellent point. But Elena's groundies is definitely one of the best around. But that serve needs to be overhauled. :devil:

Chunchun
Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:32 AM
Martina :yeah: :kiss:

fammmmedspin
Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:42 AM
Elena's groundies are magnificent but who beats whom in the top 15 doesn't depend on just that does it. Sveta beat her partly because of the serve at the USO but the rallies were not all dementieva's and Myskina certainly doesn't rely on Elena's serve to beat Elena .

Doc
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:00 AM
I don't think Martina has said anything new.

You could see against Suggs today, how pitiful Elena's serve was 80% of the time. it was the poor serve that let Sugiyama back into the match after the 1st set. If Elena ever did get a serve comparable to Bovina's or Molik's or Lindsay's or Maria's, I would put good money on her to be number one (provided she went to see that psychologist about her nerves against certain players). Alyona's movement and groundstrokes are incredible.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:03 AM
Elena is a great fighter, thats how shes wins soo much these days :D

Great Athlete :D :p :kiss:

bmxbandit
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:31 AM
No shit Mrs. Sherlock (referring to Hingis ;))

SzavayFi
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:33 AM

Daniela Hantuchova, wins almost every time but chokes too much :p

tennischick
Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:38 AM
the Demented Diva's game actually reminds me of Hingis'. the difference is that Hingis tended to hit off her back feet while Dementieva moves more properly INTO the shot ;)

rabbit_boi_313
Oct 23rd, 2004, 08:20 AM
:yeah: and :worship: @Hingis

Slumpsova
Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:15 AM
i agree with Hingis this time. Elena's groundstokes are her weapon. if she can fix up her serve, she'll be the most dangerous player on tour.

Zarus!
Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:25 PM
I don't think Martina has said anything new.

Of course, after Kremlin Cup finals Lena D even herself joked about her bad serve in her speech - so its definitiely not a secret :)

Chriskip
Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:47 PM
Well Hingis offering her opinion is nothing new. However I dont know about anyone else but I usually take her opinions lightly. Not to say Elena isnt good...she is. However Hingis comes off to me as being slightly biased. I dont think we would hear her saying Davenport, Amelie, Venus or Serena are the best on tour........when they are actually playing the best that is. Take for instance last year......she was all on the Kimmie Poo bandwagon when Justine was playing much better, only not every single week like Kim. Also when Serena was soooo dominant on tour that she could hardly be beaten her opinions were to search for other players and to single out things they should do to beat her. She didnt acknowledge the dominance then......and true dominance it was.

So in my humble "opinion" I think she must really like Elena...even if she continues the trend of winning a tourney one week and losing first round the next.

Katha-Ger
Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:56 PM
However Hingis comes off to me as being slightly biased. I dont think we would hear her saying Davenport, Amelie, Venus or Serena are the best on tour........when they are actually playing the best that is.

:yeah: because of that i do not want to see her interviews :rolleyes:
And of course elenas`s groundstrokes are great :tennis: but i think a few of the others player`s groundstrokes are not worse....no word about them :ignore: